Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 3rd Aug 14, 10:08 AM
    • 2,270Posts
    • 13,815Thanks
    BookWorm
    BookWorm's MFW Chapter
    • 3rd Aug 14, 10:08 AM
    BookWorm's MFW Chapter 3rd Aug 14 at 10:08 AM

I’ve been lurking around these parts for a good while now with occasional posts here and there. However, after reaching what I consider to be a milestone with my mortgage (will come back to that shortly), I felt the time was right to start my own diary. I figured if I don’t now, I may never do so!

It was after reading some of the inspirational diaries on here that caused me to have my ‘light bulb moment’ back in 2012. Until then, I didn’t really know about overpaying a mortgage – and certainly didn’t know what a positive effect even small amounts can have. It also caused me to review my spending overall (and whilst I wasn’t bad by any means), it certainly made me think and become very aware of where I could become better.

I’m in my mid 30’s, single and although I have an ok paying job, I’m unlikely to get my mortgage cleared anytime soon. Money only goes so far after all and I do still want some semblance of a life in the meantime. However, I figured all progress is good right (thinking tortoise and the hare!)

Ok so on to the figures:

Mortgage taken out June 2010 with 10% deposit – initial rate 6.59% fixed for 3 years - initial balance 104499. 25 year term due to finish July 2035

(I had no one to advise me not to add the fees to the balance – lesson 1 learnt!)

LBM – October 2012 – still on the scary rate – balance 100,664.70

2013 – started with a balance of 100,499.88 – during the year I dropped to the SVR of 4% which was a welcome relief. However, after being around these parts, I continued to OP the difference in payments which means it does tick along nicely. I remortgaged in November and as the extra OP’s had dropped me below 85% LTV and I wanted to fix again for peace of mind. I now have a rate of 3.75%. which is fixed until March 2016. I got 100 cashback as I stayed with the same provider which duly went on as an OP! I’m hoping that I can get down to below 75% LTV by the time the deal runs out (and if I can manage 70% so much the better!)

2014 – started with a balance of 94,591.34. Ok now back to the milestone. As of today, my balance is 89,733.43! I have dropped into the 80’s for the first time!!

I have also worked out that the monthly interest will push me back into the dreaded 90’s by 12.30… so I have to make sure that I can OP by at least that much as there is no way I want to creep back over that threshold. I have 9 owing from survey payments and so I’m confident I can do this.

So here is the start of my diary (if not the journey itself).
    Everyone is welcome…I’d love some company along the way. So pull up a chair, have a brew and make yourselves at home.

BW
    Last edited by BookWorm; 10-01-2015 at 9:14 PM.
Page 60
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 17th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Good Morning

I've been away visiting relatives for a few days. Been really lovely to take some time out and just forget the 'real world' for a while. I've read 4 books since I was here last and I can't remember the last time I got chance to do that (or even have the brain capacity for it!).

Also had some trips out - to visit an NT property that I have wanted to see for a while, plus some other towns/villages that often go through or past but don't usually get chance to see. Lots of food and drink too - so need to get back to being good now.

Not much to report on the survey front as I've not really been online much. However, have received a 6 e-voucher which have already put to use on some new books!

Small OP of 7.54 also made. PB payment should be with me any day now too

I didn't sleep well last night so decided to get up and on with the few jobs that I need to do today. Laundry done and I've also popped out to the SM to stock up on a few fresh bits and pieces I needed.

This afternoon will be mostly chilling and catching up with tv shows

BW x
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 17th Apr 17, 11:58 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Just upgraded my phone contract. Wanted to renew with current provider and remain on a SIM only deal. Was looking to reduce data as I get nowhere near using current limit. However, there wasn't a cheaper option for equivalent or slightly smaller amount. So have ended up with a higher data limit (and same unlimited calls/texts) for 3 less a month. Madness on their part but I'm pleased
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 35,341 Thanks
    CathT
    Great phone deal. Sounds like your time away was very relaxing and mindful. Hope you get chance to take some time out again soon.
    June 2010 121,287
    May 2017 - part 1 - 81,782
    -part 2 - 46,814
    Total - 128,596
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 17th Apr 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Hi Cath. It really has been relaxing - just what I needed! I'm looking into when I can have the next lot of time off
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 17th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    I've listed 5 things on the Bay of E today and 1 has already sold
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 17th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Item number 2 has also been sold
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 18th Apr 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Item number 2 has also been sold
    Originally posted by BookWorm
    I've listed 5 things on the Bay of E today and 1 has already sold

OOps posted wrong way round - never mind.

Great news on the ebay front - it gets quite addictive. I (or should I say my mum) took 11 parcels to the PO today Get listing !!!
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69,2016/3186.80
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 18th Apr 17, 9:17 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Hello AFK - I am never going to be a big seller - every now and then when having a clear out will do for me. I do like the extra cash though Sadly this batch of cash won't be going as an OP - I need to put it towards the unexpected bill for getting my car paintwork sorted. But it all helps right
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 19th Apr 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Not much to report today other than a small OP of 10.40 - claimed from PB survey payment

Edit - slight fib there as also claimed a 10 voucher from CP
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 20th Apr 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Loooong day at work today. Pleased to be home. Wish it was another 4 day weekend

Another item sold All helps

Off to veg out on the sofa
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 21st Apr 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Bonus afternoon at home which is although not feeling so brilliant as have a lingering headache that can't seem to shift today

Small OP made of 10 today

Also been invited back to the RM survey. Start again in about 6 weeks or so.
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 22nd Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Headache has cleared today and I've been outside enjoying the surprise nice weather.

Few errands run this morning and then a visit to the hairdresser this afternoon. That always makes me feel better.

Cooked some Italian chicken & veg for tea and now looking forward to a chilled evening catching up on some tv viewing, maybe a film too

BW x
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 22nd Apr 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Hello AFK - I am never going to be a big seller - every now and then when having a clear out will do for me. I do like the extra cash though Sadly this batch of cash won't be going as an OP - I need to put it towards the unexpected bill for getting my car paintwork sorted. But it all helps right

Hello, Wish I was a big seller, look on in amazement at other sellers and how they get so many bids. It takes me ages to list an item, there must be a quicker way, just haven't worked it out yet, need step by step instructions on anything technical.

But worth it when I see that little no 1 beside the alarm bell & "Post Now" coming up.
    Sad, I know, but it all helps, and I am very grateful for that.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69,2016/3186.80
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 1st May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Good Morning

Can't believe we are in May already This year is absolutely motoring along.

I've not been around either mainly cos work has been mad busy and so online time has been suffering.

I've also had a trip to London to see the Harry Potter play (which was amazing and I recommend for anyone who is a fan or even just thinking of seeing it)

Money/survey news:

- 10 CP voucher claimed
    - 15 VO voucher claimed
    - 3 PC payment received & OP'd
    - 20.61 total OP made of various small amounts - cashback, etc

Jobs for today:

- house insurance quotes/comparisons ( boring so this may well get postponed)
    - drop off some bday bits for a friend's little boy (this will also involve a cuppa and some cake so likely to get done )

Have a lovely BH everyone

BW x
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 1st May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 9,267 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    I've also had a trip to London to see the Harry Potter play (which was amazing and I recommend for anyone who is a fan or even just thinking of seeing it)
    We just bought tickets for May 2018. Looking forward to it.
    MFW: Dec '13 197,100 / Dec '14 180,691 / Dec '15 161,669 / Dec '16 119,669 / May '17 105,084.91 (6,000 offset)
    Payment 40/84 / 2017 MFW #56: 14,583/20,000 72% / MFiT-T4 #15: 54,415/90,000 60%
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 1st May 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    We just bought tickets for May 2018. Looking forward to it.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Awesome - you will have a fab time
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 4th May 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Evening

It's been a whirlwind couple of days. Ended up having to take some clients out on Tuesday night at very short notice ...on plus side, it meant I got dinner out

I feel like I'm still catching up with myself after the BH weekend too. Looking forward to some chill time at home this week.

Money News:

Late with this month's money shuffle. However done now

Daily interest - dropped by a further 3p this month - now 3.63
    Current LTV is now 62.70% (down from 63.08%)

So things are ticking along in the right direction.

BW x
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 6th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    I think I must have been tired... I slept for 11 hours

Woken up to a very grey and drab day - not yet sure of my plans. Having and pondering. Although I do know I need to catch up on some surveys this weekend, been a bit lax this week

I booked some tickets last week for a comedy gig in January and they have arrived today. They were accompanied in the mail by a 5 JL voucher If only all mail was that interesting

BW x
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 6th May 17, 3:27 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Has anyone been watching ' Second Chance Summer'? I've just caught up on this weeks episode. I don't know that I would be brave enough to move to another country if I couldn't speak the language it's making interesting viewing - and the scenery is also fantastic. Does make me hanker after going to Italy again though
    • CathT
    • By CathT 6th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 35,341 Thanks
    CathT
    That's a mammoth sleep, must have been needed! It's been really dreary here today aswell and tomorrow is promised to be better.

'second chance summer' sounds interesting, I'll have a look out for it.
    June 2010 121,287
    May 2017 - part 1 - 81,782
    -part 2 - 46,814
    Total - 128,596
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,337Posts Today

4,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin