Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 28th Jul 14, 11:24 AM
    • 1,056Posts
    • 6,112Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Life begins again at 45
    • 28th Jul 14, 11:24 AM
    Life begins again at 45 28th Jul 14 at 11:24 AM
    This is the 28th Monday I have been off sick due to my disability.

Rather than totally focusing on my ill health.

I wanted to begin to focus on positive things, to be proactive and regain some control in my life......... One area to do this is focusing on our budget and debt, especially as SSP is about a quarter of my salary.

I know that this year is going to be a turning point . I am determined that this will be life affirming.

I do count myself very privileged my OH and I live in a beautiful bungalow, over looking a water meadow near the Thames (was a little scary this year, when we became Noah's Ark, when the area flooded).

We have two cats , nice cars, the ability to go on holiday, heat andhave yummy food in our tummies.

However we have a reasonable amount of debt built up from making improvements on our home and escaping life for R & R.

We are also both disabled and so we do have many additional costs along the way, if we want to live life in a healthy way. We both qualify for DLA but we may loose this under PIP despite having life time awards due to CP (me) and triple amputee (OH).

Neither of us have worn our disabilities as who we are, we both have worked full time, in good jobs thanks to our parents refusing special schools in the 1970's and us getting fantastic academic educations.

Now my disability is impacting my health and I worry about our debt, and how I am going to be able to financially contribute to our lifestyle in the future.

So, this diary is about debt busting and exploring how I can creatively improve my income from home. (Going out to work is going to be severely restricted going forward).

Look forward to sharing my world to others .....
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 28-07-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling !
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
Page 33
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 47,244 Posts
    • 169,815 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy anniversary

Nasty nasty woman
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 8,146 Posts
    • 45,028 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Happy anniversary

Nasty nasty woman
    Originally posted by beanielou
    From me too Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in September- 3/5
    Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 13th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Monday 12th May
    Achieved Today:

Pilates session

Finally completed Christian Aid Paperwork, and everything is ready to bank :

Supper out of fridge and freezer - using stocks up

Washing done

Had me time reading my book

This was a NSD both from and the household
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jun 17, 7:08 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,341 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy Anniversary xx Boo to the nasty woman Fab to see all those positives though
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 14th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Tuesday 14th June
    Achieved today
    • Physically banked cash and got Christian Aid paperwork signed off
    • Obtained performance licence and scripts for my directorial debut with local amateur dramatics
    • Helped cook supper
    • attended church meeting
    • only spent on food/domestic essentials and one planned item in town
    • Updated personal spending diary - finally

Spent £1.50 orange nail varnish #holidaynails
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 14th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 12,655 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Belated Happy Anniversary, Bubbles!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 47,244 Posts
    • 169,815 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Morning all, I hope that everyone is coping with the heat, I am on count down to my hols

Will endeavour to catch up diary today....
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Wednesday 14th June
    OH has a cold... and feeling grotty, so our morning starts with calling off dinner nr Heathrow with in laws who are off on holiday... ( can't disguise my relief) I have no energy to sit in rush hour traffic on the airport ring road in this weather to then make polite conversation...

Today was the day to sort my Amateur dramatics responsibility ... me directing the next play is getting closer.

I also talked to ineptness of Nat West, trying to get online and their communication is dire....

Afternoon spent swearing .... yes honestly. I had my last health and wellbeing session on assertive communication. He taught me this technique about voicing my anger towards a person / situation, in a healthy manner. This meant, writing down something that happened. Factual and how I felt. Then in the privacy of just me ... I need to vocalise my angry feelings about the situation, and as he pointed out the best way was to swear .... now one of the most strictest rules of my childhood was not to swear ( alongside not to lie, even a white lie) so I find doing both very difficult . He told me I had to get over this... and so he made me repeat a sentence with lots and lots of swearing in it, over and over again

I did feel better and empowered...

Then I had to construct a polite but assertive sentence to say to the person themselves ( without swearing)

Made me really think and I am going to repeat this, to get lots of things out of my system....

PS ideally you need to confront the person and the issue, to lay it to rest... hmmmm

As OH was feeling really grotty I cooked tea . Don't know why I had not cooked meat in the Tagine someone gave me a few years ago... I used some lamb I had in the freezer for a stew and used up half an aubergine, slow cooked low heat 21/2 hrs and the meat just fell apart ... yum!
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Thursday 15th May
    We had a stay at home day today, OH was still working but feeling rough

I had my regular massage, and although was great, I still feel very crooked.

I spent the day working through jobs that we need to do before disappearing...

some were nice things like booking a couple of restaurants for holiday.

Others like talking to the vets telling them about official cat sitters

I had a long list and enjoyed striking them through with my felt tip... small pleasures...

This included sitting and sorting finances. New debt amount £1789.59

It was going to be another household NSD but both of us had to go to see people to get signatories, so we both pushed ourselves out and then render voused in the pub, so there pints two crisps and a packet of cashews later on the plus side, it was different four walls and a mini date night

Plus I cooked ... using up fish fingers, broad beans, mangetoe and chips
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Friday 16th June
    OH had full on streaming cold, and did not work

We both sat in the living room with little energy and inclination to do anything.

OH had to go out to deliver some papers, so he did a few bits of shopping

I cancelled going out with the girls in our road, I had a headache all day and I know it would be a heavy drinking session, that I didn't want to be part of. This was .

We had quiche ( bought) and then used up vegetables.

Early night for both of us, although I struggled to get to sleep with pain, pins and needles and twitching plus the heat...
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Happy anniversary

Nasty nasty woman
    Originally posted by beanielou
    See post 14th June 2017
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Saturday 17th June
    Today was planned to be apart.

Fortunately OH felt better and went off to his horticultural show, sadly without any exhibits but with his Chairpersons hat on, must be the heat, as it didn't go that well, the prize giving spreadsheet was too complicated and not many prizes were given out.

I was heading for Essex, for an 80th birthday party of my Mum's friend. fortunately timing was 2pm - 5pm so I could have a slow start to the day. I managed to dress up, and left via card shop. It took me over 2hrs . Thank goodness for air conditioning...

My Mum's friend is an inspiration to me, originally diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, she worked with my Mum and three other girls in the City in the 60's. She lives alone in her family home, has to use a heavy duty power chair, and has to be hoisted everywhere, don't think she can walk at all now.

Her neighbours arranged "A Bit of a Do" as she would say... in her local pub, where she goes most days to eat, and which is the social hub to meat her. Over 50 family and friends came.

What was special to me, was she and My Mum worked with three other girls, another also no longer with us, but the other two were there. I had not seen them for a decade. It was just so lovely to be with them.

She wanted no gifts, donations if we wish to a charity called Saving Faces that she support.

We remembered Jo Cox and the Great Gettogether

Finally toasts to the two Queens. The Queen ( wasn't her statement on Saturday, beautiful, throat tightening and so powerful) then the Queen of Chingford!

I drove home avoiding M25 on the North Circular it was oK and only took just over an hour.

We were both shattered so this was an occasion for a takeaway, beer and ER !

Collapsed into bed...
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 22nd Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Sunday 18th June
    I struggled to church and did my projector duty, fortunately all was fine.

In laws came for a late lunch - BBQ and to fit a top box on our car - we bought the bars and borrowed their box.

I was rather surprised at the laziness of the two teenagers. Mum and Dad had to make up plates of food which was simply putting a burger in a bun. They wouldn't eat anything else. Actually I say had - I must say it was the adults encouraging this behaviour, I kept hearing my mother who would say "What did your last servant die of?! I was expecting us all to sit round the table no chance!

The rest of the day was resting = the heat!
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 22nd Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Monday 19th June
    I had two things i my diary: Pilates and a meeting with the other SABP rep, I cancelled Pilates, he cancelled our meeting.

I was relieved, it is so hot, I am really struggling with fatigue and I believe I am really crooked in my body.

I concentrated on finishing all my admin jobs and the washing. !

I am up to date with my financial affairs

We were eating up from our fridge, left overs from yesterday's BBQ

I am rather addicted to Line of duty.... Series 2 ( then 3)
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 22nd Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Tuesday 20th June
    Trip to the Big Smoke for treatment....

Later start, which was helpful arrived at my favourite cafe, to go to the toilet ( it has a very good accessible toilet) to fin that they had run out of my favourite pain au raisin.... sat out with an almond croissant instead

Found that my massage therapist is staying put at the mo ... great relief, fantastic treatment but very sore afterwards ...

Lunch outside at the St Martins in the Field Cafe was lovely, if you ever what a lovely lunch outside under a canopy, nr Trafalgar Square, its the place to be, they have rugs in Spring/Autumn.

Decided to "Walk" Wheel back across the Jubilee Bridge at Charing Cross, needed the loo again (heat, water ) sadly found both accessible loos on the ground floor of the Royal Festival Hall were occupied, and because I waited, my fears which were confirmed by a member of staff was that homeless people were sleeping in them. Eventually ended up on the fifth floor - Relief!

Also found a knitting group, lovely chat with them need to see if I can time my appointments for the third tuesday in the month to join them after treatment.

The train home was like an oven so didn't do much ..... more Line of duty

PS but I did buy a book recommended by massage therapist Mindfulness for Compassionate Living £14.99 A handheld fan £3.60A lipliner £3.99 and finally Line of Duty 3 £11.99 Oh dear
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 22-06-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: PS
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 22nd Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Wednesday 21st June
    I spent most of yesterday melting, I suspect I wasn't the only one.

What did I do:
    • ]Tidy the house, in readiness for the cat sitters
    • Gather items on Packing list
    • Sort Guest room in readiness for cat sitters
    • work out domestic chores required before leaving
    • Give myself the afternoo off to watch Royal Ascot
    • Early to bed, fatigue management - Line of Duty

I also watched the state opening of parliament so full of admiration for our Queen, what she wore and thatch was off quick to get to Windsor

We are getting there only 1 sleep to Rick Astley and 2 sleeps to my summer holibobs
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 22-06-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: State Opening
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 47,244 Posts
    • 169,815 Thanks
    beanielou
    Excellent news on summer holibobs. Enjoy

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 22nd Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,259 Posts
    • 23,341 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Enjoy Rick and have a fabulous holiday xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 47,244 Posts
    • 169,815 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your holidays went/are going well.
    Missing you xxx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin