Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 28th Jul 14, 11:24 AM
    • 1,048Posts
    • 6,016Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Life begins again at 45
    • 28th Jul 14, 11:24 AM
    Life begins again at 45 28th Jul 14 at 11:24 AM
    This is the 28th Monday I have been off sick due to my disability.

Rather than totally focusing on my ill health.

I wanted to begin to focus on positive things, to be proactive and regain some control in my life......... One area to do this is focusing on our budget and debt, especially as SSP is about a quarter of my salary.

I know that this year is going to be a turning point . I am determined that this will be life affirming.

I do count myself very privileged my OH and I live in a beautiful bungalow, over looking a water meadow near the Thames (was a little scary this year, when we became Noah's Ark, when the area flooded).

We have two cats , nice cars, the ability to go on holiday, heat andhave yummy food in our tummies.

However we have a reasonable amount of debt built up from making improvements on our home and escaping life for R & R.

We are also both disabled and so we do have many additional costs along the way, if we want to live life in a healthy way. We both qualify for DLA but we may loose this under PIP despite having life time awards due to CP (me) and triple amputee (OH).

Neither of us have worn our disabilities as who we are, we both have worked full time, in good jobs thanks to our parents refusing special schools in the 1970's and us getting fantastic academic educations.

Now my disability is impacting my health and I worry about our debt, and how I am going to be able to financially contribute to our lifestyle in the future.

So, this diary is about debt busting and exploring how I can creatively improve my income from home. (Going out to work is going to be severely restricted going forward).

Look forward to sharing my world to others .....
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 28-07-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling !
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
Page 26
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 8th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Monday 6th March
    The trouble with an active weekend is I end up washed out on the Monday.

However, I did manage to get to Pilates

I did finishing washing up all the stuff from Sunday lunch, ( well except the oven tray ooops ) I HATE WASHING UP

I did complete some admin work - the budget for the upcoming joint production.

I did go to rehearsals and sorted the props sourcing list

So despite lots of fatigue I have achieve some things - things i order a rubber fake chicken
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 08-03-2017 at 2:58 PM. Reason: added fake chicken
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 21,071 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thought you had only just got around to Sunday's washing up - then saw the date You do better than you think.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 9th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Thought you had only just got around to Sunday's washing up - then saw the date You do better than you think.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    , and thats the stuff that doesn't go in the dishwasher

Thank you, I do appreciate those kind words that remind me that I am doing Ok.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 9th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Tuesday 7th March
    Lent:

I am trying to do two things for Lent, firstly I have given up bread, we have a bread maker and so either white bread (my favourite ) and wholemeal bread is often on tap. I also love crusty rolls, pure comfort food.

Secondly doing the opposite #40Acts of generosity. You get an email everyday. Todays is about listening.

It is my cleaners day, and I think I have mentioned before she has had great tragedy in her life at the moment. Well today I was given three opportunities to listen to her, and I hope bring comfort. On the third occasion I suddenly realised I was multitasking with my phone, I put it to onesie and really concentrated on her. So often we multi task don't we and not give our full attention to people.

I did have a busy day:

In the morning:

I made it to the bank with the box office takings
    I made it to the post office and sent a memory scarf to a friend
    I made it to the charity shop with bags
    I made it to the dry cleaners to pick up the duvet
    I made it to the supermarket bought crusty rolls for OH and did not eat them
    I made it to the local sports shop and bought new pilates trousers - well running trousers and they were selling them off

In the afternoon

I picked up Mr Borrow My Doggy and had a small walk as still have scooter problems...

In the evening - flopped in front of the TV with the cat on my lap, we had a meat free dinner, very yummy and low cost broccoli/cauliflower bake from a Slimm3rs W@rld. We started watching Broadchurch - back to the form of the first series.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 9th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Wednesday 8th March
    After being out and about yesterday, I needed a quiet day at home... it was a mixture of a few chores, lots of admin and reading... I was at that point in the book where I just wanted to finish.

I am fortunate I can grab a few minutes and read a few pages, and then get on with things.

I did to OH's amusement finish my book - The Virgin' Lover by Phillipa Gregory, its gone in the charity bag.

I did get to rehearsals and sorted props out, including going up rummaging in the loft space!

I am still on a run with no personal cash spending ( PS this is not DD spending see below_
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 10-03-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: PS
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 9th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 12,579 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hi Bubbles,

Just caught up with the last two pages of your diary.. Want to say thanks for writing; you are an inspiration to all of us warriors!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 21,071 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Pleased to read you're getting loads done and sounding more upbeat
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 10th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Thank you friends for your kind words ... they are much appreciated.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 10th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Financial update
    Finally braved the financial spreadsheets

Direct Debit spending in the last few weeks as follows:

Charity

Church ( monthly) £20
    JST (100 club) (monthly) £5
    Friends of the Church (annual) £10

Mobile - (monthly) - £13.37 - I renegotiate the contract and halved it

Social Media

Hootsuite ( monthly) £11.99
    750 Words (monthly) 4,16
    Apple Storage (monthly) £0.79
    Ancestry (monthly) £13.99

I need to think and pray about this, if I am serious about reducing my debt.

My "pocket money" goes towards:

Clothes and Shoes
    Meals out with my friends when I am not with OH
    Coffees on my own or not with OH
    Books & magazines
    Make up & perfume
    Craft items or actual craft courses
    Presents for OH
    Mobile
    Charity donations that are specific to me ( i.e. church) as my OH is not a christian
    Music i.e. iTunes
    Other social outings that I do Chez moi
    Stationery

PS - since the new year, I have not bought anything that relates to books, magazines, make up, perfume, craft items and courses, clothes, music or social outings chez moi. unless previously planned.

Previously planned - known before New Year and committed
    Sophie's book at book launch
    Pilates trousers

Oops spending
    Stationery - bought as a prop and not required

PPS

On my monthly trip to London to the Osteopath I try to do one "lovely" thing for me that is something to look forward to after painful treatment. I try to keep it as low cost as possible. Using my National Portrait Gallery Card and now my Picture House card. Often I have freebies on them, but sometimes I will in this year of fasting decide to do something that means £
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 10-03-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Adding PS & PPS
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 13th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Thursday 9th March
    Finally I braved the financial budget spreadsheets, and I have already posted my reflections on my personal spending . Food for thought that still has not been resolved.

Weekly sports massage, which was telling about how much tension I am carrying about not working as it was very painful.

I was looking forward to a meeting I had arranged to discuss a different volunteering role. OH had lent me the car so I could take my wheelchair with me.

So I arrive, note I had told them I was a wheelchair user to find their offices completely unaccessible! I had used a lot of energy to get my wheelchair out, to go a couple of hundred yards to then abandon it, and go up steps.

To say I had an interesting hours discussion, was an understatement, instead of walking away excited about the opportunities that were there. I went away feeling that I had to convince one person in particular that I would not be a risk, being in the said environment in my wheelchair. I was sad that instead of my skills and experience being the focus on how I could be an asset to the organisation it was how we managed other peoples expectations and risk assessments related to the fact my legs are my wheels . At the time I wanted to follow this through and show that disability doesn't matter. However, as the days go by I feel I don't want that journey, the battle for acceptance because of my disability. I just want to be me.

Got home shattered, physically as the aftermath from the massage and emotionally from this experience. OH was going out and so couldn't give me a life. I felt unsafe to drive and ducked out of amateur dramatics.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 13th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Friday 10th March
    I was dreading today, as we had decided to attend the memorial service of the family who died in the house fire a few weeks ago.

It was also my day yo have Mr BMD, new I couldn't drive, asked owner if she could drop off, she couldn't so it was a relief in away that I could have a quiet morning in front of my laptop.

At lunch time we drove to this old English church in the heart of the village, this was a surprise, as the family was catholic we thought it would be an RC church. Then I realised this memorial service was arranged by the families employers, and this was their church. It was perhaps fitting as the village who had got to know this young family in 4 years packed the church out. It was a harrowing service, a with tributes to all three people woven through with traditional english hymns, chosen to reflect the people being remembered. There was a lot to learn about this young family how have come from Portugal and Chile they strove to make a better life for themselves including the value of education. I had so much admiration for the class teacher who eloquently spoke about her young pupil and how much at old aged 6 his footprints had been left behind.

We didn't go on to the pub afterwards but sort solace with a friend on the way home. To talk about normal things, in his local, amongst people and where we could give thanks for our lives.

We didn't feel like going out to eat, with vouchers as planned, so ended up in the supermarket to get shepherds pie and a bottle of vino.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 13th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th March
    OH and Dad were off to Twickenham - OH gets free tickets as a wheelchair user

I had two hours of street collection duty to do dressed in a silly yellow hat for Marie curie, made people smile though and give some pennies.

So back to an empty house, and I took the opportunity for a long soak in the bath and to finish my book "Birds of a Feather: Jaqueline Winspear BLISS

Dad treated us to a curry and then we crashed in front of the TV - watched Broadchurch

Sunday I was not on duty so I stayed in all day, really really high fatigue levels, I either read, knitted and watched TV.

OH cooked supper Belly Pork with a Gary Rhodes Recipe, simple, onions pork, honey and pea mash, feed the soul food.

We both watched the Films Ides of March, now I love West Wing, and George Clooney so despite the film being American politics and Clooney I found it boring.

Just loved Call the Midwife.

Money wise - bit cross with myself got a coffee during a break in shaking tins and bought some lunch which I only ate half of as wasn't hungry

No cash PNSD's - I resisted a magazine "vague prop use" purchase on Friday
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 46,556 Posts
    • 165,488 Thanks
    beanielou
    Also loved Call The Midwife.
    So sorry to hear about your experience when you went to seek out different volunteering roles
    In this day and age
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 14th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Also loved Call The Midwife.
    So sorry to hear about your experience when you went to seek out different volunteering roles
    In this day and age
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou, it is an unusual role, as it is night based on the streets. However, one of the organisers was concerned that I would have to go on the road at times as the pavements were too packed (outside nightclubs). Thought I would be at risk in the road. But she thought it was ok that an 87 year old was a volunteer and not a risk.

Her view on wheelchair users was enlightening when she said with some amazement there are a few wheelchair users who use the nightclubs.

I couldn't get the message across that I was use to using the roads when there are no drop curbs and (although I didn't say it) probably safer than the older volunteer who might not be so nimble on their pins. As a wheelchair user who often has to navigate packed pavements in London at night, it wasn't an issue.

Hence my decision to quietly walk away....
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 14th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Monday 13th March
    My first tweet of yesterday sums up my start....

Its another Monday morning and instead of a commute to work I am debating how much I can do at home today.

Positive achievements of yesterday

* hot shower and breakfast
    *updated MSE Diary
    * updated family tree with new info
    * drove to Pilates - the pleasure of springtime roads
    * Pilates
    * Good deed - dropped Pilates tutor at garage
    * Cleared admin including a job reference
    * tided garden chairs blown over in Doris... both had avoided doing this
    * sorted more play props
    * sorted Goodie Christmas box from floor of OH study
    * dropped props off but not required
    * read book!

Not so good aspects of the day.

* lots of out of date Christmas goodies that I decided to eat
    * 2 large glasses of wine

( I feel rotten this morning Chronic fatigue crash/IBS - gut feeling - too much sugar )

OH car needs a new part and labour to fix approx £500

Despite being like Old Mother Hubbard and having very little in the cupboard - scratched together all three meals yesterday

Personal NSD
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 46,556 Posts
    • 165,488 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lots of positives

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 16th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Tuesday 14th March
    Really high fatigue day

Too much sugar and wine the day before

* wine as a treat while reading book last night
    * two much sugar from pass sell be date goodies

Positives

* listening ear given to friend
    * walk with Mr BMD - he was a real mischief but made me smile
    * finished The Summer House by Marcia Willetts

Resisted tea at the cafe while doggy walking so a PSND

Not so Good

* cancelled lunch invitation with a friend, at her lovely house
    * did not attend talk given by other friend
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 46,556 Posts
    • 165,488 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the hign fatigue day

• Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 16th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Tuesday 14th March
    THIS SHOULD BE WEDNESDAY 15th March!!!

Felt a different person when I woke up - benefited from the complete rest yesterday.

Suited and booted ( looking smart) left before 9am to drive round the M25 to Redhill

Morning was a foundation trust members meeting to give an overview of three initiatives about managing mental illness in different situations the judicial system, young persons advocacy and A & E.

Finished early, and could have stayed to a sandwich lunch ( bread = Lent) fortunately I had a lunch date. However, I had an hour before planned meet, and in days gone by would have relished the mooch around the town centre - there was the N3xt seconds and end of line shop instead I made a quick dash to S@insbury's for some items for OH and then to the restaurant and had half hour to myself over tea to catch up on the outside world, what did we do before internet on our mobiles!

A lovely catch up with my friend who I had not seen in 5 years - back in contact since the loss of her Mum ( the aborted trip to Crawley). I reflected though despite neither of us having children, her life revolves round grandchildren, having been a step mum to four children, although they never lived with her. Now her life revolves around them. Having Godchildren is not the same they grow up, and disappear, or you are not such a constant presence in their lives as perhaps a family member would be.

OH and I arrived home at exactly the same time - cats were not impressed

I was shattered, and when i was stood down from props duty, I clambered into my pj's and curled up with knitting and the TV.

Was out like a light.... with the sneaky feeling I done too much

Personal Spend Day £18 lunch
    Last edited by Bubblesmum; 16-03-2017 at 2:33 PM. Reason: Date
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 46,556 Posts
    • 165,488 Thanks
    beanielou
    You had a nice day though so dont beat yourself up.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,353Posts Today

8,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin