Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amycool
    • By amycool 25th Jul 14, 4:43 PM
    • 623Posts
    • 2,815Thanks
    amycool
    Second Time Lucky
    • 25th Jul 14, 4:43 PM
    Second Time Lucky 25th Jul 14 at 4:43 PM
    Hi,

Having got very close to becoming mortgage-free (about £8000 remaining) on our first house, we will soon be moving into the house that we intend to live in for a very long time, which means taking on another mortgage.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's diaries over the past few years and think it will be motivational to record our progress once we move in and start to overpay. I expect it will be incredibly dull to read for others so I hope nobody minds me taking up internet space.

Background - a little about me

My husband and I have been together since we were teenagers
    but we don't really share the same financial opinions. He is very laid-back with money and will spend it if it is there, but he's happy for me to budget how I see fit and trusts my financial decisions. I suspect I could remove £10,000 from the savings account and he wouldn't notice. I grew up in a household where every penny counted and for a time we relied on government benefits, so since being very little I have been very debt-averse and have always saved.

We have both worked since we were 15 and during university we lived with OH's parents. Things didn't go quite to plan with my career due to illness so we stayed there rather longer than planned, but they very kindly allowed us to live rent-free as we were saving for a deposit.

In Spring 2011 we bought our first home with a large deposit from our savings. The plan was to stay here for 5 years and pay off the mortgage (OH was still training when we bought but is now qualified and employed) but we realised we didn't want to keep waiting to have children and we wanted to move somewhere bigger first.

The Mortgage

Our new mortgage will be £70000 on a 2 year fix at 2.64%.
    Monthly payments are £500.

The short-term plan

The house needs work but we want to get into the habit of overpaying and knock a nice chunk off before we have children (hoping to adopt next year) so the initial plan is:

50% of anything left over to overpayments
    50% to be split between various savings pots
    Aim for a £10,000 emergency pot

Having been mega-frugal for a very long time I'm quite bad at spending money and if left to my own devices I would probably cut back on everything and overpay as much as I can. However, I'd quite like a nice house and the occasional holiday so by choosing 50% I can't go overboard.

Of course we might uncover all manner of things at the new house so I'm not setting a figure to aim for at the moment. Once we have moved in and worked out how much it will cost to run I will have a better idea.

The long-term plan

To be mortgage-free by the time we are 40

Page 30
    • amycool
    • By amycool 30th Aug 16, 1:41 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    Thank you lovely people. I keep trying to get on here to read other people's blogs but something always comes along.

Okay, rat update! Another £30 spent on rope, litter and food. Only the best for my babies! They are becoming a little TOO confident! I can't now just walk into the enclosure as they'll try to escape so I have to put down a step inside, then stand on a chair and climb in. Last time I did this one of them climbed right up me and tried to leap! We're thinking of a way to make the enclosure bigger. If I can get rid of my running machine (hopefully for some money although it's pretty old) and tidy the conservatory up a bit, then get a radiator cover, we could block off half of the conservatory and they'd have far more fun.

I have done 3 things off the To Do list. That's a start.

I'll be sewing name tags on this afternoon so that'll be 4.

We have bought DD a bike for Christmas. It was reduced to £63 and should last until she's 8 or 9. We ended up spending £17.50 on a Frozen helmet, but I thought better to get one she likes and then she'll actually wear it. We're collecting it Saturday and then hiding it! Means we really must clear out her old broken toys from the shed to make space.

This month I OP'd £250, which is £50 less than hoped, but we have had a lot of outgoings this month.

Big news - we have decided to get a new bathroom next year. It was meant to be the first thing we did as our bathroom is brown and beige with dangerous polystyrene ceiling tiles. Of course we had all of the damp problems and the money was gone! I had thought of leaving it a few more years, but considering every room in the house (apart from DDs) needs doing, we should probably start somewhere. We won't be able to save enough by next year as my driving lessons will eat any spare cash, so we'll have to use some of the savings. I feel less worried about this as the interest rates are so low, we may as well invest it in the house. It's a small bathroom so hopefully won't cost the earth. We're just having cheap white tiles around the shower and basin, with plastered walls and then some really nice tiles for the floor. We haven't worked out the details yet. It makes me feel good to know that hopefully this time next year I'll never have to see the brown and beige again. :-) The logistics of course will be awful!

We went to the beach. It went very well up until DD rubbed loads of sand into her eyes and screamed her head off. Then loads of traffic on the way home. At least it only cost £3.60 on 2 ice creams and diesel.

Bought DD a new winter coat for £14 from Asda. Nearly got the black one as it will look better for longer but gave in and got the pink one.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£47558.12- 32%
    Overpayments - £13731.82

Comp wins: Stabilo fineliners - £105 worth of men's clothes - Hair tints - Granola - Bar of Galaxy - Topsy and Tim book
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 31st Aug 16, 7:17 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    I'm the same here with a horrible bathroom! Mine is really special with ripped wallpaper, cracked bath panel, holes in the tiles.. sigh.

Sorry to hear the trip to the beach didn't end well. Hope you had fun prior to that!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 £1,747.75
    MFW (01/15) £118,031.21 £103,885.97
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 31st Aug 16, 8:16 AM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 22,218 Thanks
    in need of direction
    It was the first thing we did when we moved in here. We moved in at the end of November. One Christmas party too many meant the burnt orange bathroom suite had to go. Talking to god on the great white telephone is bad enough but on an orange one!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £88,264.44 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £6.3k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £4737.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 4th Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    Some evening ponderings...

The damp is back. We're gutted as we spent so much money and endured so much stress to get it fixed. For now, we've decided to live with it. We're going to put the roof vent back in (originally thought water was getting in there so tiled over) and move the room vent to the top, then paint over the stains. There's no way DD would cope with having to move rooms and as the damp is caused by hygroscopic salts, it isn't dangerous (mould can't grow in it). I'm naturally very anxious so keep panicking that the house will fall down.

On to more positive things...

I have a plan. The aim is to get some of my life back. For the past year (2 years really as the assessment was so intense) my life has revolved entirely around adoption and most of my hobbies have fallen by the wayside. With DD going back to school tomorrow, I don't want to get back into the habit of pottering around the house all day. I have a colossal to do list to contend with, but alongside getting caught up with the boring stuff I want to do actual activities!

So, firstly I am going to attempt to download the couch to 5k running podcast onto my new mp3 player and I'm going to run on Tuesdays, Thursdays and then either run or cycle on Saturdays. I have tried and failed to get back into running on numerous occasions so hopefully the podcast will make it more fun. I am very prone to injury due to my medication so 2-3 times a week is more sensible than the 3-5 times I used to do.

Secondly, I'm going to force OH to finally apply for a Leisure card as then we can start going swimming (it's about £1.50 cheaper with the card). Sunday mornings at 9am we are all going swimming. I think it'll be about £7.20 a time. Well worth it if DD learns to swim and OH and I get a bit fitter. DD loves swimming so she will be happy.

Thirdly, I'm going to book a driving lesson. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays will be driving lesson days once I find an instructor I like.

Fourthly, I'm dying to get some knitting done. I have tried to knit whilst DD is home but it doesn't work. "Are you nearly done?", "When will you be finished?" "It takes a long time doesn't it?" "I had hoped you would have finished by now" on repeat. I started a Barbie jumper the other day but even when it's for her she can't cope with the tortoise-like speed that I knit. So first I shall finish said jumper then decide which project to pick up. I have a lace shawl on the go, a crochet blanket, a tank top (doubt this will ever be finished!) and a single sock that needs a partner.

In house long term plan news,

We're thinking before we start any updating that we should get the electrics checked. I have a horrible suspicion that a full re-wire will be needed and I'd rather get it out of the way before spending any money on nice things. We also need said electrician to fit the chandelier (that I won years ago) and fix the burglar alarm (that goes off quite a lot).

Next will be the bathroom and we'll need an extractor fan and hopefully some wall lights, which should go smoothly with the nice safe electrics.

Once the bathroom is complete and paid for, we'll start saving for the living room. We need a new hearth and fire surround (ours is pebble dashed!!!!), all the anaglypta wallpaper stripping off and either sanding or skimming the walls, new curtains, new lampshade, new sofa and chair, and lots of solid shelving fixed to the walls, which we'll get a handyman to do as we've never successfully put up a shelf in our lives. The carpet is fine for a good few more years.

I can't imagine ever being able to afford any more, but one day in the far future we want to knock the kitchen and dining room through, brick up the kitchen door and put double doors in the dining end to the conservatory, then get a new kitchen. We also need new windows at the front.

We still want to overpay 50% of any money we have left each month so I might be old and grey by then but we'll have a lovely house all paid for!

Ponderings over. Bedtime. School tomorrow!
    Overpayments - £13731.82

Comp wins: Stabilo fineliners - £105 worth of men's clothes - Hair tints - Granola - Bar of Galaxy - Topsy and Tim book
    • amycool
    • By amycool 9th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    My mood can be summed up by the following sentence: I am sat eating a whole packet of Bourbon biscuits.

The week started really well but has got worse and worse. DD is struggling so badly this week (not due to school but being there without me isn't helping) and that resulted in an "incident", which now means one of the other mums is annoyed that I haven't punished by grieving devastated daughter. This all happened whilst OH was away so I spent last night and this morning crying.

In other rubbish news, I finally booked a driving instructor and I have a lesson today but I have no confidence at all that he'll be any good. I've spoken to him twice on the phone and he seems really doddery and not at all organised, which is what I wanted. I'm annoyed because I booked through a driving school and told them exactly the kind of instructor I wanted. This chap has now asked for directions to my house twice, so how is he going to guide me around the local streets??!! I'll then have the awkward situation of having to say he isn't right for me and that's £24 wasted.

Some better news - I have now done 2 "runs". It's week one of the couch to 5k so it's mostly brisk walking, and it nearly killed me both times. I shall be repeating this week at least once until my fitness improves. This isn't being helped by eating lots of biscuits.

In rat news - they're a bit quieter since DD went back to school. During the holidays they were up and about for at least an hour in the morning but now we can only tempt them out for food and they go back to bed. I hope they're not ill as OH starts his new job next week and won't be able to get time off for vet visits.

At least it's nearly the weekend.

Treated us to a chippy tea last night as me and DD are so low. I always forget that neither of us can manage even a small portion of chips - should have bought one between us.
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 9th Sep 16, 1:30 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    Think the first few weeks are always hard getting back into routine and it's a big change for any child to go from summer back into School with sooo much work! I had a letter home about 'homework expectations' -I hurumphed at it and flung it in the bin, every single weekend homework will be issued!!)

Keep chin up and well done for booking the lesson. The chap may be Ok!
    • amycool
    • By amycool 12th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    I feel really ill today, but I have so much to do!

So,

Driving lesson - he wasn't as bad as I had expected but I still didn't feel 100% comfortable with him. He was a bit too anxious (every time I went above 20mph!) and I'm already anxious enough on my own. I felt quite rubbish about how rusty my driving was and I'm dreading looking for another instructor so I'm just going to put it to one side for a few days. I had considered asking the driving school for someone else but they were quite rude when I spoke to them so I will try somewhere else. I could do with practising in a simulator for a bit just to remind myself of the basics without the added stress of other people!

Exercise - it's going well. My lung condition is pretty bad at the moment so I'm essentially out of breath from the moment I leave the house. The week 1 plan is consequently at the very limit of what I can manage. But I have managed it 3 times and I am happy to stick with week 1 for as long as I need to. It's hard though when it's getting more difficult rather than easier! The last one I decided to do laps around the park, which was a terrible idea! 15 laps is very very boring and I had to keep running past the same gang of lads!

We took DD swimming on Sunday and with the leisure passes it was only £7 for the 3 of us. The pool was packed though, which made it hard. I only did 4 full lengths and then lots of little bits with DD, who was doing brilliantly. She was starting to swim on her back and she can doggy paddle about 5 metres. I might try a different pool next time but I expect they're all very busy at the weekend.

School - they have a new plan in place for DD, which will hopefully help her. She told my mum at the weekend that she doesn't like school or her new teacher and that she only likes "womans". Hopefully it'll just take time. At least she went in with no tears today.

Jobs I have done -

Photographed the running machine for ebay
    E-mailed the boiler service man
    Collected my prescription (again - it wasn't in last week)
    Got leisure cards
    Bought DD outdoor PE kit and new pumps as she waited until this week to tell me the Velcro has gone.
    Ordered my yearly prescription card

Jobs to do -

Put running machine on ebay
    Get boiler serviced
    Take stuff to the tip
    Book dentist appointment
    Finish knitting Barbie jumper
    Put clothes away
    Ironing

I think that's enough for now. I find long lists terrifying.

In other news, OH started his new job today (not heard from him so he must be busy) and I've just found out my father has cancer. He left when I was 9 and has made zero effort to keep any relationship going. He also changed my grandmother's will so we were cut out completely so a bit of a nasty piece of work. His girlfriend is now trying to guilt trip my brother into seeing him but seeing as he showed no interest during the many times of hardship we have all faced, I feel no guilt. It's still weird, thinking of your dad possibly dying (survival rates are low but they caught it very early). It has actually triggered grief for a friend who died last year but as DD had just come home we had no time to grieve at the time.

Hoping this week gets better!
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 16,581 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi Amy

sorry to hear you're under the weather and have had the difficult news about your dad. I really identify with you on this one. My father left us when we were five and didn't keep in contact. We had very unhappy lives as a result. He tried to get in touch a number of times when we were adults but it was too late for me by then. I was grown up enough to realise that he was not a very nice person and not someone I would choose to have in my life. I have often wondered how I would feel if he died and have come to the conclusion that I'd feel exactly as I would for any other stranger.

Don't be guilt-tripped into doing anything that doesn't sit easy with you. Just do what you need to make sure you're ok with everything.

Family isn't the blood you carry - it's who you love and who loves you back.

Fortune x
    Emergency Savings: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 28%

"When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 12th Sep 16, 7:07 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    On the flipside, I was estranged from my father for 10 years or so and I always said if it got to the point where I'd regret it if something happened to him I'd get in touch and after 10 years I did.

My mother, well that's a whole other story!
    • amycool
    • By amycool 14th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    Fortune - My father has done some pretty rotten things over the years and I'll never forget the nights we sat waiting for hours for him to come and pick us up and he'd either not turn up or arrive drunk. I really have to struggle to conjure up even one nice memory of him. He also drink drives (every day) and I went through a period of hoping that if he crashed nobody else would be killed. It's weird though as my sister thinks she would visit him if he was dying (if anything she was treated even worse than me) and my brother (who I don't have any contact with) seems positively chummy with him. My other brother feels the same as me, but I guess we lived with him less as we're the youngest.

dfod - I did try to get back into contact with him when I was about 19 but he replied a month later saying he was too busy to see me, unless I wanted to meet at a pub (he's an alcoholic). Alcohol has always come before his family. Sorry to hear you have a tricky relationship with your mum. Families are hard work aren't they?

I am feeling very stressed today. Another incident at school yesterday and the child involved (DD wasn't the main perpetrator of said incident but she was part of it) was crying all evening. His mum is now being very off with me and we were quite good friends. I've tried to explain that DD's logical brain is not currently being engaged due to the very high levels of stress she's experiencing but I don't think she understands. This morning I found DD trying to smash the very expensive framed school photo. Lots of tears yesterday (hers not mine).

In other stressful news, the gift we ordered for my sister in law's wedding (they're currently not speaking to us as we won't make the 8 hour round trip to the venue with a distressed child), which is beautiful and expensive and personalised, has got lost in the post.

Oh well. Let's look at the to-do list:

Jobs to do -

Put running machine on ebay - done - already got a bid of £25 - hooray!
    Get boiler serviced - got it booked in for next week
    Take stuff to the tip - can't do until the weekend
    Book dentist appointment - still not done as we have 5 appointments next week
    Finish knitting Barbie jumper - not even started
    Put clothes away - done
    Ironing - done

I've also cut out the fabric for my lampshade makeover. We bought an old standard lamp from ebay for £5 a few years ago with a very old-fashioned shade. I got a fabric bundle a few months back, which had some really cool fabric in but it's a weird texture so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Well, I'm going to buy a glue gun at the weekend and re-cover the shade. I watched a video of how to do it but I imagine it's going to be harder than it looks.

I might also have enough for a cushion cover.

Other things that need doing:
    Get roof man to put vent back into roof
    Book an electrician to check electrics and fit chandelier
    Sort out a gift for Saturday's party
    Contact Mum of said party boy to check that it definitely lasts 2.5 hours
    Prepare ourselves for a 2.5hr birthday party and think of an exit strategy as DD definitely will not cope
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• Pushkin
    • By Pushkin 14th Sep 16, 2:19 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Pushkin
    Hi Amycool - I am feeling quite exhausted just reading your updates & stress. It never rains but it pours huh! Hope things start improving and that maybe you can get some me time soon in order to do whatever you like to do to unwind.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    It got worse!!!

Had quite a stressful busy weekend with quite a stressed DD.

Then had a long day at the hospital for my check up (every 3 months) and I got some really bad news. My lung function has plummeted over the past year. It's pretty terrifying and I got home and cried my eyes out, but then realised crying isn't going to help.

So two lots of antibiotics for 2 weeks, which is so frustrating as I'll have to put the running on hold, which was the only thing reducing my stress! I had hoped to run through it but the side effects are horrendous. My stomach feels like it's being eaten by acid and I wake up feeling like a zombie every morning. I am trying to do more physio to get as much of the infected gunk out as possible.

This means I couldn't have my flu jab, so that's on hold. I'm also due an asthma review.

DD has a doctor's appointment after school, so that'll be interesting trying to walk there. Me puffing and panting and her moaning and dawdling. I'm thinking lots of sweet treats to lure her (and me maybe)!

Phone calls from school almost daily at the moment. DD is constantly processing the trauma she has been through so we have tears every bedtime and every time I drop her off at school. She's been talking a lot at school about some of her experiences so we've also had other kids going home crying for fear that it might happen to them. Thankfully the parents affected have all been lovely but it's only a matter of time before one of the less understanding parents gets angry about it. I'm gradually growing a very thick skin.

Some family members have also been adding to the stress, suggesting that we are using DD as an "excuse" to not attend a wedding. I got quite angry at that. They have no idea. I somehow managed to hold all the swearing in until I got to chat to my Mum, where I had a mega-rant.

In other news, selling my treadmill was a right palaver. The highest bidder took 4 days to pay (kept putting it off) then e-mailed about a million times asking for directions, then turned up alone with a car. I made a point of saying it needs 2 strong people to lift it and a van. Luckily OH was home so helped the guy but apparently the plastic cracked as it was shoved in the car. This is why I give most things to charity - it's not worth the stress for £40!!

We got a refund for the lost wedding gift but still haven't got round to ordering another gift.

I have managed to tick off none of the things that need doing, but the washing is on and the rats have been cleaned out. It's better than nothing. :-)

Did I share my excellent news? If so, ignore this. I was wondering how on earth I was going to pay for driving lessons, and then I got back paid my holiday pay for last year! Should pay for all the lessons I need, unless I'm particularly awful. I also have another number of an instructor but I'll wait until I'm better. Just need to try very hard to save it and not overpay the mortgage with it.
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 23rd Sep 16, 1:17 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    I hear ya Amy.. the Head took one look at me this morning and shepherded me into her office for a talk. Very nearly another sob fest over her..

Great news re the holiday pay, you'll be driving in no time I bet.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 26th Sep 16, 10:26 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    Our head isn't particularly understanding but they have a pastoral lady who I've seen a lot!

So...

I managed not to spend ANYTHING at the garden centre. I have £7.50 in vouchers that expire in November but didn't see the point in rushing it. I struggle to pay that much for things like pansies and bulbs when you can get them at the supermarket for a third of the price. We'll probably end up getting compost.

I've decided that as I've run out of gardening excitement I'm not going to bother with veg next year. I'm just going to do flowers.

We did then spend about £30 at the big yellow and blue shop. Bizarrely, DD can't cope with being in the house but copes quite well in garden centres and furniture shops. We tried out the settees as ours is almost dead. We had hoped to get a big sofa bed at £350 but it was so uncomfortable that we're going to spend £450 on a 3 seater. Not yet though - need to decorate first. I got 2 big tupperwares for the shoe mountains at the front and back doors, a sieve, a spaghetti spoon, flannels (ours have holes in!), 6 small glasses (we break at least one a month), ice lolly moulds, straws, and another of those things you hang in the wardrobe to make more storage. We got some cake too.

No swimming costs this week as I'm too ill and DD was so naughty on Saturday that I said she couldn't go.

I'm in constant stomach pain or nausea so these tablets had better be ruddy working.

New wedding gift has been ordered and the bride informed of the delay.

Lampshade made - just need ribbon for along the bottom.

We've moved the computer downstairs, which is much nicer than sitting in the cold boxroom. The bookcase has gone in its place, which should make redecorating slightly easier.

The rats are causing us stress again! We have given them most of the conservatory now for running around and they just hide and try to escape! The settee in there is already wrecked and last night we almost had an escapee. So a rethink needed.

I'm wearing a thick jumper today so autumn must be coming. DD is like a little furnace and won't even wear a cardigan so I shall keep layering up! Smart meters being fitted on Thursday so I get the fun of little gadgets!

Something nice: we finally took DD on a canal walk. When we were applying to adopt I used to do the walk often and imagine walking with my child through the woods, looking at the different plants and fungi. Until now she has always been too anxious to really enjoy anything but yesterday she walked lovely most of the way without moaning and seemed to actually be able to appreciate nature. She wore her wellies and went through the puddles (she chose a long pink skirt, which is now a long brown skirt!) and we looked at fungi and different trees.
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• amycool
    • By amycool 26th Sep 16, 10:27 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    Oh, also, no idea when OH gets paid! Hoping it's no later than the 1st!
    Overpayments - £13731.82

• amycool
    • By amycool 29th Sep 16, 10:28 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    amycool
    I have pneumonia. So another 2 week course of a different, stronger antibiotic. DD is helping by having at least 2 meltdowns a day, mostly just before we go to school or she goes to bed. I have cried a lot.

Anyway, my bank account is looking lovely!! My holiday pay, plus 2 wages for OH (not full ones but they seem to add up to £300 more than usual) means a nice juicy sum and a £600 mortgage overpayment. We're still quite far from our pre-car purchase savings but we're edging closer.

I put £1000 to one side (mentally) as that is ring-fenced for driving lessons, if I ever get well enough to book some.

I haven't yet budgeted for the lounge makeover. The sofa is going to cost £450, then there's the electrician cost for fitting the new light, new curtains, and hopefully just filler and paint. If we find the walls are horrible under the anaglypta there will be the cost of skimming. I've removed a small section of the wallpaper and there are some hairline cracks so far. I had hoped to have removed most of it by now - so frustrating.

In exciting news, we have a smart meter! I love it already. I've realised that leaving the lamp plugged in (not on) is costing 1p an hour!!! 24p a day, £1.68 a week for a lamp that isn't even on!!! OH often leaves the digital radio plugged in and you can feel the heat coming off the plug so I may do a little experiment to show him why he needs to stop leaving it. Our problem is all the charging that goes on (mostly my fault). The cordless phone, mobile phones, Nintendo DS and 2 tablets.
    I'm particularly looking forward to finding out the cost difference between a shower and a bath as DD has been a nightmare recently, insisting on a deep bath and then getting out after 5 minutes.

I feel so nauseous on these tablets that we're probably saving quite a bit in food costs. Yesterday I had 1 slice of toast for breakfast, beans on toast for lunch with a few bourbons, one quorn burger in bread for tea. I also have to eat with them so I had some dry rice krispies in the evening. I should call it the bland diet. Hopefully I'll lose a few pounds.
    Overpayments - £13731.82

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,872Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin