Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 16th Jul 14, 4:40 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    Train Delays guide discussion
    • 16th Jul 14, 4:40 PM
    Train Delays guide discussion 16th Jul 14 at 4:40 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Train Delays guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Rebecca
    Last edited by Former MSE Rebecca; 28-07-2014 at 3:34 PM.
Page 1
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 10th Mar 15, 9:30 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 10th Mar 15, 9:30 PM
    • 10th Mar 15, 9:30 PM
    "What if my train is delayed and I miss a connection?"

If you have 2 tickets A -> B and B -> C and are late arriving at B you can claim A -> B but can only claim if B -> C if the train you actually catch is delayed; can't claim for missing the train B -> C.

If you have just one ticket then it's the delay over the entire journey A -> C that counts.

"The trains are running fine, but I've now decided not to travel. What are my options?"
    Some companies will automatically refund uncollected tickets; check their web sites.

"How can I keep my ticket to claim a refund if I need to hand it in at my arrival station?"
    Got a camera phone? - take a photo for use in online delay repay claims

"What are train companies responsible for?"

Some of the items in the "won't claim" list will be paid for by the train company at their discretion; always claim.

"You'll usually get your refund in National Rail vouchers, not cash"

But some companies will refund their vouchers at the station (e.g. Southern)

"What if I paid for a first class seat, but can't get into first class on a replacement train?"

The advice should also cover if first class is declassified; in that case a refund can be claimed for the difference between first and standard ticket prices.

Southern Rail Delay Repay:
    The figures are wrong for Return tickets, correct values are here:
    http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/customer-services/delay-repay/
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Mar 15, 9:52 PM
    • 18,410 Posts
    • 7,615 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Mar 15, 9:52 PM
    • 10th Mar 15, 9:52 PM
    Should this be in public transport forum?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Mar 15, 8:49 AM
    • 19,140 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Mar 15, 8:49 AM
    • 11th Mar 15, 8:49 AM
    Should this be in public transport forum?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Yes, yet another faux pas by MSE staff to start a thread on completely the wrong board.
  • guy bagnall
    • 27th May 15, 1:56 PM
    • 27th May 15, 1:56 PM
    I had a delay on Eurostar on May 21st London-Paris. Arrival time was 18.53 in Paris and the train stopped on the platform at 19.54. I rang Customer Service and they said no refund as the 'sensor' they use outside the station said the delay was only 55 minutes. The point is it was not possible to get off the train at the sensor, and the real delay was just over the hour, which should trigger compensation. What is the point of having a sensor to record delays if it bears no relation to the ACTUAL delay. The ticket says 18.53 arrival - it should be arrival time that is relevant.
    • Johnjdc
    • By Johnjdc 4th Jul 15, 8:13 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Johnjdc
    • 4th Jul 15, 8:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 15, 8:13 PM
    Hi (old poster, hopefully temporary new account, password issues!)

I am in a state of confusion. Guide is great, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem. I was delayed for exactly an hour on a long journey last week. The main part of the journey was on a Virgin train, but the delay was on a connecting Northern Rail service.

The Northern Rail site tells me I have to claim from the company who sold me the ticket (I have no idea which company that was, it was the machine in the station - may have been a Virgin branded one but I can't say for sure). The Virgin site tells me I should claim from the company on whose train I experienced the delay.

Which is it?!
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 5th Jul 15, 12:15 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 5th Jul 15, 12:15 AM
    • 5th Jul 15, 12:15 AM
    Nothing in the Northern Rail "Claim for a delay" form says that the company who sold the ticket is significant.

Similarly the National Rail Conditions of Carriage section 42 on "Compensation for Delays" makes no mention of who sold the ticket, only the train company.
    • Johnjdc
    • By Johnjdc 5th Jul 15, 11:35 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Johnjdc
    • 5th Jul 15, 11:35 AM
    • 5th Jul 15, 11:35 AM
    Thanks - I guess that's the answer. To clarify why I was confused... not allowed to post links but...

I got to a PDF claim form on the Northern Rail website which says "Please note that we only process refunds for tickets bought from Northern Rail".

On the National Rail website (72098.aspx) the "Passenger Rights to Refunds & Compensation" section says "To get your refund you should return your ticket to the retailer it was bought from (including online third-party retailers such as The Trainline or RedSpottedHanky),"
  • tonyhus
    • 6th Jul 15, 10:27 PM
    Refund due train strike
    • 6th Jul 15, 10:27 PM
    I have bought tickets to travel on 8/9/10 July to Cardiff from Bristol.No trains running due to strike,can train line.com still charge me £10 refund charge per journey? I haven't cancelled, first great western have.Where do I stand?
    • twistedwheelnut
    • By twistedwheelnut 30th Jul 15, 11:43 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    twistedwheelnut
    I understand about claiming for a train that is delayed during its journey, but what about late departures...
    If you have an open ticket, which could be used on any train, and you do not have a booking on any train, can you still claim if the train arrives late because it departed late?
    For example, I arrive at Euston aiming to catch a train to Manchester at 18:00, which should arrive in Manchester at 20.10. When I get to the station, I find that this train's departure is delayed by 45 mins.
    There is another train at 18:35 which should arrive in Manchester at 20:45, so I decide to catch this (I've got an open ticket, so no reservation).
    If I catch this second train, I will be arriving in Manchester 35 mins later than planned (because I should have been there at 20.10). Can I claim that I was delayed for >30 mins? And if so, how do I prove that I intended to catch the 18:00 train if i don't have a reservation?

If I had been on the train I originally planned to get (the 18:00), which eventually leaves 45 mins late, and gets to Manchester 45 mins late at 20:55, I would have been able to claim a >30 min delay for this journey.
    However, the train I actually caught would appear as being 'on-time', but my arrival time at my final destination was delayed, even though the train i travelled on was 'on-time'. As I didn't have a reservation on either train, can I still claim a >30 min delay.
    (sorry for the complicated description, but this is something that has happened to me!)
    Thanks
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 30th Jul 15, 9:51 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    Mobeer
    twistedwheelnut, you can claim for the 35 minute delay.
    Should have departed at 18:00 and arrived at 20:10, actually arrived 20:45, so the delay is clear.

There's no need to prove any intentions, just state them honestly when making the claim.
    • pollythena
    • By pollythena 8th Aug 15, 4:14 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    pollythena
    As this is "compensation", can I personally claim for a delay even if I am travelling on a ticket paid for by my employer?

Last week I had to travel on business, a journey with two legs on an Anytime ticket. The first leg was fine, but the trains for the second leg kept getting cancelled. In the end I ended up catching a train an hour and a half after the one I intended to, and got there two hours later than I was due to arrive.

Although I have a photo of the time I arrived (taken to send to my manager moaning about how long I'd been travelling!), the ticket got swallowed by the barrier on my way out of the station. Therefore I don't have proof of my journey, but I do have a booking reference. Obviously though, this booking reference will show it wasn't a personal booking. Will this make a difference if I submit a claim?
    • jonny_power
    • By jonny_power 8th Aug 15, 8:36 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    jonny_power
    As this is "compensation", can I personally claim for a delay even if I am travelling on a ticket paid for by my employer?

Last week I had to travel on business, a journey with two legs on an Anytime ticket. The first leg was fine, but the trains for the second leg kept getting cancelled. In the end I ended up catching a train an hour and a half after the one I intended to, and got there two hours later than I was due to arrive.

Although I have a photo of the time I arrived (taken to send to my manager moaning about how long I'd been travelling!), the ticket got swallowed by the barrier on my way out of the station. Therefore I don't have proof of my journey, but I do have a booking reference. Obviously though, this booking reference will show it wasn't a personal booking. Will this make a difference if I submit a claim?
    Originally posted by pollythena
    good question - i'd like to know the answer to this as well.
    • pollythena
    • By pollythena 15th Aug 15, 1:32 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    pollythena
    Since there was no response, possibly because no one's sure, I've submitted a claim and will update if it's successful or not. Also, Arriva Trains Wales now has a downloadable claim form on their website (as part of the Passenger Charter) so you don't have to call or pick one up in the station.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 15th Aug 15, 6:47 PM
    • 11,810 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I had a delay on Eurostar on May 21st London-Paris. Arrival time was 18.53 in Paris and the train stopped on the platform at 19.54. I rang Customer Service and they said no refund as the 'sensor' they use outside the station said the delay was only 55 minutes. The point is it was not possible to get off the train at the sensor, and the real delay was just over the hour, which should trigger compensation. What is the point of having a sensor to record delays if it bears no relation to the ACTUAL delay. The ticket says 18.53 arrival - it should be arrival time that is relevant.
    Originally posted by guy bagnall
    Perhaps your mistake was attempting to do this by telephone. Submit a claim form giving the time of arrival at the platform... if you noticed a wait outside the station then mention this, since that could explain the discrepancy between your record of arrival and their information as to when the train passed the sensor.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 15th Aug 15, 6:49 PM
    • 11,810 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Hi (old poster, hopefully temporary new account, password issues!)

I am in a state of confusion. Guide is great, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem. I was delayed for exactly an hour on a long journey last week. The main part of the journey was on a Virgin train, but the delay was on a connecting Northern Rail service.

The Northern Rail site tells me I have to claim from the company who sold me the ticket (I have no idea which company that was, it was the machine in the station - may have been a Virgin branded one but I can't say for sure). The Virgin site tells me I should claim from the company on whose train I experienced the delay.

Which is it?!
    Originally posted by Johnjdc
    The machine would have belonged to whichever company operates the station: it is fairly easy to find out from the National Rail website which companies run which stations.
    • Lester Piggott
    • By Lester Piggott 28th Sep 15, 9:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lester Piggott
    I have a question relating to all of the above. Making a claim to the rail operator is one thing but as my journey was delayed by 1hr and 30 minutes it meant I was too late for a flight! my subsequent charge for the next flight was £70 and that was 4 hrs later. Would you agree or disagree that I should be compensated for this extra charge. If so what about additional fee's like food charges whilst being stranded for 4 hrs based solely as a result of the train not running? Or am I just asking too much and should just go for my rail fare back?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 28th Sep 15, 10:41 PM
    • 10,923 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Caz3121
    missing a flight would be a consequential loss, and similar to a delayed flight meaning you miss a train and need to buy a new ticket, you should check your travel insurance to see if they cover. It may depend whether they deem that you have allowed sufficient time for the travel....I am guessing that without the delay you would have got to the airport 2 hours before the flight....your travel insurance may not consider that enough contingency allowed
    • Dashimus
    • By Dashimus 13th Oct 15, 11:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dashimus
    Oyster Refund
    Hi all. I have a question about refunds via an Oyster card.

I live in zone 4 and commute to work in Victoria via Clapham Junction on South West Trains before changing onto Southern. However, my zone 1-4 travel card is a TFL travel card bought at Victoria Underground station which is loaded onto my Oyster card.

According to South West Trains:

We will not compensate you:

If you purchased a Travelcard (either a 'paper' ticket or Oyster card) from a non-South West Trains outlet. We will consider your claim if you have proof that you use our services for all, or part, of your journey (e.g. a home or work address close to a station we serve, and details of the journey you make).

Sorry, cant post link to this as new.

So can I claim or not? It says they won't but then implies they'll consider it if i can prove my journeys use them. Fortunately I get an oyster statement every month detailing my journeys so this isnt difficult to do.

Anyone had experience of this?
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 11th Nov 15, 8:36 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    I was delayed the other week by 63 mins on a First Hull Trains journey from London to Doncaster. I therefore filled in a compensation claim form and sent it off. I was entitled to a 100% ticket refund as my train was 60+ mins late.

However, I have received a letter from First Hull Trains this morning saying that my train was only 59 mins late (how convenient) and therefore they will only pay my 50% of my fare back.

I was travelling with 5 other people on this journey and the first thing we all did when our train stopped at Doncaster station was to look at our watches and the clock on the platform. We all said we were 63 mins late.

It appears that First Hull Trains are not being totally honest with their arrival time in order to get out of paying money. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can prove our train was 63 mins late?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

894Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin