Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Average gas and electric bill? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Average gas and electric bill?
Views: 276,072
# 1
Cashcade
Old 13-07-2007, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Average gas and electric bill?

What would approximate annual cost of gas and elec be for a 3 bedroomed house, based on 2 adults and a kid?

I'm trying to estimate how much it would cost and incorporate it into outgoings so i could incorporate into budget?

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-02-2011 at 5:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
oldwiring
Old 13-07-2007, 7:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

FWIW I and OH (retired) pay a total of £72 p.mth
# 3
oramgepekoe
Old 13-07-2007, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

3 bed, 2 adults including stay-at-home mum, 1 child. 75 per month.
# 4
Cashcade
Old 13-07-2007, 11:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oramgepekoe View Post
3 bed, 2 adults including stay-at-home mum, 1 child. 75 per month.
it seems a lot that.
# 5
Jandy1234
Old 14-07-2007, 7:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Average annual gas/elec bill

Hi, I was told that an average four bed house with a family of adults and two children would use approx £1000-1200 annually depending on insulation, heating efficiency etc. This came from Powergen consumption team when I was querying my winter bill. Best wishes from Jandy
PS The above quotes of £70 odd per month look very reasonable to me, we pay £125 per month and it barely covers our bill. Yours might be in the region of £80-90 if you are in during the daytime as well as evenings and nights.

Last edited by Jandy1234; 14-07-2007 at 7:10 AM. Reason: Ps Added info
The Following User Says Thank You to Jandy1234 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Cardew
Old 14-07-2007, 8:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I agree with the post above(#5).

The average family spends approx 1000pa of gas & electricity.

However that average figure could cover extremes of 300 to 3000.

There are so many factors that affect consumption that it is impossible to give a meaningful estimate.

Where you live - Electricity prices vary and NE Scotland is colder than SW England!

Size of house - Insulation - how warm you like rooms - In all day or out at work/school - Appliances used - efficiency of gas boiler - baths or showers -etc etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
mummytohollieandpinkbump
Old 15-07-2007, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi we live in a 2 bed house 2 adults and one child and moving to 3 bed house i expect our elec usage to be the same.

we are with edf energy pay 40 for gas and elec with them and if we go over this we get charged a bill at the end of the year.but we havent gone over so not been billed any extra.

hth a bit

luv leigh,hollie and pink bump x x x
# 8
anniecave
Old 15-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytohollieandpinkbump View Post
hi we live in a 2 bed house 2 adults and one child and moving to 3 bed house i expect our elec usage to be the same.

we are with edf energy pay 40 for gas and elec with them and if we go over this we get charged a bill at the end of the year.but we havent gone over so not been billed any extra.

hth a bit

luv leigh,hollie and pink bump x x x
40 for each I would guess, not 40 in total?
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
# 9
Alfrescodave
Old 17-07-2007, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy1234 View Post
Hi, I was told that an average four bed house with a family of adults and two children would use approx 1000-1200 annually depending on insulation, heating efficiency etc. This came from Powergen consumption team when I was querying my winter bill.
Totally agree, we are paying 105 a month for gas +elec for 3 bed detached house in Southern England.
# 10
Cactus_Jack
Old 17-07-2007, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

avg is around 40 per fuel per month
# 11
MrsBartolozzi
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM

It really depends... if the electric heating is storage heaters and you want heat in the evenings then they will need to be on the same length of time as if you were in all day (usually 7 hours overnight). Are you on economy 7 or 10? This is the tarriff for storage heater households and gives cheaper electricity at night (the elec co will tell you the exact period). You can make sure you do the washing/dishwasher/tumble drying then too to save money.
If the heating is electric fires/ fan heaters then this is more expensive, but you can only have them on when you need them.
Is the flat well insulated? Do you have a flat below you? These things mean you will probably be warmer anyway and need heating less.

Sorry not much help, but if you give us as much info as poss someone will come back with a more accurate amount.

It's only a game
~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
# 12
chelleybelley
Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi we are with n power, we live in a 3 bedroomed house 2 adults,im home all the time,we had the house insulated 2 years ago,we currently pay 56 per month for both gas and electric by direct debit,this amount has just come down from 69 per month in june when we came off the fixed rate we had with them..... o and yes im very good at money saving as im in bed most of the time which saves on heating lol.
always send a smile as it costs nothing..

# 13
st999
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Me and my wife both retired and in all day and night living in a 3 bed semi in sunny Scotland with warm air gas heating are using 19500 Kwhs gas and 4200 Kwhs electricity a year.

At least that is what we used last year. And for this we are paying Eon 102 per month.

Stan
# 14
mumof2nbx
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up

45 gas and electric on scottish southern electric. and we have 2 young children this has been for the last 3 months - a cold time of year i'd reccomend it to anyone paying 100+ to try them
# 15
Premier
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof2nbx View Post
45 gas and electric on scottish southern electric. and we have 2 young children this has been for the last 3 months - a cold time of year i'd reccomend it to anyone paying 100+ to try them
Thanks for the info.

Interesting to see from this thread how the prices have changed over the last 4 years

You may also want to compare what you've consumed vs what the supplier takes in monthly DD payments, as following the recent cold spell, if you really are using just 45 per month, you are using far less than the average 3 bedroomed household, who probably spent about 20 per week just on keeping the property warm!

As many other threads will demonstrate, the amount you pay monthly by DD may have little regard to what you've actually consumed ... and therefore owe.
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010

Last edited by Premier; 04-02-2010 at 11:45 AM.
# 16
Nade
Old 17-02-2010, 1:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Why is that everyone here seems to be paying so much less than me? Why do I have to pay 120-150+ in a flat.
# 17
Money maker
Old 17-02-2010, 1:37 AM

Storage heaters?
Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
# 18
michael1983l
Old 17-02-2010, 1:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashcade View Post
What would approximate annual cost of gas and elec be for a 3 bedroomed house, based on 2 adults and a kid?

I'm trying to estimate how much it would cost and incorporate it into outgoings so i could incorporate into budget?

We have a small 3 bed house, 2 adults 1 child. I am quite prudent with the centeral heating though. We pay atm (winter) 50-60 a month gas and 15 - 20 electricity

Last edited by michael1983l; 17-02-2010 at 1:55 AM.
# 19
Nade
Old 17-02-2010, 3:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money maker View Post
Storage heaters?
With or without them on it still takes roughly the same amount.

Now I find out we were not put onto Economy 7 but Economy 10, they just mixed us all up to suit them tbh.
# 20
mjm3346
Old 17-02-2010, 4:12 AM

20 gas and 100 electric per month. Gas cooking, heating and hot water, electric lighting, TV and computers