IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much do decorators charge?
Closed Thread
Views: 25,916
# 1
Christmasshopper
Old 12-07-2007, 7:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How much do decorators charge?

I normally do my own decorating, but I haven't been well enough to do it and it is starting to look shabby. Roughly, how much would it cost to get a decorator to paint 3 average sized bedrooms. I want the walls & ceilings emulsioned and the skirting boards, doors and window-frames glossed.
I thought I'd ask on here before I ring round for quotes then I would know if the quotes are reasonable. My bedrooms are about 10' x 10'.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in.
# 2
paullwill8
Old 12-07-2007, 8:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I charge 15 per hour, as far as I am aware this is around the going rate, the average size room is normally around 180-220.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always recieve lots
The Following User Says Thank You to paullwill8 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
misgrace
Old 13-07-2007, 7:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In an ideal world, it would probably take 2 days, thats if you can start the actual painting straight away.
But if you have to do a fair amount of prep, on the ceilings and walls, also the woodwork, then there is the masking up, sheeting up, clearing up etc.

The ceiling has to be finished first, at least 2 coats, before you start on the walls,another 2 coats at least, but you can undercoat the woodwork in between, but you do the actual top coat on your skirtings and frames last.

So allowing for all this, you could say, 2-3 days, so if you work on an average of 90-130 per day then at least you will get an idea.

When I give a price, I always include, white emulsion, filler, masking tape, decerators caulk, undercoat/gloss etc, the only thing the client buys is the actual colour for the walls.

As I always have these materials, its cheaper for the client to pay for what I use, much better than the client going out and buying these materials, then stuck with different cans in the shed that never get used again. lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to misgrace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
katherinef1974
Old 13-07-2007, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Mine charges around 350 a room which includes prepping painting/ decorating (I buy the wall paper, he buys paint) the 350 is for putting up paper its a bit less if its just a paint job.
The Following User Says Thank You to katherinef1974 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Joannag
Old 13-07-2007, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Here in Suffolk I pay 150-170 for 2 coats of paint in a bedroom, I provide emulsion he provides gloss.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joannag For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bobbins007
Old 15-02-2011, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default North east costs

I have a property i let and the agent just got me a quote for doing the house at 2460.

I got a quote for 650

Somewhat different
# 7
jkgray
Old 16-02-2011, 11:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I paid 400 for 3 men for 1 day to emulsion all wall and gloss all woodwork in a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, apartment I rent out. Inc. all paint and materials. Good job done.
# 8
phill99
Old 16-02-2011, 1:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgray View Post
I paid 400 for 3 men for 1 day to emulsion all wall and gloss all woodwork in a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, apartment I rent out. Inc. all paint and materials. Good job done.
Quality job then.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phill99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
nickj
Old 16-02-2011, 6:08 PM

Quote:
i take it that was a one coat special?
# 10
jkgray
Old 17-02-2011, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
Quality job then.
Yes. I just don't pay over the odds. I was happy to pay 100 for the paint and 100 per man per day.

Are you a decorator looking to justify his prices?

Last edited by jkgray; 17-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.
# 11
jkgray
Old 17-02-2011, 11:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
i take it that was a one coat special?
No it was not.

Another decorator looking to justify his prices?

Last edited by jkgray; 17-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.
# 12
ginvzt
Old 17-02-2011, 11:41 AM

I think it often is a case of looking around and asking for quotes. I had some garden work done - cutting down 9 trees and removing stumps, pruning 3 others. I had quotes from 1400 + VAT to 330. I went with the 330 and couldn't be much happier - he did a brilliant job, lots of advice of what can we do to improve the soil and turf, how to look better after the trees we have got left, gave us some leads of where to get the cheapest sleepers in the area, etc.

The same with plastering - two rooms plastered, from 1000 to 380, but the cheapest wouldn't remove the radiators. Also, time scale was from 2 days work to a week! In the end I paid 420, and they did a good job. Just waiting for it to dry so I can paint.
Slinky for Santa 2014 - 6.5/12lb - 5.5 to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to ginvzt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
sunshinetours
Old 17-02-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginvzt View Post
I think it often is a case of looking around and asking for quotes. I had some garden work done - cutting down 9 trees and removing stumps, pruning 3 others. I had quotes from 1400 + VAT to 330. I went with the 330 and couldn't be much happier - he did a brilliant job, lots of advice of what can we do to improve the soil and turf, how to look better after the trees we have got left, gave us some leads of where to get the cheapest sleepers in the area, etc.

The same with plastering - two rooms plastered, from 1000 to 380, but the cheapest wouldn't remove the radiators. Also, time scale was from 2 days work to a week! In the end I paid 420, and they did a good job. Just waiting for it to dry so I can paint.
With respect your tree work sound very cheap so I am guessing that he didn't have appropriate insurance, and what was done with the waste? Like yours could turn out fine but if something had gone wriong you would have very little come back

Its like everything in life "you pays your moeny you takes your chance". Its usually only when something goes wrong you find out exactly what you have (or more likely have not) paid for.

Not a dig just stating
# 14
Peter Lanky
Old 17-02-2011, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Yes. I just don't pay over the odds. I was happy to pay 100 for the paint and 100 per man per day.

Are you a decorator looking to justify his prices?
I'm no professional decorator, but you can't prepare, undercoat, gloss and emulsion all in one day without cutting corners. I don't suppose it matters though when somebody else has to live in superficially decorated accommodation. The price is immaterial.
What is happening to the English Language? These are not isolated, but repeated every day.
'Definate', 'Aswell', 'Rediculous', 'Payed'...and the best of all 'Could Of'. How can anyone think that 'Could Of' can actually mean anything. You may as well write 'Could Zebra' for all the sense it makes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Lanky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jkgray
Old 17-02-2011, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lanky View Post
I'm no professional decorator, but you can't prepare, undercoat, gloss and emulsion all in one day without cutting corners. I don't suppose it matters though when somebody else has to live in superficially decorated accommodation. The price is immaterial.
Why some people on these boards feel the need to make baseless assertions that a job must have been done to a poor standard because some of us don't pay over the odds is beyond reason. I suspect it is either because they wish to make themselves feel better over the overinflated prices they pay or because they themselves are charging overinflated prices.

I would suggest that a more productive and informative way to behave would be to simply post what you have paid or charged and let the original poster make their own mind up.

For the avoidance of doubt, the job was done to a good standard by men charging a reasonable rate.

The property is not some backstreet dive, it is a holiday rental rented out at 100 - 120 / night. Guests would not rebook if the place was a mess.

Finally, the price is obviously material, I'm paying it!
The Following User Says Thank You to jkgray For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
jkgray
Old 17-02-2011, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginvzt View Post

I could not agree more.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkgray For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jafsie
Old 17-02-2011, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullwill8 View Post
I charge 15 per hour, as far as I am aware this is around the going rate, the average size room is normally around 180-220.
I hope you live in/near Leeds paullwill8, we recently got 3 quotes for hall and stairs painting, I reckoned on 2 days work (we had already bought the paint)

The 3 prices were near to each other around 950

Eventually I got it done for 200 but the man has since emigrated to Australia so if we need work done in the future he's no longer available.
The Following User Says Thank You to jafsie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
ginvzt
Old 17-02-2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinetours View Post
With respect your tree work sound very cheap so I am guessing that he didn't have appropriate insurance, and what was done with the waste? Like yours could turn out fine but if something had gone wriong you would have very little come back

Its like everything in life "you pays your moeny you takes your chance". Its usually only when something goes wrong you find out exactly what you have (or more likely have not) paid for.

Not a dig just stating
Why people are always so suspicious? Yes, he had full insurance, and is incredibly busy - probably because he does a good job and doesn't charge extortionate amounts.
Slinky for Santa 2014 - 6.5/12lb - 5.5 to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to ginvzt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
nickj
Old 18-02-2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafsie View Post
I hope you live in/near Leeds paullwill8, we recently got 3 quotes for hall and stairs painting, I reckoned on 2 days work (we had already bought the paint)

The 3 prices were near to each other around 950

Eventually I got it done for 200 but the man has since emigrated to Australia so if we need work done in the future he's no longer available.
you could always pay for his airfare back , at those prices you'll still be quids in
Closed Thread