Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 3:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 3:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 6
    • Choochow
    • By Choochow 1st Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Choochow
    Be careful
    Back in March I had a letter from Harringtons saying they'd transferred to PPI Claims Team Ltd. some paperwork came from PPI Claims team but it had Harringtons reference numbers on it even though it appears to be a totally different company. I have reported it to the claims management regulator as it's all rather odd to say the least as this company is chasing a PPI claim that Harringtons found not them. My bank are refusing to deal with them and are looking into things anyway. I suspect this company is linked to Harringtons and as per the previous post Harringtons have had their authority ceased in February 2017 pending appeal. Yes I know I was stupid to authorise Harringtons in the first place but you live and learn. When you do internet digging you can find quite a bit out so I don't think it'll be long until PPI Claims team ltd will go in the same direction as Harringtons.
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 3rd Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    Harringtons Website off line
    Just tried the harringtons website and it says "The site harringtonsadvisory co uk has been disabled. Please contact support."

Is this the death knell for the company from hell?

No doubt they will phoenix the company and kick off again, Let's hope the directors are investigated by the Police.
    • HELENBACK
    • By HELENBACK 24th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HELENBACK
    Avoid
    I am having horrendous problems with this company. They did recover me some PPI around 2 years after I signed any forms (forms which I signed whilst suffering a nervous breakdown and which I cannot remember), and now they are asking for 39% plus vat. I have asked to see the paperwork I signed, I have asked to cancel any further claims (apparently I have to pay an unknown cancellation fee for that - again I want to see where in the paperwork I allegedly signed it says that), and finally when I asked for a detailed breakdown of the invoice, i.e. work done on the particular case they recovered £658 for but apparently that is subject to SARS and I have to pay a fee for that also!! This firm is ludicrous. I have filed a complaint due to their persistent ways they got me to (allegedly sign forms), saying all I had to do was sign, so I did, not having the mental capacity at the time to do anything else, I have heard nothing back regarding my complaint, I have not had any of the requested documents, and finally apparently they have received a letter from the FSO about me, and despite repeated attempts to find out what that was - they haven't rung me back on that either. Even more ludicrous I told them today that I would reject any further offers - their reply - they would still want the 29% plus vat on any offer rejected!! Absolute sharks, just wish they hadn't caught me when life was at the bottom. The PPI recovered got swallowed up in an overdraft and other debts and I simply haven't got the £304.68 then want as I am unemployed due to ill health.
    • June Jubb
    • By June Jubb 1st Aug 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    June Jubb
    Harringtons Advisory
    Hi I was contacted by Harringtons over the phone. They sent me all the foms to fill in which we did, and sent them back. I have now recived a letter from Harringtons saying my claim has been passed to a company called FINANCIAL JUSTICE and a new set of forms to fill in.. When I phoned Harringtons about this, I was told that the reason was,they have done this is because the banks have stopped dealing with Harringtons, Harringtons have been too good at claiming back PPI for people and now the banks will not deal with them any more. I have told Harringtons that I am not happy with this.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Aug 17, 2:07 PM
    • 14,084 Posts
    • 14,768 Thanks
    zx81
    Harringtons have been too good at claiming back PPI for people and now the banks will not deal with them any more.
    Originally posted by June Jubb
    How can a company be too good at putting stamps on envelopes? Is it a skilled profession?

It doesn't matter who posts the form for you - it'll end up in the same place and you'll pay half of any redress to them either way.
    • June Jubb
    • By June Jubb 1st Aug 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    June Jubb
    I have just been on the web site for Harringtons Advisory and it is still up and running. Some people on this site have said it had been taken down.
    • smallypauly
    • By smallypauly 2nd Aug 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smallypauly
    Payment of commission.
    I have received payment through my bank for a claim. Harringtons have yet to contact me about it. I feel like an idiot now that I dealt with them without researching them first!!! Has anyone received a claim and not paid them?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Aug 17, 1:47 PM
    • 14,084 Posts
    • 14,768 Thanks
    zx81
    No one who hasn't regretted it.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Aug 17, 1:58 PM
    • 89,548 Posts
    • 55,996 Thanks
    dunstonh
    When I phoned Harringtons about this, I was told that the reason was,they have done this is because the banks have stopped dealing with Harringtons, Harringtons have been too good at claiming back PPI for people
    I am in stitches. Thank you so much for making me laugh.

They are not accepting complaints via Harringtons as they have been suspended by the regulator following a number of breaches.
    https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 7th Aug 17, 9:27 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    I have received payment through my bank for a claim. Harringtons have yet to contact me about it. I feel like an idiot now that I dealt with them without researching them first!!! Has anyone received a claim and not paid them?
    No one who hasn't regretted it.
    Hopefully they will soon be out of business as the claims regulator had originally said the appeal would happen in June. They now say due to technical issues it has been delayed but will happen soon. Let's hope this is the end of this heinous company.

I am interested in how zx81 knows that people have regretted not paying them or is this a general observation.

Does anyone know how you can find court cases that Harrington's have sued people in? They will move to debt collectors who quite frankly are a nasty lot and no doubt use heavy bullying tactics as Harrringtons will find it difficult to enforce in court, especially with their conduct as investigated by the Claims Regulator.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Aug 17, 5:34 PM
    • 18,727 Posts
    • 9,979 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I am interested in how zx81 knows that people have regretted not paying them or is this a general observation.
    Originally posted by MadKen
    It's a general observation that all claim companies chase debtors all the way to court. Anyone expecting outstanding debt to this company to suddenly disappear is very likely to be disappointed.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 8th Aug 17, 5:46 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Hopefully they will soon be out of business as the claims regulator had originally said the appeal would happen in June. They now say due to technical issues it has been delayed but will happen soon. Let's hope this is the end of this heinous company.

Does anyone know how you can find court cases that Harrington's have sued people in? They will move to debt collectors who quite frankly are a nasty lot and no doubt use heavy bullying tactics as Harrringtons will find it difficult to enforce in court, especially with their conduct as investigated by the Claims Regulator.
    Originally posted by MadKen

You are quite right. The general observation that all claims companies (and Harringtons in particular) 'chase debtors all the way to court' is not evidence based.

There have been very few few cases of CMCs taking customers to court for disputed/unpaid fees. If you want to find out how many people Harringtons have taken to court you could make a Freedom of Information request to Her Majesty's Court Service.

But to save yourself the bother just read their latest set of accounts where they state that they use external debt collection services to chase unpaid fees (in preference to court enforcement).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Aug 17, 11:09 AM
    • 18,727 Posts
    • 9,979 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    just read their latest set of accounts where they state that they use external debt collection services to chase unpaid fees (in preference to court enforcement).
    Originally posted by Alpine Star
    That doesn't change the spirit of zx81's original post which simply stated that non-payers regret such action. Clearly, the debt collectors are achieving the desired results without court action-but that doesn't mean the company would not have pursued such debt further if it remained unpaid.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 9th Aug 17, 6:29 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    That doesn't change the spirit of zx81's original post
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

I wasn't challenging the spirit of zx81's post but the factual basis of yours.
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 2nd Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    Another hearing date
    I've found out that Harringtons appeal is now scheduled for 20th 21st 22nd November. Possibly in Manchester. It's a public hearing so would be interesting if we all turned up. Let's hope there is a massive fine to put them out of business.
    • AnonymousMouse
    • By AnonymousMouse 2nd Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnonymousMouse
    Ex employee here
    Firstly, they have changed names - they are now survey confederation, Financial Justice., Money reclaims Experts and Professional Reclaim Services.

They are managed INCREDIBLY poorly which is why everything takes so long cause theyre constantly training new staff who then dont know what theyre doing/ cant help.
    The management have everything so locked down for "data protection" security that if youre an agent you CANT help, whether you want to or not.
    If you get through to the right people you can find someone helpful there but its pot luck and the odds are not in your favor.

The terms and conditions that you signed do state the 39% + VAT and they also state that if your LOAs expire you HAVE to sign new ones.

A lot of claims got shimmied over to the other companies but its literally all the same set of people and they have a few offices.
    Half the time its not the agents fault that the service is awful they can only work within the restrictions management have set and those restrictions have tightened making the service even worse.

Im good at customer service and i was one of the helpful members of staff. You'd get explanations for all your claims and id bug every manager to get something actioned but it was a dead end job and its not nice to be shouted at all day for stuff that wasnt your fault.

I heard of some really dodgy stuff going on and jumped ship.
    • Androids0711
    • By Androids0711 4th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Androids0711
    Be aware folks... DON'T PAY HARRINGTONS ADVISORY ARE BANKRUPT
    I've just looked T the accounts for Harringtons advisory are bankrupt. They have liabilities. Some £600,000 greater than assets. Assets including cash in bank. So though they may have a few poinds in b2arious accounts they are technically BANKRUPT. If you check they have Already started changing business names??... they are putting one firm to bed and are starting another with possibly new puppet directors. DO NOT PAY THEN SEEK TO CLAIM BACK MONIES they will simply go out of business and uou wint see money again
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 5th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    Harringtons Advisory or Professional Reclaim Services
    Firstly, they have changed names - they are now survey confederation, Financial Justice., Money reclaims Experts and Professional Reclaim Services.
    Originally posted by AnonymousMouse
    The offices for Professional Reclaim Services are a stones throw away from Harringtons. Google Professional Reclaim Services and you will see their website. Looks like it's a clone of Harringtons, they are even registered with the CMR (Claims Management Regulator) number CMR41057. Also the real name is Pacific Financial Claims Ltd T/A Professional Reclaim Services. It just gets better! Also on the other names, the director David Grimshaw is a director of Survey Confederation Ltd, they have a Facebook page which is looking for "Case Handlers", whatever that means.
    • AnonymousMouse
    • By AnonymousMouse 6th Sep 17, 10:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnonymousMouse
    case handlers aka call center folk to just sit there and have the same conversation with everyone all day.
    you never were assigned to one person. just a number and then whatever stage your individual claims were at were with whatever department worked that stage.
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 14th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    Harringtons have a CCJ registered against them for £4,481 dated 21/08/2017. Those of you that have debt collectors chasing you, perhaps I would point this out to them, Harringtons don't pay their debts so why should we pay them. Also Ibrar Akbar the main share holder has been in the news about an investigation by HMRC into his and Harringtons tax affairs, google his name and you should find the articles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

523Posts Today

4,517Users online

Martin's Twitter