Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 3:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 3:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 5
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 15th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    joeypesci
    I had this company keep spamming my mobile phone with local numbers. They claim they use local numbers so it costs less if you call them back. I get the feeling it's actually because you're more likely to answer if you see a local number than not.

Anyway. One day I'd had enough and called them back. They answered the phone with something like "This is HA Advisory we're just calling you today..". I interrupted and asked why that was said when I called them. I was ignored and the "agent" kept on with the script. I hung up.

Later I made this recording. The "agent" was made aware he was being recorded near the end.

It was a painful edit as I don't like my voice. I'm also well aware I said some stupid things like "I don't want to give my details to just anyone" when about a minute earlier I'd already given him my made-up details.

After this recording I've never heard from them again. It's odd because the number I called them on wasn't the number they always spammed me on.

https://youtu.be/fl5PeY6rsJ4
    • DaveDopy
    • By DaveDopy 15th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveDopy
    Does anyone know when Harringtons appeal is?
    • Cassandra Todd
    • By Cassandra Todd 16th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cassandra Todd
    As a result of an investigation, the Claims Management Regulator have decided to cancel Harringtons Advisory Limited authorisation to provide claims management services under the compensation Act 2006 with effect from 1st February 2017. Information found on lbcompare.co.uk

I have been harassed by Harringtons for some months now, asking me to sign a acceptance letter dated 8th February 2017 when I had repeatedly asked them to stop months before and sending a letter explaining that the 20-30 plus calls a day, had made me ill, and that was my reason for canceling. On phone conversations I had explained to the caller that I would be invoicing for my time would that be ok and they said yes that was fine. I am now sending my invoice to them requesting payment for my time effort and compensation for stress caused.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 18,888 Posts
    • 9,035 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I am now sending my invoice to them requesting payment for my time effort and compensation for stress caused.
    Originally posted by Cassandra Todd
    Good luck getting anything back from them on that front even if you eventually take them to court!

I'm not surprised the call centre operator said it was "fine" for you to invoice them, as your request will simply be ignored.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 16th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Good luck getting anything back from them on that front even if you eventually take them to court!

I'm not surprised the call centre operator said it was "fine" for you to invoice them, as your request will simply be ignored.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    It'll annoy them though, even petty revenge is revenge
    • DaveDopy
    • By DaveDopy 17th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveDopy
    My old Bank has informed me (RBS) that they will no longer deal with Harringtons.

Now there's a legal spanner in the works!
    • Chalkius
    • By Chalkius 19th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Chalkius
    This company called me why I was out getting food with my girlfriend. Told me I had PPI. Assured them I didn't as I have never taken a product on which PPI was sold. I didn't specify what (I've got a current account I've had for years, no fees for overdraft PPI, one loan I took out a year ago with no PPI, and a student loan which has no PPI either due to the nature ofit). I told them I knew how to check if I had it and would pursue it myself should it transpire I was wrong.

She actually told me I was wrong and that I definitely had it and I couldn't do it myself. I asked her to tell me what I had it on and she wouldn't tell me. Didn't bother with politeness after that, told her to remove me from their list, and hung up. That was a week ago and they haven't called since, so I guess it did the trick.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 18,888 Posts
    • 9,035 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I sent the Minister of Justice very single complaint about their service and cold calls complaints, that I found on the internet.
    Originally posted by michwalk
    Obviously, they can't act on unsubstantiated accusations posted on the internet. That was a waste of your time and will have been ignored.
    And showed them all details of my own case.
    Which was the only complaint they will have looked at.

And that they were doing pension advice ,which they are not allowed.
    Irrelevant to your complaint.
    Took a whole year but worth it in the end.
    You should have simply concentrated on your own complaint, I think. Nevertheless, I'm pleased your complaint was upheld by the regulatory body.
    • Mickyevo
    • By Mickyevo 7th Apr 17, 10:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickyevo
    Hi, i am trying to cancel a PPI claim with Harringtons due to the fact they have asked me for very personal details that are im not willing to send and they are saying that i will be charged for work they have done! is this right and if so how much do they charge as they wont tell me over the phone?
    thanks
    • Mickyevo
    • By Mickyevo 7th Apr 17, 11:10 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickyevo
    Well thanks very much for that abrupt response! i have filled in a complaint form and i am waiting to hear from them but thought i would go onto a forum to find out if anyone had the same experience and how much people had been charged as the company wont tell me. For some strange reason i thought a website called money saving expert would be able to shine some light on the situation. How wrong can i be with that response. If you work for the website i suggest you think before you type.
    • Mickyevo
    • By Mickyevo 7th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickyevo
    i posted it on a PPI group and then seen the Harringtons one i thought other people may have an opinion, I didnt expect you to respond that way. Good people skills, thanks for your help
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 7th Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi, i am trying to cancel a PPI claim with Harringtons due to the fact they have asked me for very personal details that are im not willing to send and they are saying that i will be charged for work they have done! is this right and if so how much do they charge as they wont tell me over the phone?
    thanks
    Originally posted by Mickyevo
    PPI companies are allowed to charge you for work they carried out before the contract is cancelled. You would need to ask them to put a figure in writing
    • carlt23
    • By carlt23 19th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carlt23
    How did you get on?? As the exact same is happening to me now said 25% on phone now want 39% plus vat
    • Esdekay
    • By Esdekay 21st Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Esdekay
    How do they get away with it
    Has anyone succeed in refusing to pay 39% + VAT. I was quoted 30%including VAT and that all the work would be completed by them, however the bank would only deal with me direct.
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 21st Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    I got quoted 10% over the phone, they didn't say including or excluding VAT but assumed it would include, the contract I signed was altered after they received it to show 39% + VAT. Just to be clear, the contract had a blank space which they must have run through their printer again with the added text.
    Did a search through credit safe and they have downgraded their credit limit to Cash transactions only. Companies house have them in default as they have failed to file their confirmation statement. In their accounts Ibrar Akbar has had to prop up the company by half a million, therefore I don't give it very long. They are also offering Pension advice without being FCA or FSA registered. It looks ready to go pop. Hopefully the appeal will with Claims Management Regulator is dismissed, though I expect we have to wait a year for that.

I am holding on and waiting for them to sue me, though I would be very surprised if a Judge would award them any of their fees considering their conduct. I'm also going to counter claim harassment.

Interestingly RBS will not deal with them at all, even though they are pending appeal, that calls into question how they can operate as any claim to RBS will be ignored.
    Last edited by MadKen; 21-04-2017 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Clarify statement.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 21st Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Many banks will not deal with CMCs directly because they know they will hear 1001 identical template stories which may have little or no link to the truth so they will accept the complaint from the CMC (which they have to do as you give the CMC the authority to do so) but then they contact you to get accurate data.

If you have a legally binding contract a judge will side with the firm, their other behaviour is irrelevant
    • DaveDopy
    • By DaveDopy 22nd Apr 17, 12:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveDopy
    Also of note is that current payments to Harrington's you may make, are going to another company (Newmount Reclaim Ltd).

As this is a different company this may be in contravention of their terms and conditions. It will certainly make claiming against them trickier.

It look to me very likely they are running the company into the ground.
    • Mcgoorie
    • By Mcgoorie 11th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mcgoorie
    Can I cancel my agreement
    I was contacted by harringtons last year I told the caller I had a DAS debt arrangement scheme and my wife had been Bankrupt I was told that wasn't a problem there was was of dealing with that, I now find that was wrong in fact a lie any, money due would be seen as an assets at the time of the DAS / Bankruptcy and there for could or will be held by the back and any other debtors I still owe, however harringtons would still want 39% of the initial offer! In essence I could be very out of pocket. Also they are now asking me to send any communication from the back to them as the bank RBS will not deal with them directly so I am doing there work. So I'm thinking they are in breach of there contract with me as they don't or can't act for me? And they lied to me at the initial point?
    • michwalk
    • By michwalk 16th May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michwalk
    Harringtons advisory
    I just seen the companies house for Newmount Reclaim and thought a name of directors looked familiar. I then looked on endole information site, and it says it has a mutual company which is harringtons advisory Mr Aleem Mehdi Khan is directors of both companies .wonder if they will use this as a backup company when harringtons goes. And just trade under newmount reclaim name instead. Just a thought !
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 18th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    At last
    I contacted the claims management regulator, the appeal is scheduled for June 2017. If harringtons win this, it will be a sad day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin