Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 3:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 3:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 4
    • michwalk
    • By michwalk 28th Mar 16, 10:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michwalk
    Harringtons Advisory ltd
    Yes Thank you, I have already forwarded my complaints to the Legal Ombudsman and Claims Management Regulator. I have also sent another complaint to Harringtons Advisory ,although I doubt they will answer again. I shall also send a query to the fca to see if they are allowed to give pension advice. Just so fed up with this company now, want an end to it. Hope that all their companies are looked into and not just the cold calls. They shouldn't be allowed to run business like this.
    • AdamMilford
    • By AdamMilford 20th Apr 16, 4:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AdamMilford
    No way!
    Check out the company website - harringtonsadvisory.co.uk. The social media links don't work, and the phone numbers the sales person gave me don't match the site. Slightly dodgy?
    • RSharkey95
    • By RSharkey95 1st Jun 16, 8:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RSharkey95
    In regards to this. Letters Of Authority (LOA) which will have been in your original welcome pack or may have been sent out during the claim actually expire after 6 months, so it may be a case of the claim has progressed but in the time the LOA has expired and after its expired the banks may request a new one to show that the company still have authority to act on your behalf. The company should have contacted you to make you aware a new one is needed and that they've sent one out to you and you should have received one, with the company not receiving it back, the bank will then of got in contact with you to see if you still wish for said company to investigate it.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 9th Jun 16, 11:12 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    michwalk I do not understand why you would plaster up all these numbers in your above post and I would guess these have nothing to do with the Company in this thread, If you get an irate person looking here they may decide to start ringing these numbers and if they are peoples residential ones it is far from fair, They need to be removed and only details that are correct should be put in posts, Guess work here is really stupid and can cause some people issues.

I have marked it as spam in any event just in case you do not remove them.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jun 16, 2:23 PM
    • 85,142 Posts
    • 50,154 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Harrington Advisory also share the same address of a suspected "free pension review" scam operating under the name of Pensions Legal Ltd. pensions Legal Ltd used to be called HARRINGTONS CHILDCARE CENTRES LIMITED.

They are not on the FCA register but cold calling people offering free pension reviews. Free pension review cold calling is a common scam. To be doing regulated activities whilst unregulated is unlawful.

So, it looks like they are branching out into other dodgy areas.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 10th Jun 16, 12:28 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Harrington Advisory also share the same address of a suspected "free pension review" scam operating under the name of Pensions Legal Ltd. pensions Legal Ltd used to be called HARRINGTONS CHILDCARE CENTRES LIMITED.

They are not on the FCA register but cold calling people offering free pension reviews. Free pension review cold calling is a common scam. To be doing regulated activities whilst unregulated is unlawful.

So, it looks like they are branching out into other dodgy areas.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I just got a yellow card for using the term "scam" in a post here.

However, it does appear to be a criminal offence under the the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.

So I am not going to say it is a scam. However, I do think it is a crime.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 16, 12:54 PM
    • 85,142 Posts
    • 50,154 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I just got a yellow card for using the term "scam" in a post here.

However, it does appear to be a criminal offence under the the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.

So I am not going to say it is a scam. However, I do think it is a crime.
    Originally posted by magpiecottage
    Well, in case someone decides to do the same here, I give the following link from the pensions regulator, pensions advisory service and the FCA
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-to-spot-a-pension-scam
    http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/pension-problems/making-a-complaint/common-concerns/pension-scams
    https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/financial-services-products/pensions/protect
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bedra59
    • By bedra59 22nd Jun 16, 9:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bedra59
    Harringtons Advisory - Biggest Mistake Ever!!
    Hi,
    I signed up with Harringtons Advisory in February 2015 - biggest mistake I have ever made!! In all that time I have had 2 small PPI reclaims sorted out. I have at least a further 10 reclaim investigations still pending! I can't believe it would take this long and have complained on numerous occasions......nothing changes though!!
    For the past 6 weeks or so I have been trying to contact Harringtons Advisory both by phone and by email without any success. I am getting concerned now as no one ever answers the phone or my emails!!
    Please......does anyone know what's going on? I have heard that they are under investigation.
    My husband is with a different company and has sorted all his PPI reclaims in just 3 months? Can I go with another company or am I stuck with Harringtons Advisory?

Thanks!
    • TheMobileRooster
    • By TheMobileRooster 22nd Jun 16, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheMobileRooster
    Harringtons Advisory certainly does appear to be a slick operation - akin to an oil slick.
    They have a line of patter that even Michael MacIntyre would find funny.
    The appear to use multiple local STD codes/numbers that cannot be called without some inane recorded soundtrack being played.
    The Bury,Manchester number is continually engaged after an initial ring tone/connection and then nothing.

There is nothing whatsoever legal and proper about the documentation - it is all based on a total deception and must have cost a great-deal of money to set-up.
    The original sets of documents were sent out in a really smart Black semi-hard folder but lately they are just folded and sent out in a plain white A5 envelope.
    This extremely deceptive set-up should have been shut-down by now and their various agents taken down with them.
    The last one that contacted me was on a local 01704 261985 that immediately goes into a Piano Concerto - she went by the somewhat imaginative name of Jasmine.
    Enjoy life to the full each & every day. Eat well & healthily for it can often be cut savagely short.
    • iwillhuntyoudown
    • By iwillhuntyoudown 8th Sep 16, 2:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    iwillhuntyoudown
    For any crazies on here who wish to visit them in person, their call centre address is:
    Stonecross House, 21-27 Churchgate, Bolton, BL1 1YA
    • JK064
    • By JK064 13th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JK064
    Harringtons have been pestering me with phone calls for months. Initially, out of curiosity, I agreed to be sent forms to fill in in order to claim PPI (which they told me was definitely due) but I decided not to go any further after discovering they charge 39% + VAT and not being totally sure it wasn't a scam. Warning bells started to ring when I discovered they sometimes ring using my local dialling code making me think it's a local call from a friend. After telling them I no longer wanted to proceed the follow up calls from them have been persistent and annoying. How can I block their phone calls when they use so many different numbers?
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 13th Oct 16, 11:56 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Every time the call send the following e-mail to enquiries@harringtonsadvisory.co.uk with a copy to consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk

Subject Title FORMAL COMPLAINT AGAINST HARRINGTONS ADVISORY.

I wish to make a FORMAL COMPLAINT that, despite repeated requests to cease and desist from contacting me at [time] on [date] you again made a call to my telephone number [number].

I demand that you write to you immediately cease making telephone calls to me.

I further demand that you write to me at [address] with a suitable offer of redress for the distress and inconvenience that your harrassment of me has caused.

I understand that you have eight weeks from the date of this e-mail to do this and that if you fail to provide me with a response that I find satisfactory within that time I shall be entitled to take the matter to the Legal Ombudsman.

A copy of this e-mail is being sent to your regulator.
    • Imran786c
    • By Imran786c 7th Dec 16, 10:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Imran786c
    I have been dealing with these people since August - when I was informed verbally on the phone that they charge 25% plus VAT. Then couple of months ago, again I tried to clarify as I wasn't sure, and was informed that charges were 35% inclusive of VAT. Now after couple of successes I have started to get invoice stating the charges are 39% plus VAT.
    I have had 2 arguments with them re these excessive charges and was informed I signed to these. Apparently, all telephone conversations are recorded so I requested transcripts of these and have been told they cant send me these. They are happy to send me the copy of my contract where I allegedly signed up for 39%plus VAT but cannot recall these numbers.
    Until now, I have refused to pay the excessive charges until they send me the transcripts and will be raising the complaints with legal regulator. Has anyone got any advise for me?
    Last edited by Imran786c; 07-12-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    • Southsidebobby
    • By Southsidebobby 8th Dec 16, 11:44 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Southsidebobby
    Harringtons Advisory Case Study
    Just to let you know of my experience with Harrington's Advisory.
    I received a cold call from them initially via my mobile, and in a moments 'weakness' advised them of the name of Companies I had used for credit cards in the past. I received a information pack back from them in short order after this, and filled in what details I could remember - nothing to revealing, just names and approximate dates. Well all went quiet for quite a while,(months) but about a month ago I heard out of the blue from Harringtons advisory that I had been awarded a refund of PPI payments from a credit card company of almost £1,800 ! It's fair to say that if they had not pursued this, I would have received nothing.
    Well the cost for this service turned out to be £827.69 which I accept, and have paid.
    What ticks me off most though is the behaviour of Harringtons Advisory since my award. They have rung every day since the award - some 3 weeks ago approx - requesting payment, even though I had not received a cheque from the credit card company. I needed to contact the card co to confirm my address, and they said the cheque might take 28 days. I told Harringtons this, and their operators to be fair said, ok - just wait for the cheque, then pay. This was not the case, as EVERY day somebody different rang, requesting payment, I told them the cheque story, and they said oh, that's ok just wait etc etc, but the calls continued - I also received two 'Red' final notices demanding payment and making threats about charging interest, and several text messages also. Well the cheque arrived yesterday, I have banked it and payed Harringtons off.
    Whilst I am grateful for Harringtons success in this matter, I shall NOT be using their services again, and will not be recommending anyone else to follow my example, unless they have a very tolerant attitude to dunning letters, texts and phone calls and broken promises that these would stop. I took the view that until I had the cheque in my hand, I was paying nothing.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Dec 16, 2:15 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    £827.69

Price of first class stamp = 64p
    Price of a couple of sheets of A4 = about 1p
    Price of some ink = about 4p

So you paid £827 for someone to walk from their desk to the printer, pick up some paper and put it in the post tray

Fancy paying me that much?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,797Users online

Martin's Twitter