The Wholly Roman July NSD Challenge!

marmiterulesok
marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
Forumite
edited 21 July 2014 at 9:07AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Welcome To The Wholly Roman July NSD Challenge!!!

We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who does will have a swift visit from Shawn the Shark i3dzjk.jpg!!

As July was named after Julius Caesar,we are pleased to announce that the theme for July has a slightly Roman bent,paying hommage to a few famous (and very funny) Romans!!

So,come on inside the stately Ennessddee Towers,pull up a chair,and let Igor,and his trusted slave Hubert sort you out a wine glass and some fine Roman snacks ie roasted gerbil!

Friends.....blah,blah,blah-welcome!! :D

Check out the prizes.....,and hoping for a good laugh along with the:

1st target,being a Roman minion... mmv1w2.jpg

2nd target ,AKA Pontius Pilate... 4fy052.jpg

3rd target,none other than Mark Anthony... 2dlpyeu.jpg

4th target means a celebration with Julius himself,AKA 'The Big Cheese'! im4ff6.jpg

Target exceeded will win you a chinwag and some pampering beauty treatments with none other than Cleopatra herself.2s9671c.jpg

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    Here is a link to June's NSD thread!
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 6 August 2014 at 10:03AM
    I'll add you to the list once you post your target!

Aphidgirl 10/10 achieved! mmv1w2.jpgTarget exceeded 11/10 achieved! fu2vsn.jpgSecond target 12/12 achieved!

Butti 4/6

cw18 11/15

Deaf Leopard 2/10

donna dynamo 10/10 achieved!mmv1w2.jpg 2nd target 13/14

fedupandskint 20/20 achieved!mmv1w2.jpgSecond target 25/25 achieved! 4fy052.jpg Target exceeded 30/25 achieved!fu2vsn.jpg

JackieO 12/27

jaxsmar 16/16 achieved! Target exceeded 23/16 achieved! fu2vsn.jpg

kathy40uk6/10

kerri gt 12/12 achieved! mmv1w2.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 4fy052.jpgTarget exceeded 16/15 achieved! fu2vsn.jpg

Knit Witch 10/10 achieved! mmv1w2.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved!4fy052.jpg3rd target 20/20 achieved!2dlpyeu.jpg4th target 25/25 achieved! im4ff6.jpgTarget exceeded28/25 achieved! fu2vsn.jpg

marmiterulesok 10/10 achieved!mmv1w2.jpg2nd target 13/13 achieved!4fy052.jpg3rd target 16/16 achieved!2dlpyeu.jpg 4th target 19/19 achieved! im4ff6.jpgTarget exceeded21/19 achieved!fu2vsn.jpg

Nargleblast 15/15 achieved!mmv1w2.jpg

NewbieJosh 14/14 achieved!mmv1w2.jpgTarget exceeded 15/14 achieved! fu2vsn.jpg

Penguin86 10/10 achieved! mmv1w2.jpg

Saver-upper 9/10

sazzie23 13/15

Shire Piskie 3/12

slowlyfading 16/18

StressedSteph 7/25

stripeyjumpergirl 5/10

supersaver1000 4/8

t2rry 19/20

worriedpenguin 9/9 achieved! mmv1w2.jpg

xcarlyx 9/15
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    Just in case I run out of space!
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    edited 29 July 2014 at 9:28AM
    Please post your in-a-row target and I'll add you to the list.

fedup 6-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg 7-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg8-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg

Knit Witch 4-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg6-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg7-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg 8-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg 11-in-a-row achieved! 1h8s9j.jpg13-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg15-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg17-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg 18-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg

marmiterulesok 4-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg5-in-a-row achieved! 1h8s9j.jpg6-in-a-row 1h8s9j.jpg

NewbieJosh 4-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg5-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg

Saver-upper 3-in-a-row

Shire Piskie 4-in-a-row

StressedSteph 6-in-a-row

t2rry 5-in-a-row achieved!1h8s9j.jpg6-in-a-row achieved! 1h8s9j.jpg
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Woo hoo! Excellent, I will start with my customary 10 and 4 in a row please :j
    Must use my stash up!
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I am subscribing but not a challenger at the moment. Once new job is started and new budget set I will join in a gain. Hope that's ok. Good luck to you all. I will be lurking in the shadows cheering. :T
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • marmiterulesok
    Forumite
    I am subscribing but not a challenger at the moment. Once new job is started and new budget set I will join in a gain. Hope that's ok. Good luck to you all. I will be lurking in the shadows cheering. :T

Oh,go on now...you might manage to squeeze out a few.:)

Congratulations on the new job!
    When do you start?
  • t2rry
    t2rry Posts: 1,020
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm in again - June has been fab!

I will go again for 20 please (and hopefully reach it with a little more ease this month!) but grind it up to a whopping 5-in-a-row

Thanks Marmite
    Debt Free I FFEF I Building Savings I 2024 Plan:
    1. Slush/Tax Fund £1,450/£5,000
    2. Additional Pension Contributions £3,300/£5,000
    3. Regular Savings £1,920/£15,000

#47 Save £20k in 2024 - £6,670/£20,000 (33%)
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm going for 20 NSD in July

I might be able to stretch it to 27 as I'm off on holiday but as I've saved up my spending money I'll be able to count all those days as its in a special holiday account/purse or envelope!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills