Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Jun 14, 3:52 PM
    • 14,587Posts
    • 95,344Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Pips adventures.
    • 13th Jun 14, 3:52 PM
    Pips adventures. 13th Jun 14 at 3:52 PM
    Well hello again dear hearts.

Diary number (erm I forget) - here we are again with a new challenge. I've been so heartened by the support on here that we're on to our new adventure and I couldn't do it without you. Having cleared the debts from £35k (yes that still makes me shiver in 2008 when we started) now its just down to just a student loan and two overdrafts and a tiny loan from a chum, we're doing OK but it could be better.

Reduce and clear the overdraft(s) 2 x £1000
    Clear the £550 we owe to a chum (0%)
    Keep our credit cards paid off each month now they're clear.
    Look at our student loan (just look, not think just yet)
    Support our DD and DS at uni
    Make a largely edible/productive garden to feed us and keep us warm
    Get some chooks
    Walk some hounds and keep a newly acquired f/t husband happy and well fed.
    Try and help 'The Rock God' to live frugalls and help us to over pay the mortgage (s) where we can.
    Keep up with the small things we know that work

So dear hearts, the next adventure continues. We've left our windy isle and have reassembled the troups in a rural windy coastland near beaches and forests.

We've just moved into a very pretty but inedible garden. As we're all about keeping the costs down we'll be growing as much as we can. Lucky for me I love gardening eh?

Best wellyboot forward eh? Lots to be done and lists to be made. Its late in the season so we'll have to get cracking in the garden to make room for some edibles for this season.

Thanks for popping by! Those interested in more adventures with wellyboots and gardens you'll find my (largely) edible gardening blog here. Usually haivers (Scottish word for talking nonsense) but never far from the garden, a plant, a decent walk, or the beach.

Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 15-09-2015 at 9:07 AM.
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
Page 174
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    How about the muddly lassie at the welllyboot cottage.

I dispatched over 1000 sleeping snowdrops this week - shudders.

Evil little slumbering snowies
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    How about the muddly lassie at the welllyboot cottage.

I dispatched over 1000 sleeping snowdrops this week - shudders.

Evil little slumbering snowies
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    That is a LOT of snowdrops! And of course, Snowdrop Manor is simply the work address!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Ha - its been called many things but not that.

And tonights mega cookathon reaped

13 lunch tubs of soup (tomato/courgette/leek) italian stylee beefed up with meatballs, or chicken or ham as himself is getting into the soup vibe but is still grumblesome if there's nae meat in it. Now in freezer - I know 13 is too many but the tomatoes etc were ready and it shouted soup to me once combined with a chicken carcass for stock.

Made a lush thai curry with a reduced packet of spices - rice reduced from donation table.

Cooked enough rice to portion and freeze as the advice has changed on that one. Portioned into cups/worth.

TRG is still in t'office as he's working on msc assignment and it needs scanned so he's got roasties and leftover roast dinner pie waiting for him.

DS had nachos (what else).

Some good bargains today mushies 40p, celery 19p, lettuce 19p and a pork tenderloin for 1.67

House is bloody noisy with all the tattie lorries rumbling by = good for harvvest but not good for doggies.

Doggie hair cut at local place £10 cheaper than in town so will try them again.

Slurping free apple juice from work - its lush - must go and check banks etc
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Oct 16, 12:44 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...today mushies 40p, celery 19p, lettuce 19p and a pork tenderloin for 1.67...
    Oooo - bargain envy happening here!

The best I've done lately is 2 ready meal GFY chicken and shroom pies at 1.20 each and 2 packets of puff pastry for 70p each - which reminds me we have hand pies in the plans today to use up the chick & veg leftovers from the freezer (don't tell OH that it's made from leftovers & bargains - he'll eat anything if I make it sound posh or creative)

...and Pips... wot the hae are mushies? I'm mightily perplexed!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean

The best I've done lately is 2 ready meal GFY chicken and shroom pies at 1.20 each and 2 packets of puff pastry for 70p each - which reminds me we have hand pies in the plans today to use up the chick & veg leftovers from the freezer (don't tell OH that it's made from leftovers & bargains - he'll eat anything if I make it sound posh or creative)

Originally posted by rtandon27
    Bargainous puff pastry there RT! I'm going to guess that mushies will be mushrooms? I do love a 'shroom or several!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 14th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Oh I thought it meant mushy peas.

Laundry room and cabinets are now painted and I'm really loving how it turned out. We are waiting to tile until my DD2 is gone and takes her pooches with her. They need to have access to the doggy door and it's in the laundry room.
    My workman gave me the bill and it's almost half what I figured.

Kitchen work starts next week.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Laugh of the evening...

OH is having a 'fusion food' chip butty...

Consists of a buttered indian flat bread filled with leftover chip shop chips!

...but then again, this morning I had poached eggs with leftover pulled pork in indian flat bread...

We do eat some weird food in this house these days!
    Grand Total£0
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 15th Oct 16, 5:18 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Our dinner was food given to us from a Mexican fiesta. Comida deliciosa!
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hand-pies turned out really well!

It's a case of Pips'magic rubberising the chicken! It was sunday roast a few weeks ago, bones & skin got made into broth & leftover meat+veg into 16 pies - good use of a full price chicken!

We have another chook coming in the groceries today - might make a regular pie with the leftovers of that one.
    Grand Total£0
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hand-pies turned out really well!

It's a case of Pips'magic rubberising the chicken! It was sunday roast a few weeks ago, bones & skin got made into broth & leftover meat+veg into 16 pies - good use of a full price chicken!

We have another chook coming in the groceries today - might make a regular pie with the leftovers of that one.
    Wow that may just be one of the finest chicken rubberisations ever! Well done!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 17th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    troglodyte
    That's a lot of snowdrops dispatched, Snow(drop) Queen!

Loving all the bargains! I don't seem to have come across any really good ones in a while.

Mila so glad it all looks good and less expensive than expected too - bonus!

rtandon it all sounds good to me, I like weird combinations too - people often laugh at the things I eat for breakfast (I'm not at all keen on cereals)

OH was going to mow the grass the other day before the rain came. The mower started up OK but as soon as he pushed it into the grass it petered out so he came in looking for help. Turned out the governor springs had gone saggy (no I didn't know what they were either, until now). No time to look for replacement so we botched a temporary repair with a couple of elastic bands!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 24th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking

Mushrooms is what they were and the pies sound amazing. Hand crafted artisan with unique fillings -they do sound posh.

Waves to all - been a bit of a mad house here.

Cooker is finally in and the room is now half way to how it will look.

TRG made fried eggs for his ma - and then we had a proper roast dinner.

Did the Jamie recipe which I'd recommend, I'm sure its the one Jo used and I don't normally like pork but we got a 84p 2kg lump reduced. And, when in rome.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/6-hour-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder/

Well done for fixing things with elastic bands.

Last week of part time this week.

Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 24th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Mushrooms is what they were and the pies sound amazing. Hand crafted artisan with unique fillings -they do sound posh...
    So glad that was mushrooms & not mushie peas! - That is one food I've not learned to appreciate!

Loving your creative description - will try that next time round - needless to say all the hand-pies disappeared without any grumbling! They were scrummy!

What an amazing bargain for a pork roast! We paid 2.50 for 800g for Sunday roast yesterday & though super delicious, did find it a bit dear for what we got (by yellow sticker standards)...

Ours was cooked on a bed of leeks & accompanied by Yorkies & onion gravy - gravy was cheaters (Kn00r gravy pot) - over all a very satisfying meal & a portion of leftovers to use in a lunchtime packup.

Have an assorted root veg & (cheap) beef stew cooling now - done in the slow cooker overnight - it will be Tues's or Wed's dinner with either potatoes or rice or pasta.

Other planned meals for this week include salmon with veg and pots tonight and yellow-stickered chicken & 'shroom pie with a side of greens later in the week.

If we are lucky may find some more markdowns in the grocery store for other meals, if not it will be freezer surprize!
    Grand Total£0
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 24th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 33,475 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Yorkies & onion gravy
    lunchtime packup.
    chicken & 'shroom pie
    freezer surprize!

My dearest rtandon, your indoctrination education in our ways and language is complete...........

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 24th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    My dearest rtandon, your indoctrination education in our ways and language is complete...........

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim

Oh my - I've been turned to the dark side!

Grand Total£0
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 26th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking

Oh my - I've been turned to the dark side!

It would seem you have been.

Although you'll probably only get your dark side star when you learn to love mushy peas

Mad week here of NOT being on holiday.

Just told my old work, I've taken a new job.

Also told them that as far as I am thinking I'm just increasing hours and not leaving. For now we'll see how that goes.

DH thinks this is a mistake and might lead to not great work/life balance, I'm inclined to agree but for now I'm going to try and keep it on.

Full time starts on 1st of the month.

Oh yes and I'm still doing 5/hours week looking after our volunteers at the garden for Nov too.

Work life balance - what's that then.

Contemplating a new diary with a new focus well, food and working is always my focus but thinking more of the overpaying of the mortgage.

And speaking of free food - 3 baby squashes and 4 litres of apple juice found their way home today.

Making the juice into cordial before it morphs into cider, its been around a wee while.

Also bagged half a cake but as I'm not a cake-head I shared the love with the maintenance guys.

Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,758 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh pippi that sounds busy! So, er, is the new job not in the same place as the old job, or is this a different new job? I am confused

Mmm, cake
    Saved for house move: £8420
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 26th Oct 16, 6:04 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 33,475 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    ! So, er, is the new job not in the same place as the old job, or is this a different new job? I am confused
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    I'm glad you said that Cheery, I thought it was just me and my brain fade.....

waves to Pippi

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 26th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Pips...

New diary?!?

***Faints***

ETA - peas - not a chance - I actually have a legume allergy so that settles that!!!

Once I've picked myself up of your floor & GPs as well - I'll do a happy dance round your virtual kitchen! - Hooray for new beginnings & a fresh start with your new job!

...and tell yer OH that work/life balance is a myth...

Grand Total£0
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 44,824 Posts
    • 155,248 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am confuddled
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

1,130Users online

Martin's Twitter