Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Jun 14, 3:52 PM
    • 14,587Posts
    • 95,344Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Pips adventures.
    • 13th Jun 14, 3:52 PM
    Pips adventures. 13th Jun 14 at 3:52 PM
    Well hello again dear hearts.

Diary number (erm I forget) - here we are again with a new challenge. I've been so heartened by the support on here that we're on to our new adventure and I couldn't do it without you. Having cleared the debts from £35k (yes that still makes me shiver in 2008 when we started) now its just down to just a student loan and two overdrafts and a tiny loan from a chum, we're doing OK but it could be better.

Reduce and clear the overdraft(s) 2 x £1000
    Clear the £550 we owe to a chum (0%)
    Keep our credit cards paid off each month now they're clear.
    Look at our student loan (just look, not think just yet)
    Support our DD and DS at uni
    Make a largely edible/productive garden to feed us and keep us warm
    Get some chooks
    Walk some hounds and keep a newly acquired f/t husband happy and well fed.
    Try and help 'The Rock God' to live frugalls and help us to over pay the mortgage (s) where we can.
    Keep up with the small things we know that work

So dear hearts, the next adventure continues. We've left our windy isle and have reassembled the troups in a rural windy coastland near beaches and forests.

We've just moved into a very pretty but inedible garden. As we're all about keeping the costs down we'll be growing as much as we can. Lucky for me I love gardening eh?

Best wellyboot forward eh? Lots to be done and lists to be made. Its late in the season so we'll have to get cracking in the garden to make room for some edibles for this season.

Thanks for popping by! Those interested in more adventures with wellyboots and gardens you'll find my (largely) edible gardening blog here. Usually haivers (Scottish word for talking nonsense) but never far from the garden, a plant, a decent walk, or the beach.

Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 15-09-2015 at 9:07 AM.
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
Page 173
    • stressed.mum
    • By stressed.mum 29th Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    stressed.mum
    Well done Pippi, so much good news in one post
    Hoping to stick to the challenge this year!!
    Make £5 a day for 397 days - started Dec 2015

YTD £ 2,000.02 - £1,985
    Cash - £ 1,854.67. Vouchers - £ 145.35
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 30th Sep 16, 6:21 PM
    • 7,803 Posts
    • 33,547 Thanks
    lucielle
    Congratulations.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900, Dec 08 £39782.36 Overdrafts £3100, Dec 09 £29304.84 Overdrafts £2820, Dec 10 £16449 Overdrafts £2490
    Dec 11 £12673.80 Overdrafts £1250, Dec 12 £4591 Overdrafts £400 02/02/13 new debt figure £5831.00 New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013

DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    All hail SUPREME Snowdrop Overlord!

(giggles - sorry Pips - could not resist!)
    Originally posted by rtandon27

:rotfl :

Very funny.

Thanks for all the lovely woo hoo's - still waiting for the offer letter/contract.

Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 3rd Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    We started moving everything out for the new tile to be put down. My guy will start on Wed taking up the 30 yr old ceramic tile that is there now. We are having porcelain ceramic tile put down as it is so durable.
    It's the laundry room, kitchen, dining room, a short hall and in front of the fireplace. What I have found is we have a lot of carp and it needs to be gone through and thinned out. I'm terrified I picked out a tile that is too dark. So hard to tell what it will look like from a small sample! I wish I was one of those that could envision the finished product but have never been able to do that.

Hope the new week brings good things for you. You had such fab things happen last week!!
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 03-10-2016 at 8:00 PM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Seriously bloomin' proud of you Mrs Stripes - well done! Well done to lovely man-child for also sorting some earnings - that boy has a good work-ethic - and we all know where he gets it from!

Maybe you are now Snowdrop Supremo - you'll have the new Overlord under your control...!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    We started moving everything out for the new tile to be put down. My guy will start on Wed taking up the 30 yr old ceramic tile that is there now. We are having porcelain ceramic tile put down as it is so durable.
    It's the laundry room, kitchen, dining room, a short hall and in front of the fireplace. What I have found is we have a lot of carp and it needs to be gone through and thinned out. I'm terrified I picked out a tile that is too dark. So hard to tell what it will look like from a small sample! I wish I was one of those that could envision the finished product but have never been able to do that.

Hope the new week brings good things for you. You had such fab things happen last week!!
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    We had EXACTLY the same fears when we had the bathroom done - but of course it looks absolutely stunning now it's down. I've come to the conclusion that doubting choices like this is entirely natural!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 5th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    We had EXACTLY the same fears when we had the bathroom done - but of course it looks absolutely stunning now it's down. I've come to the conclusion that doubting choices like this is entirely natural!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Thanks for this encouragement! I loved it when I picked it out, got worried that I'd made a mistake and went back to check>>still loved it. It's 13"x20" and I'm having it layed like brick with offset grout lines. (thin grout lines, not the usual 1/4") I'm just nervous that it's too dark. But I can work with it even if it is.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 05-10-2016 at 5:42 PM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    We actually nearly changed ours - but thankfully went with our gut feeling on the original ones. Glad we did, too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 11th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Good luck mila - as I sit in a kitchen with almost everythign in the wrong place, cookers on the floor (yes its here but uninstalled yet) and everything in a pickle. I feel your pain.

And woop to new and gorgeous bathrooms EH.

I'm not sure I want a young upstart overlord, we'll see.

There are literally NO snowdrops in the main garden - won't that be funny.

Bit of a mixed week round these parts. All OK just a lot to think about and a lot to do. Bank/cards seem to be hemorrhaging money in only the way that seems to happen when the 'cost centres' appear home.

DS is waiting to hear about a few jobs - and has his place sorted for Dec

In the mean time the elder hound is off for a hair cut tomorrow (more money) and the living room fireplace seems set on moving itself OUT of the wall - just had a heating/stove shop in to see how we sort it.

2 men one day, that's not going to be cheap is it.

eek

On the positive surrounded by 19p veg and the stove is on (kitchen currently NOT falling out) and chicken/stock pot is a simmering on free wood from Mothers garden.

So, its not all bad.

Contract offer letter in, no contract issued yet. Potentially start early Nov if we sort it all out - so I need to get this place ship shape.
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 11th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    The tile has arrived and we have laid out a few rows to see. We all love it. Whew!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Stripey lady!

Sorry to hear things are all higgledy piggledy. Hope your stoves and ovens and various appliances and bits of life are restored to normality very shortly. Pesky things indeed.

Hope you're good ish at least xx
    Saved for house move: £8570
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hurrah to tiles being loved by all Mila!

That's darned inconvenient of your living room fireplace Stripes - it's getting above itself if you ask me. At least that's something Hound the Elder WON'T be doing when he comes home looking more like Shorn (!) the sheep...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 12th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    The house is indeed groaning a bit all round. Nothing that some paint and gaffa tape might not sort

Cheery I hope you're well and Mila woo hoo about the tiles, EH that was a very bad yoke.............

Haircuts and half days today then I'm off garden for two and need to crack on with organising trades folks and getting a bit more organised.

DS has applied for a few temp jobs DH is almost finished his pesky assignment for his MSc

Me well dressing would be a good idea before Sir P goes for his haircut -- damp day here

No real plan for tea - DS made a lush left over roast dinner pie, all the joys of a roast in a pie.

Chicken stock needs draining and then making into soup - will do that later.

Must look in the fridge/freezer and fathom a plan.
    Have a good one
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 12th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    troglodyte
    It's all go there Pippi; hope things get worked out soon and not too expensively!

Mila glad the tiles look as good as you imagined - or maybe even better!

We have two new scrawny ex-bat chooks here, Feathery and Beaky. They are taking a while to get used to the outside world.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Trog loving the names for the new chooks - it must be so strange for the poor things first off, mustn't it!

WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT FOOD?!!!!! Smolly & her sticky buns and now you and your roast chicken pie....serious food envy occurring now!

On the plus side I'm reasonably organised about food at the moment but still can't establish why the freezer never seems to get any emptier. Hmmm.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 33,611 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Pippi

Have just popped something in the post (R0yal Ma1l) to you - hope it makes you smile

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    EH it's because of the train of thought 'oh this is on sale, I'll get two...or three'. Freezers are nefarious appliances. They cunningly invite you to freeze leftovers, the abundance of the garden, sale items, leftover herbs, nuts and flours etc etc. Then the tricky devils hide your stuff!
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 13th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Trog loving the names for the new chooks - it must be so strange for the poor things first off, mustn't it!

Thanks - the girls named them!

They do look as though they can't get used to the feeling of grass under foot, they lift their feet and put them down very carefully. Perhaps it tickles! They do like eating the grass though, they got the hang of that right away!

Sympathising with the freezer problem - we are in the process of moving house so trying to empty ours, but it's still full of gooseberries, and that's in spite of gooseberry cake, lots of crumbles, jam, puddings and even lamb and gooseberry curry!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 95,344 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking

WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT FOOD?!!!!! Smolly & her sticky buns and now you and your roast chicken pie....serious food envy occurring now!

On the plus side I'm reasonably organised about food at the moment but still can't establish why the freezer never seems to get any emptier. Hmmm.
    erm you are on my thread and food is where it is at

my question would be why aren't we talking about more food fish finger sandwich for lunch and it was uber lush :P

Greying oooh now that's lovely.

Mila exactly and Trog - oooooooh so exciting.

My two are waving back.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 13-10-2016 at 3:58 PM.
    Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Yes. Very fair point, nicely made.

What was I thinking Lady Stripes of Snowdrop Manor?!

Mila is correct about freezers also - we have two and they're both devious little devils!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,742Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter