Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • amberz
    • By amberz 23rd Oct 15, 9:13 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    amberz
    • 23rd Oct 15, 9:13 AM
    • 23rd Oct 15, 9:13 AM
    I have never had credit in my name in my address, can I check to see if anyone else has?. have a feeling my daughter may have but would like confirmation before confronting her.I have done a search before and my credit rating was fine but it was in my name. I'd like to check if there are any other names with credit. I hope I've explained properly, if not I am sorry, I am so worried about this.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 23rd Oct 15, 9:53 AM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 9,170 Thanks
    zx81
    • 23rd Oct 15, 9:53 AM
    • 23rd Oct 15, 9:53 AM
    Any credit in your name will appear on your credit files.

Any credit in someone else's name will appear on their credit file, which you cannot see.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Oct 15, 10:42 AM
    • 27,747 Posts
    • 17,522 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 23rd Oct 15, 10:42 AM
    • 23rd Oct 15, 10:42 AM
    I have never had credit in my name in my address, can I check to see if anyone else has?. have a feeling my daughter may have but would like confirmation before confronting her.I have done a search before and my credit rating was fine but it was in my name. I'd like to check if there are any other names with credit. I hope I've explained properly, if not I am sorry, I am so worried about this.
    Originally posted by amberz
    Your rating isn't used for financial means, what matters is whats on your credit file.

Credit is done by name only and wont get the house blacklisted if for example she misses a payment but could find letters from the lender asking for payment.

It is dishonest what she has done so yes tell her so.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Thailand
    • By Thailand 1st Jan 16, 5:59 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Thailand
    • 1st Jan 16, 5:59 PM
    Update
    • 1st Jan 16, 5:59 PM
    Currently researching options to keep tabs on all 3 files in the cheapest way and felt I should say that Equifax are now £14.95, not £8.99 as stated in the article. Perhaps clearscore and checkmyfile are impacting on their bottom line. So Equifax now as expensive as the biggest provider - Experian.

This said there's no way I'll be continuing with Equifax after my trial anyway!
    Bank is spelt - L.I.A.R.S
    • susanbythesea
    • By susanbythesea 8th Feb 16, 6:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    susanbythesea
    • 8th Feb 16, 6:13 PM
    • 8th Feb 16, 6:13 PM
    I annually check my credit file from experian and equifax and find them fine and accurate, recently signed up to clearscore and they had some major inaccuracies in 2 of the accounts balances, as in out by thousands of pounds!!, there was recently an update to the figures in my report and still the inaccuracies... personally do not think I will trust there reports in the future.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 2nd Mar 16, 9:02 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    • 2nd Mar 16, 9:02 AM
    Credit checks?
    • 2nd Mar 16, 9:02 AM
    Seems to me the only reason to check a credit rating is if you intend to borrow? If you do the lender will usually carry out this for you, saving YOU time and money.
    Many people, like myself, haven't had the need to borrow for decades, and so checking annually would be a complete waste of money, MoneySavingsExpert! If I do need to borrow, I know I can get credit from my building society tomorrow. They know my history. I've been with them for 30 years.
    To me, the credit-check industry has all the hallmarks of a "service" based on fear, misuse and mis-appropriation of personal financial history, and I for one will boycot it!
    Last edited by Dewpoint; 02-03-2016 at 9:11 AM.
    • leaphaze
    • By leaphaze 25th Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    leaphaze
    • 25th Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    Free access to Experian credit score with Barclaycard
    • 25th Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    I had a flyer from Barclaycard with a recent statement which says you can get free ongoing access to your Experian credit score through Barclaycard.

The flyer says you need to be registered for Barclaycard online servicing.
    Once logged in, you select "Experian Credit Score" from the summary page, supply some details, and the credit score will normally be available within 48 hours.

However, I found the Experian Credit Score option was under Account Services rather than on the summary page. The details asked for appear to be just your address history.

The service is free and the credit score updates every 60 days; you can opt to be sent an email when this happens.

Note that, other than checking the website, I have not applied for this since I'd prefer the free cashback with a free trial.
    Wearing my other one today.
    • backinbusiness
    • By backinbusiness 25th Mar 16, 4:07 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    backinbusiness
    • 25th Mar 16, 4:07 PM
    • 25th Mar 16, 4:07 PM
    Dewpoint,

It's good financial practice whether you need to borrow or not to keep an eye on your credit files. It could alert you quickly to an identity fraud. You don't have to pay for 2 out of 3 agencies, and the other one is only £2. I think you'd be naive not to check. Just my opinion.
    DF
    • koru
    • By koru 7th Jul 16, 11:17 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    koru
    I had a flyer from Barclaycard with a recent statement which says you can get free ongoing access to your Experian credit score through Barclaycard.
    Originally posted by leaphaze
    If it is just the credit score, will it have the same information as a Statutory Credit Report, or just a single number, being your score?
    koru
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Jul 16, 11:21 AM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 9,170 Thanks
    zx81
    It's just a credit score, so just a pointless number.

Yours is 587 today.
    • davidmaxwaterman
    • By davidmaxwaterman 11th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davidmaxwaterman
    not just for when you want credit
    The credit scores/etc aren't just for when you want to borrow money. I want to open a bank account and they are checked then too - ie I don't want to borrow anything, just get paid and withdraw money. Of course, there's a risk to them somewhere, which is why they're checking - presumably it is overdrafts or something like that; but it's certainly not me wanting any money, instead I just want the service of a bank account.

A couple of refusals caused me to check the report and there's something on my report about someone else - it won't tell me what or who because even to them it is clear it isn't me. So, now I have to figure out how to fix that error.

Of course, I'm assuming that is what the problem is. Like someone else here, I notice all the balances are wrong - most of them are zero, with only my credit card being different, at £3. Are those balances supposed to be accurate?
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 11th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    GingerBob
    The credit scores/etc aren't just for when you want to borrow money. I want to open a bank account and they are checked then too - ie I don't want to borrow anything, just get paid and withdraw money. Of course, there's a risk to them somewhere, which is why they're checking - presumably it is overdrafts or something like that; but it's certainly not me wanting any money, instead I just want the service of a bank account.

A couple of refusals caused me to check the report and there's something on my report about someone else - it won't tell me what or who because even to them it is clear it isn't me. So, now I have to figure out how to fix that error.

Of course, I'm assuming that is what the problem is. Like someone else here, I notice all the balances are wrong - most of them are zero, with only my credit card being different, at £3. Are those balances supposed to be accurate?
    Originally posted by davidmaxwaterman

Everything is supposed to be accurate, but the CRAs don't do quality assurance, so it's a certainty that their databases will be riddled with errors.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 27,747 Posts
    • 17,522 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Originally posted by davidmaxwaterman
    The reports are checked yes but not the score, only you can see the score. I can bump up the score if you like if you forward me some biscuits eg Garibaldi, custard creams.
    Je Suis Charlie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,082Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: Tonight #MartinLewis looks into our family finances; Marriage tax allowance, student loans and child tax credit, 8pm on @ITV?

• Don't forget 8pm tonight ITV - should be a good show. As always my aim is to, in effect, pay you to watch #martinlewis money show

• RT @bbc5live: After midday, money-saving @MartinSLewis will be here to answer your financial questions ????https://t.co/UQMSd5TKbb https://t.?

• Follow Martin