Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 1st Jun 14, 9:11 AM
    • 180Posts
    • 401Thanks
    Mysteek
    I Wanna See the Light
    • 1st Jun 14, 9:11 AM
    I Wanna See the Light 1st Jun 14 at 9:11 AM
    Hello Diary, I hope we will be best friends over the next weeks/months/years (hopefully not too many of those!)

Why the Title? Cos I really do want to see the light at the end of the tunnel.At the moment I canít even see the tunnel but Iím sure its just around the corner, I just need to keep walking towards it with focus and determination.

Why a Diary? Well its two-fold really.Firstly its for me.Iím a very private person, preferring to keep my business to myself and sort my own problems out.But sometimes it helps to get things down in black and white, to shock yourself maybe into realising how bad things are but also to keep yourself focused on the task in hand, if you tell everyone about it then you have to keep going as you donít want everyone to know youíve failed. Iíve never done anything like this before so I feel a little vulnerable at the moment for Ďbaring my allí if you like. So if you feel able to leave any comment, please be kind lol
    Second reason is that I think that its wrong to just be a taker in life. Although I apparently joined MSE some years ago (I had forgotten Iíd joined) Iíve only been looking at the forums over the last couple of week, particularly the Debt Free Wannabe Board.Cos I wannabe debt free!!!! The ppl on here are amazing and so brave I think, theyíve given me the courage to do this and to really face up to the amount of debt I have at the moment and do something about it.Iíd just like to thank everyone who gives advice and help to ppl who need it, I am sure some goals would not be achieved without this support. What Iím trying to say is that by doing this diary I am trying Ďgiveí something, I hope in some small way it will help someone else who, like me, has been afraid to step up and admit they have a problem. Donít think "Iíll start next week, beginning of the month, first of the month, after Christmas" etc. etc. DO IT NOW!

Whatís the Problem? Too much debt amassed over 20+ years due to various reasons. Out of work, lending to help family members, over spending on stuff we donít need.You know, the usual story. But its now got to stop, if we want to stay in the house we love and where our children grew up in we have to get rid of this debt. I do not want to enter retirement (in 7 years time hopefully) with a burden of weight around my neck, we just wouldnít have the money to clear it off then.

The Plus Side: Everything is paid each month always on time so there is no problem there, I have a good salary so know we can do this with careful managing, DH is SE so his income is not easy to budget as it varies tremendously from one week to the next.

Possible Fly in the Ointment: And itís a great big blue bottle of a fly! A couple of weeks ago we learned that the company I work for is merging with another and there are possibly (more likely probably) going to be redundancies. That said, I am ignoring that for the moment as that is something I cannot control, but my debt is so thatís my focus at the moment. If I do get made redundant we will have to sit down and look at things again and make new plans. If I donít get made redundant then I will have not wasted months of not worrying and not working towards being debt free.

Oops just seen the length of my diary entry today, is there a limit to the size lol. Maybe that should be enough for now.

Just one last thing, I am determined to beat this thing! Iím sure my DH is fed up of me going on about it 24 hours a day but itís the only way to keep him focussed too.
    ** #44 Pay All Your Debts off By Xmas 2016 = 4,230.13/£4,230.12 PAID **
    #63 £1 a day/£2 coin for Xmas 2016 = £222.10/£366 min
    #4 MFW Pay 10% off Mortgage in 2016 = 0/£4,600 approx
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years £46,400£42,200
Page 7
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 14th May 15, 8:18 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Yearly Update Part 2

FINANCIAL

We did manage to pay CC1 off at the end of October last year. Woo hoo!

Then had quite a spendy period on DHís car, tax, test, tyres, insurance,accountant etc., then early this year about £1,000 on a DP Filter, service andsome other bits. Cars eh?

Then of course we had Christmas! Spent more than I had planned (mostly on the littleíun) but not as muchas I have previously, but all in all it was an improvement on past years.

In January CC1 offered me a free balance transfer with 4.9%interest. Stay with me now this gets alittle complicated :/

I transferred CC2 onto CC1. ThenCC2 offered me a 0% balance transfer (3% fee) for 9 months.

I transferred CC3 onto CC2. ThenCC3 offered me a 0% balance transfer (2.9% fee) for 20 months.

I transferred CC1 onto CC3. Inow have the two remaining CCís on interest free!!

In January I had a letter from my bank saying that I had paid PPI on aloan and that I may have been missold. I couldnít remember which loan it was asthey didnít actually give me any specific information but I couldnít rememberagreeing to any PPI. So I completed the form, posted it, got a reply saying thecomplaint had been upheld and offering me a settlement figure. I accepted andsent the signed form back and the money was in my account within a week! Canítbelieve how easily and quickly that happened. Anyway I got nearly £7k which paid off the overdraft (£3,500), flexiloan(£2,500) and the remaining £1,000 went to CC2.

Now a little about this flexiloan, its one of those loans thatís thereall the time and you can borrow and pay back as many times as you like. This debt is not actually mine, its DD2ís,but has been lingering around for years. It was when she split up with her partner and she was left with somedebt and was still at university at that time. I had to lend her the money to sort her out, but then I needed the moneyso had to use the flexiloan. Got a feeling I will have to write this off eventuallyas I donít think it will get paid back any time soon, but at least its off mycredit score.

Have also got rid of the car loan. Quick history: was taken out in my name and my previous car used in partexchange. Was to be a joint car with DD2as she needed it for work but it quickly became apparent that I didnít reallyneed it but she did so she took the car loan payments over. She has now insured it in her name and is nowthe registered keeper. I used a fee freecash balance transfer from CC1 to fund this. Then paid half of it off and transferred the rest to one of the interestfree CCís, I saved nearly £700 in interest by doing this. DD2 doesnít know Iíve done this and thinksthat the loan is still running as she now owes me the money and I still wanther to continue to pay it regularly. Soher monthly payment goes off the CC debt till itís paid off. She will get a surprise when I tell her itíspaid off 6 months before sheís expecting it to! Another thing thatís not my debt but is now off my credit score.

We had a sofa on DFS with about £1,200 (I know!) balance left on. Saved up and paid it off in April. Woo hoo!

DH has his car insurance on monthly payments which started in February,so decided to save up and pay that off too, saving interest. Woo hoo!

Iíve been thinking that weíve not done a lot this year but when I writeit all down I realise that we have been moving along nicely. I think its cos Iím too impatient.

My original debt total has increased to include the stuff Iíve paid offwhich werenít strictly my debts but were in my name.

So as of 14May 2015 we have paid of more than 55% of our unsecured debt.

I have opened ISAís for myself and my DH, the bank will give us £10 permonth for every monthly payment of £25 or above we make. £240 free money over 12 months, plus the moneywe save attracts tax free interest of 1.5% pa, so a no brainer I thought.

Have also purchased a copy of YNAB, tried the free trial and decided Ilike it and want to get into good budgeting habits for when I retire and doníthave my salary coming in every month. I like that I can have my mortgage etc.as Ďoff budgetí but I can still havethem there and record the balances coming down.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 14th May 15, 8:22 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Yearly Update Part 3

FUTURE PLANS

I have a small deferred dc pension which I want to draw out in totalunder the new regulations that came into force in April this year. Apparently not all pension schemes haveadopted all of the options so I am at the moment waiting for the trustees ofthe pension scheme to confirm that I can do this. Assuming I can, then the money will be putinto my ISA along with all the money we are saving (CCís will have minimumpayments made each month). When the freeinterest period on CC2 runs out in October this year, there will be enough inmy ISA to pay this off, with some left over.

Then I want to pay DHís car loan off. I know itís to do with his business and I havenít been including it indebts and it is solely in his name, but it would free up £260 pm. I think by around the end of the year, basedon a settlement figure we got a couple of months ago, it should be around £4k.

After that, it will just leave CC3 to pay off, which should have beencoming down nicely (around £8k I think) as I will have been paying £250 a monthwith no interest applied. The interestfree period finishes in October 2016 so no immediate rush.

If all plans come to fruition then I hope to be debt free by this timenext year.

From January 2016 I want to pay the maximum 10% into my pension (ourcompany matches this) and also make the maximum monthly overpayments to themortgage (20%), which hopefully should reduce the time by approx. a year orjust under (we have 5 years left).

When all debt is gone and thereís just the mortgage, every penny will besaved. We need stuff doing in the housewhich we are managing to live with at the moment but will need to doing in thenext year or so. So some of thesesavings will go to house maintenance and the rest saved for:

1. Paying off the mortage

2. My retirement

So still a lot to do but I think I can see that light twinkling in thedistance.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 14th May 15, 8:29 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek

Thought I would just list whatís been paid and whatís still to be paid

CC1 Ė PAID
    TV BNPL Ė PAID
    Catalogue BNPL Ė PAID
    Overdraft Ė PAID
    Flexiloan Ė PAID
    Car Loan Ė PAID
    Car Insurance Ė PAID
    DFS Ė PAID
    Next Ė PAID (last £50 or so will be paid end of this month)

Still to be paid:

CC2
    CC3
    DH Car Loan

Mortgage
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 26th May 15, 12:25 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Well my pension provider has confirmed that I am able to draw my total pension out as a cash sum so I have signed and forwarded the form confirming this is what I want to do, am awaiting their reply.

Depending on how much tax they take on the 75% which is taxed (20% or 40%), this money will either pay CC2 off completely or most of it.

Amidst people telling me not to do it, I am mindful of the fact that we have been told that there will be a 're-organisation' in March of next year, which can only mean they will be culling the workforce. Something that cannot be avoided, I think, when 2 companies merge.

So I need to get this debt off my back asap in case I lose my job as I wouldn't be getting enough monthly to be able to pay it off.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 28th May 15, 1:06 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Have been buying a lot on my Next account for the little'un (norty me!) and have just paid the last £67.50 today so that's now zero. DH has my card hidden in the garage so I can't use it again until I'm debt free!

Going away this weekend with DD1, haven't been anywhere for ages so am looking forward to a break. All paid for from proceeds of my craft stuff I sold on FB late last year. Hotel, train, etc. already paid for so only some spending money needed.

On Monday, back to debt busting and also weight busting. I need to lose a stone.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 10th Jul 15, 9:41 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Quick update:

CC1 - Although nil balance for a few months, I have now cancelled the card and closed the account. Card cut up and in the bin! Think I was hanging on to it "just in case" but have now been able to let go. Don't need to diet, feel a stone lighter already lol

CC2 - Pension monies will be received on 1 August to clear this, then card to be cancelled

CC3 - All available money to be thrown at this to clear asap, still on 0% till October 2016

Mortgage - First overpayment of 20% (maximum allowed) made on 1 July

DH's car loan. Decided to leave for time being as its for business not personal. Loan will finish in less than 2 years anyway. We'll see how things go and if we have any spare cash next year we might pay it off early, but CC's and mortgage are priority
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 31st Jul 15, 11:48 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Update:

CC2 - pension monies received to clear this off completely (just!), account closed and card cut up

CC3 - Balance £9,100, 0% till 23 October. Equates to 14 payments @ £650

So, going forward:

1. Payments on CC3 to be made as above.
    2. 20% overpayments on mortgage to continue.
    3. Maximum contributions to be made to pension from January 2016. I think I need to do this as I have only been paying the minimum so far, due to not having any money to do so, and I only have 6 years left to work but I'd like to retire earlier if possible.

This will leave me with virtually no spare cash each month but I can cancel the mortgage overpayments at any time if I need to. Hopefully I won't.

OH will try and make overpayments on his car loan when he c an, although as its for business purposes (he can't do his job without one) it is an expense he can claim against tax through his accounts.

I so love it when I am in control

At the weekend when I have time I will sit down and work out how much percentage wise we have paid off our debt. I think it may be around 80%. Fingers crossed

UPDATE: 78% paid off in just under 15 months!
    Last edited by Mysteek; 03-08-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 19th Oct 15, 1:06 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Haven't updated for a while as there has not been much to report as things are ticking over nicely. All debt that is left is CC 3, balance £8,600. I have reduced the overdraft limit from £3,500 to £500 as that is the 'free' interest portion, but no balance on there as I am determined that is only to be used in an extreme emergency.

Decided not to pay any more mortgage overpayments but to concentrate on getting this CC paid off, hopefully in next 5 months or so.

Looks like being redundancies at work in next few months too, (announcement last week about one of our offices in another country) so we're saving as much as we can just in case, mainly to get the CC paid off as we won't be able to pay it if I'm not earning a wage. And then try to save a bit to help us if the SHTF with regards to work. I'm under no illusion that it would be very difficult for me to get a job at my age or one that would pay anything like the salary I have at the moment. Its not huge in comparison with people I work with but to me it is.

My mortgage is split into 2 accounts, and depending on what redundancy terms there would be I should be able to pay one of them off. If I pay the smaller one off, we wouldn't have enough coming in to make payments on the other one plus all living expenses. If I pay the larger one off we might, with a very tight squeeze, manage to make payments on that. There would be no room for any emergencies though

I hate waiting for stuff to happen, it drives me potty. I like to be in control and in this case I am not as I am in the hands of others
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 2nd Nov 15, 2:21 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Quick Update:

Have decided I need rid of the last credit card, whether its interest free till next October or not! Have paid off half already and my target is to pay the rest by end of March 2016. I will do my best to try and pay it off earlier.

After CC3 paid I want to then concentrate on the mortgage. The terms have been changed so we can pay off 10% of the outstanding balance per year. Up until end of September the only overpayments allowed were up to 20% of the monthly payments, so its given us a little more flexibility. Am looking for a new product as my existing mortgage terms are due to expire end Jan 2016.

Still no news on the work front so carrying on regardless.

Can't believe its now November and getting closer to Christmas! Where has this year gone?
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 24th Nov 15, 1:18 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    CC3 balance £3,400.

Have decided to continue paying the minimum for the time being as we REALLY need to redo our shower room. Its not a want, its a need, its 25 years old and shower has broken and its a coloured suite (yuk). No interest on CC3 till next October so plenty of time to get it cleared.

Have rearranged mortgage on a fixed rate for another 2 years (starts 1 February) saving around £6 a month. Not a lot, but its £6 towards overpayment! I want to try and make the maximum 10% overpayment allowed for next year.
    • Wonder4day
    • By Wonder4day 27th Nov 15, 9:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wonder4day
    I don't believe that I've read it through.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 27th Nov 15, 10:18 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Hi Wonder4day

You read all my diary? Was it a cure for insomnia lol. Seriously though, many thanks if you did
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 6th Jan 16, 3:10 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    There's the light, its shining brightly!
    Just typed a long spiel out only for it to go awol when I tried to post it !!

Just wanted to record that Iíve decided on a debt free day:

24 October 2016!!

I could have made this sooner but my last remaining cc is on 0% till October and I wanted to take advantage of the free interest so I can make overpayments on the mortgage(hopefully the full 10% a year allowed). We also really need to redo our shower room and the boiler is 25 years old so if anything happens it will need to be replaced as weíve been told that it would be difficult to obtain spares for it. So need to have an EF in place.

I have divided the cc balance by 10 months and set up these payments to be paid automatically each month, the last one is on 24 October! So hopefully I can forget about this as it should take care of itself.

Just keeping fingers crossed that nothing happens to scupper the plans, there are still rumours of redundancies at work but nothing has come from the management as yet.

I have joined 3 challenges to help keep me focused.

I donít want to tempt fate but ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ. (not even gonna say it lol)

PS when adding up the debts initially I didnít include the tax I was paying back, as it was coming out of my salary I totally forgot about it! This should have been paid off by the end of this tax year so hoping to be £50/60 a month better off from April.
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 26th Jan 16, 10:22 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Is it just me that changes their mind all the time on how they want to organise their debt repayment? I decide on one way, create all the spreadsheets, standing orders etc. and then change my mind again.............and again....................and again!!

So as of today my debt free date will be 24 March 2016 (unless I change my mind again) as I just can't stand the cc debt being there at all, its like a huge big wart that I need to get rid of . Balance is £2,400 so 2 more payments should see it gone.

Then to start on the mortgage OP's. Hmm now how many ways can I think of to get this done..........

• Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 15th Mar 16, 10:11 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Nearly there!!
    Just a quick update:

Financial
    One more payment to make on the last remaining credit card (and debt) of £1,200 so waiting very impatiently for my pay day on 24 March. Only 9 days to go!

Work
    Just dodged another redundancy bullet this month, don't know how much longer I can keep doing this but will keep hanging on as long as possible.

Family
    Another grandchild on the way, its only early days yet so its all hush hush. But excited

So, when I become debt free on 24 March (I can hardly dare say it in case it jinxes it!), then future plans are to get an emergency fund and overpay on the mortgage. I have joined a challenge to pay off my mortgage in 3 years which I think is doable provided I'm still in employment and nothing major in terms of expenses occurs.

Then its saving to retire, which seems to be coming upon me rather too quickly!!
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 15th Mar 16, 10:16 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Nearly there!!
    Just a quick update:

Financial
    One more payment to make on the last remaining credit card (and debt) of £1,200 so waiting very impatiently for my pay day on 24 March. Only 9 days to go!

Work
    Just dodged another redundancy bullet this month, don't know how much longer I can keep doing this but will keep hanging on as long as possible.

Family
    Another grandchild on the way, its only early days yet so its all hush hush. But excited

So, when I become debt free on 24 March (I can hardly dare say it in case it jinxes it!), then future plans are to get an emergency fund and overpay on the mortgage. I have joined a challenge to pay off my mortgage in 3 years which I think is doable provided I'm still in employment and nothing major in terms of expenses occurs.

Then its saving to retire, which seems to be coming upon me rather too quickly!!
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 24th Mar 16, 8:37 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Don't you just love the light!
    Well Iíve finally gone and done it! Last payment made to CC3 this morning as soon as my salary went into my account. No final interest charges to pay as it was on 0%.
    First thing on my list now is to save up an emergency fund as we have absolutely no savings whatsoever so if we needed anything we would have to rely on overdraft/flexiloan which I do not want to ever have to rely on ever ever ever again.
    After that, its start a retirement fund as it will be upon me before I know it!

Iím off to get my badge!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 21st Sep 16, 1:04 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Mysteek

I'm a bit late I know but thought I would post my congratulations on becoming debt free! You did amazingly well and I found your post on the debt free roll of honour very helpful.

Thank you for the kind comments you made the other day on my last diary. I can't see that you have started another but hope you pop in from time on my new one so we can support one another on the road to retirement!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £4,000 (25/09/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 22nd Sep 16, 1:40 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Hi Seasidegal, thanks for popping in and for your lovely comments, I haven’t used my diary for a while now so it was a nice surprise.
    No, I haven’t started a new diary as yet, for several reasons really. One is, I wouldn’t know in which category to put it. Maybe there should be a “Work Free Wannabee” category lol. I also want to clear my mortgage before I retire, do some stuff in the house etc. etc. the list just goes on and on. My fear is that I will run out of time before I can manage to achieve everything I want to and end up retiring with no money to live on.
    Have found your new diary and have subscribed so yes we can keep each other company in our journey to be happily retired! We sound very similar in terms of age and work situation, as I have also been ducking redundancy for a few years now and there are rumours of possibly more next year. Oh well I’ll just have to keep my head down a bit longer won’t I lol.
    Hope I’m not rabbiting on too much, I’m at work and trying to type this without being seen lol
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 23rd Sep 16, 8:24 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Mysteek
    I was the same as you - wasn't sure where to post at first. But I find that there are threads on here where folks are posting because they are saving for specific events etc and are watching the pennies so thought I would "stay at home" so to speak. . Hope I don't get evicted!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £4,000 (25/09/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,423Posts Today

6,708Users online

Martin's Twitter