Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 27th May 14, 9:17 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Warning: Npower's slapping ex-customers with huge bills
    • 27th May 14, 9:17 PM
    MSE News: Warning: Npower's slapping ex-customers with huge bills 27th May 14 at 9:17 PM
    Some Npower customers who've switched away have reported receiving bills months later demanding money...

Read the full story:

Warning: Npower's slapping ex-customers with huge bills

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 15
    • eda
    • By eda 3rd Jun 16, 12:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    I did not leave nPower- I was so naive and I stayed with them at my new address. I closed my old account in December 2014 - the CORRECT ISSUED BILL was paid by me.
    To my surprise after almost one year and a half I received letters from npower asking me to pay 2 new bills.
    Firstly I thought it was a mistake and the bills belonged to the present tenants so I contacted the customer service advising to address the bills to the current tenants but after some time I was warned that if I do not pay, my account will be sent to a Debt Collection Agent and a County Court Summons may be issued against me.
    I really do not understand why my account was reopen after it had been closed for almost 1.5 year with a new bill with FAKE figures. I checked the new bill and the figures for the electric are 1676 kWh greater than the real ones.
    I paid the ďoutstanding amountĒ because I did not want to have unnecessary notes in my credit history but this is a fraud and it must be justified.
    I really don't know where npower got those numbers from, taking into account that I was using 100-150 kWh monthly and 1676 kWh is a whole year of electric for my household.
    Of course I made a complaint to npower but I think it is a case for the court- why should I pay for what I did not use?

• teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Jun 16, 1:41 PM
    • 5,428 Posts
    • 3,226 Thanks
    Have you contacted Executive Complaints via email, instead of just talking to call centre staff ? I've always found the former to be very helpful.
    • GeordieGirl123
    • By GeordieGirl123 11th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NPower ruined my credit rating
    I realise that most of these comments are old, but I have had an interesting situation...

I left NPower in August 2014 and fully paid up my account - in fact, I was in credit, so the final account was paid back to me, after which point I cancelled my DD (I had already moved out).

Two months or so ago, I started to get calls from a debt collection agency trying to chase money on behalf of NPower, an alleged unpaid bill at the end of my tenancy. I contacted NPower who insisted they had been writing to me (they had not) and that I had to pay the bill - only around £50. They have also admitted that they 'reopened my closed account', although cannot say why this happened.

I disputed this and they agreed that they would be prepared to write it off as a goodwill gesture. However, I am still getting hounded by debt collection agencies for this sum. Not only this, but I have now checked my credit file with Experian, and as a result of NPower's mistake (suggesting I have not been paying for 2+ years_ which they are yet to put right, my credit rating is 'VERY POOR', which would mean that I would have difficulty in getting a mortgage or borrowing money. I have never had any other unpaid debts and am savvy when it comes to how credit ratings work - my file was previously 'VERY GOOD'. As I am at the stage in my life where I have been trying to arrange a mortgage, I'm devastated.

I have followed their complaints procedure but thus far am getting nowhere fast. NPower will not agree to redress the Experian credit history until they have worked out why I have not paid my bill, despite me having proof of having paid, a closed account and proof of not having lived at the address for over two years. Next step is the Ombudsman, but it all takes time and has severely impacted my personal life and house buying ability.

Am in shock that a company could do this. If they don't fix the problem soon, I won't be able to buy a house.
    Last edited by GeordieGirl123; 11-10-2016 at 2:30 PM. Reason: additional info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,902Users online

Martin's Twitter