Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    extrapole
    Swoggi penny auction site or scam?
    • 24th May 14, 11:56 AM
    Swoggi penny auction site or scam? 24th May 14 at 11:56 AM
    I feel foolish to have fallen for this but cannot un-do what I have done .
    Attracted by what appeared to be a good way to get high tech goods for a bargain basement price,I became a Swoggi Member and had to buy credits in order to bid for the items I wanted .Foolishly,I bought £250 credit because I thought I might have to go that high to get my hands on the iPad I wanted .
    I started bidding and soon grew tired of having to bid constantly ,only to be outbidded at the last second .So,I decided to call it a day and cancelled my account .
    And this is when the problem started ! I asked for a refund of the money left on my now closed account and was told by their "customer service" ,the matter was now in the hands of their refund department and that I would get my money -minus- £15 for admin - within three weeks .That was on the 2nd of May and now more than three weeks later ,I still do not have the funds refunded and worse ,they do not answer my emails .
    I wonder if I am ever going to have my money back ?
    Is Swoggi a scam or a genuine online auction site ?
Page 11
    • katpoo
    • By katpoo 20th Jan 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katpoo
    please please all people that feel they have been scammed contact the action fraud i have opened up a case but it needs numbers to either get them shut down and if you have used paypal or a card get your money
    please act for yourselves and the other we need numbers to have an action

Action Fraud - report and support
    Contact the helpline
    To report a fraud using your telephone please call:
    0300 123 2040 back.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Jan 17, 2:34 PM
    • 59,481 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    My first knowledge of Swoggi came from a blog from none other than Martin Lewis, founder of MSE.
    Martin's experience was favourable having successfully won on 2 out of 2 bids. He did point out that your chance of winning increases significantly when you are bidding for less popular items e.g food blender rather than Iphone 7.
    However - that does not seem to be an experience shared by the majority of forum members. On that basis I think I will avoid Swoggi. and any similar bid sites
    Remember one thing - If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
    Originally posted by mellee
    Martin has not endorsed Swoggi, you were on a look a like site , probably moneysaving 360. If you are using the internet you must be careful when using sites set up to mislead people, they rely on people not bothering to actually look at the site properly, and to just assume they are on a legit site.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 20th Jan 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    RHemmings
    My first knowledge of Swoggi came from a blog from none other than Martin Lewis, founder of MSE.
    Martin's experience was favourable having successfully won on 2 out of 2 bids. He did point out that your chance of winning increases significantly when you are bidding for less popular items e.g food blender rather than Iphone 7.
    However - that does not seem to be an experience shared by the majority of forum members. On that basis I think I will avoid Swoggi. and any similar bid sites
    Remember one thing - If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
    Originally posted by mellee
    I don't believe that Martin ever blogged about Swoggi. There was a site which pretended to be MSE, I think it was called 'moneyexpert.com', but this had nothing to do with Martin.

EDIT: Distracted after I started posting and then beaten to it.
    Last edited by RHemmings; 20-01-2017 at 4:32 PM.
    • Andrew Marshalleck
    • By Andrew Marshalleck 11th Feb 17, 12:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andrew Marshalleck
    The address they use i fake . After being told by paypal i didnt have a leg to stand on i almost lost it but then i remembered that the verifcation screen didnt show i was about to spend moey. So i told paypal that the customer was able to have paypal at a dodgy address but when i wanted to sell something i had to forward id before they would let me also the verificaton screen was blank so that only means paypal has been hacked that being said either they or you (paypal) are at fault now give me my money.by the tine i logged into my online bank the funds were returned
    • rosina40
    • By rosina40 23rd Feb 17, 11:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rosina40
    Got the same problem. Major scammers.
    • rosina40
    • By rosina40 23rd Feb 17, 11:34 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rosina40
    scam
    I saw the same blog promoting it and thought I would give it a try.
    However I didn`t I didn`t finish the registration, having second thoughts and had it completed for me. I thought the credits were to pay for goods. It is a scam. I enquired about getting my money back and they said I could cancel by email and they would keep £15.00. So I said leave it I will use it rather than have it stolen too only to find I don`t have an account. Con artists
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 23rd Feb 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    bxboards
    This site and others have had their ads. banned

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/auction-sites-ads-banned-claims-madbid-asa
    • diatkine
    • By diatkine 27th Feb 17, 12:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diatkine
    It is worth trying with paypal
    Hi
    A POSITIVE OUTCOME
    I'll sum up my case: I paid 28£ for an auction. Got debitted 2x28£. I first asked to be refunded for 28£. They replied they couldn't but would double my credits as an apology. Then they said I could cancel the whole transaction, but that they'd keep 15£ for processing my record. I asked for a full refund. In the meantime I had tried their auction system, and realized it was a scam. So They said that since I "used my credits" I couldn't be refunded.
    I had to fill 2 different reclamations through Paypal, for the 2 payments. I didn't fill the 1st correctly, saying I didn't receive the item I purchased. Swoggi said they had provided the service I paid for, and Paypal closed the case in their favour. For the 2nd, I said the service was not conform. It worked for the 2nd. That was very quick. I phoned paypal, I phone them and asked that they'd reopen the case, which they did. I explained everything, and especially that this website is uses robots to keep the auctions permanent. THey also told me if they notice a large amount of reclamations regarding this website, they'll suspend their partnership with them.
    Conclusion : send as many reclamations you can, and describe your issue precisely. You'll get a refund, and they'll ban Swoggy.
    Also, write to any website that advertises for them.
    Last edited by diatkine; 27-02-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 27th Feb 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I don't know how the directors sleep at night worrying what people might do to them. Surely if they have brains they could think up a legitimate way to make money?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • DoraB2
    • By DoraB2 19th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DoraB2
    Hi, I was caught by the advert from Money Expert extolling the virtues of swoggi.com but thought I would check it out first - so glad I did. I went back to Money Expert and thought I would contact them from their web page and this is a copy of the email I have sent them - I think it is disgusting the way they feel they have the right to dupe people.

"I actually thought I was contacting Money Expert as the contact link was on their web page but, lo and behold, it is actually swoggi.com

I am so glad I researched swoggi.com beforehand as everything points to this being a scam. Several years ago, I was caught by a company called MadBid.Com and every time, and I mean every time, I got to 1 second of winning an item, a bid would be entered leaving me no time to rebid and I would lose my credits and the auction – the strange thing was that it was always one of the same 3 people who made the final bid. I did complain to the company and was told they would put the money I had spent on credits and offset it against the actual price of the item which I could then purchase for that price!!!!! Even with automatic bidding, I was always outbid no matter how high my maximum bid. I must admit, I did fall for it for some time and wasted quite a bit of money until I realised what was happening and noticed the link between the time of the winning bid and the winning bidder.

As one person says, this is not a shopping experience this is pure and simply gambling and should be placed on a gambling site.

I feel you should remove the web page as Money Expert as this is making people think that it must be OK –“ after all these are money experts” – and disclose your relationship to swoggi.com and stop misleading people.

Dora Boulding"
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 19th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    The Money Expert site has a similar name to this one Money Saving Expert, but there is no other connection.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • john2054
    • By john2054 2nd Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    john2054
    It's a scam i'm afraid. You have most likely lost your money!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 11,207 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    It's a scam i'm afraid. You have most likely lost your money!
    Originally posted by john2054
    schools are out everyone
    • Keljue
    • By Keljue 5th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Keljue
    Beware, it is not what it seems
    I feel slightly like a fool also. I thought it was an auction site slightly different to ebay where I have been trading from the beginning. NOTHING LIKE IT.
    Basically, you pay for your credits and use them to bid, sounds OK...BUT. each bid costs you 50p and the price of the item goes up in 1p increments. So, if you see an iphone for example with a current price of £50 (looks like a bargain) understand this has had approximately 5000 bids on in other words, £2500 of bidders money.
    As it accepts the latest bid within 10 seconds of the auction ending, you could literally have to keep bidding and bidding your 50p's away not really knowing when it will end. You can use a bid robot (like ebay's maximum bid option) but still, every bid you place costs you 50p (unlike ebay)
    I realised it was a particularly unsavoury site after trying one bid which I won using 34 credits. I closed the account in the belief I had now got 216 credits worth £108 (which is true) only to be told that I only have 66 credits left worth £33 and they are charging me £15 admin fee to close the account.
    I have queried this but I am getting nonsense replys from them as they are trying to avoid the issue. I am still trying to get a sensible answer but in the meantime, I am going to report this behaviour.
    Be aware, not what you might think.
    • Barneymate
    • By Barneymate 11th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Barneymate
    PayPal Works
    Hi, foolishly, I too tried this site, but opted to pay £58 through PayPal - the cheapest option they had. I made one bid and then realised where it was all heading, so closed the account and requested a refund - all by email. Much as it pains me to say, they provided a refund, minus their £15 admin fee, which returned £42.50 to my account. That was in less than 24 hours.
    • Horvak
    • By Horvak 21st Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Horvak
    Hi Kath
    Could you detail how you got your refund from Paypal please?
    • darklocke
    • By darklocke 23rd Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    darklocke
    The first of these kind of sites I can remember was about 15 years ago! I was nearly tempted then but a close read of the T&Cs made it clear that they were not auctions but gambling )and not with great odds - you'd probably do better betting black or red on roulette).
    • catherinna
    • By catherinna 27th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    catherinna
    here is another funny site that is a scam site apvpresearchchemicals.com They took aware from $450. The funny thing is they are not replying anymore to myemails and calls
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 27th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    here is another funny site that is a scam site apvpresearchchemicals.com They took aware from $450. The funny thing is they are not replying anymore to myemails and calls
    Originally posted by catherinna
    What do you expect from a site selling you crystal meth. Do you think it's just going to turn up with a VAT invoice?
    • Swoggihater
    • By Swoggihater 7th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Swoggihater
    Swoggi refund
    I got scammed by Swoggi via Paypal when I thought it was just an account verification. I used the new Paypal Resolution Centre and said the moneys were unauthorised withdrawals, which they were. Within 5 days my money, several hundred pounds, was returned. Thank you Paypal.
    Last edited by Swoggihater; 07-10-2017 at 1:55 PM. Reason: Poor english
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter