Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smudger1946
    • By smudger1946 17th May 14, 3:55 PM
    • 631Posts
    • 91Thanks
    smudger1946
    purple brick
    • 17th May 14, 3:55 PM
    purple brick 17th May 14 at 3:55 PM
    Any good or bad reviews on Purple Brick house selling company?
    Last edited by smudger1946; 17-05-2014 at 4:35 PM.
Page 4
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 28th Feb 16, 7:52 PM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    We have just sold a second house using Purple Bricks and have been very happy with the service. We paid the extra for the viewings to be done by Purple Bricks as one of the houses was 45 miles away. You get a regular estate agent so you get the experience and they get all the pictures, plans, descriptions done before uploading to all the property websites. I had contact cards galore from rival estate agents saying Mr XYZ is looking for a property please contact us!

I would use them again and quite happy if anyone wants more feedback.

I'm just waiting for Purple Cars next (-;
    Originally posted by cstevens99
    Carwow.co.uk maybe?
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 7th Mar 16, 12:28 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    Specific local agent reports?
    Hi all,
    seems that maybe specifying an "area" & the local agent (perhaps by initials rather than full name if necessary) and rating the service received there would help others intending to use purplebricks.

I've no knowledge of the agent turnover rate however but that may also yield useful info over time.
    Let me Google that for you...
    • Tristanita
    • By Tristanita 10th Mar 16, 12:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tristanita
    Purplebricks - sellers update.
    As an update to my previous post. I’ve now had 30 viewings and 8 offers. The feedback from viewers is positive and many preferred being shown round by me, who can answer their questions about age of boiler, who the neighbours are, the parking etc etc...

The online booking system has worked. The only downside is that on the open days it allows people to turn up at the same time, so at peak times often 2 viewers in the flat at any one time - but it wasn't an issue.

The agent is on standby ready to negotiate, I have asked him to hold off as 4 more people have requested 2nd viewings and I don't wish them to feel rushed.

I have had no problems, I prepared my own details for the flat and handed them out as people entered, the info/photos/floorplan from the web advert plus other info such as Council Tax Band, length of lease, maintenance charge, my solicitor details, gas/elec/broadband provider etc etc which I recommend doing as it was appreciated by viewers.

I do appreciate that for the technophobes out there this could be complicated, and I guess the quality of the agent varies. However I do think that if you are prepared to take interest in the process and responsibility for the viewings this can be a very straightforward and economical way to sell. Purchasers have not reported any negatives either.

An extract from my online progress report:

How is my advert performing generally?
    •Days on market 20
    •Number of people tracking 10
    •Number of viewings arranged (total) - only includes attended viewings and viewings that have yet to take place 38
    •Number of viewings cancelled 9
    •Number of offers (total) 8
    •Number of feedback (total) 11

Feedback given by gaya (viewing on 05/03/2016 at 12:00):
    Lovely flat. Seller was very helpful in managing the viewing and answering questions

Feedback given by Ali (viewing on 05/03/2016 at 15:00):
    Just brilliant. Absolutely lovely place and Tristan was the best 'estate agent' we've ever dealt with.

Feedback given by Tara (viewing on 09/03/2016 at 18:30):
    Great property and seller did excellent job of showing us around. Thanks

Feedback given by Angus (viewing on 05/03/2016 at 14:30):
    Tristan was very welcoming. She provided all relevant information and answered our questions fully and honestly. The printed pack was particularly useful.

As a footnote (and as suggested by the post above) my area is Mile End, East London - E3 and my agent is Simon Taylor who has been very good and always responds promptly to any message I send.
    Last edited by Tristanita; 10-03-2016 at 1:01 PM.
    • rr2
    • By rr2 20th Mar 16, 9:27 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rr2
    Can someone please explain what is going on with purplebrick. I have just put my house on the market with them and have two viewings today at 1130 and 1200.
    Last edited by rr2; 20-03-2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: im stupid
    • rr2
    • By rr2 20th Mar 16, 10:14 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rr2
    please ignore the above- sunday morning meltdown!
    • martinnoz
    • By martinnoz 15th Jul 16, 7:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    martinnoz
    16 weeks?
    I have bought and sold 3 properties in the last 2 years none of which were completed in under 6 months.
    • altec_09
    • By altec_09 24th Aug 16, 2:06 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    altec_09
    I thought I'd share my experience that I have put on trust pilot:

Beware! Terrible service and tie you into useless conveyancers/solicitors

Purple Bricks are only interested in getting a property listed and not in selling it. You'd be better off advertising it yourself. They make you use PLS solicitors who are useless and extremely expensive for both selling and purchasing. If you want to use a different solicitor/conveyancer you have to pay an additional fee of £360 to purple bricks.

I would advise anyone outside of an expensive area where it might save you a bit of money to go elsewhere.

I wouldn't believe all of the positive feedback on here, I can't for a second trust that it's genuine.
    • abcos123
    • By abcos123 24th Aug 16, 2:14 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    abcos123
    Good to read this. I had a valuation with PB and NEARLY instructed them. Was put off by the pay up front business.. and ultimately didnt go there... but have considered it since.

The sales guy that came round is local and seemed like a nice guy. Span it to me that their USP is 24/7 support through their portal where you can manage viewings yourself, any day of the week. Sounds promising, but in the current dreadful time im having in selling my house, the value of agents actually phoning people and chasing them to do a viewing, is probably worth the extra couple hundred quid (property value dependent, of course)
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 24th Aug 16, 3:30 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Sold my last property using Urban Sales and Lettings: https://www.urban.co.uk

No complaints at all. Frequent contact to check how things are going and whether they can be of any more help.
    • oligopoly
    • By oligopoly 24th Aug 16, 3:38 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    oligopoly
    You'd be better off advertising it yourself.
    Originally posted by altec_09
    You're essentially paying the money to get onto RightMove and Zoopla - you can't do this yourself.

If you want to use a different solicitor/conveyancer you have to pay an additional fee of £360 to purple bricks.
    This was not at all true in my case. Their in-house conveyancing is not particularly cheap and doesn't have great reviews but it's optional.

I wouldn't believe all of the positive feedback on here, I can't for a second trust that it's genuine.
    We used them to sell our 3 bed semi and were very pleased from start to finish. You do get a more 'bare bones' service than others but it's a fraction of the price of others. Depends what you want I suppose and how much direct input you wish to have (or not as the case may be).
    Increasingly money-conscious
    • Seanymph
    • By Seanymph 24th Aug 16, 5:31 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 17,302 Thanks
    Seanymph
    I looked at them - and booked a valuation. Then spent 10 days trying to contact the guy via a mobile phone number to talk about it.

Phoned head office - got hung up on.

Phoned head office - they said he 'wasn't on holiday' and they would 'phone him and leave a message on his answerphone' - clearly they didn't think I'd already done that!

I figured if that was the level of service before you had even listed with them I wasn't about to give them the opportunity to not sell me house.
    • Stuart788
    • By Stuart788 24th Aug 16, 5:58 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Stuart788
    Terrible service and real sleazeballs for agents. Stay away.
    • Thatsthespirit
    • By Thatsthespirit 24th Aug 16, 6:39 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Thatsthespirit
    Flat has been on the market for almost 5 months now and only had 1 viewing.

Was instructed to start at 115k and now been dragged all the way down to 100k after a couple of drops.

I received a rare phone call the other week about something to do with the market, and been advised to bring it down yet again.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
    • Lemonsqueezer78
    • By Lemonsqueezer78 24th Aug 16, 10:25 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Lemonsqueezer78
    Just sold my place via purple bricks (subject to contract ) and no complaints so far. The advert was good, they took decent pictures. I basically wrote the room descriptions myself, but that's ok. It was easy to use their online platform for bookings and messaging with interested parties.

Their "after sales support" team is very call-centre based, and as a result is a bit reactive rather than pro-active in chasing for progress updates but they seem to respond well when you call in and will readily make calls to solicitors/EAs up and down the chain when you ask.

All in all, I sold my flat for £1000 rather than £4,500 and so I have no real complaints. Your mileage my vary of course, but I think in areas where property markets are reasonably buoyant and if your property is decent and you are pricing it appropriately (in other words, you have a property that will essentially sell itself) then I think PBs and similar online EAs are an excellent option.
    • Lemonsqueezer78
    • By Lemonsqueezer78 24th Aug 16, 10:40 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Lemonsqueezer78
    Although I will say this - today I called up and they were so busy that they were "overflowing" the after sales support calls to other areas of the call centre that don't deal with after sales support, meaning your call got answered by some agent who couldn't actually help you at all, which is rather pointless indeed. Somewhat annoying... although they do respond quite quickly to emails.
    • MilesC
    • By MilesC 26th Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MilesC
    Here are some facts that you may not know about Purplebricks. I’m posting my review here just in-case my review does get removed from the FaceBook or TrustPilot review sites.

We only used Purplebricks for 3 months before finding out that their online booking system is flawed, it has no security at all for the seller. There where many other issues that we were not happy with compared to using local estate agents, but to list them all would take at least ten page of writing, So here are the main facts as to why we stopped using Purplebricks.com.

1. We signed with Purplebricks.com knowing that the fee had to be paid if we left or didn’t sell after 10 months.
    2. We was NOT told that Purplebricks.com get paid this fee on the day you instructed them to sell your property, this is paid through a third party (Close Brothers Limited) with an unregulated loan (Not covered by the credit act).
    3. We had a very bad and disturbing viewing that made us question their security. (who would turn up on our doorstep next?)
    4. So I then tested the Purplebricks.com online security. (Created a fake account with everything fake including name,address, mobile, nothing was flagged or checked by their system and I was able to book an appointment to view my property).
    5. We then decided to go back with a local estate agent, we stopped using Purplebricks because of the bad experience and proven security issues. (Nowadays you have to be very safe on who you let into your home).
    6. We told Purplebricks about this security issue and why we stopped using them, we decided to make a formal complaint. (They deliberately started to wasting time and did not even comprehend our complaint).
    7. We ended up going to the Property Ombudsman with our complaint.

The only security check Purplebricks.com do when booking an appointment to view a property is to verify the potential buyers email and as you know there are many ways to get a free email account online.

If you cannot afford to pay the extra £132 fee for an agent to show people around your house then you have to do it yourself, so beware you stand the risk of showing a criminal around your house.
    • kempsw
    • By kempsw 5th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kempsw
    Loan
    Purplebricks never again! They don't actually tell you that you are apparently in effect borrowing money to use their services through a company called Close Brothers. Seems all highly irregular and underhand. Service we received was absolute rubbish. Not paying.
    • ShivasPlace
    • By ShivasPlace 4th Nov 16, 7:55 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ShivasPlace
    Will save my full review for Trust Pilot after we move… but every person I've spoken to about PB, either in the business, selling or buying hasn't had a good word to say about them…
    • Ragtimeplayer
    • By Ragtimeplayer 5th Nov 16, 11:21 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Ragtimeplayer
    I listed with PB 5 weeks ago and have had a good but not great experience so far. I wasn't overly impressed with the speed of the advert going live and for the first couple of days I found it hard to get hold of the agent.

After that things did start to look up. We decided to pay up front as we did not want to pay the extra £400 they would gain in commission.

Our advert looked professional and she took really good pictures of every room including lots of extra pictures that I thought would entice the buyers in, cannot fault that part of it at all.

She has been on the ball when buyers have made offers and did do some negotiating for us but ultimately that sale fell through.

At the moment we are negotiating another offer we have received but conducting this ourselves as we feel confident we can do this.

I like the process so far and the fact people can book online at a time that suits them.
    Reading the posts though I am a little worried about what will happen once we actually sell the property, as people have pointed out, we have already paid them so what's the incentive? will they push so everything stays on schedule?
    Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!

Cigarettes NOT smoked = 190,945
    Smoke free days = 9 Years
    Cash saved so far = £19745,11
    • hristova1224
    • By hristova1224 14th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hristova1224
    Avoid avoid
    Any good or bad reviews on Purple Brick house selling company?
    Originally posted by smudger1946
    They are very nice and convincing when you pay for their 'services' upfront. As soon as they actually need to start working for your benefit they are useless. I wanted to rent an apartment and the lady who showed me the apartment has had her phone completely switched off ever since I paid the company's agency fee. The referencing company they use is called Legal for Landlords who are as useless as them. The whole deal for the apartment came down after my employer called to confirm the reference and then Legal for Landlords claimed she had never called. Please, please avoid at all cost, no one should ever go through this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,753Posts Today

8,215Users online

Martin's Twitter