Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 15th May 14, 5:26 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MSE and Which leaflet to check your PPI offer
    • 15th May 14, 5:26 PM
    MSE and Which leaflet to check your PPI offer 15th May 14 at 5:26 PM
    In the past few months we've been working with Which? and five banks and a credit card company to produce a leaflet to be included with PPI offer letters.

The aim of the leaflet is to help people check whether the PPI offer they’ve received is fair and what their rights are if they feel it isn't.

We also want people to know if they're not happy with their offer they can still complain to the free financial ombudsman, they don't need a claims handler to help.

Here is a copy of the leaflet (opens as a PDF).

Did you get one? Did you find it useful?

Let us know your thoughts by replying below...
Page 1
    • waynesbar
    • By waynesbar 10th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    waynesbar
    • 10th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 10th May 17, 5:13 PM
    Hi, This needs adding to your leaflet. before you try for reclaiming PPI that were miss sold.
    If the debt has been written off, get the loan provider to write to you to confirm that they are no longer pursuing the outstanding balance, (they have to do this to comply with the FCA handbook CONC).
    Once you haave this letter claim for PPI miss selling.
    When the offer arrives ask for the full amount as paying off a loan that is no longer being pursued would not be in your best interest compared to paying off credit that you may have outstanding.
    Putting the customer first is one of the principles of the FCA.
    I did this and got over £13,500 from RBS even though I had a balance left on a loan they had written off while i was unable to work due to ill health.
    Married with five children, 4 jobs but Debt free, only a mortgage to go.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th May 17, 5:28 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th May 17, 5:28 PM
    • 10th May 17, 5:28 PM
    Hi, This needs adding to your leaflet. before you try for reclaiming PPI that were miss sold.
    If the debt has been written off, get the loan provider to write to you to confirm that they are no longer pursuing the outstanding balance, (they have to do this to comply with the FCA handbook CONC).
    Once you haave this letter claim for PPI miss selling.
    When the offer arrives ask for the full amount as paying off a loan that is no longer being pursued would not be in your best interest compared to paying off credit that you may have outstanding.
    Putting the customer first is one of the principles of the FCA.
    I did this and got over £13,500 from RBS even though I had a balance left on a loan they had written off while i was unable to work due to ill health.
    Originally posted by waynesbar
    Statute barring of debts does not apply to PPI refunds. The FCA allow the capital part of the redress to be set off against debts that have been previously written off as part of an agreed settled or have become statute barred.

Your may have got lucky with yours or the bank complaints team were not aware your debt was not repaid (bank records can be a bit shoddy on old stuff). However, what you describe is not correct.
    • Fife76
    • By Fife76 19th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fife76
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    I don't know it this is right place to post. My 1st time. Help 're a query would be greatly received.
    My husband and I had a joint loan with a bank. He decided to claim mis sold PPI through a claims company. I did mine myself.
    He was offered 2700 (50%) of the premiums paid plus interest etc...
    When I did mine for this joint loan I was offered 1600!!??? I am very perplexed as mine also says 50% of premiums paid as it was a joint loan..there was a difference of 5 weeks between his offer and mine.
    So my question is the difference between our offer a is 1100. Is that a mis calculation or is that because there is 5 weeks difference.
    Any ideas?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 19th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    I don't know it this is right place to post. My 1st time. Help 're a query would be greatly received.
    My husband and I had a joint loan with a bank. He decided to claim mis sold PPI through a claims company. I did mine myself.
    He was offered 2700 (50%) of the premiums paid plus interest etc...
    When I did mine for this joint loan I was offered 1600!!??? I am very perplexed as mine also says 50% of premiums paid as it was a joint loan..there was a difference of 5 weeks between his offer and mine.
    So my question is the difference between our offer a is 1100. Is that a mis calculation or is that because there is 5 weeks difference.
    Any ideas?
    Originally posted by Fife76
    There should be no difference, irrespective of timescale if the benefit was on a 50/50 basis. You see differences where the benefit is not split equally. e.g. if the protection was 70/30 basis then the redress maybe 70/30 basis.

Has the offer come straight to you from the provider or via your ex? (has the ex deducted something he shouldnt - such as the CMC charge)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

2,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin