Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • therivierakid
    • By therivierakid 12th May 14, 8:33 AM
    • 317Posts
    • 66Thanks
    therivierakid
    Amazon Logistics (rant)
    • 12th May 14, 8:33 AM
    Amazon Logistics (rant) 12th May 14 at 8:33 AM

Ordered a couple of items separately from Amazon recently. Had an email on Friday saying that they would be delivered by Amazon Logistics that day. I checked my account mid afternoon and the order status for both items read "Delivered". Only they hadn't been delivered! Not to me anyway. The time of delivery was 13:57, at which time I was in and would have heard any knocking/doorbell. I have checked all around the outside of the house to see if they have been dumped somewhere - no sign. So WTF has happened to my stuff... are we looking at theft or incompetence here???

*removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
Page 18
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Dec 17, 1:30 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    feral did you read my post at all?

Amazon provide no option to pay for a "proper" delivery service except maybe when you pick by 1pm (that might still use special delivery).

Also I already pointed out to you amazon is already expensive for delivery anyway, they over charging for a poor service.

I am trying to explain standards should be raised, whilst you are trying to explain, there is no issue with such poor standards been used by a large company, and that people should just accept it. We will clearly never agree on this. I do always now shop around when I can and avoid using amazon when possible so I do actually act on my words, but sadly is a fair few things I buy that I can only find at amazon so get forced to use them if I want the product.

Even the supermarkets can provide 1-2 hour windows for a £1 fee, tesco have 6 hour windows for their budget delivery price but on the morning of the delivery they reduce it to a 2 hour window. So the assumption that low cost must mean no standards to me is unproven. It just requires a company to have pride in its service and to manage things better.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 02-12-2017 at 1:32 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 2nd Dec 17, 7:36 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    isnt good enough in 2017.

A proper delivery company can do better than a 14 hour window.

I am home, however I dont like to sit there for 14 hours waiting for the delivery. I dont pick a delivery date where I Wont be in.

Of course it gets even worse when they fail, as the 14 hour window becomes a 5 day window the estimate changes to "within next 5 days attempt to deliver".

Amazon logistics have managed to become worse than yodel which takes some doing.

Also self employed drivers can still provide a contact number to the depot, as well as been given instructions on how they expected to fulfill their contract.

But it sounds like there is no organisation or standards and the whole thing is run to have minimal costs, so I expect the parcels are just handed over to the drivers, and the drivers are told to get on with it in their own way, no set routes or anything.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Have Amazon ever marketed themselves as a courier company?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 2nd Dec 17, 7:39 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    feral did you read my post at all?

Amazon provide no option to pay for a "proper" delivery service except maybe when you pick by 1pm (that might still use special delivery).

Also I already pointed out to you amazon is already expensive for delivery anyway, they over charging for a poor service.

I am trying to explain standards should be raised, whilst you are trying to explain, there is no issue with such poor standards been used by a large company, and that people should just accept it. We will clearly never agree on this. I do always now shop around when I can and avoid using amazon when possible so I do actually act on my words, but sadly is a fair few things I buy that I can only find at amazon so get forced to use them if I want the product.

Even the supermarkets can provide 1-2 hour windows for a £1 fee, tesco have 6 hour windows for their budget delivery price but on the morning of the delivery they reduce it to a 2 hour window. So the assumption that low cost must mean no standards to me is unproven. It just requires a company to have pride in its service and to manage things better.
    Are you really comparing supermarket deliveries with courier multi drops?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    yes as I have ordered amazon pantry before as well.

Doesnt matter whats been delivered, it can be organised in set routes, and set routes means estimated times can be provided, in addition a GPS tracker is not exactly difficult to implement.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 2nd Dec 17, 10:28 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy

Doesnt matter whats been delivered, it can be organised in set routes, and set routes means estimated times can be provided, in addition a GPS tracker is not exactly difficult to implement.
    Sorry,Im starting to think you aren't being serious now.
    Do you have a concept on the size of routes a supermarket run is vs a norm multi drop route?
    They are completely different sizes and requirements. So because its a food order from Amazon,its comparable to a supermarkets delivery set up?

FYI,DPD invested millions to create their predictor set up. If a GPS tracker is easy,why spend that money?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 3rd Dec 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    Feral Moon

You really have no clue how couriers work! I already told you these couriers are self employed. They don't have set routes. They can deliver in what order and whenever they like, within the operative window.

Out of the companies I mentioned earlier, only Hermes have implemented an ETA system, and only certain clients have signed up for it. But even then, you only get provided with a 4 hour window.

And as for Amazon being expensive for delivery, as a Prime customer, I haven't paid for delivery for several years now.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Dec 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Both the previous posters are fail, when I reveal to them I have worked for a courier.

So lets take a step back.

Just to clarify.

Are you both stating these 2 things are not possible for a parcel delivery company?

1 - Having set routes for each driver to follow during deliveries
    2 - Having each driver GPS tracked.

Think long and hard about your answer before I reply again, the question as I said do you think courier companies are not capable of doing the above 2 things? Yes I mean companies that deliver parcels for variety of goods, so not just supermarkets.

Also prime customers pay for deliveries via 2 fee's subscription fee, and markup of price on prime goods. If you think otherwise you a bit niave.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    Both the previous posters are fail, when I reveal to them I have worked for a courier.

So lets take a step back.

Just to clarify.

Are you both stating these 2 things are not possible for a parcel delivery company?

1 - Having set routes for each driver to follow during deliveries
    2 - Having each driver GPS tracked.

Think long and hard about your answer before I reply again, the question as I said do you think courier companies are not capable of doing the above 2 things? Yes I mean companies that deliver parcels for variety of goods, so not just supermarkets.

Also prime customers pay for deliveries via 2 fee's subscription fee, and markup of price on prime goods. If you think otherwise you a bit niave.
    GPS tracked for the company/customer or recipient? If its for the recipient,who is paying for the costs? What does the courier location tell the recipient?
    How do you offer set routes for contractors who can deliver at their leisure/timescales? What about collections?
    Last edited by custardy; 03-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 3rd Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Over a few months, I had several of a neighbour's parcels dumped in my garden by Amazon Logistics couriers. Of course I wasn't expecting them, so I didn't know they were there (they fell down amongst bushes etc) until I was next gardening etc.

It took two communications with Amazon to try and stop this happening and in the end I had to put a big sign on the gate saying "Do not deliver parcels for number x here".
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 3rd Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    LadyDee

Depends where you live. I'm on a rambling development of many acres, unmade roads without names, just areas, numbering all over the place, and I have seen these poor delivery people driving round for ages trying to find a particular address. One DPD driver told me he's been half an hour trying to find me!

When I've spotted a delivery driver go past twice looking lost I go outside and try to direct him. I feel really sorry for some of these drivers, they get all sorts of abuse.

Main roads all around for miles with roadworks, temporary traffic lights, traffic piled up. Rotten job I should think which, on the whole, they do remarkably well for little reward.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 3rd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 10,300 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    neilmcl
    What on earth are you on about. There is no "markup" on prime supplied goods, they can be as cheap or otherwise as any other item sold on Amazon. And as far as the subscription goes that easily pays for itself, particularly as most Prime customers use the other services provided by the sub. You really are showing your complete ignorance on this thread.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N
    What on earth are you on about. There is no "markup" on prime supplied goods, they can be as cheap or otherwise as any other item sold on Amazon. And as far as the subscription goes that easily pays for itself, particularly as most Prime customers use the other services provided by the sub. You really are showing your complete ignorance on this thread.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I see exactly what's meant. Amazon Prime items, particularly the smaller ones, are frequently sold at much higher prices than they can be bought for elsewhere - even from the same seller.

eBay's more often than not cheaper than Amazon, and part of the reason for that is Amazon's passing on part of the delivery cost to Prime customers.

Then, of course, there are the infamous add-on items where you have to spend £20 to get a 'free' Prime delivery.

Don't get me wrong - I still consider Prime to be worth having (though it does allow me to share with my children, who live elsewhere) but it isn't quite what Amazon crack it up to be.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    I see exactly what's meant. Amazon Prime items, particularly the smaller ones, are frequently sold at much higher prices than they can be bought for elsewhere - even from the same seller.

eBay's more often than not cheaper than Amazon, and part of the reason for that is Amazon's passing on part of the delivery cost to Prime customers.

Then, of course, there are the infamous add-on items where you have to spend £20 to get a 'free' Prime delivery.

Don't get me wrong - I still consider Prime to be worth having (though it does allow me to share with my children, who live elsewhere) but it isn't quite what Amazon crack it up to be.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Amazon also IME always list if they have the item listed cheaper without prime.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 3rd Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N
    Amazon also IME always list if they have the item listed cheaper without prime.
    Originally posted by custardy
    They do indeed - which rather proves the point that Chrysalis was making.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    They do indeed - which rather proves the point that Chrysalis was making.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    also IME those items are available from other sellers.
    Thats not a Prime premium
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 3rd Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 20,290 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    dacouch

If you watched the expose on TV of Amazon's employment of their drivers.

Their routes are designed by a computer, the computer will reroute them if they fall behind schedule and have priority packages that need delivering that day.

They are also harrassed by their supervisers who have real time access to see what parcels they have left on board and (Computer) estimates of what time (If at all) they will finish their route. When they have parcels that Amazon have marketed as a guaranteed delivery on a certain date eg a console game on it's first day of release. They will receive phone calls from the office to tell them to drop everything else until they have cleared delivery of the super priority items
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    GPS tracked for the company/customer or recipient? If its for the recipient,who is paying for the costs? What does the courier location tell the recipient?
    How do you offer set routes for contractors who can deliver at their leisure/timescales? What about collections?
    Originally posted by custardy
    GPS tracking for either it doesnt matter.

GPS tracking is very cheap and simple, can be as easy as an app on a phone. DPD have it in their guns.

Regarding the contractors, you either tell them to do the set routes within set times or look for other employment, I expect they would soon comply.

Although I would ditch the contractor arrangement and employ them as proper full time workers.

Collections are factored into the routes of course, I dont see how they different, they are added to the route, but its a collection instead of a drop off.

The bulk of cost doing this is likely in staff training and acceptance, and software development.

DPD also employ contractors at busy times like christmas, but they still track drivers and have set routes for their contractors.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 03-12-2017 at 6:39 PM.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    If you watched the expose on TV of Amazon's employment of their drivers.

Their routes are designed by a computer, the computer will reroute them if they fall behind schedule and have priority packages that need delivering that day.

They are also harrassed by their supervisers who have real time access to see what parcels they have left on board and (Computer) estimates of what time (If at all) they will finish their route. When they have parcels that Amazon have marketed as a guaranteed delivery on a certain date eg a console game on it's first day of release. They will receive phone calls from the office to tell them to drop everything else until they have cleared delivery of the super priority items
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Yes its bad management and hence the mess. Very fixable tho with a change of culture applied to the company.

From what you described (and I have no reason to disbelieve you), they do have routes, but they cannot reliably keep them hence the non disclosure to customers of estimated times. So aside from better management it also sounds like they need more drivers so less parcels per driver to deliver.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 03-12-2017 at 6:43 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Dec 17, 6:31 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    GPS tracking for either it doesnt matter.

GPS tracking is very cheap and simple, can be as easy as an app on a phone. DPD have it in their guns.

Regarding the contractors, you either tell them to do the set routes within set times or look for other employment, I expect they would soon comply.

Although I would ditch the contractor arrangement and employ them as proper full time workers.

Collections are factored into the routes of course, I dont see how they different, they are added to the route, but its a collection instead of a drop off.

The bulk of cost doing this is likely in staff training and acceptance, and software development.

DPD also employ contractors at busy times like christmas, but they still track drivers and have set routes for their contractors.

DPDs system isnt just 'gps tracking',all that does is tell you where someone is.
    Have you never organised a collection on the same day as you want it collected?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Dec 17, 6:33 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    Yes its bad management and hence the mess. Very fixable tho with a change of culture applied to the company.

From what you described (and I have no reason to disbelieve you), they do have routes, but they cannot reliably keep them hence the non disclosure to customers of estimated times. So aside from better management it also sounds like they need more drivers so less parcels per driver to deliver.
    So more drivers.less work from the drivers and add more costs to the infrastructure.
    You basically describe the polar opposite of how Amazon have become Amazon......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin