Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • therivierakid
    • By therivierakid 12th May 14, 8:33 AM
    • 317Posts
    • 66Thanks
    therivierakid
    Amazon Logistics (rant)
    • 12th May 14, 8:33 AM
    Amazon Logistics (rant) 12th May 14 at 8:33 AM

Ordered a couple of items separately from Amazon recently. Had an email on Friday saying that they would be delivered by Amazon Logistics that day. I checked my account mid afternoon and the order status for both items read "Delivered". Only they hadn't been delivered! Not to me anyway. The time of delivery was 13:57, at which time I was in and would have heard any knocking/doorbell. I have checked all around the outside of the house to see if they have been dumped somewhere - no sign. So WTF has happened to my stuff... are we looking at theft or incompetence here???

*removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
Page 17
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 17th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    The plan is for the driver to follow Amazon's own instructions (authored by me) when the items were ordered i.e. Do not leave safe or with neighbours. What part of that instruction is awkward? The second part of the plan is for the driver to follow Amazon's instructions to attempt delivery again as shown on their calling card. As I have said, Amazon themselves have reviewed my instructions together with the notice on my door and taken steps against the driver for unprofessionalism.

As for making myself available, since when does 5 hours notice constitute enough time to a. Make myself available when I have already left the house. b. give enough time for the customer to rearrange delivery on a day when I KNOW I will be home. Customers cannot always change plans in the case of short notice, just as customers cannot wait at home from the moment the order is placed to the actual delivery some3-4 days. Had the card been left, I would have been aware of pending delivery and WAS available the next day. The alternative is not to bother ordering from Amazon, which will cut down theoverall workload of drivers.

Your argument rests only on the fact that 1. doesn't matter the customer is not aware of pending delivery until too late. 2. Customers should be available to take delivery all day, every day.
    Originally posted by UnderCanvas

Then I suggest you either become a Prime member and receive next day delivery or purchase yourself a secure parcel box if you know you're not going to be home.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardcastle-Large-Black-Lockable-Parcel/dp/B01N9CGW57/ref=sr_1_1?

Requesting another delivery isn't always feasible, especially at thus time of year. Couriers have enough to deliver without ms,big return journeys plus what do you expect them to do with your oracle in the mean time?

They will have to make an extra journey back to the depot at then of the day to drop it off. Then next day they will gave additional parcel to deliver. Imagine the scenario if 50% of their customers had your selfish attitude? The job would become untenable.
    Last edited by Feral Moon; 17-11-2017 at 5:36 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 17th Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    • 32,772 Posts
    • 27,506 Thanks
    custardy
    The plan is for the driver to follow Amazon's own instructions (authored by me) when the items were ordered i.e. Do not leave safe or with neighbours. What part of that instruction is awkward? The second part of the plan is for the driver to follow Amazon's instructions to attempt delivery again as shown on their calling card. As I have said, Amazon themselves have reviewed my instructions together with the notice on my door and taken steps against the driver for unprofessionalism.

As for making myself available, since when does 5 hours notice constitute enough time to a. Make myself available when I have already left the house. b. give enough time for the customer to rearrange delivery on a day when I KNOW I will be home. Customers cannot always change plans in the case of short notice, just as customers cannot wait at home from the moment the order is placed to the actual delivery some3-4 days. Had the card been left, I would have been aware of pending delivery and WAS available the next day. The alternative is not to bother ordering from Amazon, which will cut down theoverall workload of drivers.

Your argument rests only on the fact that 1. doesn't matter the customer is not aware of pending delivery until too late. 2. Customers should be available to take delivery all day, every day.
    Originally posted by UnderCanvas
    Attempt delivery again. How are you going to be home?
    As I said before,you dont understand cheap delivery models.
    Its a one size fits most.
    I have already outlined your options.
    You can mump and whine but your version simply wont fly.

I let it slide before,however as you have continued
    then I suggest that you may be linked to a similar driver
    Thats right. I'm actually the driver. Ive been trawling the net looking for you.
    I had pre cognition and joined 11 years ago just for this day.......

Edit: Thats my Amazon same day delivery just arrived. Well done Amazon Logistics
    Last edited by custardy; 17-11-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Nov 17, 11:44 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Had a parcel "delivered" 2 weeks ago, by that I mean they put down it was delivered to my front door, but I live in a block of flats and have a side door, a block door, and my personal door.

Of course it was stolen and I found the item at the only second hand store in town, Amazon still haven't spoken to the driver despite promising to get back to me withn 48 hours.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Nov 17, 2:35 AM
    • 16,590 Posts
    • 29,030 Thanks
    Ames
    I once had a parcel left in my wheelie bin. It was empty but the lid was broken and it had been raining, so the parcel was in a nice little pool of water. Luckily it was shrink wrapped so came to no harm.

If I'm not going to be in I use an Amazon locker, conveniently located in a large Co-op store that's open late.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Nov 17, 7:22 AM
    • 6,420 Posts
    • 19,313 Thanks
    Doc N
    Surprising results from the latest Which? member survey on delivery companies - Amazon Logistics came 3rd out of 13, and DPD and Yodel were joint last.

Inevitably there will be the occasional problem with any delivery firm, but I have to say that Amazon Logistics have been very reliable for a long time now after a very shaky start.

I do feel sorry for the drivers, though - it's pretty clear that they're being exploited by Amazon (who will shake their corporate heads in mock surprise and say it's nothing at all to do with them - all to do with outside contractors).
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th Nov 17, 12:53 PM
    • 6,420 Posts
    • 19,313 Thanks
    Doc N
    Just as a follow-up to this, has anybody noticed that the drivers are now trackable online?

"Arriving today by 8PM
    The driver is making 6 deliveries before yours"

No time slot (yet) but the position's shown on a map, along with the number of deliveries to make before yours, so it's an incredibly useful addition to the service.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 32,772 Posts
    • 27,506 Thanks
    custardy
    Just as a follow-up to this, has anybody noticed that the drivers are now trackable online?

"Arriving today by 8PM

No time slot (yet) but the position's shown on a map, along with the number of deliveries to make before yours, so it's an incredibly useful addition to the service.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    not for me. Possibly subing out work to DPD?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 27th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Feral Moon

"Arriving today by 8PM

Both Yodel and DPD have done this for quite some time now. If it was DPD you'd have been given a 1 hour ETA slot first thing this morning.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 27th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    • 6,420 Posts
    • 19,313 Thanks
    Doc N
    not for me. Possibly subing out work to DPD?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Doubt it - it's showing as out with Logistics. Click on tracking to get the map.

Have to say, though, that it looks to have gone wrong already. The van was pretty close, with just those 6 deliveries to make, but now I get this:

Arriving today by 8PM
    The driver is making deliveries but had to be rerouted. You will still receive your package today.

The map shows him disappearing in an entirely different direction, and now I haven't a clue when he'll arrive!

At least it's a start, though, and, Amazon being Amazon, I'm sure it will improve.

Inevitably things aren't good with Prime at the moment - impossible to get any item delivered tomorrow. Obviously swamped with orders for the Black Friday weekend.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 27th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Doubt it - it's showing as out with Logistics. Click on tracking to get the map.

Have to say, though, that it looks to have gone wrong already. The van was pretty close, with just those 6 deliveries to make, but now I get this:

Arriving today by 8PM
    The driver is making deliveries but had to be rerouted. You will still receive your package today.

The map shows him disappearing in an entirely different direction, and now I haven't a clue when he'll arrive!

At least it's a start, though, and, Amazon being Amazon, I'm sure it will improve.

Inevitably things aren't good with Prime at the moment - impossible to get any item delivered tomorrow. Obviously swamped with orders for the Black Friday weekend.
    My Amazon Prime orders placed on Saturday were estimated delivery today but they actually turned up yesterday. I guess they're hedging bets to prevent late arrival complaints.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 6,420 Posts
    • 19,313 Thanks
    Doc N
    Remember when DPD were absolutely reliable?

I have some practical experience of the reason, maybe, that Which? ranked them joint last with Yodel recently.

Delivery by DPD should have happened on Monday.
    Then there was a timed delivery slot for Tuesday.
    Then they said they hadn't received it from the seller.
    Now, finally, after a lot of wasted time all round, they're delivering.

The seller handed it to them, as planned, on Friday, but instead of admitting that they'd fouled up they blamed the seller for not giving it to them.

Frankly these days I'd rather stick with Amazon Logistics.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 4:24 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Well for starters. The delivery is when they are at your door.
    Not come to your door,leave a card and come back at some booked appointment.
    you are being awkward and unreasonable.
    Sort out a safeplace. you get advice the delivery is coming through your Amazon account.
    Originally posted by custardy
    The issue is the advice says between 8am and 10pm, which is stupid way too wide a window.

Also if the depot was contactable, then perhaps the poster could have rang them and prevented them even trying delivery to say please deliver tomorrow instead, but as it is the only way to communicate is a note on the door which is a trick I have also used in the past with weird companies like amazon logistics who cannot be contacted.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 4:27 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Remember when DPD were absolutely reliable?

I have some practical experience of the reason, maybe, that Which? ranked them joint last with Yodel recently.

Delivery by DPD should have happened on Monday.
    Then there was a timed delivery slot for Tuesday.
    Then they said they hadn't received it from the seller.
    Now, finally, after a lot of wasted time all round, they're delivering.

The seller handed it to them, as planned, on Friday, but instead of admitting that they'd fouled up they blamed the seller for not giving it to them.

Frankly these days I'd rather stick with Amazon Logistics.
    DPD are not perfect I agree, but they still light years ahead of amazon logistics.

DPD - hourly estimate of delivery.
    DPD - if sender pays for it, recipient can pick hour of delivery.
    DPD - phone number to contact them incase of problems.

Amazon logistics - get a 14 hour delivery window and no way to contact depot, can ring main amazon helpline, but they have trouble contacting depot themselves.

I have never had a failed delivery from DPD, I had a close call, but because I could ring the depot, the driver came back and delivered.
    I have had 7 failed deliveries this year from amazon logistics since february, it has given me nearly 2 years worth of free amazon prime as compensation.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 1st Dec 17, 7:42 AM
    • 32,772 Posts
    • 27,506 Thanks
    custardy
    The issue is the advice says between 8am and 10pm, which is stupid way too wide a window.

Also if the depot was contactable, then perhaps the poster could have rang them and prevented them even trying delivery to say please deliver tomorrow instead, but as it is the only way to communicate is a note on the door which is a trick I have also used in the past with weird companies like amazon logistics who cannot be contacted.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Thats not the issue. The OP knew all these factors on ordering.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 1st Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Feral Moon

They cannot be contacted because the couriers are self-employed. Once they've collected that day's parcels, the depot has no further involvement. if you know you're unlikely to be home then give instructions to Amazon a safe place or neighbour to deliver to.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 1st Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    DPD are not perfect I agree, but they still light years ahead of amazon logistics.

DPD - hourly estimate of delivery.
    DPD - if sender pays for it, recipient can pick hour of delivery.
    DPD - phone number to contact them incase of problems.

Amazon logistics - get a 14 hour delivery window and no way to contact depot, can ring main amazon helpline, but they have trouble contacting depot themselves.

I have never had a failed delivery from DPD, I had a close call, but because I could ring the depot, the driver came back and delivered.
    I have had 7 failed deliveries this year from amazon logistics since february, it has given me nearly 2 years worth of free amazon prime as compensation.
    DPD couriers are employed. Amazon couriers are not. Neither are Hermes or Yodel couriers.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    They cannot be contacted because the couriers are self-employed. Once they've collected that day's parcels, the depot has no further involvement. if you know you're unlikely to be home then give instructions to Amazon a safe place or neighbour to deliver to.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    isnt good enough in 2017.

A proper delivery company can do better than a 14 hour window.

I am home, however I dont like to sit there for 14 hours waiting for the delivery. I dont pick a delivery date where I Wont be in.

Of course it gets even worse when they fail, as the 14 hour window becomes a 5 day window the estimate changes to "within next 5 days attempt to deliver".

Amazon logistics have managed to become worse than yodel which takes some doing.

Also self employed drivers can still provide a contact number to the depot, as well as been given instructions on how they expected to fulfill their contract.

But it sounds like there is no organisation or standards and the whole thing is run to have minimal costs, so I expect the parcels are just handed over to the drivers, and the drivers are told to get on with it in their own way, no set routes or anything.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    DPD couriers are employed. Amazon couriers are not. Neither are Hermes or Yodel couriers.
    Does this make it ok?

As a customer who expects certain standards your statement holds no relevance.

Amazon delivery isnt exactly cheap, so its not like I am paying pennies for it either. Before you say amazon prime is free it isnt, on top of the subscription fee, the vast majority of prime products have a price premium which in affect is a delivery surcharge masked as a product charge. Years ago I loved amazon, and thought they were the pinnacle, but things have gone downwards so much in quality of service.

I get the impression you have come to accept this as some kind of standard, which to me makes me concerned that people like yourself find a bad service acceptable.

So company A can offer DPD next day for £7.99 whilst amazon offers next day via amazon logistics for same price. (on top of amazon prime product tax).

Amazon logistics runs the way it is because amazon want it that way, they have complete control how their products are delivered.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 1st Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 10,146 Thanks
    KxMx

Sometimes couriers on the ground will ignore those instructions anyway...
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 1st Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 4,036 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    isnt good enough in 2017.

A proper delivery company can do better than a 14 hour window.

I am home, however I dont like to sit there for 14 hours waiting for the delivery. I dont pick a delivery date where I Wont be in.

Of course it gets even worse when they fail, as the 14 hour window becomes a 5 day window the estimate changes to "within next 5 days attempt to deliver".

Amazon logistics have managed to become worse than yodel which takes some doing.

Also self employed drivers can still provide a contact number to the depot, as well as been given instructions on how they expected to fulfill their contract.

But it sounds like there is no organisation or standards and the whole thing is run to have minimal costs, so I expect the parcels are just handed over to the drivers, and the drivers are told to get on with it in their own way, no set routes or anything.
    Welcome to gig economy logistics! If you want a proper delivery service then pay for it. If you want free delivery then this is what you get. As for couriers leaving a number st the "depot" - as soon as the last courier has collected his manifest, it will most likely be closed. Some "depots" are nothing more than lock-ups and the majority of sub-depot managers will have their own rounds to take out too.

Volumes are 3-4 times higher than usual from now until the end of January so people need to be patient. There's no need to sit in waiting 14 hours. If you go out then leave a note on the door with instructions or neighbour to leave with. It would be far easier to give these details when you place your order.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter