Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • therivierakid
    • By therivierakid 12th May 14, 8:33 AM
    • 317Posts
    • 66Thanks
    therivierakid
    Amazon Logistics (rant)
    • 12th May 14, 8:33 AM
    Amazon Logistics (rant) 12th May 14 at 8:33 AM

Ordered a couple of items separately from Amazon recently. Had an email on Friday saying that they would be delivered by Amazon Logistics that day. I checked my account mid afternoon and the order status for both items read "Delivered". Only they hadn't been delivered! Not to me anyway. The time of delivery was 13:57, at which time I was in and would have heard any knocking/doorbell. I have checked all around the outside of the house to see if they have been dumped somewhere - no sign. So WTF has happened to my stuff... are we looking at theft or incompetence here???

*removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
Page 16
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 15th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    There is a depot "somewhere" where do you think the van drivers get the parcels from? I know my depot is in Nottingham (different city) but other than that no more specifics.

Also an item arriving a couple of hours late is far better than not arriving at all, and you can contact DPD for status updates.

From what I read, amazon logistics is a rebranded company that amazon took over who you were about to go bust before amazon bailed them out, that company uses self employed drivers which is why they unmarked.

A DPD delivery cost is not much different from amazon logistics either. Remember the price premium on amazon prime products.

https://logistics.amazon.co.uk/

Seems a mixture of self employed drivers and probably small delivery firms, I have never ever seen a firm branded van tho.

Drivers load the parcels at a regional location.
    ^
    |
    |
    depot
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 15-09-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 32,688 Posts
    • 27,407 Thanks
    custardy
    There is a depot "somewhere" where do you think the van drivers get the parcels from? I know my depot is in Nottingham (different city) but other than that no more specifics.

Also an item arriving a couple of hours late is far better than not arriving at all, and you can contact DPD for status updates.

From what I read, amazon logistics is a rebranded company that amazon took over who you were about to go bust before amazon bailed them out, that company uses self employed drivers which is why they unmarked.

A DPD delivery cost is not much different from amazon logistics either. Remember the price premium on amazon prime products.

https://logistics.amazon.co.uk/

Seems a mixture of self employed drivers and probably small delivery firms, I have never ever seen a firm branded van tho.

^
    |
    |
    depot
    Originally posted by Chrysalis

Well we shall argue semantics. The depot you require is somewhere with a customer facing element.
    Of course the vans are loaded at a hub point.
    Last edited by custardy; 18-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 19,282 Thanks
    Doc N
    No problems at all these days with them. Until today, when they stupidly left a package inside a dustbin with a card instead of the designated safe place.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 18th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    The depots where couriers collect parcels from is not available to customers. And most couriers are self employed so can deliver your parcel any time they see fit within the regulated hours.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 22nd Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I do wonder where they are based locally.

Ordered some stuff and it arrived in less than 2 hours. Some bits from Morrisons which is 20 + minutes away without traffic.

But other items were odball tools that normal shops would not stock, yet they arrived within 2 hours also.

Ordred a book for a £ or so and it arrived the same day. Well i ordered it around midnight and it arrived around lunchtime.

I must be in a good catchment area for Amazon.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 23rd Sep 17, 7:27 AM
    • 32,688 Posts
    • 27,407 Thanks
    custardy

Ordered some stuff and it arrived in less than 2 hours. Some bits from Morrisons which is 20 + minutes away without traffic.

But other items were odball tools that normal shops would not stock, yet they arrived within 2 hours also.

Ordred a book for a £ or so and it arrived the same day. Well i ordered it around midnight and it arrived around lunchtime.

Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Its not where they are based. its what stock is held in your local Amazon warehouse.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 23rd Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970

If you use Prime Now, it tracks the delivery on a map in (near) real time so shows where the warehouse is. My local one is about 4 miles away on a local industrial estate.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 26th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If you use Prime Now, it tracks the delivery on a map in (near) real time so shows where the warehouse is. My local one is about 4 miles away on a local industrial estate.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Yeah it was PrimeNow. The map did show a local shopping centre, but the items came from Morrisons which is not in that location. 15-20 minutes or so away?

Who stocks a set if milling cutters for a milling machine, or a spool od 3D printing filament?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 26th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 18,712 Posts
    • 9,969 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Who stocks a set if milling cutters for a milling machine, or a spool od 3D printing filament?
    Amazon clearly "stock" those items if they are offering them for delivery within two hours!

Are you surmising that Amazon have some kind of arrangement with local supermarkets/traders to supply such items?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 27th Sep 17, 2:06 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Yeah it was PrimeNow. The map did show a local shopping centre, but the items came from Morrisons which is not in that location. 15-20 minutes or so away?

Amazon don't deliver for supermarkets. What makes you think your goods came from Morrisons?
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 27th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 9,500 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Amazon has a partnership with Morrisons....Morrisons are the supplier for Amazon Pantry.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 27th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Amazon has a partnership with Morrisons....Morrisons are the supplier for Amazon Pantry.
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Oh, ok, I didn't realise this. I've only ordered the Pantry once which arrived next day but there isn't a Morrisons within a 50 mile radius here.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 27th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 18,712 Posts
    • 9,969 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Fair enough, but the non-food items mentioned would not be sourced (or stocked) by that supermarket.
    • UnderCanvas
    • By UnderCanvas 16th Nov 17, 9:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UnderCanvas
    Well it seems Amazon Logistic woes are not a thing of the past.

Today, Amazon Logistics driver ignored large notice on my front door 'Do not deliver to neighbours. Please advise of pending delivery by leaving a card'. So what does the driver do? Instead of attempting delivery the next day, Amazon driver delivers my parcel to a neighbour who is under a police warning not to have contact with me, then proceeds to leave me a card to advise parcel with neighbour. Sometimes, when people think the customer is being awkard they really do not consider the possibility that customer may have very valid reason.
    Last edited by UnderCanvas; 16-11-2017 at 9:17 PM. Reason: addition
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 16th Nov 17, 9:51 PM
    • 20,264 Posts
    • 12,510 Thanks
    dacouch
    Well it seems Amazon Logistic woes are not a thing of the past.

Today, Amazon Logistics driver ignored large notice on my front door 'Do not deliver to neighbours. Please advise of pending delivery by leaving a card'. So what does the driver do? Instead of attempting delivery the next day, Amazon driver delivers my parcel to a neighbour who is under a police warning not to have contact with me, then proceeds to leave me a card to advise parcel with neighbour. Sometimes, when people think the customer is being awkard they really do not consider the possibility that customer may have very valid reason.
    Originally posted by UnderCanvas
    Do you realise that the vast majority of their drivers are Eastern European. If your driver was such he could have miss read your sign to say that you wanted the parcel delivered to a neighboor and for a card to be left.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 17th Nov 17, 5:34 AM
    • 32,688 Posts
    • 27,407 Thanks
    custardy
    Well for starters. The delivery is when they are at your door.
    Not come to your door,leave a card and come back at some booked appointment.
    you are being awkward and unreasonable.
    Sort out a safeplace. you get advice the delivery is coming through your Amazon account.
    • UnderCanvas
    • By UnderCanvas 17th Nov 17, 12:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UnderCanvas
    It is not awkward or unreasonable to ask a driver not to deliver to neighbours. Drivers have to have a level of English reading/speaking in order to deciper address details and AMAZON INSTRUCTIONS.

Plus, if you think you have the right to call me 'awkward' then I suggest that you may be linked to a similar driver as your attitude goes way beyond that of a general customer. I can tell you Amazon are certainly NOT in agreement with your view. This morning I have received an email from Customer Support apologising for their driver's behaviour and are taking steps to ensure there is not a repeat of the incident. Considering it would have taken up more of the drivers time to knock on my door, drive round to my neighbours, leave my package with them, drive back to my address and leave a card. What would have resulted in less time for the driver, is to attempt delivery next day along with his/her usual round.

Also, no safe place when your door faces a busy open road. Not only can parcels bee seen, but not dry place either. Do you want me to build a purpose built enclosed porch just so drivers can leave parcels??? Amazon Driver WAS given delivery instructions that he chose to ignore. Amazon did notify me parcel out for delivery at 09:30am, 5 hours before actual delivery..
    Last edited by UnderCanvas; 17-11-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: addition
    • custardy
    • By custardy 17th Nov 17, 12:45 PM
    • 32,688 Posts
    • 27,407 Thanks
    custardy
    It is not awkward or unreasonable to ask a driver not to deliver to neighbours. Drivers have to have a level of English reading/speaking in order to deciper address details and AMAZON INSTRUCTIONS.

Plus, if you think you have the right to call me 'awkward' then I suggest that you may be linked to a similar driver as your attitude goes way beyond that of a general customer. I can tell you Amazon are certainly NOT in agreement with your view. This morning I have received an email from Customer Support apologising for their driver's behaviour and are taking steps to ensure there is not a repeat of the incident. Considering it would have taken up more of the drivers time to knock on my door, drive round to my neighbours, leave my package with them, drive back to my address and leave a card. What would have resulted in less time for the driver, is to attempt delivery next day along with his/her usual round.

Also, no safe place when your door faces a busy open road. Not only can parcels bee seen, but not dry place either. Do you want me to build a purpose built enclosed porch just so drivers can leave parcels??? Amazon Driver WAS given delivery instructions that he chose to ignore. Amazon did notify me parcel out for delivery at 09:30am, 5 hours before actual delivery..
    Do I want you to offer a reasonable delivery point?
    Parcel safes exist for just such a reason.

so in short,you don't want it left with neighbours. Of course your choice.
    You have no safe place. Who can change that?
    You cant/wont make yourself available on the day of delivery.

you didnt give delivery instructions. You left a note to have another delivery and some random time.
    you dont understand cheap delivery services business model.
    get rid of the package first delivery,pure and simple.
    So when the driver arrives at your door and nobody is home,whats the plan?
    • UnderCanvas
    • By UnderCanvas 17th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UnderCanvas
    The plan is for the driver to follow Amazon's own instructions (authored by me) when the items were ordered i.e. Do not leave safe or with neighbours. What part of that instruction is awkward? The second part of the plan is for the driver to follow Amazon's instructions to attempt delivery again as shown on their calling card. As I have said, Amazon themselves have reviewed my instructions together with the notice on my door and taken steps against the driver for unprofessionalism.

As for making myself available, since when does 5 hours notice constitute enough time to a. Make myself available when I have already left the house. b. give enough time for the customer to rearrange delivery on a day when I KNOW I will be home. Customers cannot always change plans in the case of short notice, just as customers cannot wait at home from the moment the order is placed to the actual delivery some3-4 days. Had the card been left, I would have been aware of pending delivery and WAS available the next day. The alternative is not to bother ordering from Amazon, which will cut down theoverall workload of drivers.

Your argument rests only on the fact that 1. doesn't matter the customer is not aware of pending delivery until too late. 2. Customers should be available to take delivery all day, every day.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 19,282 Thanks
    Doc N

Your argument rests only on the fact that 1. doesn't matter the customer is not aware of pending delivery until too late. 2. Customers should be available to take delivery all day, every day.
    Unfortunately, since Amazon stopped using higher cost carriers such as DPD to keep their costs down, that's just the way it is - though most people are quite happy to provide an alternative delivery route.

It's pretty comprehensive: a named neighbour, a variety of safe places or a local shop.

It doesn't suit everyone, and it was certainly better with DPD and Royal Mail, but the only alternative really is to shop elsewhere - often, but not always, at considerably greater cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

1,738Users online

Martin's Twitter