Main site > Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > claim back purchase tax from Canada (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
claim back purchase tax from Canada
Closed Thread
Views: 18,635
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Old 22-09-2004, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Default claim back purchase tax from Canada

Please could anyone advise me on how to claim back the tax from purchases I made during my hols. in Antario Canada, and hotels and car hire bills, some one told me that my travel agents could help, but they did not know. eg the car hire was $982.92 of which
P.A.P $77.87
GST $59.83
PST $68.38
I would be good to get some tax back for a change
regards pav
pav is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 23-09-2004, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1
Default Re: claim back purchase tax from Canada

I'm just back from Vancouver. You can only reclaim tax back for accomodation and purchases of gifts etc - which a combined total cost of $200 or more. Each individual receipt must show a minimun value of $50. Unfortunately you cannot reclaim tax for entertainment or travel costs.

The most important thing is that you have to get all receipts stamped by the immigration dept at the airport prior to your departure. They will provide you with a form and envelope at the airport - however if you complete the form at the airport then you can save the price of a stamp by posting it in a box at the airport departure lounge.

As a side issue I would recomend Vancouver for a holiday.
hatchd is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 24-09-2004, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Default Re: claim back purchase tax from Canada

thanks for response, if what you say is correct, its too late as I have been home for 4 day, and I did not have them stamped at the airport by immigration, never mind it was a great holiday, ill know next time.
pav is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 24-09-2004, 8:58 PM
Posts: n/a
Default Re: claim back purchase tax from Canada

You ONLY need to get the receipts stamped by the immigration department prior to departure for goods you are taking out of Canada. If you are putting in a claim for the tax on accomodation, you just need the original receipts.

Have a look at for full information.

If you choose to use this option for the tax refund, the Canadian tax authority will send you a cheque for the refund in Canadian Dollars. Obviously your bank will charge you to pay this in. There are some agencies that will process your claim for you and credit the amount of the refund to a credit card, bit they charge a handling fee.

Report Post
# 5
Old 06-01-2009, 4:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Default Claiming back taxes

Hello Martin,

I am currently visiting Toronto, and have incurred hugh taxes on hotels, sight seeing, shopping and dinners.
Hotels bills have ranged between Can 150 and Can 1500 including taxes
Tourist bills for CN tower and ROM have also exceeded Can 50
Dinners have been Can 100 per night
Shopping varies, but each bill was greater than Can 50 in total (although items may have been less)

Will I be able to claim back when I leave Canada

SurenP is offline
Report Post
# 6
Old 19-01-2009, 12:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Default Gst

I am booking a package dog sledding trip to Canada direct. Will I be able to claim the GST back for the trip if I get the receipt stamped at the airport. I have to pay a $500 pp deposit before I go and the balance a month before I go. This does not include the airfare.
Can any one help
Penguin1 is offline
Report Post
# 7
Old 22-08-2011, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Default Visitor Tax Rebate Program Abolished Aug 1 2007

Dear all,

if you're like me you remember getting a refund of some of the tax back on purchases made in Canada.

Unfortunately this was abolished (see link) in 2007
(well I was going to post the link, but I'm not allowed to, as a new user, to prevent spamming;0(

But if you go to the website and look for notice221-e.pdf, you'll find it.

It was confusing as hell to find this documentation for clarification that this scheme no longer runs.

However, you are allowed to claim tax back, as individuals (i.e. visitors), from package holidays, but you need to make sure they meet the 'definition', which is complicated to understand for Joe Bloggs. You can find this info on the above website.

Sadly it's no tax refund for me on my last trip to Canada and I have a useless pocket full of receipts to prove it.

HTH somebody
LBer454 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 25 February 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed