Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 7th Jul 07, 6:37 PM
    • 1,805Posts
    • 1,920Thanks
    quietheart
    How much does external rendering cost?
    • 7th Jul 07, 6:37 PM
    How much does external rendering cost? 7th Jul 07 at 6:37 PM
    We've moved into a house with a single story extension which is about 20ft wide by 10 ft. About 7ft of it is a double patio door. The extension is only a couple of years old but the rendering is coming away and crumbling at the corners and the back door. Do you think we need the edges doing or the whole thing replacing. This blinking house is costing us a fortune. How important is this, do we need to get this done urgently or can it wait? Any idea of cost?
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks for looking.
    Last edited by quietheart; 07-07-2007 at 6:57 PM.
Page 1
  • nelly
    • 7th Jul 07, 7:26 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 7:26 PM
    Anywhere between 600 and 1000 depending on many things.
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 7th Jul 07, 7:47 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    • 7th Jul 07, 7:47 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 7:47 PM
    Thanks Nelly.
    Would that be to re-render or repair? Not quite as terrifying as I had thought so cheers.
  • nelly
    • 7th Jul 07, 8:04 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 8:04 PM
    re render

That doesnt really include taking the old stuff off though
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 7th Jul 07, 8:45 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    • 7th Jul 07, 8:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 8:45 PM
    and is that labour intensive? what kind of figure are you thinking?
    cheers for this
  • nelly
    • 7th Jul 07, 8:51 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 8:51 PM
    If you can take a couple of pics of it and post them I can give you a fairly accurate quote and get a few other lads to pitch in too from another forum
    what part of the country you live anyway?

that can make a difference
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 7th Jul 07, 9:16 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    • 7th Jul 07, 9:16 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 9:16 PM
    That'd be great!
    Never done this before so bear with me.....
    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/withnail1969/
    Let me know if it works and we're in South Birmingham.
    • safesound
    • By safesound 7th Jul 07, 9:23 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    safesound
    • 7th Jul 07, 9:23 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 9:23 PM
    Not to hijack the thread or anything but I am also looking for someone to render the back of my house and am worried as a female I may get ripped off. Does anyone know the going rate per meter squared? here's a picture in case it helps

Gorgeous boy born 11 April 2012

• quietheart
    • By quietheart 7th Jul 07, 9:35 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    • 7th Jul 07, 9:35 PM
    • 7th Jul 07, 9:35 PM
    safesound, me too, pathetic female alert and all that......
    how do you post photos straight into the thread?
    good luck
  • nelly
    on your photo bucket under each pic there are 3 lines of text the botom one says IMG code just copy that then paste it here

Thats a bit big though^ you can make photobucket resize them first though.

Anyway.......

The good news is this doesnt look like a major problem.

The gooder news is you can do it your self.

The gooder-er news is it doesnt matter how dodgy you are at plastering cos your walls have a textured finish anyway.

Go to wickes or Been and Queued and get a small bag of premixed sand and cement and mix half of it fairly stiff.

Scrape off and flaky bits then just tart it up with a trowel or even a table knife. By time you paint it you'll hardly tell the difference honestly

and it'd cost about 5 quid too
  • nelly
    Not to hijack the thread or anything but I am also looking for someone to render the back of my house and am worried as a female I may get ripped off. Does anyone know the going rate per meter squared? here's a picture in case it helps

Originally posted by safesound
    800 ish depends on a few things but it looks reasonably straight forward
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 8th Jul 07, 8:59 AM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    Nelly you are a star, i thought it'd all need replacing. Thanks for the reassurance.
  • macka0
    wouldnt use them premixed bags myself because they are mixed with red sand which does tend to crack when used as render......use wash sand and also uni bond the wall after you`ve brushed the flakey bits away
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 8th Jul 07, 10:00 AM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    wash sand? will wickes know what i mean? would it be wrong to use to something lazy like this?
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/953439
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/186728
    thanks again!
  • macka0
    Just a couple of quid dearer and also you wont get as much but if you only need one of its not that bad
    • home_alone
    • By home_alone 8th Jul 07, 4:34 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    home_alone
    We've moved into a house with a single story extension which is about 20ft wide by 10 ft. About 7ft of it is a double patio door. The extension is only a couple of years old but the rendering is coming away and crumbling at the corners and the back door. Do you think we need the edges doing or the whole thing replacing. This blinking house is costing us a fortune. How important is this, do we need to get this done urgently or can it wait? Any idea of cost?
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks for looking.
    Originally posted by rovers
    You will need to go around the house gently tapping on the walls you are listening for hollow sounds which would mean the render is coming away from the wall, if that does not happen you are in luck and its just tarting up the bad areas, if its roughcast or pebble dashed (not quite clear in your pics) then its slightly different but still easy to correct. Best method is mix up a very wet mix using a brush stipple (almost like stenciling) the areas let dry then finish with whatever type finish you have (the stipple is a key if it fell off once it might do it again).

gary
    Last edited by home_alone; 08-07-2007 at 4:41 PM.
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 8th Jul 07, 7:46 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    quietheart
    You will need to go around the house gently tapping on the walls you are listening for hollow sounds which would mean the render is coming away from the wall, if that does not happen you are in luck and its just tarting up the bad areas, if its roughcast or pebble dashed (not quite clear in your pics) then its slightly different but still easy to correct. Best method is mix up a very wet mix using a brush stipple (almost like stenciling) the areas let dry then finish with whatever type finish you have (the stipple is a key if it fell off once it might do it again).

gary
    Originally posted by home_alone
    It is pebbley, can i get these from Wickes type places as well? What proportion do i put in? Complicated business for us newbies!
  • cargo
    "Safesound" Your house looks nice as is?
    • home_alone
    • By home_alone 9th Jul 07, 9:53 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    home_alone
    It is pebbley, can i get these from Wickes type places as well? What proportion do i put in? Complicated business for us newbies!
    Originally posted by rovers
    Yes any builders merchant will have them just mix a very wet slurry and using a small shovel throw it at the area its a bit messy so blank off anywhere you do not want it to go.

gary
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 9th Jul 07, 10:59 AM
    • 12,602 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I used that polyfilla on our house for a bit of pointing, repairing and its fine. We only painted the rendering after it dried with ICI weathershield. The polyfilla weatherproof is good for patching up broken corners on brick prior to painting. We just used a pointing trowel and a little trowel for small bits, it dries very quickly too, about an house and its almost set rock hard

The sand and cement mix (Hanson) is normally red sand we have used that too for repairing a outside perimeter wall
    Last edited by Poppycat; 09-07-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

589Posts Today

4,572Users online

Martin's Twitter