Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    • 10,747Posts
    • 56,189Thanks
    edinburgher
    Only freedom will do
    • 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    Only freedom will do 2nd May 14 at 3:58 PM
    It has come to my attention that I have been here for a very long time

I joined these forums in a dim and distant past, where money was my enemy and the weight of my student debts left me crushed and panicked, unable to picture a future where I would be able to get a debit card (never mind a mortgage).

5 years later and the milestones of marriage, first home and first car have come and gone. Throughout it all, I have had a creeping feeling that something wasnít quite right. I donít get the world of work, and while Iíve never been unemployed in my adult life, Iíve tried too hard to try my hand at too many things and Iím left feeling like Iím an actor who recognises the play, but does not understand his motivation.

As some of you will know, I have experienced some real heartache of late. Your messages of support and hope have been so touching and in many cases, I have got more comfort from anonymous individuals who took the time to get in touch than people I know in the Ďrealí world.

While money would have done nothing to prevent it, the luxury of savings and our hard work over the years meant that we were in a position to make the right decisions and take our time with our next steps. Returning to work has been a real blow and without sounding even more melodramatic, I donít think Iíd realised just how damaging I find the merry-go-round of rote work, office politics and bureaucracy.

It wonít do, I canít believe that this is as good as it gets and to quote one of my favourite singers ĎWe can always build a world better than thisí.

From this point on, I plan to dedicate myself to achieving financial independence. Not MFW, but freedom from all the nonsense that we go through to just to pay for a pile of bricks and a few years of leisure at the end of our span.

Hopefully you can join me for the journey
Page 281
    • LadyGnome
    • By LadyGnome 20th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    LadyGnome
    I have a colleague who I feel sad for. She took a fortnight last year for the first time in 20 years. Not because she was hacking her holidays like GG, but because she is one of these poor souls who fears that the building will collapse if she leaves (hint, it doesn't)
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    That is sad but not unusual. I work in financial services and we the regulator has pushed for people to be out of the office for a 2 week block every year as a fraud prevention measure. I think it is good for people's mental health.

Good news about the swimming lessons. A decent boss makes life so much easier.
    Mortgage
    Start Nov 2012 £310,000
    June 2017 £248,590.81 Reduction £61,409.19
    MFW 2017 #42 £2386.30/£3100
    End Oct Sept 2034 but I have a cunning plan...
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 20th Apr 17, 9:46 AM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I have a colleague who I feel sad for. She took a fortnight last year for the first time in 20 years. Not because she was hacking her holidays like GG, but because she is one of these poor souls who fears that the building will collapse if she leaves (hint, it doesn't)
    As an ex-auditor Ed, it can also be a sign that someone doesn't want others doing their job in their absence and finding the skeletons in the closet (such as false employees on payroll - I encountered it once ). Not that I'm suggesting your colleague has been up to any funny business .

It is the gift of planning that office workers give themselves
    What else are you supposed to do while at work if not plan holidays . Sounds like boss is a keeper Ed , makes such a difference. I remember turning down one of my team's requests for a days leave once. He phoned up in a strop only for me to tell him to take it off as a lieu day .

Mrs. K. does something similar, GG. Not the spreadsheet but she's managed to have 10 days away from work (including weekends) for 4 days leave this Easter.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Only 10 days? pah, beginner stuff . Seriously, it's the only way to get through the year .
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 20th Apr 17, 10:09 AM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 9,575 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Mrs E pointed out that we have 2 bank holidays in May

I have booked a cheap family night away in a nice hotel in the Borders for the Sunday night. Country scenery, a Sunday lunch and a pool for DD to enjoy, a bargain for £55 or so.
    Some of us do, some don't, they took one May holiday (and the fair holiday) off us and added to a/l days - means we work 2 public holidays for nothing - basically Enjoy your break.

Mrs. K. does something similar, GG. Not the spreadsheet but she's managed to have 10 days away from work (including weekends) for 4 days leave this Easter.
    Originally posted by AlexLK

Me too, then in for 1 week and off again for another 9 days for 4 a/l.

Only 10 days? pah, beginner stuff . Seriously, it's the only way to get through the year.
    Originally posted by gallygirl

Oh, and I must be one of those sad people, cause last week in March (10 days off - 6 days a/l) I was in Spain, this weeks leave (4 days) is left over from last year, and again the following May holiday taken another 2 days a/l + 2 from this years a/l. Why, cause we don't always get the a/l we ask for - short staffed, too many off, work public holidays (means +1 more days a/l ) etc, etc.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69,2016/£3186.80
    2017 £2422.71 + Phantom o/ps 2017 -£1367.81 so far
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 20th Apr 17, 10:27 AM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Oh, and I must be one of those sad people, cause last week in March (10 days off - 6 days a/l) I was in Spain, this weeks leave (4 days) is left over from last year, and again the following May holiday taken another 2 days a/l + 2 from this years a/l. Why, cause we don't always get the a/l we ask for - short staffed, too many off, work public holidays (means +1 more days a/l ) etc, etc.
    Originally posted by A Frayed Knot
    Sorry AFK, not casting nasturtiums your way . Very different when you can't get time off, what a nightmare .
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 20th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 9,575 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Sorry AFK, not casting nasturtiums your way . Very different when you can't get time off, what a nightmare .
    Save
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Just pointing out - not all of us are so lucky. As for not taking any a/l incase the building falls down - I work in a place open 24/7 365 days a year - 366 in a leap year. Oh and don't get me started on the leap year - why do we not get paid an extra day's pay
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 20th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    My office is borderline Civil Servicey. Trust me, nobody has an excuse for missing holidays unless they're in an Executive, £100k+ sort of role.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 20th Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 30,238 Thanks
    AlexLK
    When I used to work full time in my old job there never seemed enough time to manipulate annual leave to my advantage despite working ridiculous hours. I realise now that it was my attitude to the job and perhaps not the job itself that was the real problem.

Mrs. K. has always had a healthy attitude to her work. She enjoys being there but also enjoys time away.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    So, I have abandoned L1dl in favour of Ald1! Might not sound like much, but I've shopped there predominantly for 5+ years. Prefer Ald1's focus on Scottish produce, smaller but neater store and lack of attitude!
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 21st Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 9,575 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    So, I have abandoned L1dl in favour of Ald1! Might not sound like much, but I've shopped there predominantly for 5+ years. Prefer Ald1's focus on Scottish produce, smaller but neater store and lack of attitude!

I done the same around 2 years ago, but still go the L1dl's for certain items, mainly their Liquorice Allsorts and Strawberry Jam, nobody else's come close.
    Last edited by A Frayed Knot; 22-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I done the same around 2 years ago, but still go the L1dl's for certain items, mainly their Liquorice Allsorts and Stawberry Jam, nobody else's come close.
    Originally posted by A Frayed Knot
    I'll still go there for whoopsies and Greek week
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Carpet has been fitted in our 3rd bedroom, meaning that all we need to do in 2017 (indoors) is fit some flooring in the small downstairs hall and redecorate our room fully. The door is now wedged open, as is the style

To be honest, we can't really afford to PAYG our bedroom this year, so may use a CC to pay for carpet and wardrobe. I can't face plastering/decorating/carpet/joinery as individual projects, so will probably just do it all late summer. Getting there.

On the positive side, Mrs E is hoping to go back up to 4 days in a couple of months. Even with an extra day at nursery for DD, that will add £300/month or so to our gross pay. I'm hoping for a tiny increment in the next few months as well.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 21st Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 43,316 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I've all but done that, but the reverse - our MrL is streets ahead of our MrAl. I do buy MrAl's nappies, as they've been consistently good, and I'm happy to recommend them. But the shop is too small, for the amount of trade they do and the staff are beyond rude, indifferent, arrogant...... Whereas MrL is much quieter, is as likely to stock produce from our local area as not (same with mrAl - luck of the drawer I think) and the majority of staff are kind, helpful and considerate. A newish mrAl in the town along is much bigger, but it is a nightmare to find things (perhaps because I'm not regular shopper there?) and the staff are as rude as our local branch - plus the car park is a nightmare to get into and out of.

Perhaps it's just down to management at the local level.

I must get around to sorting our Baby Greying's investments, your DD will be streets ahead in the investment game by now

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I think you have hit the nail on the head Greying - manners (good or bad) flow from the top!

It probably is time to think about Baby Greying, but I wouldn't worry. Any investments for a child can/probably should be volatile and relatively high risk at this point, so plenty of time to grow a nest egg.

DD is doing well, but she is only competing with herself I think she's about 1.9x times her 'benchmark'.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 21st Apr 17, 2:40 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 43,316 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

DD is doing well, but she is only competing with herself I think she's about 1.9x times her 'benchmark'.
    And I bet she's up to speed with spreadsheeting that...... Seriously, I must get onto it - it's only a case of pressing a few buttons on the computer!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 21st Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Well, she mashes laptop keyboard like a pro and yells 'CAT' whenever she sees a mobile phone (blinking YouTub3)!
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 21st Apr 17, 10:52 PM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 30,238 Thanks
    AlexLK
    We don't have either of the German supermarkets close by which I think most people find outside very large towns / cities. The nearest is 15 miles away. Local supermarket is either a big Sainsburys in one town or a large Co-op in the other town. Co-op is more expensive but that town has a large open market every Monday. Try to get as little as possible from the supermarkets, though.

Can't believe how close you are to completing your house when you've not been there that long.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,405 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well, she mashes laptop keyboard like a pro and yells 'CAT' whenever she sees a mobile phone (blinking YouTub3)!
    The internet is made of cats, as you well know, Ed

I wish a German supermarket was in my town **wistful sigh**

I *did* experiment with Waitrose - I had some vouchers (a "meal" and a snack) plus I worked on myWaitrose, where you can choose a 20% discount on ten of hundreds of offers. Once I worked out how it worked on the website, I went for it: 500g marmite was £4.50 became £3.60, a pack of 9 own brand toilet rolls was £3.75 became £3, stuff like that. Sometimes its worth it, but finding Alpro single cream soy, which I actually *like*, was appallingly difficult, so in general I'll just keep an eye out and not usually take advantage of it, its too energy-consuming. Asda online delivery is coming up but I might go back for some more marmite and toilet rolls

The meal, by the way, was an open sandwich with fresh avocado and hard-boiled egg, it was lurvely.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 22nd Apr 17, 9:07 PM
    • 10,747 Posts
    • 56,189 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Exhausted after 2 hours of backbreaking gravel removal! Should be able to finish it tomorrow, but also have normal housework, gym visit and family stuff to think of.

Thought the following might be useful for people if (like me), you find your Nectar points about as useful as a chocolate teapot

You can get 50% of your points refunded if you convert them into an eB@y voucher, which seemed like a good deal. Hotukde@ls had it

I used up some lingering points to buy bulbs and got some back as well
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 22nd Apr 17, 10:56 PM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 30,238 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I feel your pain re. gravel removal! Getting the priorities right , my wife and I extended a gravel driveway when we first moved here up to outbuildings that now form our workshop. We tried far too hard on the first day and had to give up for two weeks. Every single muscle was aching and we gave up on the idea of doing anymore work to the house during those two weeks.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 23rd Apr 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I took my Son to the dentist (50 miles from home) on Friday and he was limping and waddling from overdoing the glutes and leg-work but his was in the gym - I always have hamstring and achilles problems after weeding where I bend over and keep thinking, I'll just do that bit before I stop.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

1,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin