Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    • 10,003Posts
    • 52,062Thanks
    edinburgher
    Only freedom will do
    • 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    Only freedom will do 2nd May 14 at 3:58 PM
    It has come to my attention that I have been here for a very long time

I joined these forums in a dim and distant past, where money was my enemy and the weight of my student debts left me crushed and panicked, unable to picture a future where I would be able to get a debit card (never mind a mortgage).

5 years later and the milestones of marriage, first home and first car have come and gone. Throughout it all, I have had a creeping feeling that something wasnít quite right. I donít get the world of work, and while Iíve never been unemployed in my adult life, Iíve tried too hard to try my hand at too many things and Iím left feeling like Iím an actor who recognises the play, but does not understand his motivation.

As some of you will know, I have experienced some real heartache of late. Your messages of support and hope have been so touching and in many cases, I have got more comfort from anonymous individuals who took the time to get in touch than people I know in the Ďrealí world.

While money would have done nothing to prevent it, the luxury of savings and our hard work over the years meant that we were in a position to make the right decisions and take our time with our next steps. Returning to work has been a real blow and without sounding even more melodramatic, I donít think Iíd realised just how damaging I find the merry-go-round of rote work, office politics and bureaucracy.

It wonít do, I canít believe that this is as good as it gets and to quote one of my favourite singers ĎWe can always build a world better than thisí.

From this point on, I plan to dedicate myself to achieving financial independence. Not MFW, but freedom from all the nonsense that we go through to just to pay for a pile of bricks and a few years of leisure at the end of our span.

Hopefully you can join me for the journey
Page 251
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 14th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    choccielover
    Oh, misread that! Ignore me though slightly intrigued as to who you're talking about...
    Originally posted by slowlyfading
    I'm guessing it might be someone who could perhaps be considered something of a "prodigy".
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    OP in 2016 - Jan £599.45 Feb £1584.13 Mar £299.10
    Apr £880.37 May £1007.26 June £929.56 July £948
    2016 Target £10,000
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 14th Sep 16, 11:23 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 25,403 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Burritos were great and I will be making more. Thanks, Ed.

I find blogs to be all about self promotion and self justification, to be honest. From what I know they are usually trying to drive site traffic to earn money. I can't say I read any blogs unless someone links to a post on here / emails a link to me.
    Savings 2016: £9,790.
    £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013. Debt free on 12/1/2015.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Sep 16, 8:14 AM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 52,062 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I'm guessing it might be someone who could perhaps be considered something of a "prodigy".
    Originally posted by choccielover
    Love it, the prize for subtlety goes to choccielover
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 21st Sep 16, 9:20 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    choccielover
    All ok Eds?

Not like you to be quiet for so long.

Chocs
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    2016 Target £10,000
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 22nd Sep 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 7,257 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Another post Ed and you will have 4 x (that's - 0000's at the end of your posts
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and someday it will all be 0's
    MF Original date March 30 Remortgage Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    o/p 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69 MFW2016 #27 £3033.31/£3000, MFiT T4 .#5
    New Target for o/p £720.39/£1000 by 31.12.16
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 22nd Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    choccielover
    That's probably why he's gone quiet, planning the big party to celebrate the big 10,000 takes time....

Not to mention the thought that's required behind the post itself.....it has to be memorable, sage, poignant.
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    2016 Target £10,000
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 23rd Sep 16, 8:11 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    No pressure then...
    Mortgage: £28,501.88 [MFiT4 MN+60k: MN+£28,699.85] (1/9/16)
    Independence: 11.2% [300k in 2020: 71.7%] (1/9/16)
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 27th Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    choccielover
    At what point do we send out the search teams...

I didn't see a request for time off come in
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    2016 Target £10,000
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 27th Sep 16, 9:07 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 7,257 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    It was the holiday weekend here, with Friday (schools) and Monday holiday. Good time for a long weekend away.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and someday it will all be 0's
    MF Original date March 30 Remortgage Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    o/p 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69 MFW2016 #27 £3033.31/£3000, MFiT T4 .#5
    New Target for o/p £720.39/£1000 by 31.12.16
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 28th Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 52,062 Thanks
    edinburgher
    It would have been nice to have a triumphal post to mark 10,000 bursts of consciousness, but it never quite came together. Truth be told, I'm feeling somewhat scunnered!

Work continues to worry me and while I'm trying to explore options to improve my employability, it takes time, nothing is certain and I've been coasting for so long that the self doubt that I can make myself 'useful' is like wading through molasses. Trying not to burden Mrs E with it, but it is affecting my sleep and peace of mind.

It's not all doom and gloom - for the first time in years I have some concrete ideas of things I'd like to learn, which is good. But like all people who have atrophied doing the same thing for a long time, I'm afraid to start in case I waste time/fail? Ironic really, feels like I've done nothing but waste time for the last 5 years

On the positive front, we've had a few lovely family days out, DD is now toddling like a champ and if we could only break her addiction to Paw P@trol, I suspect her IQ would go through the ceiling! Her sleep hasn't been the best, but we'll start training her to settle better again.

Money things are scary but controlled. We have a big list of everything that needs done to the house, probably another £11,000 or so. Have broken jobs down into simple steps, with realistic price ranges for each item. A fair bit of it will need to be done by contractors, our first booked in job is getting a new fence put in at the end of October. We cut down our gigantic leylandii and the garden looks huge (and bare).

Like a lot of other people on these forums, we're trying to figure out what to do with our money in a low return world. We have £6,000 of regular saver money that most definitely won't be getting renewed at the rate of 2% that we have been offered! We also have £2-3,000 of P2P money that will be getting drawn down as soon as possible as the platform appears to be very unreliable (don't worry fellow forumites, not anything that I've referred anyone to).

My current thinking is to finish the house (bar the kitchen) this year and frontload our S&S ISAs up to the end of March. From April we'll be putting our pension contributions up quite a bit, possibly as high as 27%.

Still adding to P2P accounts, but being a lot pickier. Rate cuts have led to a lot of new money and the best days are probably behind a lot of the more popular platforms.

Other than that? Probably pay down the 0% credit cards very slooooowly.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 28th Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 25,403 Thanks
    AlexLK
    If you've found something you're interested in doing, get on with it. Having (and then maintaining) interest is a lot of the battle. Life is far too short to be doing a full time job you don't enjoy for the majority of time. Whilst there are always going to be aspects about any part of life that you don't enjoy, it shouldn't be the majority of any one aspect. The uncertainty in your current job may be concerning you but from what you've said in the past about not enjoying work I'd say it's more an opportunity to give you a push to do something about it.

Learning opportunities are not just found in work or formal education settings. You are processing and learning new things all the time to suit your current environment. I'm sure that over the last five years you've likely improved your knowledge of (some) investments (through investing) and found yourself learning lots of new skills through becoming a parent and taking on a larger property that needs work.
    Savings 2016: £9,790.
    £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013. Debt free on 12/1/2015.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Sep 16, 11:32 AM
    • 26,296 Posts
    • 137,652 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's not all doom and gloom - for the first time in years I have some concrete ideas of things I'd like to learn, which is good. But like all people who have atrophied doing the same thing for a long time, I'm afraid to start in case I waste time/fail? Ironic really, feels like I've done nothing but waste time for the last 5 years
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    you wasting time over the last 5 years? Er, no, no, a thousand times no! Certainly not on the personal and financial levels. And as for the work - well, you have to have an idea of what you're going *to*, because if you just run *from*, things can get quite dodgy quite quickly, though it does work out sometimes, of course.

Totally agree with Alex that life is too short to do a full time job you don't like - I liked the job I've just retired from, but I didn't notice the toll it was taking until it was too late, and then I was too ill to have the energy to change, so I was stuck for a few years. I'm already nearly all the way back to health, but if I'd noticed the signs earlier, I could've avoided all that fatigue stuff.

On the positive front, we've had a few lovely family days out, DD is now toddling like a champ and if we could only break her addiction to Paw P@trol, I suspect her IQ would go through the ceiling! Her sleep hasn't been the best, but we'll start training her to settle better again.
    Awwww!

You want her to have fun, she has to learn her own ways - in about 10 years time, you're going to be complaining about her music choices, you know that, don't you

Save
    Retired 25 August 2016

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 29th Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 52,062 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Who said that I was trying to move to a job I thought that I'd like? My current thinking is better the devil you know - I'd like to grow some skills for the job that I'm supposed to be doing - computers and stuff. I am not happy, but I don't think that a Gatsbyesqye quest for work fulfillment will resolve that. I want out, retaining a reasonable white collar wage makes that possible.

That and some books on stoicism

Pretty sure DD will be slagging off my taste in music in 10 years, not the other way round "you're too old to listen to post hardcore Dad!"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Sep 16, 12:08 PM
    • 26,296 Posts
    • 137,652 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Who said that I was trying to move to a job I thought that I'd like? My current thinking is better the devil you know - I'd like to grow some skills for the job that I'm supposed to be doing - computers and stuff. I am not happy, but I don't think that a Gatsbyesqye quest for work fulfillment will resolve that. I want out, retaining a reasonable white collar wage makes that possible.

That and some books on stoicism
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Oops, read too much into your original comment!

Known devils and stoicism are good options for savvy people

Pretty sure DD will be slagging off my taste in music in 10 years, not the other way round "you're too old to listen to post hardcore Dad!"
    That too
    Save
    Retired 25 August 2016

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hi Ed,

Have finally read through your thread from the beginning - I've learnt SO much along the way and plan to put it into practice very soon (after more reading in some cases). Thanks for all your clever investment knowledge and thanks to everyone who has asked 'stupid' questions - I can guarantee that I was sitting there thinking 'I don't understand!'.

Your daughter sounds adorable, apart from the not sleeping thing!

Subscribed!
    OPs made 2016 = £2711.54
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance July 2016: £110,295.85
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 52,062 Thanks
    edinburgher
    @ themadvix - thanks for your kind words, still feel like I'm learning every day, it's hard work this being a grownup!

Grim daddy daughter day - torrential rains, small floods, DD grumpy and sleepy after getting up at 04:00. Tried to take her swimming, but she just cried and cried when she saw her suit, so gave up and ran errands instead. Paid in a cheque, collected some parcels and felt sorry for myself, so bought a bag of chips.... Only to drive past a friend cycling in the !!!!ing rain! Some people....

Boys night out with my local siblings tonight, so once Mrs E gets over her bad mood because I encouraged DD to take an afternoon nap, I should be home free

Made a few small P2P loans too.

Right - really should go and start waking up sleeping beauty!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,373Users online

Martin's Twitter