Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,834Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 51
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    yes - Reading.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me. He paid for it for the rest of the day though, and was still moaning this morning. It was probably the furthest he has ever run. TBH the same is probably true of me but I have built up to this rather than just going out from scratch.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    The half is a circular route so at least they had the wind behind them and the sides at some point.

We sadly ran straight into it all the way. Luckily / unluckily my mate was mildly injured so I kept having to slow down to let him keep up so it was a slow run.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me.
    I used to do this until I realised how much energy it uses, now I just gentle ease back the pace to let people keep up.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 1:31 PM
    • 6,587 Posts
    • 46,687 Thanks
    kerri gt
    yes - Reading.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me. He paid for it for the rest of the day though, and was still moaning this morning. It was probably the furthest he has ever run. TBH the same is probably true of me but I have built up to this rather than just going out from scratch.
    The half is a circular route so at least they had the wind behind them and the sides at some point.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Yup, I can confirm it was windy running it - though there were only a few bits I really noticed it tough going thank goodness. Being surrounded by other people probably helped with a bit of a barrier. Couldn't deff done with it behind us for the last couple of miles down the A33 though
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    well done both of you. Reading has sent me an early bird entry for next year - no idea how I ended up on that list!!!

I will start with a 10k - I just can't make any plans for a particular one at the moment but if I can do 7k then I can do 10k.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    well done both of you. Reading has sent me an early bird entry for next year - no idea how I ended up on that list!!!
    I get loads of things like that now, from doing similar races. Its really hard to not enter races when they keep waving them at you.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 6,587 Posts
    • 46,687 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I've just got an email for a Reading Ultra errr...never ever ever..... i broke into a cold sweat finishing yesterday thinking I'd only be 1/2 way in a full marathon.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I've just got an email for a Reading Ultra errr...never ever ever..... i broke into a cold sweat finishing yesterday thinking I'd only be 1/2 way in a full marathon.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    haha well that has got me looking forward to my first marathon in June lol
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 6,587 Posts
    • 46,687 Thanks
    kerri gt
    haha well that has got me looking forward to my first marathon in June lol
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    whoops, sorry I am sure you'll do amazing (hey, in my book doing it full stop is amazing)

It's like anything, all about the training and putting in the miles beforehand, a few years back I couldn't run a mile so entering a half marathon would have been bonkers, so I trained and now whilst still bonkers, it's a little more achievable but my training isn't what I'd need to do a full one.

Hats off to you
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    whoops, sorry I am sure you'll do amazing (hey, in my book doing it full stop is amazing)
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I'm sure it is going to be fine. I am back to full training of around 50 miles a week and have now run nearly 20 miles (Albeit not quickly but there were a few big hills in that run).

Yeah like you the thought of doing a marathon when I started running a year and a half ago was
    I'm still not sure that I would be able to run a road marathon though, I much prefer to have terrain difference which changes your stride and give your legs a break. I'm hoping that the marathon goes well as I have 35 miles to do in August
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Something clicked for me this week. I managed to take 26 secs off my 5k PB in one fell swoop and bring it down to under 19:30
    Happy bunny here.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 10th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    congratulations.

I managed a couple of short but hard (for me) runs this week - I was staying in Dorset and it was very hilly! My specs seem to stay on OK so I will try and do a few more in the next 10 days before I have to take a break for an eye op.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 27th Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Just catching up with this thread ...

Increasing mileage has some effect on efficiency.
    Running is becoming easier.

Brought my 5k PB down to 19:14 now, so temping to go and do a flat parkrun when I can fit it in to bring it down sub 19.
    10k PB is now down below 41 mins (even on a race with over 500 feet of ascent), hoping to bring that down below 40 mins in the middle of may with my last road race for a while.

All in all good progress, did a 7 mile run at marathon pace (~7 min/mile) last night and it felt like I could have run that pace for a long time. Hopefully going out on Sunday to attempt a 20 mile run with about 2000 feet of ascent to see how it feels. Only doing that gently though

Just need to stay injury free now and hopefully all this hard work will pay off with finishing the marathon in one piece. Small matter of surviving a weekend in the peak district next weekend with a couple of sort of races.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 27th Apr 17, 6:19 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    These sub 20 minute 5k runs seem awfully fast to me. It must be risky pushing that hard... Apart from damage to limbs and muscles there must be an increased risk of cardiac arrest?
    I don't want to be a doom mungerer (sic?) but it worry's me.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 28th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    These sub 20 minute 5k runs seem awfully fast to me. It must be risky pushing that hard... Apart from damage to limbs and muscles there must be an increased risk of cardiac arrest?
    I don't want to be a doom mungerer (sic?) but it worry's me.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Its much better for you than not doing it. And its not flat out collapse over the line pace.
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 15th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Been a while for me. My marathon training is now kicking into high gear - or should I say long?
    Did 14 miles a fortnight ago but my 10 mile run last Sunday just fell apart, couldn't even manage 2 1/2 and I tried twice. Took it on the chin and went home and had a chillax that day.
    Tomorrow I should be doing 16 and on Friday afternoon I was all geared up and looking forward to it (as much as one can, I suppose) and then I found out my grandad died. I'm still going to go out tomorrow but not sure if I'll do the full 16 although I hope I do. I'll let you know how I get on.
    71 days until Loch Ness marathon!
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £91,084.44 20 yrs left
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good luck mrsp1987, sometimes the run is a good thing to give you time to process.

Should really update as it was April my last update.

Did my trail marathon in 3hrs 18.
    Just brought my 10k PB down to just under 38:30
    And my 5k to roughly 19:00

Currently about to start training for my 35 mile race in August.
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 16th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 3,443 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Am very jealous of a 19min pb for 5k; in fact I'm jealous of all your times!

I'm definitely a plodder. Currently not much running going on, I've got two weeks til my 100km walk, and then I have to get my running head back on for Bristol half in September. Tips for improving pace very much appreciated!
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8852 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 16th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Considering that I've not felt very good about my running recently I'm happy to report that I complete my 16 miles in just over 3 1/2 hours. It wasn't a perfect run but it was the best one I've had in a long time and my lungs felt good, my legs didn't feel too bad and I was able to keep going (walking breaks included of course).
    It was also very good for my mental health and I don't feel as much grief at the moment, but that may return. All in all a good long run
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £91,084.44 20 yrs left
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 16th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Tips for improving pace very much appreciated!
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    More miles and some separate Fast interval sessions have been the biggest factors in my improvements.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,457 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello everyone, I'm migrating over here from the C25K thread.

I completed my first 5K a few weeks ago and gave myself a bit of time to get more used to it (and go on holiday! I managed a couple of 3K runs in the heat on the hills while away so I didn't entirely stop ). So this morning I got the C210K app and I'm all excited to go, especially as I've just discovered that 5K graduates start at W9!

I do tend to have problems with stiffness after running despite stretches. A friend who's a sports coach taught me a gluts stretch which has eliminated the difficulties with the outside of my hip joint (I do actually have 2 hips but only one gives me gyp ). Now I'm noticing the stiffness at the front of my hip so if anyone can suggest a remedy I'd be very grateful.

Right, time to get going, but I'll be back because glancing through this thread I can see there's a lot I can learn.
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,924Posts Today

8,632Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin