Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,834Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 51
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    yes - Reading.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me. He paid for it for the rest of the day though, and was still moaning this morning. It was probably the furthest he has ever run. TBH the same is probably true of me but I have built up to this rather than just going out from scratch.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 14,273 Thanks
    indesisiv
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    The half is a circular route so at least they had the wind behind them and the sides at some point.

We sadly ran straight into it all the way. Luckily / unluckily my mate was mildly injured so I kept having to slow down to let him keep up so it was a slow run.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me.
    I used to do this until I realised how much energy it uses, now I just gentle ease back the pace to let people keep up.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 1:31 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 45,581 Thanks
    kerri gt
    yes - Reading.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me. He paid for it for the rest of the day though, and was still moaning this morning. It was probably the furthest he has ever run. TBH the same is probably true of me but I have built up to this rather than just going out from scratch.
    The half is a circular route so at least they had the wind behind them and the sides at some point.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Yup, I can confirm it was windy running it - though there were only a few bits I really noticed it tough going thank goodness. Being surrounded by other people probably helped with a bit of a barrier. Couldn't deff done with it behind us for the last couple of miles down the A33 though
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    well done both of you. Reading has sent me an early bird entry for next year - no idea how I ended up on that list!!!

I will start with a 10k - I just can't make any plans for a particular one at the moment but if I can do 7k then I can do 10k.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 14,273 Thanks
    indesisiv
    well done both of you. Reading has sent me an early bird entry for next year - no idea how I ended up on that list!!!
    I get loads of things like that now, from doing similar races. Its really hard to not enter races when they keep waving them at you.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 45,581 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I've just got an email for a Reading Ultra errr...never ever ever..... i broke into a cold sweat finishing yesterday thinking I'd only be 1/2 way in a full marathon.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 14,273 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I've just got an email for a Reading Ultra errr...never ever ever..... i broke into a cold sweat finishing yesterday thinking I'd only be 1/2 way in a full marathon.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    haha well that has got me looking forward to my first marathon in June lol
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 45,581 Thanks
    kerri gt
    haha well that has got me looking forward to my first marathon in June lol
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    whoops, sorry I am sure you'll do amazing (hey, in my book doing it full stop is amazing)

It's like anything, all about the training and putting in the miles beforehand, a few years back I couldn't run a mile so entering a half marathon would have been bonkers, so I trained and now whilst still bonkers, it's a little more achievable but my training isn't what I'd need to do a full one.

Hats off to you
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 14,273 Thanks
    indesisiv
    whoops, sorry I am sure you'll do amazing (hey, in my book doing it full stop is amazing)
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I'm sure it is going to be fine. I am back to full training of around 50 miles a week and have now run nearly 20 miles (Albeit not quickly but there were a few big hills in that run).

Yeah like you the thought of doing a marathon when I started running a year and a half ago was
    I'm still not sure that I would be able to run a road marathon though, I much prefer to have terrain difference which changes your stride and give your legs a break. I'm hoping that the marathon goes well as I have 35 miles to do in August
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter