Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,834Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 50
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 5th Mar 17, 6:06 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd say hi.

I started running last May in an attempt to lose the baby weight following the birth of my son. I'm trying to get out 3 times a week. I've got my first 10k race today and first half in 4 weeks - beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for!
    1000km in 2017 = 328/1000
    End of August goals.......
    Reduce OD to £500 = £0 / £515.28 Clear Very £0/ £125.73
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 5th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Just seen this as I was racing a cross country today.
    How did your race go Seabiscuit?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 6th Mar 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    barbarawright
    To get to an HM is less than a year is great progress! Hope your 10k went OK, Seabiscuit
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 11th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 3,391 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Bath Half tomorrow nerves beginning to set in now! Off to the hotel this afternoon, and then for a recce to the start and runners village. Good luck to anyone else running anywhere this weekend x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8852 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good luck stepuptothepl8. I do enjoy a good half marathon.

Gentle day for me, jog to parkrun then jog home. Easy miles although it does add up forgot that its 6 miles to parkrun lol. Nice day in the rain on the north york moors tomorrow for me. Should bring my weeks mileage up to around 55 miles and a first full training week since Jan.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 13th Mar 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    barbarawright
    Bath Half tomorrow nerves beginning to set in now! Off to the hotel this afternoon, and then for a recce to the start and runners village. Good luck to anyone else running anywhere this weekend x
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    How did you get on?
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 14th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    WJN222
    Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining. I am trying to get back into running after a couple of years off.
    Have signed up to a 10K to give me something to aim for. I have been training since the new year and can comfortably do 5K now, though breaking through the 5K barrier seems to be difficult!
    Any advice?
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 272 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 11lb of 28
    Clear the stash May OUT : IN = 3:1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Welcome
    I am getting back into it after injury. I was following a 5k to 10k plan when I damaged a tendon which put me out for a couple of months. I did my 3rd outing since recovering last night - a slow and steady 4.1 miles.
    I was struggling trying to beat my PB for 5k and getting no quicker so I have changed tack and accepted that I am slow and will try and increase the distance instead - improved speed over 5k may come out of being able to run 10k in the end.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Have signed up to a 10K to give me something to aim for. I have been training since the new year and can comfortably do 5K now, though breaking through the 5K barrier seems to be difficult!
    Any advice?
    Originally posted by WJN222
    What is the problem with going further than 5k? If you run 5k comfortably currently then slowly adding distance shouldn't be too problematic. Are you running the 5k flat out?
    I don't know anyone that can comfortably run 5k not be able to do 5.5k .. 6k .. 7k etc overtime.

I was struggling trying to beat my PB for 5k and getting no quicker so I have changed tack and accepted that I am slow and will try and increase the distance instead - improved speed over 5k may come out of being able to run 10k in the end.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Once you were comfortably doing the distances then did you start to throw in intervals, hill work etc. You normally speed up if you are running intervals faster than your target pace.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Going to be doing my longest run at the weekend. Can honestly say that it is the first run that I am actually nervous about doing as it is point to point. So not chance of bugging out half way lol.
    Hopefully it will be nice weather like the weekend just gone. It was lovely running on the moors in the sunshine.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Once you were comfortably doing the distances then did you start to throw in intervals, hill work etc. You normally speed up if you are running intervals faster than your target pace.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    There are hills on my route but I had only done a couple of runs with elements of sprint/jog/sprint and then I got injured. This sort of technique advice is why I am looking to go along to the local running club - hopefully tomorrow.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    There are hills on my route but I had only done a couple of runs with elements of sprint/jog/sprint and then I got injured. This sort of technique advice is why I am looking to go along to the local running club - hopefully tomorrow.
    Clubs are great for things like that. We do a club run on a Wed that i use more as a social event. However, we do speed training / technique on a Monday where being in a group of people allows you to push hard on intervals and hills.

For instance last night we did 8 x 2 mins intervals with 1 min recovery. I ran each one at the same pace, whereas if I try it on my own my pace drops off over the intervals because I don't have people pushing me on.

Its also nice having the coach know you and your targets.
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 14th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    I find that my club runs are a tempo run for me. Usually whatever we do is at a pace that is faster than I usually run when I'm on my own so it's been really good at pushing me out of my comfort zone
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £93,000 20 yrs left
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am hoping to give the local one a try tomorrow but have a poorly DD at home at the moment. Will see if she's better tomorrow
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I find that my club runs are a tempo run for me. Usually whatever we do is at a pace that is faster than I usually run when I'm on my own so it's been really good at pushing me out of my comfort zone
    Originally posted by mrsp1987
    We have different paces and distances at ours. Last week I joined a slower group and ran a slow recovery run (About 8:30/mile) tomorrow I will be doing it more as a tempo run, around 7:00/mile. Nice thing with clubs, options.
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 17th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 3,391 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    How did you get on?
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    Finished in one piece although 2 mins off a PB.. Missed out on the medals as I was so slow; they'd underestimated the number of runners. As way of recompense, they've offered me a free place in next year's, so I'm down for next year already
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8852 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 18th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Finished in one piece although 2 mins off a PB.. Missed out on the medals as I was so slow; they'd underestimated the number of runners. As way of recompense, they've offered me a free place in next year's, so I'm down for next year already
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    Well done on finishing and bonus on the free entry for next year.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 19th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Tough run today in a 40 mph wind! Next time i go and do that run it is going to be on a still day! 20 miles into a headwind = knackered!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.
    DH decided to come for a run with me which was good as he is faster/stronger so I had to up my normal pace a bit. We did 4.5 miles (7.1km) in 52 minutes giving me an 11:30 mile pace which is a whole min per mile faster than the previous run. I will try and go again this week. I didn't make run club due to poorly DD and it may not be worth it now as it is looking like I might be having eye surgery soon. I will keep on going on my own till everything is sorted.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7,375 Posts
    • 46,057 Thanks
    kerri gt
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.
    DH decided to come for a run with me which was good as he is faster/stronger so I had to up my normal pace a bit. We did 4.5 miles (7.1km) in 52 minutes giving me an 11:30 mile pace which is a whole min per mile faster than the previous run. I will try and go again this week. I didn't make run club due to poorly DD and it may not be worth it now as it is looking like I might be having eye surgery soon. I will keep on going on my own till everything is sorted.
    Was that the Reading half?

Well done on upping your pace - I run with a faster friend and she does make me push myself when I am in the mood (else she just goes off and waits for me to finish)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,459Posts Today

8,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin