Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,834Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 45
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 16th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Completed the Great west run today. It was a real struggle.
    I wasn't doing to bad up to 6 miles (reached the 10k point just one min past my 10k finish time last week), but by the time I got to mile 8 I was done. I seriously felt like pulling out, but apart from a short dizzy spell around mile 9 (I think I was over heating) I knew there wasn't anything really wrong with me and persevered.
    I got in at 3 hrs exactly. My longest time ever.

My PB for a half is 1:57:22, and my time on this race a couple of years ago was 2:18:00.

I'm just pleased I didn't pull out.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Mallygirl, my 5k time came down quite a bit when I started training for 10k. I think having that better fitness base really helps especially in the last k of parkrun!
    Originally posted by catherine/kate
    I am sure you are right. I know that I should be speeding up during the 5k but when I look at the splits I just don't manage as I am not fit enough yet. I think I will add jogging home from the parkrun as the first step - which would avoid the parking nightmare as a bonus.

Another PB at ParkRun - 31:44

This is the last week of my 6 week challenge with the ParkRun next Saturday as the end point. I have already exceeded my initial target but that just means I have revised it now.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 18th Oct 16, 4:03 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Completed the Great west run today. It was a real struggle.
    I wasn't doing to bad up to 6 miles (reached the 10k point just one min past my 10k finish time last week), but by the time I got to mile 8 I was done. I seriously felt like pulling out, but apart from a short dizzy spell around mile 9 (I think I was over heating) I knew there wasn't anything really wrong with me and persevered.
    I got in at 3 hrs exactly. My longest time ever.

My PB for a half is 1:57:22, and my time on this race a couple of years ago was 2:18:00.

I'm just pleased I didn't pull out.
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    Well done on completing it. Its a hard distance when you haven't put in the full training.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 19th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Well done on completing it. Its a hard distance when you haven't put in the full training.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    It was really tough. The photos came in, I have saved the worse for inspiration
    BF ended up calling in sick from work on Monday as he couldn't walk. I was limping but I work in an office so got to sit down all day.
    EF Challenger #36
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    It was really tough. The photos came in, I have saved the worse for inspiration
    BF ended up calling in sick from work on Monday as he couldn't walk. I was limping but I work in an office so got to sit down all day.
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    Tough call for the photos ... if you see them in time then I always try and go for a smile and a wave. If not then I generally look like I am having a stroke lol.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 21st Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Tough call for the photos ... if you see them in time then I always try and go for a smile and a wave. If not then I generally look like I am having a stroke lol.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    I did force a smile and a wave for those I spotted. Normally the photos aren't too bad, but I felt every step of this race, and the photo shows that!
    EF Challenger #36
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 28th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I'm ready for the weekend!!! Hopefully get chance tomorrow to push a 5k parkrun hard and hopefully get the 6 secs that I need to go sub 20 mins!
    Unless I can find a good Halloween costume in which case I could be considerably slower lol.

Hopefully even put in a long run on Sunday as its been a fair few weeks since I put in a longer run than about 10k. I have a nice 14 mile route laid out that I want to run. Then take it easier next week in time for the Derwentwater 10 mile race next Sunday.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 30th Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Missed out on the sub 20 parkrun, but at least getting back to full speed as only 5 secs off my PB.
    Managed a nice gentle 13.7 mile jog this morning, making the most of the extra hour. Glad that I can still run that far even if it was just as a gentle low heart rate run. Hopefully be able to push a fast 10 miles next weekend.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 31st Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I struggled with last week's PR - 1 minute slower than the previous week, I got a stitch and my hip really ached for the rest of the day after a stumble pulled something. Onwards and upwards.
    I have downloaded a training plan to move up from 5k to 10k - just got to squeeze it in with real life which keeps getting in the way.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 31st Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I struggled with last week's PR - 1 minute slower than the previous week, I got a stitch and my hip really ached for the rest of the day after a stumble pulled something. Onwards and upwards.
    I have downloaded a training plan to move up from 5k to 10k - just got to squeeze it in with real life which keeps getting in the way.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    You get weeks like that for whatever reason, onwards and upwards.
    I did 3 weeks of PB's then couldn't get within a min of that time for 3 weeks. Now back about to that level.

Is the 10k training plan not just increase mileage gently?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 31st Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    it is - but with some variety like tempo runs and fast runs. I am basically looking for some guidance on the pace of increasing the mileage and anything else that will help me improve. I did follow a C25k program 5 years ago which worked pretty well - although it was 6 weeks back then but seems to be 8 or 9 weeks now.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 31st Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    @MallyGirl Good luck with the progression.
    I much prefer 10k and upwards than 5k.

If you want to go faster enter a race and get dragged along by someone
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 3rd Nov 16, 9:31 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Last run done this week until I race 10 miles on Sunday. Just a quick circuits strength session tonight. And probably about 5 miles walking on Sat cheering people on in a race I am going to support.

So far this week:
    Mon: Intervals 40 secs hard (5:15 mins/mile) 90 secs recovery x 12
    Tues: 5 mile progression run 1st Mile 7:42 last 6:43
    Wed: 9 mile progression run, 1st Mile 8:23 last 6:20
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 3rd Nov 16, 10:37 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    have a good one.

I am doing day 2 of my 5k to 10k plan tonight - warm up, 10 min jog, 3 min tempo run, 10 min jog, cool down. Sounds manageable
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Nov 16, 8:22 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Smashed out a new 10 mile PB in todays race running quicker than 70 mins including running 19:49 for the first 5k! Well pleased with that
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Nov 16, 9:55 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Impressive.

PR was same time as last week (so still 1 min slower than 2 weeks ago) and the twinge in my hip/muscle right at the top of the back of my thigh came back. I suspect that I did too much last week, plus it was much colder and very muddy/slippery. 2 months ago I hadn't run for 5 years (and only did a couch to 5k and 2 park runs back then) and then last week I went out 4 times. I rested yesterday and today and will do run club tomorrow night (assuming all is well, it already feels better than it did).
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Nov 16, 2:23 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Impressive.

PR was same time as last week (so still 1 min slower than 2 weeks ago) and the twinge in my hip/muscle right at the top of the back of my thigh came back. I suspect that I did too much last week, plus it was much colder and very muddy/slippery. 2 months ago I hadn't run for 5 years (and only did a couch to 5k and 2 park runs back then) and then last week I went out 4 times. I rested yesterday and today and will do run club tomorrow night (assuming all is well, it already feels better than it did).
    Big increases in distance are most definitely not recommended!
    Hope its nothing serious.

Heartily recommend the derwentwater 10 mile race. The scenic nature is enough to catch your eyes and take your mind off the fact that you have over 200m of climbing in the race
    And it was nice excuse to go over to the lakes with the added bonus that I could support a few of my mates that were running in the lakeland trails series.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Nov 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    sounds lovely - maybe next year!

I am sure I have just worked a few muscles that have been happily asleep for many years. I noticed it most when I leapt out of bed on Sunday morning (a dog suddenly making the 'I am about to vomit' noise while lying on your bed will have that effect) and my left leg sort of gave way a bit. Taking it easy now.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Nov 16, 9:29 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    sounds lovely - maybe next year!

I am sure I have just worked a few muscles that have been happily asleep for many years. I noticed it most when I leapt out of bed on Sunday morning (a dog suddenly making the 'I am about to vomit' noise while lying on your bed will have that effect) and my left leg sort of gave way a bit. Taking it easy now.
    We will definitely be going back next year. There was 6 of us entered this year and all loved it.

Just been for a gentle 6 mile interval session. The legs are feeling slightly better now they have had a bit of a workout.
    Gentle week this week as I have a 7 mile cross country race on Sunday.

Hope your leg is nothing serious!!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Nov 16, 3:37 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Loved running through the mud in the sunshine today Nearly 7 miles of hilly cross country racing.
    Its nice to be able to run in November with just a running vest and shorts on ... especially after the last weeks cold weather.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

2,213Users online

Martin's Twitter