Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,834Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 44
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 9th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Well done x_raphael_xx

Now you have done the 10k the half is just a case of getting out there and doing it your legs will appreciate a gentle couple of miles tomorrow so even if you hurt its still worth getting out there to do it as it will really help with recovery.

I've just got back in from a gentle ish 10 miles. Its surprisingly warm out there today! I was so tired at the end but luckily it was downhill so managed to put in a sprint finish at the end. And set a PB for 400m and take a CR on strava for that section in the process. Just hope that my 10 mile race in a couple of weeks is a bit quicker as I'm not sure I could have gone much quicker today.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 10th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    2 mile run completed this morning. 11:32 m/m so not too bad. I was telling BF last night that I'd love to get back to 09:30m/m again. Right now I'd settle for sub 11m/m.

Poor BF was limping around this morning getting ready for work, I don't feel too bad. I was very stiff last night but loosened up this morning. I have a sore spot on the side of my foot, the pressure from my shoes I think. I have two pairs I alternate each run. I prefer the ones I wore for the race, but didn't want to rub on the same spots as yesterday.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    2 mile run completed this morning. 11:32 m/m so not too bad. I was telling BF last night that I'd love to get back to 09:30m/m again. Right now I'd settle for sub 11m/m.
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    Running after a race is all about recovery not speed. Nice gentle get the system clearing itself out after the stress of the race.
    Good on you for getting out there and running today.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Woo hoo, my shiny new trail shoes have arrived
    Ready to go and test them now but sadly have no time till next weekend to give them a good run out.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 3,771 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    enjoy.

I have a series of old trainers, with past their best heat moulded insoles, that tend to get used for mushing with the dogs or camping. I am rubbish at throwing the old ones away - and I wear them all day, every day in the winter after having plantar fasciitis a few years back.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    enjoy.

I have a series of old trainers, with past their best heat moulded insoles, that tend to get used for mushing with the dogs or camping. I am rubbish at throwing the old ones away - and I wear them all day, every day in the winter after having plantar fasciitis a few years back.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I have lots of old ones that I have retired but just don't have the heart to throw/give away.
    These are a lot more cushioned than my current ones and are designed for long running. I bought them as I am about to start my trail marathon training. Then if that goes well I want to carry on with training for longer runs than that.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 3,771 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I will follow with interest.
    I have decided I need to try and aim for a 10K in 2016 - I still want to try and get to a 5k time starting with a 2 but I would like to build up the distance as well and I work better with a goal. Time to look around for a local event
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I will follow with interest.
    I have decided I need to try and aim for a 10K in 2016 - I still want to try and get to a 5k time starting with a 2 but I would like to build up the distance as well and I work better with a goal. Time to look around for a local event
    If you want a 5k time beginning with a 2 then the best bet would be to do more longer runs. I'd have thought to get that sort of time you would need to be running 10k's as training runs. *Don't quote me on that though*

Do you run 10ks in training?
    By the time you have done a mile or 2 warm up then a 5k race, then warmed down you'd be about at 10k?

I've been working on getting a 5k time starting with a 1 (Still 6 secs short )

I say if you regularly run 5k then you can run 10k ... go on and enter a race, there are loads of nice ones around. I've just entered one for boxing day
    Figure that I don't need to be anywhere till 12 and the race starts at 10am. Its about 30 mins drive home, so should be able to run, drive home then get a shower before I need to be anywhere else

Edit: A couple of places to look
    http://www.fetcheveryone.com/
    http://www.runbritain.com/races
    http://!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/events/running-events-home.aspx

Really ... it filtered that!!

http://the running bug.co.uk/events/running-events-home.aspx
    Last edited by indesisiv; 13-10-2016 at 2:31 PM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 3,771 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    thanks - will take a look. Not really thinking about 'races' as such, more just getting to run that sort of distance without dying
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    thanks - will take a look. Not really thinking about 'races' as such, more just getting to run that sort of distance without dying
    Nothing like a race to focus the mind lol.

I struggle to get out of a jog if I am not racing.
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 14th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Races are great, they really do focus you and push you more in training than if you just wanted to reach that distance. Speaking off, I need to start training for mine. 2 now in December, thee 11th and 27th
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £96,211.87 20 yrs 10 months left
    O/P Fund: £2,336.81/£1,000
    Tilly Tidy #11: I've completely lost count!!
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000. Currently £95,166.53
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good luck with the races mrsp1987... and the training.

Good luck @x_raphael_xx with the half too.

I don't find that I train any harder but I just can't run at the same pace as I race at even when I try.

I've got a few coming up too!
    6th Nov (10 miles)(Road)
    13th Nov (7.2 miles)(Cross Country)
    11th Dec (10k)(Cross Country)
    26th Dec (10k)(Road)

Busy busy.
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 14th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    I did a cross country run in April
    And absolutely hated it. The grass just saps all the energy from my legs!! But i know I should incorporate it into some training as I found it was a lot easier when I ran on the road afterwards
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £96,211.87 20 yrs 10 months left
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    And absolutely hated it. The grass just saps all the energy from my legs!! But i know I should incorporate it into some training as I found it was a lot easier when I ran on the road afterwards
    Originally posted by mrsp1987
    I find it harder work, but I am just not a fan of running on the road.
    I'm not very good going up but I make up places on the descents mostly.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 14th Oct 16, 10:48 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Good luck @x_raphael_xx with the half too.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Thank you

Originally posted by mrsp1987
    I really don't like running off-road, I like to forget where my feet are falling. When I'm running on fields and through mud I don't feel confident and can't get a comfortable pace.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 15th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Yes that's it as well. I have to pay such attention to where I'm placing my feet to make sure I don't end up in a rabbit warren with a serious injury that I can't keep a steady rythym with the running
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 15th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    Hi there, I've been reading with interest, am working up to a half marathon next year - longest distance run to date is 12k (and some 10k races).

Re trail vs road running, I have a great run which goes 2k up a hill on roads through a housing estate (the residents think I'm mad) and then 2k down the same hill on a bumpy windy track through the woods. I find the downhill bit, when all I can think about is where I'm putting my feet and keeping a steady pace, very meditative. Having said that I fell over yesterday in a muddy bit! Find road running harder on the hip flexors, especially because it's so hilly round here, so I like to mix it up.

Mallygirl, my 5k time came down quite a bit when I started training for 10k. I think having that better fitness base really helps especially in the last k of parkrun!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Re the cross country / trails. I tend to just let my feet sort themselves out. I find the less you think about it the easier it is for your brain to subconsciously deal with the foot placement. The only time I concentrate is when it gets really rocky running down the fells. But mostly feet will take care of themselves.

We all nice gentle ish parkrun this morning testing out the new shoes, all feels ok.

Now on to 3 days walking in the lake district
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 15th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    barbarawright
    I've got a ballot place in the London marathon. And now I'm wondering what on earth made me enter
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I've got a ballot place in the London marathon. And now I'm wondering what on earth made me enter
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    Woo hoo, go you. I know lots of people who have been rejected, and only a couple who have got in.

Good luck... too many people for me! I've entered on that normally gets about 100 people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,103Posts Today

7,467Users online

Martin's Twitter