Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,834Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 43
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 3rd Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good afternoon all.
    I've just got back from a weekend in the lake district. 15k trail race on Sat in 1hr 13mins. Then a nice gentle recovery run on sunday up to the top of coniston old man and dow crag.

Also have ordered myself some nice shoes (hang the expense) Inov8 x-tallons 275's.

Well done on the PB MallyGirl.
    Last edited by indesisiv; 03-10-2016 at 2:03 PM.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Southernman
    • By Southernman 3rd Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    Southernman
    Serious problem I'm having and maybe someone can help? I have a half marathon in two weeks so I've been doing a lot of long runs but need the toilet half way through.

For example tonight I ran 13.5 miles and went to the toilet beforehand and there was nothing there. Two miles in and I had to go. It had to happen and I don't even mean a wee. It happened again at mile 10 too.

It's awful and embarrassing. I run in a country park so I can hide my shame behind a tree but I'm really worried about race day

Should I change my diet? Stop eating fruit? I just don't know!!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe £3850/£3500
    Mortgage Debt May 2011- £90,000
    December 2014 £69,993
    Goal- May 2016 £60,000
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 3rd Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    @Southernman are you using gels or anything? Or eating during the run? If so don't.

Avoid foods with high fiber the day before and race day.

Go for a gentle warm up run, half mile or so should do, then go to the toilet. Then do your long run.
    Why do you think that the queues for toilets immediately before races are so busy.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 4th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 4,559 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Today was a shorter faster run with knee picking up as the aim.
    Busy with life over the weekend and back to back flights with cabin baggage only...no running shoes
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 4th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Today was a shorter faster run with knee picking up as the aim.
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Was the aim to lift your knee higher?? I'm confused.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 4th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I can understand that as an aim as I know that I have a tendency to scuttle - long legs are all very well but at the moment they are very heavy! I have been concentrating on fully breathing out - as recommended - but also trying to pick my feet up a bit more.

Run club tonight - I am hoping that the cooler weather will mean fewer biting insects as we are all being targeted. I resorted to max strength jungle formula last week - I got no new bites but did leave the conservatory floor like an icerink so I will spray outside this week
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 4th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 4,559 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I need to get them up so as not to trip on trails....so I'm practising where there is only my own feet to fall over
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 5th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I need to get them up so as not to trip on trails....so I'm practising where there is only my own feet to fall over
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Never had this problem as I just let my feet sort themselves out when trail running. There is usually no time for conscious movement, by the time I have seen something I am normally through it, so just leave it to the subconscious to get me through.

One thing I did pick up on my travels is that it is not so much practising lifting your leg but how fast you can pull your leg through. As if you can pull it from its backward position faster then you are more likely to be running with proper form. Works when going uphill too.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 4,559 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    That might be what I am actually doing tho I think of it as lifting my knee.....whatever, it feels lighter and keeps the cadence up and keeps the brain busy...
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I can't believe I am actually sitting here with a smile on my face about something exercise related, but it is true.
    I am 4 weeks in to my free '6 week improve your PB' program and was not looking forward to it ending. I had seen the prices for bootcamp and couldn't justify it when I can only make 1 session a week, but she has just offered a much lower price for just doing run club. I know it is better for me if I have to make a commitment to turning up once a week, plus doing PR on a Saturday, and now I can keep it going.
    Happy bunny
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I can't believe I am actually sitting here with a smile on my face about something exercise related, but it is true.
    I am 4 weeks in to my free '6 week improve your PB' program and was not looking forward to it ending. I had seen the prices for bootcamp and couldn't justify it when I can only make 1 session a week, but she has just offered a much lower price for just doing run club. I know it is better for me if I have to make a commitment to turning up once a week, plus doing PR on a Saturday, and now I can keep it going.
    Happy bunny
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Thats always a good thing

Do you use strava? That's sometimes a good way for motivation and improving speed. For instance I use the segments bit of it for interval training sometimes. I have a 400m segment near me that my mate took my CR for, so I have had to go out and run a 400m PB to take the record back.

What sort of stuff have they been doing to give you your improvements? And is there not an athletics club that do something similar? I know that my club is £25 for the entire year. Which includes speed training on a monday, club run on a wed and circuits (gym) on a Friday.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    at the moment I use Endomondo to record runs, as it feeds into MyFitnessPal, but could try Strava as I have a garmin vivofit and also an Oregon 650 for when I set off into the wilds with the dogs. I'll take a look.

The training is mostly sprints/laps interspersed with planks, various squats, burpees, mountain climbers, a bit of boxing, etc. Circuit training really but more running and an emphasis on core strengthening.
    They are a nice friendly bunch of ladies from a wide age range and a very wide range of weight/fitness level.
    As an unfit, still a bit chunky, 49 yr old woman I am never going to set foot inside an athletics club - just not going to happen!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    As an unfit, still a bit chunky, 49 yr old woman I am never going to set foot inside an athletics club - just not going to happen!
    Sounds like about half of our athletics club. They do it as a bit of fitness and social experience.
    We were doing 2 min intervals the other day. Many people there were lapped a lot as it was only a 400m lap. But everyone is really nice.

I only joined ours in April and it is massively different to what I expected. I thought that everyone would be a fantastic runner and I'd just be last at everything. But its really not like that at all.

Edit: I remember all the squats, burpees, planks etc from a year or 3 ago when I did insanity!
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 7th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I've been feeling ill since friday, and yesterday was the first day I started feeling better.
    So today I went out for a run:
    23:36 mins - 2.06 miles - 11:23m/m

Of course it started raining again, but I think this time of the year if you don't run in the rain, you won't get to run at all!

I don't feel anywhere near prepared for my 10k on Sunday, but I'm more worried about the half marathon next Sunday. I can blag a 10k and get round, but 13 miles will be a struggle.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv

I don't feel anywhere near prepared for my 10k on Sunday, but I'm more worried about the half marathon next Sunday. I can blag a 10k and get round, but 13 miles will be a struggle.
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    I think that if you can do the 10k then you will be fine with the half marathon.

Sometimes its quite nice running in the rain. Once I figured out that the hat could keep the rain and the sweat out of my eyes

I'd much rather run in the rain than in windy conditions!

PS Good luck on Sunday.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I went for my first solo run since June last night. It was pretty slow (about 40 secs per k slower) compared to my PR pace but I think that a lot of that was due to it getting dark so I couldn't see the path well and had to keep changing direction to stay in lit areas, plus it was mostly on tarmac as that is where the lights were. I think I either need to go earlier/lunchtime or find a better location. It is lovely walking the dogs round the lakes in the morning but not so cool when it is all unlit at night.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I went for my first solo run since June last night. It was pretty slow (about 40 secs per k slower) compared to my PR pace but I think that a lot of that was due to it getting dark so I couldn't see the path well and had to keep changing direction to stay in lit areas, plus it was mostly on tarmac as that is where the lights were. I think I either need to go earlier/lunchtime or find a better location. It is lovely walking the dogs round the lakes in the morning but not so cool when it is all unlit at night.
    I find that running in the dark, when cars come towards me then I can't see a thing so have to slow right down. Inevitably its about then there is a step for someones driveway and I trip over it.
    That's why I normally run out in the sticks at night and use the moon to light the way. I really should use a headtorch

Just getting out there at whatever speed is what it is all about. This week I haven't run anything faster than about 8:30 min/mile (recovery run speed for me) as I had sore calfs from the weekend. Then again the longest run I have done all week is only 4 miles too.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 7th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    barbarawright
    I did a half-marathon a few weeks ago and was 41st out of 43 in my age group. But hey, I'm faster than the people on their sofas. If only I can persuade the sofas to a enter a race I might not come nearly last...
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Oct 16, 7:07 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I did a half-marathon a few weeks ago and was 41st out of 43 in my age group. But hey, I'm faster than the people on their sofas. If only I can persuade the sofas to a enter a race I might not come nearly last...
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    Doing the half marathon in the first place is a victory. Now you know you can do it And there is a good few million people that you beat on their sofas
    Well done.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 9th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Completed my 10k today. 1:14:41, last year we competed in 1:05:24.
    Not a PB, but I wasn't expecting one, just glad I did okay without enough training. Pleased with that result as I thought it would be worse.

Now I have to face the half marathon next week. I'm thinking of running 2 miles a day (with a couple of rest days) just to keep my fitness up. We shall see how that plan goes come tomorrow morning when I wake up stiff and sore.
    Last edited by x_raphael_xx; 09-10-2016 at 4:38 PM. Reason: spelling!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov Grocery Challenge £42.17/£54 Nov NSD's 05/22
    EF Challenger #36
    £8058.40/£10,000 Lose weight +2.8/10lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,378Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin