Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Breast Cancer Survivor
    • By Breast Cancer Survivor 12th Apr 14, 5:06 PM
    • 10,055Posts
    • 26,602Thanks
    Breast Cancer Survivor
    The new thoughts of the day thread
    • 12th Apr 14, 5:06 PM
    The new thoughts of the day thread 12th Apr 14 at 5:06 PM
    I thought i'd start a new fresh thread seeing as the old one was quite long & was started in January 2013. Hopefully this one will be a bit more lively.

Anyway my thought for the day is why are teenage girls more selfish than teenage boys (imo)? I swear Meg has caused me so much hassle compared to either of my boys & seems to think the world revolves around her.

I've been to Milton Keynes shopping today & omg it was so busy, i'm so glad I live in a small town as we don't get traffic jams.

I hope everyone is well & having a lovely weekend.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
Page 46
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 22nd Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 11,990 Posts
    • 46,037 Thanks
    joansgirl

Originally posted by Pyxis
    But he'd stick to the tights and could then be relocated outside.

If it was me, provided it wasn't a massive hairy one with 20 legs, I'd just grab it and evict it.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 22nd Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 6,780 Posts
    • 14,794 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    We have seen the best of our time. Machinations, hollowness, treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our graves. Find out this villain, xxxxxxx. It shall lose thee nothing. Do it carefully.—And the noble and true-hearted xxxx banished, his offense honesty! 'Tis strange, strange.

Just a thought!
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 27,245 Posts
    • 99,021 Thanks
    Pyxis
    But he'd stick to the tights and could then be relocated outside.

If it was me, provided it wasn't a massive hairy one with 20 legs, I'd just grab it and evict it.
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Noooooooooo! They're very delicate!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 27,245 Posts
    • 99,021 Thanks
    Pyxis
    We have seen the best of our time. Machinations, hollowness, treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our graves. Find out this villain, xxxxxxx. It shall lose thee nothing. Do it carefully.—And the noble and true-hearted xxxx banished, his offense honesty! 'Tis strange, strange.

Just a thought!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    Blimey!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 22nd Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,780 Posts
    • 14,794 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    No major thoughts today. I'm hungry and eager to eat, but I have to wait until 2pm with my poetry group.

Ou poet this month is quite hard, too. Pablo Neruda.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Blame pollypenny!

I was sat here musing! Wondering if I should maybe join a poetry or literary group . . .
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 22nd Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    avogadro
    Contrary to popular opinion, throwing a spider to the floor or out of the window can hurt it.

If it's not doing any harm in the lampshade, why not just leave it be?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Aren't they a bit unhygienic? I remember someone having one in his fridge, together with cobweb. The man wasn't what you'd call houseproud!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 27,245 Posts
    • 99,021 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Aren't they a bit unhygienic? I remember someone having one in his fridge, together with cobweb. The man wasn't what you'd call houseproud!
    Originally posted by avogadro
    No! It's flies that are unhygienic, and spiders get rid of them for you!

House spiders are completely harmless!

That chap's fridge can't have been at the right temperature!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 14,393 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Buy smaller ones, but continue to wear your larger ones over the top of them. One day your weight loss will reach a point that they fall down in the office revealing your new trouser size underneath. Then shout "TA-DA!", throw handfuls of photocopying up in the air and ride off in to the sunset, on a horse, with the old spice man.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I love that idea!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 22nd Jun 17, 11:31 PM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 124,658 Thanks
    zagubov
    Likewise, not sure if this counts as a thought for the day, but a house spider seems to have taken a liking to my ceiling light shade. It's been there about 3 days now. I was rather hoping it would crawl off somewhere. Normally I trap spiders under a cup and throw them out of the window, but this could prove tricky on a dangling lightshade. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by avogadro
    I used to religiously trap spiders and put them in the garden but I later learnt that they live indoors because they need the warmth and they'll die outdoors if it's cold. Plus the ones you see are the non-biting males looking for the females behind the skirting boards and they won't hurt you anyway.

As for hygiene there was an old wive's tale that you should rub cobwebs on a cut to help it heal (apparently it has some vitamin k) but of course cobwebs may have some fly remains and we all know what flies have been feeding on.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 23rd Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 11,990 Posts
    • 46,037 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I am wondering if we are a forum full of moaners.

The new irritated thread has been going only since this morning and already has 18 replies and 217 views.

What are we like?
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 23rd Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 14,393 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I am wondering if we are a forum full of moaners.

The new irritated thread has been going only since this morning and already has 18 replies and 217 views.

What are we like?
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    There's nowt wrong with a good moan, gets it off your chest!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • colinw
    • By colinw 24th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 49,335 Posts
    • 134,932 Thanks
    colinw
    Where does time go as you get older I know they say it runs quicker but with me I am sure someone is pinching chunks. I seem to be constantly looking at the clock and thinking what? Where did that 20 minutes go....
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 24th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Where does time go as you get older I know they say it runs quicker but with me I am sure someone is pinching chunks. I seem to be constantly looking at the clock and thinking what? Where did that 20 minutes go....
    Originally posted by colinw
    On that thought:-

Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 25th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I never thought that I would be using vouchers gained from doing online surveys to bulk buy dog poo bags from Argos
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 25th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 21,873 Posts
    • 55,839 Thanks
    pollypenny
    So sad and so childish, I admit! I'm jealous of the gorgeous boys' other grandmother. She sees them so often and now they're staying with her after DS has had wisdom teeth removed.

We are lucky to see them twice a year then 10 minutes a week on FaceTime otherwise. We'd have gone over to look after them. M
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Happyhousewife
    • By Happyhousewife 15th Jul 17, 12:27 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Happyhousewife
    My thought of the day is 'blimey, I can't believe this thread is still going ��

It's also sad that a lot of the old posters have disappeared ��
    • Meg x
    • By Meg x 15th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,627 Thanks
    Meg x

Originally posted by Happyhousewife
    I'm thinking of Tinks, and all of her threads that made me laugh so much..I can't believe she died at such a young age.
    ''Embrace the glorious mess that you are''

Elizabeth Gilbert

''The world is made of faith, trust, and pixie dust''
    J.M. Barrie
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Jul 17, 10:06 AM
    • 6,780 Posts
    • 14,794 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I'm thinking of Tinks, and all of her threads that made me laugh so much..I can't believe she died at such a young age.
    Originally posted by Meg x
    She always had the last word - I can't help thinking what her final retort would have been.

As someone on the other thread said ' She was no snowflake!'

• colinw
    • By colinw 15th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 49,335 Posts
    • 134,932 Thanks
    colinw

Welcome back it's been a while
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 15th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 11,990 Posts
    • 46,037 Thanks
    joansgirl

Hello you, nice to see you back again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin