Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 10th Apr 14, 7:36 PM
    • 1,133Posts
    • 6,826Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW
    • 10th Apr 14, 7:36 PM
    Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW 10th Apr 14 at 7:36 PM
    After reading so many great and inspirational diaries on here, I have finally decided to start my own! I have dithered over whether to start a MFW diary since I got the mortgage 16 months ago, because we won't actually be able to overpay anything for a few more years yet. But after receiving a gentle push in the right direction from Lois_E, Pearla*Merle, gallygirl and Goldiegirl, I am finally getting on with it

Our mortgage currently stands at £96,839.00 but will have nearly £500 interest added in a week or two

However, before we can overpay, we need to save up to extend and completely renovate our house. My current estimate for the work and target to save is around £20,000 but this will probably change when we get drawings and planning.

My main aim with this diary is to keep track of our progress. We have achieved so much in the last few years with saving a deposit, buying a house and getting engaged. I am, and always have been, a saver whereas my OH is definitely not! So I now have total control of our money (at his request)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with you all, so please say hello if you're reading I will try to post regularly to help keep me motivated!

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett

Bought our house 2012 Married 2015 Started renovating 2015
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
Page 35
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 18th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,889 Thanks
    Watty1
    hope all goes well this cycle / round
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 20th Apr 17, 5:51 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Thank you for popping in

Renovation stuff is sooo expensive isn't it?! Unfortunately we pulled our house to pieces - we basically gutted the inside and built an extension - so we have no choice but to keep on spending until it's finished It's great to see things improve and gradually tick things off the list but the J£wsons invoice is always eye-watering when it arrives

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett

Renovation fund... what renovation fund? Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 20th Apr 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hi watty

All good luck is very much appreciated

Although officially I'm trying not to get my hopes up etc etc.

xxx

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 20th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hello again

First week back at work done Yes I know it was only three days... I am mighty relieved it is over though. I've had a nearly constant headache. I've got a bit of work to do tomorrow but otherwise the workload isn't going to be too bad this weekend.

Money update:
    We are still plodding away with our £600 per month to our regular savers or 'future' savings. I'm also putting a bit into the emergency savings at the end of each month after buying the new car but there's still a way to go before it's back to the target.

We are going to a wedding in August and have arranged to take the dogs and go to Pembrokeshire for a week afterwards. We are really looking forward to some walking and probably lots of eating . All accommodation paid for but saving for spending money.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I will do a more in-depth financial update another time

It's DH's birthday today so we're going to get some chips and eat them on the beach

Janey xxx

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 23rd Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    What a lovely weekend! I hope you have all had a bit of sunshine too?

On Friday I actually went out for a friends leaving do and it was lovely to have a bit of a catch-up. Yesterday we went shopping for DHs birthday present. He wanted walking boots and ended up preferring the cheapest ones that he tried on We also had 15% off for being NT members which made it even better. We didn't do a lot of shopping as we hate it but did have a nice lunch

It's been so warm today - I even wore my shorts! We went for a nice coastal walk to try out the walking boots and it was super scorchio! We even saw three lizards sunning themselves

The dogs are now sound asleep, DH is making a roast and I've got my feet up - what a perfect weekend

Janey x

• chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 23rd Apr 17, 6:02 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Hi Ljaneyr, just been catching up with your diary. Sounds like a great weekend. Nice to have a relaxing time together. You are doing so well with all the house renovations. I struggled when we had our extension a couple of years ago so take my hat off to you and all the work you are having done. Am really enjoying following your adventures.
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - £54,780.04; 01.11.15 £49,577.04;01.03.16 £45,799.32; 01.08.16 £42,418.93; 01.10.16 £40,119.5 01.02.17 £36,584.00; 01.04.17 £34,694.71 09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017;
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 30th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hello chumpy Thanks for reading, although I can't imagine what it's like reading my whole diary. I haven't even made an overpayment yet!

What has happened to the weather? It was bucketing down this morning so hard that it set off some car alarms

Anyway, work has been busy this week and I was so glad when Friday came around! I finally got my hair cut which was a relief as they had cancelled my last appointment and it really needed it. I used my full loyalty card to claim £5 off as well.

Yesterday I went through all of my spreadsheets and updated my savings for last year which I still hadn't gotten around to doing - oops! We had managed to save 40% of our income which was great... even though we have spent most of it already
    I also added up what we have spent on the house so far which actually wasn't as bad as I thought...

Righteo, I'm off to be nosy and catch up on some diaries!

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 30th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Me again

I've updated my signature but it's a bit vague because we are in a sort of limbo with most things.

Building work is ongoing. Kitchen, bathroom and living room are mostly finished (which actually means there is a long list of jobs to do before they are complete but we can comfortably use them!). Bedrooms and upstairs WC are yet to be started. Our bedroom has working plug sockets but otherwise we are sort of camping. The other bedroom and WC are basically a shell awaiting electrics, plumbing, plastering and everything else you can think of. We are currently focusing on the outside and garden. We need a bigger shed so that the tools that are currently in the second bedroom can be stored outside allowing us to finish upstairs!
    We are way over our original budget which I now realise was totally unrealistic, but have not reached the 'we must not spend more than x' amount that I have in mind

The future fund is ticking away quietly via our regular savers and is currently at £9000 (this doesn't go very far in the world of fertility treatment). We could save more but I'm determined to do other things with our time and money and not put every penny into this very frustrating 'area' of our lives.

The emergency fund is at 40% after we bought a new car last October. I'm gradually paying this in as and when we have a bit left over.

We put money into 'pots' for the car, presents and pets as these are expenses that are hard to predict and irregular.

Finally, the pot that is my current priority is the Holiday fund We have two weekends away in the big smoke planned in May and June and an actual holiday in August which we have tagged onto travelling for a wedding. All accommodation is booked and payed for except one of the London trips. We're now saving for spending money.

Next year we want to do a proper holiday somewhere exciting (depending on what happens in the fertility department). Possible destinations include two weeks in Croatia or Sri Lanka so mucho saving will be required

I'm looking forward to having something positive to look forward to and plan and plot It will also help to have a savings goal as we have drifted a bit recently.

Thanks for reading! It was most helpful to get my thoughts out on the page, Janey x

• Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 1st May 17, 12:19 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi Janey! Wow you sound very organised! Good luck with the house, saving up and fertility treatment! Looking forward to reading your progress! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 1st May 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 34,580 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    We are way over our original budget which I now realise was totally unrealistic, but have not reached the 'we must not spend more than x' amount that I have in mind
    Originally posted by ljaneyr
    Sounds familiar except our original new kitchen budget wasn't unrealistic, we just got seduced by lots of lovely things...

I can highly recommend Sri Lanka. We went for our honeymoon - a 1 week tour of Sri Lanka followed by 1 week in the Maldives. Absolutely brilliant
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£41,500
    Current total overpayments: ~£116,750
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 8th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hi Janey! Wow you sound very organised! Good luck with the house, saving up and fertility treatment! Looking forward to reading your progress! x
    Originally posted by Jessy103
    Thanks for dropping in Jessy! Hmmm, I'm not sure there's been much progress since I started my diary but I might actually have something MFW related to report for once...

Sounds familiar except our original new kitchen budget wasn't unrealistic, we just got seduced by lots of lovely things...

I can highly recommend Sri Lanka. We went for our honeymoon - a 1 week tour of Sri Lanka followed by 1 week in the Maldives. Absolutely brilliant
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    MWC that has happened to us a bit as well, especially as our ideas about how long we might stay in this house vary hugely from time to time. Sometimes it's move asap, sometimes 5 years, sometimes 10. That seems to greatly effect how much I want to spend on something.

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 8th May 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Sooooo... I have some news of a MFW nature...are you ready? You might need to sit down before I tell you...

For the first time in more than 3 years since I started this diary, I have actually set up an overpayment on my mortgage!!!

Yep - shocking I know!

I decided to round our monthly payment up to £400 which makes a monthly OP of £33.70

Off to check out the calculator doo-daa to see how much we'll save

Edit: It says we will save £3454 in interest and shave 3 years 2 months off the length of our mortgage
    Last edited by ljaneyr; 08-05-2017 at 5:49 PM.

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 8th May 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    In other, less OP related news, we had a great weekend - one of those where you actually manage to complete a to do list.

I did a load of planning ready for next week to give myself a head start and DH completed half of the patio. The space looks so much bigger already and I can't wait until it is all finished.

I even managed to update the spreadsheets after a 20 minute phone call to FD's technical helpline to get my internet banking working again.

One small frustration is that it's turning into an expensive month, despite my best efforts, so thank goodness the 0% credit card is ready for our trip to London in a few weeks!

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 9th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    £8- ish of DVDs packed and ready to send off to one of the we-buy-any-old-tat companies.

£33 cashback requested from £co.

Other than that, today has been a bit pants so sofa and dog cuddles are needed this evening

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 13th May 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Happy weekend everyone!

It's been a busy one so far. I had a mad dash yesterday to get all of my school work done so that I could enjoy the weekend then today has been all about getting all of the household jobs ticked off so I can have a 'day off' tomorrow.

Done:
    - Mr T order
    - Called DF5 to bring it to their attention (again) that we still don't have the feet things for our new chair
    - Rang the Drs
    - Renewed a library book
    - Posted a box of DVDs
    - Booked a restaurant for mum's birthday next weekend
    - Tidied the house
    - Cleaned the bathroom
    - Cleared the rubbish out of my car
    - Washed the throws and vacuumed the sofas
    - Washed several loads of clothes
    - Washed all the dog bedding - 3 loads

And finally... I've done a workout video! I've decided to try to regain some strength and confidence in my body which I can't help but feel has let me down recently. I'm definitely looking for strong not skinny and need to be careful of my knee. Because of this, I avoided all of the jumping exercises and did things more slowly and carefully - but I did it!

Not sure where the energy has come from as I've also got a cold

Watching eurovision now and about to have some dinner

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 14th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    I wish my savings account would fill up as quickly as my washing basket! I emptied it on Friday (the washing basket not the savings account) and I have had to do another two loads of clothes today

I got up nice and early today to go riding and have just been for a lovely walk with DH and the dogs this afternoon - perfect Sunday stuff

Janey x

• smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 14th May 17, 6:40 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 27,409 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Wow you have been sooo busy.

I loved Croatia. Rjeka (sp?) and Zagreb.

Wasn't Graham Norton funny on Eurovision!
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 20th May 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Wow you have been sooo busy.

I loved Croatia. Rjeka (sp?) and Zagreb.

Wasn't Graham Norton funny on Eurovision!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    We're not sure where to go now, but hopefully Croatia or Sri Lanka!
    I really enjoyed eurovision although I did have to fast forward some of the music

This week has been stupidly busy at work. I've been late every night and I've got a cold that is hanging around and making me feel really run down. We've got a learning walk on Monday, then another one the week after half term and another the week after that. It's so frustrating wasting time preparing for visits when I could actually be doing my job!

Money - 2 x new tyres on the car £92
    - One Friday night visit to the vets for a pup with a scratched eye - we await the bill

Off to bed now, it's mum's birthday tomorrow so got to be up early.

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 2nd Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Wow! Where did the end of May go?

Work was so busy up until the end of term and I was feeling really run down but still managed to enjoy our weekend in London. I've been so tired since we got back and have been a bit lazy but have still managed to give the house a good clean, finish most of my school work and do a load of admin type jobs.

I still need to give my brother a friendly reminder to cough up what he owes me for mum's birthday and put in for some expenses at work.

Today I'm going to attempt a workout (), walk the dogs and do the mr T order. Poor DH is working late and is exhausted so I'm looking forward to having him home

Janey xxx

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 2nd Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    YIKES! I just checked to make sure and it has finally happened! We have made our first OP!!!!

It was a whopping £33.70 to round our monthly payment up to £400.

Feeling a bit smug now

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,822Posts Today

7,380Users online

Martin's Twitter