Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 10th Apr 14, 7:36 PM
    • 1,110Posts
    • 6,711Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW
    • 10th Apr 14, 7:36 PM
    Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW 10th Apr 14 at 7:36 PM
    After reading so many great and inspirational diaries on here, I have finally decided to start my own! I have dithered over whether to start a MFW diary since I got the mortgage 16 months ago, because we won't actually be able to overpay anything for a few more years yet. But after receiving a gentle push in the right direction from Lois_E, Pearla*Merle, gallygirl and Goldiegirl, I am finally getting on with it

Our mortgage currently stands at £96,839.00 but will have nearly £500 interest added in a week or two

However, before we can overpay, we need to save up to extend and completely renovate our house. My current estimate for the work and target to save is around £20,000 but this will probably change when we get drawings and planning.

My main aim with this diary is to keep track of our progress. We have achieved so much in the last few years with saving a deposit, buying a house and getting engaged. I am, and always have been, a saver whereas my OH is definitely not! So I now have total control of our money (at his request)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with you all, so please say hello if you're reading I will try to post regularly to help keep me motivated!

Janey x
    Bought our house 2012 Married 2015 Started renovating 2015
    Renovation fund 100% Emergency fund 100% Future fund £2055

"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
Page 34
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 18th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Sooo...I watched a video on fb about how you only regret the things that you didn't do, not the things you did. This got me thinking about the thing I really want to do which is travel...so now we are going to Venice for 3 nights between xmas and new year (despite having less savings now than anytime in the last 4 years ).

I fiddled around on flight comparison websites until I found the cheapest combination of destination and dates and came up with Venice. I've read that it will be cold, misty and atmospheric! I have also booked a cheap hotel with good reviews and dogs are booked into posh not-kennels where they stay in the house. Our accommodation is about £185, dogs is going to be £280

Now I just need to sort out airport parking, travel insurance and , oh yeah, change my name on my passport! This is going to be way more expensive than I initially considered but I feel like I've got something to really look forward to now

Will update properly when I've got more time,

Janey x

"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 24th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    I'm having a quiet day here (if you don't count the drilling and cutting that's going on downstairs ) while I recover from a lovely 7 mile hike yesterday!

Our new bed arrived today and is looking lovely. I can't wait until we can get the rest of the room done I'm currently wondering whether to get some storage boxes for underneath or stick with the minimalist look. This will require a massive built in wardrobe in the spare room where we can store all the carp

I've managed 8 NSDs so far this month but have had a few big spends. The latest are a winter coat for me and jumper for DH at 50% off with an extra 20% code and a microwave!

It's pretty wet here so no plans to go out except to walk the dogs later.

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 26th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Mini-moan alert:

We have failed to start a family again this month and in an attempt to stop myself getting too depressed and miserable, I arranged to go for a nice long walk tomorrow with a colleague. But that has been cancelled now as another colleague has invited all staff for tea, cake and baby chat with another colleague who is pregnant and has been off sick

So I won't be going and will be trying not to feel lonely and left out of life in general

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 26th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    I would just like to add that I really don't mean to be a miserable cow.

Shall I buy myself an ipad to help me feel better?

• smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 26th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 19,522 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    No. Don't buy the iPad yet.
    Hugs for you and sympathy. It is a horrible feeling.xxx
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 26th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Thanks SHS, I won't buy the ipad yet Although I have been considering it for over a year. I may give in next month though.

I know I don't always feel like this, but when I do I feel like I'm not living my life but just surviving. I'm so ready to move onto the next step and have a family.

Anyway, today I am grateful for my DH, my friend and her ponies, my dogs and hot chocolate

• suebrayj
    • By suebrayj 26th Oct 16, 10:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    suebrayj
    hello I'm a newbie too but prior to starting my diary i have managed to save £400 just on switching a few bills reviewing mobile phone contracts. I've even go tmy 73 year old dad at it with a massive £65 a month save from switching energy. All thanks to my sister who is an old MSE convert and nagged me for several months before I took up the mantle. Good luck.
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 27th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 2,490 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Watty1
    Yay for ponies dogs and hot chocolate.
    Hugs. It will happen in the end. Its just getting to the end that is the difficult bit.
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 27th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hi suebrayj, thanks for popping in

Thank you Watty. You've hit the nail on the head! Now where is my crystal ball? If I could find that I could finally relax!

I'm feeling a bit better today. I dragged myself and the dogs (they really didn't want to get up!) to the beach this morning and felt much better for it. Now in my slippers and joggers with no plans to leave the house again today. Bliss.

x

• slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 28th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 12,902 Posts
    • 73,223 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    I don't know what to say, really, but just to say that it will get better everything happens for a reason, though it's difficult at the time. Take care of yourself xx
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / Dec NSD - 2/15 / Ultimate Dream Fund - £10,417.97/£306,000
    Engaged 14/08/10 // Married 31/03/12 // DS born August 15
    • ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 28th Oct 16, 10:18 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Thanks SF - there really is nothing to say I just don't think I can avoid feeling like this. Although I refuse to believe everything happens for a reason - if that was the case I must have done something awful in a past life

Keeping busy today and trying to think of options long term if it doesn't work out the way we hope.

Unfortunate measuring error by DH has resulted in us having to buy another two windows for £350 When I say measuring error, it looks like he didn't measure them at all but used a very old quote we got from a doorstep selling company

Oh well, we do have a new front door finally - and it actually shuts!

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 6th Nov 16, 9:41 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Need to do a proper update at some point !

The plan for November is to batten down the hatches and keep a very close eye on our spending.

I'm going to record all spends except direct debits either here or in a notebook to motivate me.

Today I bought new home insurance for £151 which is about £40 less than last year, despite the addition of accidental damage cover. This is probably because the house is now in 'a good state of repair' and has locks on the windows!

I'm counting today as a NSD though because the payment hasn't left the account yet

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 7th Nov 16, 10:06 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Today's spending:

Me - Airport parking booked for £27.51

DH - Pharmacy £16
    - oranges £2.50 (I forgot to put these on the Mr T order)
    - bacon roll and coffee £3

I also applied and was approved for a new 0% credit card as our current one ends in Dec. I only use it for internet purchases and emergencies so feel a bit safer knowing that a new on is on the way. I went for the AA one and the £35 cashback will be very welcome

We have decided that the house is finally at a point where we can start using our posh white towels which were a Christmas present about four years ago

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 11th Nov 16, 10:42 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    What a week! We had a practice ofsted yesterday and I've been stressing about it all week. When I got home yesterday I was so tired I could barely see straight.

Spending for this week:

Tuesday
    Me - NSD
    DH - snack and a drink £2.15
    - petrol for using his work car £10.07

Wednesday
    Both of us - NSD

Thursday
    Paid bill for building materials approx £160
    DH - £2 coffee from MacDs - not sure I believe it was just a coffee!

So I'm counting another two NSDs (for me) taking the total to 4 so far. I think we can see where our supply of cash is going!

Went to the Dr on Wed to talk about my headaches and she was very thorough and eventually agreed it is tension headaches and nothing worse. She was very sympathetic about all the stress we are under which strangely made me feel a bit better.

I'm going to take the dogs to the beach in a bit and then have a load of planning to do. I'm trying to avoid looking at the mess and cleaning that needs doing!

Janey x

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 12th Nov 16, 6:49 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    I was so tired yesterday! I missed yoga (saving £8) and went to be beach with the dogs instead. I used my new national trust card to park for free.

I paid in a cheque of £108.75 car tax refund but still not sure if it will be accepted as the DVLA made it out in my maiden name!

Spends over the last two days:
    New passport (I think) £85.50
    Travel insurance: £9.68
    Mr T order £42.61 which is well below our target of £50.

I'm generally doing OK with the spending ban but have been researching things that I will buy at the beginning of December like a storage box to keep the recycling dry in the garden!
    Annoyingly I can only find one photo so will need to get more before I can send it off. I think we're all set for the holiday now. I just need to get the passport stuff sent off, remember to check-in and away we go!
    Last edited by ljaneyr; 12-11-2016 at 6:51 PM.

• ljaneyr
    • By ljaneyr 26th Nov 16, 6:23 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    ljaneyr
    Hello again

This week has been awful but I think we're out the other side now, thankfully!

Its been a spendy few days again but nothing to do with bloomin' Black Friday! I did actually benefit from the hype though as I ordered our usual dog food and treats with an extra 10% off yesterday. Obviously we would have bought this anyway!

After several trips to the store (D. F. S) and many hours on the internet we have finally chosen and ordered our new sofas Unfortunately not the cheapest as the cheaper ones were too big, but I much prefer the fabric on the ones we are getting. Annoyingly they weren't in the sale either but I am happy with our choice for the space we have.

Mr T order completed today was more expensive than usual and many of our regular items were reduced so I stocked up. Also booked our C*******s delivery slot

Anyway, DH is out with his band so I'm home alone. Going to enjoy myself and clean the bathroom and floors

Hope everyone is well. I will try to catch up with your diaries later,

Janey x

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 27th Nov 16, 8:22 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you Janey, after reading your update I've just checked and the delivery slots are there for $ains too! Slot has now been booked

Have a good Sunday.
    • BachSoon
    • By BachSoon 30th Nov 16, 11:41 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    BachSoon
    Hi Janey

I've binge read your diary over the last few days and just wanted to thank you for the interesting read. I identify with your goals and the pic she the new doggie is utterly adorable. You seem to have it all set out in terms of a plan to achieve it and I shall be reading with interest
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

20Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter