Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 7th Apr 14, 3:24 PM
    • 8,307Posts
    • 47,302Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    The Big Adventure
    • 7th Apr 14, 3:24 PM
    The Big Adventure 7th Apr 14 at 3:24 PM
    For the last week or so, I’ve been hanging around the MFW board, looking at peoples diaries, and adding a couple of comments here and there.
    One thing has struck me, that everyone is focussed on their goals, but is keen to be enjoying life while they are on their journey.
    I’m at a different stage of my life, as I paid my mortgage off a few years ago. But the things that all the MFW-ers are doing are the same sort of things that I’m doing in my preparations for my early retirement.
    I had wanted to start a diary at the start of this year, but felt a bit shy, as my mortgage had been paid off.
    What I did do was join the 2014 Frugal Living Challenge, which has been very helpful, and I thank everyone on that thread, which I will continue participating in.
    However, after reading the MFW diaries, I saw that there are people in the same life situation as me with diaries, so I realised that to a certain extent, MFW is a state of mind, as well as actually clearing a mortgage.
    With that thought in mind, I decided that it’s the right time for me to start my diary. I want to keep all my thoughts in one place, as it’ll be easier for me to refer back to later. Also, it’ll be good for organising myself – I like a few lists, and at the moment my lists are ad hoc pieces of paper all over the house!
    If all goes to plan, this time next year will see me in my final days at work. I feel excited about the future, and feel I’m at the brink of a new stage in my life – hence the title of my diary, The Big Adventure!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Page 109
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 22nd Sep 16, 1:50 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 18,962 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi Goldie

So pleased you had a good trip - sounds lovely.

Your investments sound very good - and I think you are very brave doing it yourself - but I think I will be the same.

Good to see you popping back on here - miss your posts.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Sep 16, 9:42 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi Goldie - you've obviously pots to do, even if a day inside the house does send you a bit stir crazy - the cruises sound so good - what a brilliant way to visit Australia, I really like the sound of that. As well as your method of research and fund picking, good for you
    Next one is in February, on Aurora. It's the 'big' one, and will fulfil my lifetime dream of going to Australia. Will have to start making a plan of action soon, as I'll need a new passport and need to make sure we have all visas etc. Plus work out how we can pack for 6 weeks with one case each!

When the sun shines, and we have the back door open the atmosphere of the day is so much nicer when we can go in and out of the garden when we want.

When the weather is dull and wet, it feels very different. I always find something to do, but it sometimes feels 'wrong' to be cooped up in the house. I like being home, but it's much better in the good weather.

As for investment advice....

I started off looking at the Monevator site, to get a feel for how to make up a portfolio.

When I started looking at funds, it was overwhelming as there are so many.

In the end, the best place was the Hargreaves Landsdown site, in the pensions and retirement section. They give sample portfolios, and I ended up putting my own together, half way between 'conservative' and 'medium risk' by mixing and matching funds and adjusting the percentages. I did it over a few days as it was a bit mind blowing!

Good luck with it, as it's a big task, but I felt happier doing it myself rather than getting an IFA involved
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    Hi Goldie

So pleased you had a good trip - sounds lovely.

Your investments sound very good - and I think you are very brave doing it yourself - but I think I will be the same.

Good to see you popping back on here - miss your posts.

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 16th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,302 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    We really like Auroura, how amazing going to Australia! Can I be really nosey and ask what type of cabin you go for on a long cruise like this, the difference in price is very large for a balcony but I'm not sure about being inside/outside for a longer cruise. Or perhaps you are so busy visiting places it doesn't matter?

Hope you don't mind me asking, I am planning lots of trips for the future in my head
    Originally posted by newgirly
    We looked at outside cabins and balcony cabins. The balcony cabin cost about £6000 more for the two of us, so we decided to go for a window cabin instead, so we could feel as if we have money to spend on excursions etc. The inside cabin is prob about another £5000 cheaper still, but for a long cruise like this, we felt we'd enjoy having at least a window.

There's quite a few sea days, and it's nice to put your feet up in your cabin sometimes, so felt the window on the world would be the best choice for us.

There's a lot to think about, just sent off for my new passport, then will need new ESTA for USA and visas for Australia. Also looking at the excursions as they are now online.

Part of my always freaks out about all the preparation, especially on this scale, but the rest of me is excited as it's something I've always dreamed of.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 16th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,302 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    It's been a while since I've been on here, but apart from holiday preparation, I'm doing some writing, and it's gets all consuming when you get stuck in.

My cousin Michael, in Canada, is writing his memoirs. He's had an interesting life as he's lived all over the world working in the oil industry, then decided to go to university to study history later on in his life. He's currently a history lecturer in a Canadian university

Although he's 17 years older than me, we have a lot of childhood experiences in common. My parents took over the tenancy of their house from my great aunt and uncle when they died. When Michael was growing up he spent a lot of time there, as he was very close to our great aunt and uncle.

He sent me his draft of that period of time, and it sparked off so many memories. Some of the things he had mentioned I never knew about, but there were other things I knew more than him about.

Plus, I've done a lot of family history work, so I have lots of dates to confirm when things happened

So I got writing, and he's going to add some of my my recollections to his story.

I've still got some writing that I want to do, but I've done the bulk of it now.

Financially, the Sipp has gone up by £1500 in a month. But this is more down to the state of the pound than any expertise on my part.

We've had confirmation of Mr Goldie's state pension amount, to start at the end of the month. £195.02 per month. This is big money for us, and will make a lot of difference. Hopefully, we'll save most of it, and it will go towards holidays and larger purchases of things that we'll need. It means he'll start paying tax again, however.

Not so good, the state of interest rates. I've had notification of the reduction in the TSB rate, and I've heard that the Halifax reward is going down to £3 per month.

We also have some fixed term accounts maturing in February, so the rates we get on that money will drop like a stone.

It has been good while it's lasted, and I will try and get the best rate that I can, but I'm not going to go mad swoping money around for a small additional amount of interest. There comes a point where the effort involved to return received ratio makes it not worth it.

Still getting a lot of walking done, as the weather is still very nice
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You're writing too now! Yay I like the "getting stuck in" part - I'm a bit bad at that, I start opening other software ...

I'm glad you're still getting out walking, it's so beautiful outside right now (when it isn't tipping it down ...)
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 18,962 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    All very exciting Goldie with the writing and the holiday preparations.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 18th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 2,490 Posts
    • 17,593 Thanks
    Watty1
    Love reading about the holidays. Living a retired life via your thread
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 18th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Australia cruise sounds amazing. Six weeks with one case, and presumably lots of different weather, is a real challenge though. Good luck with that! I feel like you about the efficiency of money shuffling with such low rates. As the different accounts reduce their rates I am gradually consolidating into the remaining higher payers, not that they are that great! But spending time shuffling for the sake of a few pennies is silly.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 30th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,302 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Hello everyone!

I've finished my writing for the time being at least, it's a relief to get it out of my head, on to the page.

I 've transferred part of my tax allowance to Mr Goldie, now that he will be a tax payer again. I did it online, and it was very easy.

Mr Goldie became an official old age pensioner last Thursday. The first bit of pension will hit our bank account on Tuesday and thereafter every four weeks.

The say they'll automatically tell his tax office about the state pension. All these changes will probably take a bit of time to bed in, so will have to keep an eye on it.

As we now feel a bit more flush with the money, we've been buying a few things we have put off, such as a new winter coat for me. Now we need a cold winter so I can get some wear out of it!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations to Mr Goldie!

What are you going to do with what you've written, Goldie? Is it mostly in support of your cousin, or something of your own?
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 30th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    And congratulations on the new coat! I have found over the last few years that it is rarely cold enough to wear my big coat, especially out walking as you get so warm with the exercise! Lovely to have when using trains and waiting around though. Enjoy it!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 8th Nov 16, 3:29 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,302 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    The writing started off as a support for my cousin, but I think I'll end up 'polishing' it, and adding to it as a basis for my own life story. Some of the things that have happened in the family have been very interesting, so I may even use it as a basis for a fictionalised family story.

In 2004, after my dad died, I wrote a couple of long stories/short novellas, as it gave me something else to think about. I cant pretend they were any good, but it took my mind off things, and I posted them on a fiction website, and got some nice feedback. it's just a hobby thing, from time to time.

Mr Goldie heard from his tax office - they confirmed that 10 % of my tax allowance had been transferred to him and his new tax code now that he's got his state pension. I checked it, and its right, so that's a bonus.

I've been keeping a close eye on my two Tesco current accounts and Mr Goldie' Tesco current account. Fortunately we have not been affected by the recent fraud, but its very unsettling. It's such a huge data breach. I hope they will be honest and tell us exactly what happened.

Yesterday, we had a smart meter installed for the gas and electric. These smart meters are to be rolled out to everyone by 2020, but we applied to have ours done, to get it out of the way.

You get little gadget so you can monitor you usage and set yourself targets or limits. It tells you the cost of the energy you use each day, which is interesting, and could be very helpful for those who are budgeting.

We went to Canterbury last week to see Woman in Black at the Marlowe Theatre, which was chilling, much better than the film. I found the end of the play very unsettling.

Now the clocks have gone back, I find myself looking inward towards the home, but the weather is still nice enough for a bit of walking, hopefully will be able to keep this up over the winter period.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 8th Nov 16, 5:55 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    The writing sounds really interesting, do let us know if you publish online as I would like to read it. I saw the play of 'The Woman in Black' in London and found it terrifying in parts! I went a second time with a school trip and was still scared. A really good production. Glad you enjoyed it.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Nov 16, 9:38 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 25,857 Thanks
    AlexLK
    That's good news re. the extra £200 per month from Mr G's pension.

The writing sounds very interesting. At the moment I am collecting some old photos and writing down my father's memories. I never knew any of his family as he chose to become estranged from them at a young age. Recently, he's become quite reminiscent of the past and wants to tell me about his life rather than hiding the truth about his family / past. Only today I took him to see the street he grew up on as a child and we took some photos.
    Savings 2016: £9,790.
    £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013. Debt free on 12/1/2015.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 14th Nov 16, 2:20 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 47,302 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    The writing sounds really interesting, do let us know if you publish online as I would like to read it. I saw the play of 'The Woman in Black' in London and found it terrifying in parts! I went a second time with a school trip and was still scared. A really good production. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel

As we went to the theatre on a Thursday afternoon, there were a few school parties there, and they all seemed to enjoy it, although the boys in front of me were watching it through their hands at some points

That's good news re. the extra £200 per month from Mr G's pension.

The writing sounds very interesting. At the moment I am collecting some old photos and writing down my father's memories. I never knew any of his family as he chose to become estranged from them at a young age. Recently, he's become quite reminiscent of the past and wants to tell me about his life rather than hiding the truth about his family / past. Only today I took him to see the street he grew up on as a child and we took some photos.
    Originally posted by AlexLK

I previously quoted the pension amount wrong, it's £200 a WEEK more, not £200 a month! So it seems like mega bucks.

I'm glad you are talking to your father about his family history. I talked to my parents quite a bit about family stories, but since I've been actively tracing our family history, there is so much more I would like to ask, but no longer have the opportunity. Also it'll be nice for you to pass on the stories to your son.

The smart meter we had installed last week is excellent. You can enter a daily target or limit, and if it thinks you are going to exceed the limit a red light will come on. So it makes you think about turning lights off etc.

Apart from that it's all fairly quiet.

I've renewed my passport and got the ESTA for the USA and the Visas for Australia. It's all done fairly simply online, but it's a bit traumatic, as you always think they are not going to allow you in to their country! Slightly less than three months to go, before we leave on our trip of a lifetime.

We're going to see a live version of the Railway Children in London on Wednesday, so it should be good
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Nov 16, 3:17 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 52,342 Thanks
    greent
    I've seen The Woman in Black twice at the theatre - the first time years ago in London - it's a brilliant play. The film isn't bad - but the play is better (imo)

Amazing news on the pension! - Loads of extra money!!!

xx
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £778.60/£500
    Dec grocery spends £0/ £480 NSDs 4/12
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Nov 16, 5:41 PM
    • 16,046 Posts
    • 105,244 Thanks
    gallygirl
    We're going to see a live version of the Railway Children in London on Wednesday, so it should be good
    Daddy, my daddy . Enjoy

I saw Woman in Black years ago, scared the bejesus out of me! I have the book on my Kindle but not brave enough to read it .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 14th Nov 16, 7:34 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    I loved The Railway Children. So glad it is back on. Just pure escapist loveliness! Have a great time.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Nov 16, 3:47 PM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,128 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The writing sounds really interesting, do let us know if you publish online as I would like to read it.
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Me too, please!

Originally posted by AlexLK
    Photos are amazing in family history! We have some snaps from the 1930s, when the family took a 20 minute train ride and my grandad pitched a tent in a farmer's field, and the whole family lived there for the whole of the school holidays.

And pride of place is the earliest photo I have, a wedding photo taken in 1903, it's very poignant.

I previously quoted the pension amount wrong, it's £200 a WEEK more, not £200 a month! So it seems like mega bucks.
    Thats amazing, I'm chuffed for you both!

I'm glad you are talking to your father about his family history. I talked to my parents quite a bit about family stories, but since I've been actively tracing our family history, there is so much more I would like to ask, but no longer have the opportunity.
    I feel that too, but at least I started so young that I got to ask my grandparents the questions too

I've renewed my passport and got the ESTA for the USA and the Visas for Australia. It's all done fairly simply online, but it's a bit traumatic, as you always think they are not going to allow you in to their country! Slightly less than three months to go, before we leave on our trip of a lifetime.
    Thats going to be brilliant, I just know it. You globe trotter, you

I must be the only person here that it never really spoke to I liked it, but thats all
    Retired August 2016

Save
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

993Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PPI deadline decision's just been delayed until first quarter of 2017, it was due this year. For free help now go to https://t.co/EqDQvgRZ2K

• RT @juliegroves49: @GMB @MartinSLewis thanks got my soap & glory glam sets which was half price at boots today thanks or all the tips xmas?

• RT @ckrd: @MartinSLewis Just bagged my Soap and Glory Set £30.00 instead of £60, thanks for the reminder in your email. Another one off the?

• Follow Martin