Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 487
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Jul 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    The vendor has an appointment to sign the contract and transfer of deeds next Friday so we are hoping to exchange before then.

Originally posted by LuckyG
    You won't be able to exchange contracts before the vendor of the property you are buying has signed the contract.
    • Neonitrix
    • By Neonitrix 14th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Neonitrix
    Current update on our purchase is we have our draft contract we have the solicitor doing searches as we speak the valuation survey on the house we are buying (82 years old) mentioned damp on ground floor and asbestos content in the house but neither blocked the full mortgage offer.

We have since decided to have a full survey completed which will be done next week cant afford to make a mistake as this house is our forever zero as we are starting late in life and I don't want to have to work forever.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Well... Still waiting. Can't get a good indication of what the delay is - my solicitors and my sellers' ones are just waiting for the word from up the chain to exchange, but noone I can talk to has any idea what the hold-up is.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 14th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Email chain between me and my solicitor:

me, 16:40 "Would I be right in thinking this probably isn't happening today, given the lack of updates?"

her, 16:41 "No! I was just about to call you, we exchanged 3 minutes ago!"

Wait... does this make me an adult now? :P

Edit: Completion on the 28th. Will be back here with moving stories as they happen (one on the 21st when I move out, and one on the 28th when I move in!)
    Last edited by DumbMuscle; 14-07-2017 at 4:53 PM.
    • CalamityJane1969
    • By CalamityJane1969 14th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    CalamityJane1969
    Email chain between me and my solicitor:

me, 16:40 "Would I be right in thinking this probably isn't happening today, given the lack of updates?"

her, 16:41 "No! I was just about to call you, we exchanged 3 minutes ago!"

Wait... does this make me an adult now? :P

Edit: Completion on the 28th. Will be back here with moving stories as they happen (one on the 21st when I move out, and one on the 28th when I move in!)
    Originally posted by DumbMuscle
    Congratulations! At least someone has had some good news today. Why do estate agents/solicitors always wait until 4.50 on a Friday afternoon to deliver news that really ups the stress levels?
    • browneyone
    • By browneyone 14th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    browneyone
    I had a call and a series of emails from my solicitor today.

Exchange on 17th or 18th and then completion on 24th is the plan.
    • By 02346631 14th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    So having spent over a year trying to buy a house and with 4 properties falling through, I'm closing in on my 5th now. It's the closest I've been for sure, I've received my mortgage offer through and just really waiting on the survey which I'm confident will be ok. Not sure where the vendors are up to yet, it was about a month after my offer was accepted that they found a property themselves but there's no chain so that's promising.

I've had such a bad experience that I'm not allowing myself to get too hopeful yet but I do find myself looking at furniture etc then realise what I'm doing and quickly stopping haha. I'm going to chase up with my solicitor next week to get an idea of how far we are to exchanging, the booze is on ice for that moment let me tell you!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 24,263 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Congratulations DumbMuscle. We are in - back with a moving story when 4g is better and I can be sure of not losing it!
    • houndour
    • By houndour 15th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    houndour
    Still waiting. Getting annoyed now. Feel like buyers are messing about. I keep getting told it's all normal. Every day lost now is a day lost packing. Either that or our completion date will move. Or the whole thing will collapse.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 15th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    kilby_007
    So having spent over a year trying to buy a house and with 4 properties falling through, I'm closing in on my 5th now. It's the closest I've been for sure, I've received my mortgage offer through and just really waiting on the survey which I'm confident will be ok. Not sure where the vendors are up to yet, it was about a month after my offer was accepted that they found a property themselves but there's no chain so that's promising.

I've had such a bad experience that I'm not allowing myself to get too hopeful yet but I do find myself looking at furniture etc then realise what I'm doing and quickly stopping haha. I'm going to chase up with my solicitor next week to get an idea of how far we are to exchanging, the booze is on ice for that moment let me tell you!
    Originally posted by 02346631
    Pretty much identical situation to us! We've been 20 months searching. I think we're on number 5 too (the others we found out had structural/flooding/other issues after we had our offer accepted!) The one we landed on needs a lot of work and isn't the most cost efficient option but we feel it's the right one. We've had survey done and mortgage approved. So far so good! Now the waiting game for local searches to come back. It's been just over a week now I think since they were applied for. Not sure how long to expect to wait...
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 24,263 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Moving Day

So after a comedy of errors (dog did a poo in the office on being delivered to kennels, DH's car broke down blocking access to removers, DS came down with a stomach bug) we were packed mostly by the movers on Wednesday and completed on Friday.

Three chaps and one lorry came at 8 am, worked like dogs for four hourz while we cleaned around them. By 11 I had the call to say keys were available for the new place.

We left at 12, removers to fetch the other lorry and us to get the keys. No hassle, arrived at the new place at ten past one, removers ten minutes behind us.

They continued to work like dogs for another four hours while we unpacked what we could while trying to stay out of their way.

My parents brought the kids home by then and we were drinking champagne out of teacups by 6pm.

Today we fetched dog and pony home and got loads of unpacking done. Very grateful to be finally in after a two year journey.

We had a stunning bouquet from our agent and some promotional mugs and pens from the seller's agent!

Both houses were left in the same conditions - vacuumed with clean bathrooms and kitchens but not impeccable.

I am never doing it again!!
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 15th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    dancing_star
    Great story, thanks for sharing that SHS! I do like the champagne in teacups.

Happy new home!
    • nikongirl
    • By nikongirl 16th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    nikongirl
    Congratulations to everyone who's exchanged and/or moved in the last few days. Great moving story, smallholdingsister - especially the dog's dirty protest at being left in the kennels!

A thick envelope full of stuff from mysolicitors arrived yesterday including all the important documentation of the previous renovation works, receipts and guarantees for the underpinning etc. and what's the first thing I do? Flick straight to the fixtures and fittings to make sure they've remembered to include the £2k range cooker! The house might fall down but at least I'll be able to cook 8 pizzas at once!
    Debt at LBM 3/14: £27661 £11878 | £500 Overdraft | £2275 Council Tax | £910 CCJ | £800 Overdraft | £1800 Marbles | £7580 5283 Egg | £14735 6155 Family
    Quidco Earnings 11/06-03/15: £330
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 16th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    sulphate
    Congratulations to everyone who has moved in the last few weeks!

I have come here to moan!
    Put house on market end of February
    Accepted offer beginning of March
    Found house and had our offer accepted mid March
    Instructed our solicitors mid March
    Mortgage offer came through beginning of April
    Our buyer pulled out mid April
    Put house back on market mid April
    Accepted offer beginning of May
    Vendors finally instructed their solicitors beginning of May
    Survey and searches all back by end of May
    All enquiries on house we are selling responded to by mid June
    Enquiries raised on house we are buying in early June and finally heard back early July
    New enquiries raised last week.... etc etc

I am so bored of this process already!! We immediately started getting house up to scratch, decorated, decluttered etc after Christmas so basically it's taken the whole of this year so far to get to this point. We are really hoping to move by end of August before our mortgage offer expires and DH is a teacher so moving in the summer hols would be preferable but he's also been called to jury service end of August!!

I will be chasing everyone in the next couple of days again and am going to start being more persistent. We have well and truly outgrown this house and can't wait to move!!
    Last edited by sulphate; 16-07-2017 at 1:25 PM.
    • LadyL2013
    • By LadyL2013 16th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    LadyL2013
    At the stage where draft contracts are being signed and looked over by my vendor and me. Searches complete. Generally after drafts are agreed, how long until you receive a completion date or is it 'How long is a piece of string' thing?
    • karl1989
    • By karl1989 17th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    karl1989

Originally posted by 02346631
    we went out on a whim and bought furniture last week from Oak Furniture Land in the sale thinking we would be in by 15th latest,
    now had to call them and ask for delivery date which was agreed for 27th july to be changed til August mid as we have to decorate first anyway, but shows you when solicitors and agents tell you it will definitley be wrapped up in July cause it is a small chain..... well they not filling me with any confidence.
    i shouldn't have ordered the furntiure or the flooring for that matter.
    When the chips are down, go for broke and put them all on Red!
    • karl1989
    • By karl1989 17th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    karl1989
    Pretty much identical situation to us! We've been 20 months searching. I think we're on number 5 too (the others we found out had structural/flooding/other issues after we had our offer accepted!) The one we landed on needs a lot of work and isn't the most cost efficient option but we feel it's the right one. We've had survey done and mortgage approved. So far so good! Now the waiting game for local searches to come back. It's been just over a week now I think since they were applied for. Not sure how long to expect to wait...
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    comparing to our situation currently then you are atleast 6 weeks from completion.
    • karl1989
    • By karl1989 17th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    karl1989
    At the stage where draft contracts are being signed and looked over by my vendor and me. Searches complete. Generally after drafts are agreed, how long until you receive a completion date or is it 'How long is a piece of string' thing?
    Originally posted by LadyL2013
    we are at same stage as you,
    lets keep each other posted.

we sent our signed contracts over on Friday so not sure if the rest of the chain has signed theirs yet i assume not.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 17th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    LuckyG
    I've paid my full deposit today (28%), the seller is signing the contract and transfer deeds on Friday so hoping to exchange soon after.

My solicitor is hopeful that we can complete next week
    • By 02346631 17th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    It's a complete nightmare this business, isn't it! Keeping everything crossed it goes well for you. My searches were submitted 3 weeks ago now and they aren't all in yet. I think the norm is 2 weeks though so hopefully you'll get them soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin