Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 485
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 11th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    My current landlord has agreed to let me use the garage for the gap between the end of tenancy and completion - which saves me a lot of faff getting things to a storage locker! Tonight, I begin packing, and working out what I want to get rid of before moving so I can pass things on to friends who might want them (and minimise the amount I need to take to the dump!)
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 11th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    bounderboy
    Moving in Friday - how do I transfer Broadband/Phone Line
    Moving in Friday - how do I transfer Broadband/Phone Line

If anyone knows how to help could you answer my thread here please

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677932
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 11th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    bounderboy
    Top tip make sure Vendor doesn't cease your phone line before you move in.

Once a cease is put on the phone line you can't activate a new phone line until the cease is complete. Which could be a month after you move in.

If you put an order in for when you move then the provision is ceased with Vendor automatically without delay.

Another downside of Vendor ceasing the line is once it is ceased you have to now pay for a "new connection" rather than an often free transfer :-(

I just found out hard way!
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 11th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Another day and still no closer to exchange. My solicitor received correspondence this morning from the vendors solicitor but none of the queries were acknowledged apparently. So I have no idea what the "correspondence" was in relation to.

The EA did email me this afternoon and said the vendor has arranged to see their solicitor a week Friday to sign. I don't see how that can be if the queries with my solicitor aren't satisfied.
    Maybe they're planning on having the queries replied to by then.

If it is the case then I'm happy to exchange a week Friday, it's later than I'd like but I'm in no immediate rush, although I don't want to be waiting indefinitely.

I've told the EA that there are other potential properties that we could see and that I'm not willing to wait forever for this house (although I really do want it).
    I don't want to start playing that card but things just aren't moving for us and I'm not going to make myself appear desperate to have this house.

EA came back to me with "the vendors are equally frustrated, they want the house sold ASAP, it's their solicitors that's causing the delay and we're almost there".

Even my solicitor has said that this is taking far too long.
    • nikongirl
    • By nikongirl 11th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    nikongirl
    Sent a quick email today asking for a further viewing so I can sort furniture before completion, and asking what kind of bulbs the light fittings take, since Amazon have the Philips Hue bulbs on sale today! Also ordered a load of other stuff which was on my list for the house anyway (all ordered to my parents' house, so I only have to move it once)
    Originally posted by DumbMuscle
    I also spotted the Hue bulbs on Amazon just before the ones I need sold out. The place I'm trying to buy was renovated by an electrician and he's LED'd the living daylights out of the place. There are probably about 20 bulbs in the kitchen/living room ceiling alone, not to mention the ones in the kitchen kickboards. I'm just hoping IKEA make their smart bulbs properly Zigbee compatible so I can easily add those into my current Hue setup.
    Debt at LBM 3/14: £27661 £11878 | £500 Overdraft | £2275 Council Tax | £910 CCJ | £800 Overdraft | £1800 Marbles | £7580 5283 Egg | £14735 6155 Family
    Quidco Earnings 11/06-03/15: £330
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 11th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    Ggrrrrrr!!!! No exchange again!!! But from vendors solicitor it says expected date of exchange 28th.....no that's completion, and top of chain is happy to complete on 28th but is actually moving out on the 27th (long commute for them and daughter bday on 28th) but they aren't going to go anywhere if exchange isn't down are they, wouldn't blame them! I need this exchange done so I can sleep and relax and start gettin excited about the move!! We are away this weekend and I really want it done so it's not on my mind all wkend! I'm buggin my solicitor, who is leaving them messages, I'm buggin the estate agent who keeps callin them, what else can I do besides screaming lol
    • houndour
    • By houndour 11th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    houndour
    We're still waiting.

Got another quote for moving...£700. which is great as now if the other company is booked up then I have a back up.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 11th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    LuckyG
    I'm feeling a little better tonight after choosing some light fittings and saving them to my bookmarks

I've even done a little more packing.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    kilby_007
    We've made some progress. We had a general structural inspection carried out last week - all good! Our mortgage valuation matched our offer and has been approved, there were no surprises on the TA6 form, and we're just waiting on the local searches now and for our solicitor to raise enquiries. There is one small snag - the property has an unregistered title so we have to make a first registration at the land registry which will cost us an additional £135 but the solicitor said this shouldn't cause any significant delay, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for exchange when I arrive home from work in a few weeks, although I recongise that is hugely optimistic, given that we're only 2-3 weeks in, but everything has happened relatively fast so far. Our solicitor (Pepperells in Hull) has been very responsive, quite impressed so far!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 11th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Our removals are coming to pack tomorrow!
    • karl1989
    • By karl1989 12th Jul 17, 9:05 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    karl1989
    Ggrrrrrr!!!! No exchange again!!! But from vendors solicitor it says expected date of exchange 28th.....no that's completion, and top of chain is happy to complete on 28th but is actually moving out on the 27th (long commute for them and daughter bday on 28th) but they aren't going to go anywhere if exchange isn't down are they, wouldn't blame them! I need this exchange done so I can sleep and relax and start gettin excited about the move!! We are away this weekend and I really want it done so it's not on my mind all wkend! I'm buggin my solicitor, who is leaving them messages, I'm buggin the estate agent who keeps callin them, what else can I do besides screaming lol
    Originally posted by Glbooth3
    with regard to "bugging your solicitor" i was doing this nearly everyday up until yesterday when i was told that they will add charges for every time they correspond with you, i was told approx £20 minum every time!
    i am starting to dislike this game......
    When the chips are down, go for broke and put them all on Red!
    • Branchini1979
    • By Branchini1979 12th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Branchini1979
    FINALLY exchanged yesterday after near 17 weeks of the process. Have a horrible feeling our vendor never had an intention of completing when myself and my buyer wanted but we are here now, now to book removals and sort out all utilities!!
    Completion on 21st July
    • karl1989
    • By karl1989 12th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    karl1989
    We've made some progress. We had a general structural inspection carried out last week - all good! Our mortgage valuation matched our offer and has been approved, there were no surprises on the TA6 form, and we're just waiting on the local searches now and for our solicitor to raise enquiries. There is one small snag - the property has an unregistered title so we have to make a first registration at the land registry which will cost us an additional £135 but the solicitor said this shouldn't cause any significant delay, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for exchange when I arrive home from work in a few weeks, although I recongise that is hugely optimistic, given that we're only 2-3 weeks in, but everything has happened relatively fast so far. Our solicitor (Pepperells in Hull) has been very responsive, quite impressed so far!
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    Hi, from my current dealings, especially in certain districts in Leicestershire at the moment, Local Searches are taking around 5-7 weeks to come in.
    so not sure what your district is like but if it is as busy as Leicestershire these could be taking quite a while, its been 5 weeks for the people below us and they still aren't near to getting the local searches in yet! though i would let the people at early stages know..
    of course does depend on your district and how busy they are. good luck
    • karl1989
    • By karl1989 12th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    karl1989
    FINALLY exchanged yesterday after near 17 weeks of the process. Have a horrible feeling our vendor never had an intention of completing when myself and my buyer wanted but we are here now, now to book removals and sort out all utilities!!
    Completion on 21st July
    Originally posted by Branchini1979
    Congratulations! nice to hear some good news, let us know how the moving in goes!
    hopefully you get the keys at a reasonable time and get your stuff in and can chill with a wine and takeaway to soak it all in...
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 12th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    Completion still set for Friday and we haven't even exchanged yet!!

I have become a nervous wreck, this whole thing is an absolute nightmare
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 12th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    Exchange may happen by the time I retire as solicitors still not ready to exchange :/ :/ looks like next week now :/
    • Lu_equi
    • By Lu_equi 12th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Lu_equi
    Hi All
    Congrats to those that have exchange and completed ! I am addicted to this thread!
    After our offer was accepted in April we had been chasing constantly for the seller to send his contract paperwork back ... after various emails from solicitors and EA I went direct to the seller and asked " Do you still want to sell , as our mortgage offer expires and we are not going to extend it on this occasion" .

No reply ...

Then he replied on the 26th June stating he had sent everything back and paid fees (after we had decided if it didn't happen we would just stay at parents and save more ). He hadn't found anywhere to live and wanted this sorted first.

Solicitors received contract draft FINALLY on 30th June , and submitted the searches.. now back to waiting.
    (Oh ! I also changed our mortgage offer to exactly the same rate/terms , but now we get the £1000 cash back).
    Not really sure what happens next but I now believe I have the patience of a saint after waiting 3 months just for the contract draft !.
    Good Luck everyone else waiting to exchange etc! x x
    Originally posted by Lu_equi

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Good to see many have exchanged ! .. Well done
    I have now received:
    * Mortgage Deed to be signed
    *2 Searches back . 1 of which shows surface water flooding as a negligible risk within 250 m of the property so this has to be queried ..... so I am told.

Still awaiting Local Authority searches and then everything else that follows.
    However I have been advised by the solicitor that they haven't had ANY searches back for us yet... hahaha.......... however they have sent them to me by email and in the post !
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 12th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    joshardy
    I haven't even got an exchange date yet and I'm almost packed hope I've not jinxed myself.

I've got a lot of clothes to pack still but I've basically left 2 sets of bedding out, 4 towels and a few sparse cushions on the sofa I'm literally living in a shell now.
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    When I said we're exchanging today (now yesterday), it seems we didn't and today doesn't look good either (unless it happens in the next 90 mins). After telling us they weren't in a chain, our sellers are now in a chain! We were aiming to complete on the 17th and I think we're still ok to do that, I'm must annoyed that our seller didn't tell us about their change in circumstances!

Very organised LuckyG!! We are quite lucky in that we have about 10 days overlap between having to be out of our current house and into the new one so I'm not feeling the need to live in a shell just yet!
    • CalamityJane1969
    • By CalamityJane1969 12th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    CalamityJane1969
    Long time lurker, first time poster here!

Offers accepted on our sale and purchase at the beginning of May. Someone further down the chain had a mortgage offer that expired at the end of July which COULDN'T be extended. Everyone informally agrees to work to that date for completion - including our vendor who agreed to move into temporary accommodation until her new build was completed. Happy days.

Until today when we are told that the mortgage offer HAS been extended, and our buyers are using that as an opportunity to delay completion until the end of August. They even want to delay the exchange even though virtually everyone is ready! Apparently the woman has had a (very) minor op, with a couple more to come, and they are flatly refusing to budge on this.

They are an old couple, and apparently very stubborn and no one can make them see what a pain in the backside they are being. Our vendor has already sorted her temporary arrangement and may lose money over this. The people buying their place have been waiting since mid January.....I'm surprised they haven't told them to shove it long ago...

It's not the time it's taken for me, that's been quite quick in comparison to others, it's the change of plans right at the last moment. Grrrr.......
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 12th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Some good news today, my solicitor has contacted me and said there's only one remaining query.
    She's also put the cash statement in the post and is aiming for us to complete before the end of the month

So, what exactly is a cash statement?
    Is it just a bill for the fees and details of the deposit I'm paying on exchange?
    Last edited by LuckyG; 12-07-2017 at 5:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,458Posts Today

9,259Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin