Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 482
    • Frances109
    • By Frances109 7th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Frances109
    So we were supposed to have exchanged on 22 June and completed on 29 June.... we are now on 7 July and still no sign of exchange!

All we are waiting for is the housing association to sign the TP1 and then we are all good to go. We have been waiting almost 3 weeks for this signature so we are feeling pretty frustrated Plus I'm having a really crappy time at work....

Fingers crossed next week is the week for good news!
    First time buyer!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 7th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,162 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Are we allowed to contact the sellers solicitor? I'm really tempted to as well.
    Originally posted by Goon123
    I wouldn't bother. They are almost certainly not going to speak to you.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 7th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Well, the vendors solicitors have promised to have the final queries sent over to my solicitor by Monday.
    I hope they stick to this
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    I wouldn't bother. They are almost certainly not going to speak to you.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Assuming it's the same in my field of law (which is not an unreasonable assumption, as I believe this part of my code of conduct is pulled from the LSA one), so long as you have a solicitor representing you on a matter and the other side's solicitor is aware, the other side's solicitor *cannot* send you anything directly unless:
    - Your solicitor gives permission
    - They are asking who your solicitor is
    - They have good reason to believe that your solicitor has failed for no reason to reply to them or pass on correspondence, and they have warned your solicitor that they will do so.

The reason for this is essentially to stop a dodgy party from communicating an offer that looks totally reasonable but has some horrible hidden catch, and bypassing your solicitor to do so.

There is, however, nothing stopping you from talking to the seller directly... That doesn't mean it's a good idea or that they'll reply though!
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    Well, the vendors solicitors have promised to have the final queries sent over to my solicitor by Monday.
    I hope they stick to this
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    Assuming it's the same in my field of law (which is not an unreasonable assumption, as I believe this part of my code of conduct is pulled from the LSA one), so long as you have a solicitor representing you on a matter and the other side's solicitor is aware, the other side's solicitor *cannot* send you anything directly unless:
    - Your solicitor gives permission
    - They are asking who your solicitor is
    - They have good reason to believe that your solicitor has failed for no reason to reply to them or pass on correspondence, and they have warned your solicitor that they will do so.

The reason for this is essentially to stop a dodgy party from communicating an offer that looks totally reasonable but has some horrible hidden catch, and bypassing your solicitor to do so.

There is, however, nothing stopping you from talking to the seller directly... That doesn't mean it's a good idea or that they'll reply though!
    Originally posted by DumbMuscle
    Thanks for the clarity. I don't suppose you fancy changing discipline and going in to property conveyancing do you!?! Hehe. I could do with someone like you in my corner.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 7th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Thanks for the clarity. I don't suppose you fancy changing discipline and going in to property conveyancing do you!?! Hehe. I could do with someone like you in my corner.
    I'm just gonna say - look at the number of posts I make during work hours, and ask yourself if I'd be any faster!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 7th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,273 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    We exchanged yesterday!! Now to really get my act together with the packing, although we have an overlap on tenancy of 3 weeks so not too bad but we want to move in the weekend we get the keys.
    Really hope everyone moves forward successfully. Some worries on the thread and fingers crossed they get sorted really soon. Stay positive everyone. Xx
    Originally posted by Nikkinakkinoo2017
    Hurrah! Well done!

I finally exchanged yesterday after 12 long painful weeks and complete on Tuesday!
    Although 12 weeks is the average time for completing I honestly believe if I had started chasing my solicitors daily it would have been done in half the time. I am a FTB and my vendors are moving into a new build which has been ready for them for around 4 weeks now, so it really shouldn't have taken this long!
    In the final two weeks I chased my solicitor, my lender and had regular contact with the vendor so we could work together to speed things up and it worked!

I would encourage everyone with slow solicitors (the majority) to chase them as much as you can and not to worry about annoying them because its worth it!

Good luck to everyone else waiting to exchange
    Originally posted by Zabba28
    And to you. Fabulous!

I have finally exchanged!! 30 minutes ago we were threatening to pull but now we own our first house and will be moving in next Friday!!!!
    Originally posted by FirstTimeBuyer20
    Great news. Well done!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 7th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,273 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    I'm just gonna say - look at the number of posts I make during work hours, and ask yourself if I'd be any faster!
    Pretty funny!
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123

Haha!!!
    To do list:
    1. Buy lottery ticket
    2. Win lottery
    3. Set up conveyancing firm which offers basic service level agreements around communication
    4. Design a website which explains exactly where your clients are in the process, as well as flagging outstanding issues/queries.
    5. Sit back and watch the money roll in.

I can't be the only one that has had this thought!
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 7th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Thank you I hope things move along quicker for you too
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 7th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Ugh...still waiting for the seller to move out.
    She says she is doing everything she can to find a flat to rent, but I've been in her place, having to move out quickly with a dog, and I know it can be done.
    It's literally the last step! Everything else is signed & stamped. So frustrating.

We even started looking at other houses today. Unfortunately the only 2 houses we like are in the same street as my ex. One across the road, one a couple of doors down. Oh well.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    July NSD's 17/20
    EF Challenger #36 £600/£5050
    / Lose weight 17.6 / 20lbs
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 7th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    I think the enquiries stage is the most frustrating of the process. Ours dragged on for weeks and when we actually got them, I've no idea what took so long!!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,273 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    If you haven't exchanged don't do what I did and wait until then to do anything!
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 8th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Here I go again. 3rd time moving within 2 1/2 years. Second time was separation, this time it's relocation. I hope I get to exchange painlessly as I can't sleep. I can't bear the idea of going through it all over again and have my heart set on the new house, so want it over and done with as quickly as possible.

Luckily my buyer is a cash buyer and my sellers have already started the process. Fingers crossed!!!!!
    Last edited by goodwithsaving; 08-07-2017 at 5:51 PM.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • houndour
    • By houndour 8th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    houndour
    I think the enquiries stage is the most frustrating of the process. Ours dragged on for weeks and when we actually got them, I've no idea what took so long!!
    Originally posted by Lauralou79
    Agree.

If you haven't exchanged don't do what I did and wait until then to do anything!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    We've decluttered and had a car boot. But I'm not packing a thing until exchange. We made that mistake last time and the house sale fell through right at the end when we were expecting to exchange and then had boxes around for months.

Can't remember if I updated with the other quotes I got for moving. My first was £1400, but thankfully next one was £700 (and has free wardrobe boxes on the van and second hand boxes to lend out). Another quoted around £700 without seeing the house and that covered just 6 hours and then costs £108 per hour. Just waiting on one more quote from a man that came to visit. Because we moved ourselves last time I had no idea you can leave things in drawers that come out, so that's a lot of packing reduced.

As for the sale itself...still waiting. However we had some movement from the buyers solicitors. Apparently they just need to sign contracts and we've been given an estimate of next thursday for exchange. Again, I'll take that with a pinch of salt. It's like deja vu.
    • browneyone
    • By browneyone 8th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    browneyone
    Well after being told we are waiting in the seller to sign I have today revived a letter from the solicitors which had three things

1.Asking for payment to do mining search
    2.Sign the mortgage deed
    3.Damp and timber report

Was abit miffed that the letter was dated 10 days ago.

I've sent the damp report straight over today and I'll make payment on Monday morning for the mine survey but I'm unsure about signing the mortgage deed as it says someone but witness it *solicitors aren't local ones
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 54,345 Posts
    • 47,165 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Well after being told we are waiting in the seller to sign I have today revived a letter from the solicitors which had three things
    Originally posted by browneyone
    Lender may have requested 1. and 3.

Solicitor doesn't just work for you. Also the lender. Though you pay the fees.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 9th Jul 17, 4:56 AM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,273 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    You can just get a neighbour to witness it.
    • Frugal Foodie
    • By Frugal Foodie 9th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Frugal Foodie
    So to continue this hellish experience of buying our first home, our seller was gazumped on Friday - 3 weeks after having her offer accepted and having already paid for searches, survey being complete etc. So again, we are back to stage 1!!

We absolutely love the house and its in the area we want to live but our offer was accepted on the 24th Feb and I'm not sure how long is reasonable to wait considering the seller has now had two of her purchases fall through.

Pass me the wine!!!
    Originally posted by Frugal Foodie
    Finally exchanged on Friday and get the keys next Friday!!!

Seller eventually agreed to break the chain and move in with her parents after 6 months of 3 unsuccessful house purchases for her.

So relieved it's finally sorted!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

8,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin