Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 481
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 7th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    Surrey_EA

I would encourage everyone with slow solicitors (the majority) to chase them as much as you can and not to worry about annoying them because its worth it!
    Originally posted by Zabba28
    I really do understand your frustrations, however, I would also like to remind everyone that conveyancing solicitors generally have between 100 - 150 active cases at any one time.

How much work do you think a solicitor can get done if every client each chases them on a daily basis?

Conveyancing is basically a numbers game that solicitors make very little money from.

If you want a super responsive solicitor who is completely on top of everything, and can respond to queries instantly, it's going to cost you a lot more than £500.
    • Zabba28
    • By Zabba28 7th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Zabba28
    I really do understand your frustrations, however, I would also like to remind everyone that conveyancing solicitors generally have between 100 - 150 active cases at any one time.

How much work do you think a solicitor can get done if every client each chases them on a daily basis?

Conveyancing is basically a numbers game that solicitors make very little money from.

If you want a super responsive solicitor who is completely on top of everything, and can respond to queries instantly, it's going to cost you a lot more than £500.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Numbers game or not, when you pay for a service you expect to get a decent level. Simple things like responding to emails, returning phone calls and being proactive in their work.

If I performed like my solicitors have over the last week in my job I wouldn't be in one, simple as. Many business's operate on very slight margins and take on enough work to make it profitable whilst maintaining an acceptable level of service. Conveyancing solicitors however do not, they should take on less work or hire more staff. Luckily conveyancing is mainly ad-hoc work so there is no desire for them to create a strong client relationship and achieve customer satisfaction.

From reading previous posts I believe you yourself are a solicitor so I understand you are backing your corner, but reading previous posts I pretty sure many people share my views.
    • FirstTimeBuyer20
    • By FirstTimeBuyer20 7th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    FirstTimeBuyer20
    I finally exchanged yesterday after 12 long painful weeks and complete on Tuesday!
    Although 12 weeks is the average time for completing I honestly believe if I had started chasing my solicitors daily it would have been done in half the time. I am a FTB and my vendors are moving into a new build which has been ready for them for around 4 weeks now, so it really shouldn't have taken this long!
    In the final two weeks I chased my solicitor, my lender and had regular contact with the vendor so we could work together to speed things up and it worked!

I would encourage everyone with slow solicitors (the majority) to chase them as much as you can and not to worry about annoying them because its worth it!

Good luck to everyone else waiting to exchange
    I completely agree! But unfortunately even when you do that you don't get results. We have been trying and trying to get basic information to our sellers solicitor who seems utterly incapable of even answering a phone call!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 7th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    From reading previous posts I believe you yourself are a solicitor so I understand you are backing your corner, but reading previous posts I pretty sure many people share my views.
    There's a clue in my username!

Numbers game or not, when you pay for a service you expect to get a decent level. Simple things like responding to emails, returning phone calls and being proactive in their work.

If I performed like my solicitors have over the last week in my job I wouldn't be in one, simple as. Many business's operate on very slight margins and take on enough work to make it profitable whilst maintaining an acceptable level of service. Conveyancing solicitors however do not, they should take on less work or hire more staff. Luckily conveyancing is mainly ad-hoc work so there is no desire for them to create a strong client relationship and achieve customer satisfaction.
    I agree with a lot of that. But I believe there are some very good conveyancing solicitors out there, but they're probably outnumbered by the poor ones.

I believe some of the stress in moving home can be eliminated by appointing a good solicitor, based on personal recommendation from family/friends, and by having realistic expectations for how long the process is likely to take.

Any transaction will only be as quick as the slowest component, and there are are vast number of possible components that can delay progress.
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 7th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    Ggrrrrr chased up estate agent, my sol good to go, top of chain good to go, it's just the middle link who reckon they aren't ready so estate agent chasing it up today!

I know he middle of chain has more work with buy/selling in one go but all paperwork and everything is ready to go all docs signed
    • FirstTimeBuyer20
    • By FirstTimeBuyer20 7th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    FirstTimeBuyer20
    I have finally exchanged!! 30 minutes ago we were threatening to pull but now we own our first house and will be moving in next Friday!!!!
    • betsycat
    • By betsycat 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    betsycat
    WOO congrats FTB20!
    • cherryx3x3
    • By cherryx3x3 7th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    cherryx3x3
    STILL waiting to exchange

We are all still aiming to complete next Friday so are very quickly running out of time!

We still need to pack up all our belongings as we don't want to do it until exchange has happened, so it looks like a busy week next week after work!
    • Zabba28
    • By Zabba28 7th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Zabba28
    There's a clue in my username!

I agree with a lot of that. But I believe there are some very good conveyancing solicitors out there, but they're probably outnumbered by the poor ones.

I believe some of the stress in moving home can be eliminated by appointing a good solicitor, based on personal recommendation from family/friends, and by having realistic expectations for how long the process is likely to take.

Any transaction will only be as quick as the slowest component, and there are are vast number of possible components that can delay progress.
    I was actually recommended my solicitor by a colleague at work and they have charged me a lot more than £500. They are quite a large firm and did have good reviews on trust pilot etc... perhaps I was unlucky and allocated a solicitor a bit further down the pecking order.

They got the job done in the end though
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 7th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    LuckyG
    My solicitor seems quite responsive, it's the vendors solicitor that's slow. The EA as well as my solicitor are both telling me the same thing. They're chasing the vendors solicitor, but not getting anywhere fast.

All that's left are 2 enquiries, once they're satisfied we can exchange.
    9 weeks today for us and whilst that doesn't seem like a long time, it feels it, especially considering we are not in a chain.

I'm starting to lose patience if I'm honest, it seems as if the vendors solicitor can't be bothered. They haven't acknowledged any email or message left all week.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 7th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    LuckyG
    We was waiting on enquiries being answered for ages, turns out our vendors solicitor is slow at getting info back, I bugged and bugged my solicitor daily to get him to chase it up, we are now ready to sign but vendors solicitor says they are not yet due to only just getting contract signed...(I know vendor and she did it a while ago that's how slow they are!) chasin up again today ��
    Originally posted by Glbooth3
    Our vendors solicitor is painfully slow its driving me insane. My solicitor and the EA have both been trying to contact them all week but they've not responded to either of them.
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    I have been reading this thread for a number of weeks and thanks to all of those keeping me sane! This is my first post, as I'd like to share my journey - hopefully this will aid someone, as others have for me.

My fianc!e and I are both FTB, the sellers of the property we are buying are purchasing a property with no chain:
    13/4 - asking price offer accepted
    15/4 - mortgage in principle received
    2/5 - survey results received
    3/5 - solicitor deposit paid, so formally instructing them to proceed
    15/5 - mortgage offer finalised, deed signed
    6/6 - searches returned: all fine
    10/6 - 10% exchange deposit paid

It's at this point that things seem to have slowed down, we were asked by our solicitors when we would like to propose an exchange and completion date, so I went for the end of June. Apparently this would be too soon for the sellers and they would come back to me with a date, that was on the 15th June. We still don't have one...

My solicitor states that they are unable to get a response from the sellers side. Can this really be true after a month of trying??? I spoke to the EA a week ago and he told me that everything was pretty much in order on the sellers side - although I only received this call after I expressed my anxiety at the deafening silence from the other side and insinuated that I may begin to look elsewhere. But still my solicitor is telling me that they have not been able to contact the sellers solicitor, even a week after the conversation with the EA! So the wait continues....
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    So I have had my mortgage advisor wade in to try and get some clarity. Looks like the EA was spinning me a story to keep me content, as the 2 outstanding queries that the sellers had on their new property (which the EA agent had said had been resolved) he informed me of, has now grown to a list of 3 or 4 which still require "ironing out".

I know I am being impatient, but a bit of upfront honesty to manage my expectations would go a long way. We are now 12 weeks in.
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123

I'm starting to lose patience if I'm honest, it seems as if the vendors solicitor can't be bothered. They haven't acknowledged any email or message left all week.
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    I'm in exactly the same boat LuckyG! Incredibly infuriating!!! Hopefully things will move forward next week for both of us.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 7th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    So I have had my mortgage advisor wade in to try and get some clarity. Looks like the EA was spinning me a story to keep me content, as the 2 outstanding queries that the sellers had on their new property (which the EA agent had said had been resolved) he informed me of, has now grown to a list of 3 or 4 which still require "ironing out".
    Originally posted by Goon123
    Finding out what those 3 or 4 issues are will give you an indicator of how close you are. Some issues are easy and quick to iron out, others less so.

Call the EA and tell them you want a clear understanding of what is outstanding, and an estimation of how quickly everything will be resolved, and that you don't just want to be told what they think you want to hear.
    Last edited by Surrey_EA; 07-07-2017 at 3:24 PM.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 7th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    LuckyG

I know I am being impatient, but a bit of upfront honesty to manage my expectations would go a long way. We are now 12 weeks in.
    I don't think you're being impatient at all, it's only been 9 weeks since our offer was accepted and that feels like a lifetime.

I am unsure whether to chase my solicitor today, although I don't see the point really. I feel like trying to contact the vendors solicitor myself (I won't but it's frustrating me now).
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    Finding out what those 3 or 4 issues are will give you an indicator of how close you are. Some issues are easy and quick to iron out, others less so.

Call the EA and tell them you want a clear understanding of what is outstanding, an an estimation of how quickly everything will be resolved, and that you don't just want to be told what they think you want to hear.

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how I get on.
    Last edited by Goon123; 07-07-2017 at 3:30 PM.
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    LuckyG - I hear you there, I've never known time to move so slowly!
    • Goon123
    • By Goon123 7th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Goon123
    I am unsure whether to chase my solicitor today, although I don't see the point really. I feel like trying to contact the vendors solicitor myself (I won't but it's frustrating me now).
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    Are we allowed to contact the sellers solicitor? I'm really tempted to as well.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 7th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Are we allowed to contact the sellers solicitor? I'm really tempted to as well.
    I have no idea if I'm honest

I've just had an email from the EA saying the vendor has been in touch with her today stating he's been questioned over drainage pipes, as he's not certain on the details of the drainage pipes or whether they're actually there at all, he was concerned there was an issue.

The EA is attempting to contact the vendors solicitor now to find out more info on this. It's one of remaining two queries apparently.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin