Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 480
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 6th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    We are due to exchange today!!! Everything crossed that it happens. Completion set for 28th as the vendors are off on holiday next week. Hope everyone is progressing nicely xx
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 6th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Just been forwarded a letter from the sellers' solicitor. "Unfortunately, the writer has been away for 2 1/2 weeks holiday so we are sorry if the file has not been monitored in his absence."

They literally just apologised in third person in an unsigned letter... What the hell?

(But the solicitors are now discussing actual completion dates, finally! And it sounds like everyone is on the same page for dates.)
    • FirstTimeBuyer20
    • By FirstTimeBuyer20 6th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    FirstTimeBuyer20
    We are due to exchange today!!! Everything crossed that it happens. Completion set for 28th as the vendors are off on holiday next week. Hope everyone is progressing nicely xx
    Originally posted by Nikkinakkinoo2017
    Me too! Good luck!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 6th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,283 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Only going the other side of the 377 Dave!
    • FirstTimeBuyer20
    • By FirstTimeBuyer20 6th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    FirstTimeBuyer20
    So it turns out we won't be exchanging as planned today. Our sellers are buying a house that has three people acting as power of attorney as the owner is ill and elderly. We have just heard from the sellers solicitor that they have received the three contracts back, however one wasn't signed!!! It has taken the sellers solicitor days to admit that this is the case!

She is a complete moron and holding up the whole process! She never answers calls, not even from our sellers who are the ones paying her! How can you seriously claim to be a expert and take people's money if you cannot perform basic functions!

What makes it all worse it that the contracts for the house we are buying are all signed and ready to go!! I could cry :'(
    • SquirrelRM
    • By SquirrelRM 6th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    SquirrelRM
    Congratulations smallholdingsister!
    • davilown
    • By davilown 6th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    davilown
    My buyers have just pulled out - both side had completed surveys, searches etc. Reasons? Going to leave until after Christmas! Must have cost the £3k to get to this point, just wished they'd done it earlier.
    Back in Debt £186,480/£225,000 on a mortgage, Overpayment £96 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2028
    £27000/£27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 22,636 Posts
    • 87,526 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Only going the other side of the 377 Dave!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Oh.... good!

I believe they also put the cream on before the jam over there, so you'll be OK.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 6th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,283 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    My buyers have just pulled out - both side had completed surveys, searches etc. Reasons? Going to leave until after Christmas! Must have cost the £3k to get to this point, just wished they'd done it earlier.
    Originally posted by davilown
    Oh you poor thing! What will you do?

Oh.... good!

I believe they also put the cream on before the jam over there, so you'll be OK.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    There is another way?!
    • davilown
    • By davilown 6th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    davilown
    Oh you poor thing! What will you do?

There is another way?!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    EA has more viewings arrange for tomorrow and Saturday already so fingers crossed. Will lose the so called 'dream' home otherwise
    Back in Debt £186,480/£225,000 on a mortgage, Overpayment £96 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2028
    £27000/£27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 6th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 24,283 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Fingers absolutely crossed.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 6th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    LuckyG
    No news here, EA emailed to say there's just 2 queries outstanding and she's left a message with the vendor asking if they've chased their solicitor.
    My solicitor still hasn't heard from the vendors solicitor regarding these last 2 queries.
    It's 9 weeks tomorrow since our offer was accepted so not too long, however, we aren't in a chain and are moving into a vacant property so it feels like forever.
    • LAC789
    • By LAC789 6th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LAC789
    11/04 - offer accepted
    21/04 - full mortgage application
    11/05 - mortgage offer received
    11/05 - paid solicitors, searches ordered
    31/05 - searches received

Up to now we are still "waiting on some enquiries" and getting very frustrated. We have just had an email every week saying something along the lines of "hello, we are still waiting on replies from enquires and then I will send documentation for signing". I'm wondering what kind of question takes over a month to answer? We were told initially it would take 6-8 weeks, we're on the 8th week now since paying the solicitors so I don't know what's happening. We have no idea about a completion date. There is a massive lack of communication, we don't know how much work is outstanding or anything and have just been told that the person handling our case has gone on annual leave.. No moving date in sight. There is no chain either side, we are FTB and house is empty. Sorry for my rant
    • Glbooth3
    • By Glbooth3 7th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Glbooth3
    We was waiting on enquiries being answered for ages, turns out our vendors solicitor is slow at getting info back, I bugged and bugged my solicitor daily to get him to chase it up, we are now ready to sign but vendors solicitor says they are not yet due to only just getting contract signed...(I know vendor and she did it a while ago that's how slow they are!) chasin up again today ��
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 7th Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    We exchanged yesterday!! Now to really get my act together with the packing, although we have an overlap on tenancy of 3 weeks so not too bad but we want to move in the weekend we get the keys.
    Really hope everyone moves forward successfully. Some worries on the thread and fingers crossed they get sorted really soon. Stay positive everyone. Xx
    • westv
    • By westv 7th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    westv
    It's 9 weeks tomorrow since our offer was accepted so not too long, however, we aren't in a chain and are moving into a vacant property so it feels like forever.
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    I think so too but my buyer pulled out after 9 weeks without any warning because he claimed my conveyancer was too slow even though we were probably close to exchange.
    • betsycat
    • By betsycat 7th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    betsycat
    Congratulations smallholdingsister, on both counts!

Our solicitor finally has draft contracts (apparently our vendor's previous buyer's solicitor was taking a long time to send the paperwork back...) and searches have now begun, 6.5 weeks in. We were originally told completion in August but unsure if that'll be the case, now. We'll see – mortgage and survey have already been sorted so it's "just" the conveyancing now!
    • FirstTimeBuyer20
    • By FirstTimeBuyer20 7th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    FirstTimeBuyer20
    We exchanged yesterday!! Now to really get my act together with the packing, although we have an overlap on tenancy of 3 weeks so not too bad but we want to move in the weekend we get the keys.
    Really hope everyone moves forward successfully. Some worries on the thread and fingers crossed they get sorted really soon. Stay positive everyone. Xx
    Originally posted by Nikkinakkinoo2017
    Congrats! That's great news. We were supposed to complete yesterday but it didn't happen there is still a slim chance that we can exchange today to be okay to move into next Friday which was our provisional date.
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 7th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    Congrats! That's great news. We were supposed to complete yesterday but it didn't happen there is still a slim chance that we can exchange today to be okay to move into next Friday which was our provisional date.
    Originally posted by FirstTimeBuyer20
    Oh it's so frustrating isn't it. Everything crossed you get good news today
    • Zabba28
    • By Zabba28 7th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Zabba28
    I finally exchanged yesterday after 12 long painful weeks and complete on Tuesday!
    Although 12 weeks is the average time for completing I honestly believe if I had started chasing my solicitors daily it would have been done in half the time. I am a FTB and my vendors are moving into a new build which has been ready for them for around 4 weeks now, so it really shouldn't have taken this long!
    In the final two weeks I chased my solicitor, my lender and had regular contact with the vendor so we could work together to speed things up and it worked!

I would encourage everyone with slow solicitors (the majority) to chase them as much as you can and not to worry about annoying them because its worth it!

Good luck to everyone else waiting to exchange
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,101Posts Today

9,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin