Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 465
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 15th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    LuckyG
    I've just received my survey report, everything seems fine. There are a few minor issues, but nothing urgent so we are happy

My husband has signed and posted his occupier form today as the mortgage is in my name only. I think the next step should be exchange, or at least I hope so anyway.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 15th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Surveyor has just been, I have been worried sick about it. He was only here 5 minutes and didn't even look at the boiler or anything. Just a quick look in the rooms and outside. So I'm guessing it's a valuation my buyer has had and not a survey.

Nervously waiting now to see if he will reduce the valuation etc. Anyone know how long it takes for the buyer to get their valuation? I know I got mine the same day but I'm guessing that's not the norm.
    Originally posted by toc25
    I received my valuation about a week after Nationwide did it, but my case was delayed with extra documentation being requested.

However, I've just received my surveyors report this afternoon and it was done on Monday, so 3 days
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 15th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    bounderboy
    Well we have some good news (fingercrossed) Vendor has agreed to completion date of 14th July we originally wanted before end of June but negotiations back were beginning of August.

Shame we had to threaten to pull out to get a more suitable and fair date so hope they are understand we have compromised too! By waiting..
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 15th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    My solicitors just asked for my preferred dates to negotiate completion Still waiting on movement up the chain, but now have just about everyone I can reasonably marshal chasing things up to keep them moving. Instructed my solicitors to negotiate on the basis of "I will likely pull out if we haven't exchanged by X with a completion date before Y", where X is the end of my current tenancy, and Y is a couple weeks later (because I figure I can get a couple weeks' storage, take a bit of holiday and/or make use of a friend's spare room if need be)
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Jun 17, 5:37 PM
    • 3,201 Posts
    • 23,818 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Well this is really quite hard work. I heard myself saying today "And that's why God invented B n Bs".
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 15th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 16,178 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I think you need an agreed completion date for exchange to happen.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Yes, had an email from conveyancers today saying now we have a completion date agreed, they are awaiting confirmation from mortgage lender to confirm the change of date then we can go ahead and exchange
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    June NSD's 11/20
    EF Challenger #36 £1250/£4000
    / Lose weight 14.6 / 20lbs
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 15th Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    So, a few days into a really(really) awful week in our house, came home today to a letter from the solicitors saying everything is back and to make an appointment to go through contract and discuss dates!!!!!! Considering the last search wasn't due until the 29th June we are super excited by this and hubby is going at 3pm tomorrow to sort it all. Really what we needed after the last few days. Hope everyone is progressing too xx
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 3,201 Posts
    • 23,818 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Well done Raphael and Nikki.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 15th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    sultanabran
    Phoned my solicitor today to check if they received the paperwork. They did, except they had the date down as sometime in July, even though my solicitor has told them repeatedly its 22nd June!

I won't be concerned if it wasn't for the fact that my buyers solicitor seems so inefficient.

If solicitors were in any other business, they would be out of business in a heart beat! Never dealt with an industry so inept.
    Originally posted by sultanabran
    So here we are, 1 week until settlement (completion/date of entry) and still no conclusion of missives. My buyers solicitor for reasons unknown to me, my solicitor or my buyer, is delaying concluding missives. We all feel totally helpless and not sure what we can do. I know for certain that I'll be raising a complaint with the SLCC once this is all over.

There's no way he should be delaying. My buyer is always phoning him but getting nowhere! My buyer wants it done, surely he's not acting in his clients best interest?!
    • SquirrelRM
    • By SquirrelRM 16th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    SquirrelRM
    So here we are, 1 week until settlement (completion/date of entry) and still no conclusion of missives. My buyers solicitor for reasons unknown to me, my solicitor or my buyer, is delaying concluding missives. We all feel totally helpless and not sure what we can do. I know for certain that I'll be raising a complaint with the SLCC once this is all over.

There's no way he should be delaying. My buyer is always phoning him but getting nowhere! My buyer wants it done, surely he's not acting in his clients best interest?!
    Is there a senior partner that your buyer can speak to? Might moves things along. X
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 16th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    sultanabran
    Is there a senior partner that your buyer can speak to? Might moves things along. X
    Originally posted by SquirrelRM
    He is the senior partner! It's just him a secretary and a paralegal. I reckon he just takes on too much work.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 16th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    sultanabran
    My solicitor just called to say they received the last missives letter so just like that, it's suddenly all concluded!
    • Pigmyhippo
    • By Pigmyhippo 16th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Pigmyhippo
    Well, we joined the waiting for a buyer thread last Tuesday when we listed the property. We accepted an offer from the first viewers last Thursday, and are now marked as sold subject to contract. Now comes the long and uncertain part while we wait for buyers to get valuation, survey etc done and wait for the solicitors to earn their money.

Just keeping our fingers crossed that everything progresses as smoothly as possible from this point onwards and we get to exchange without hitting any major bumps. (I know, how naive are we?! Haha)
    Originally posted by Pigmyhippo
    Well, we got to exchange yesterday without any major dramas and completed this morning, so about 10 weeks from offer accepted to completion. Good luck to all those still waiting.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 16th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Congratulations Sultanabran and Pygmyhippo! Enjoy your new houses.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 16th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    One step closer on my purchase - the next purchase up in the chain has had the valuation, and is just waiting for the mortgage offer to come through. The end of chain purchase has their mortgage offer, and is just waiting on one search to come back.
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 16th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    bounderboy
    My solicitor just called to say they received the last missives letter so just like that, it's suddenly all concluded!
    I wonder how much work solicitors make for themselves by not setting realistic expectations and informing of progress.. People hassling must be 90% of the job.. Which of course is unproductive and unnecessary .

However their closed attitude to the process just creates anxiety and everyone chasing their tails.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 16th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    sultanabran
    I wonder how much work solicitors make for themselves by not setting realistic expectations and informing of progress.. People hassling must be 90% of the job.. Which of course is unproductive and unnecessary .

However their closed attitude to the process just creates anxiety and everyone chasing their tails.
    Originally posted by bounderboy
    Exactly. It took him 4 weeks to reply to my solicitor with a one word email! No need.
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 16th Jun 17, 3:57 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    Solicitor is putting forward for exchange next Friday with view to complete on the 30th!!! This all seems a little surreal. Hopefully the vendors agree. Eek x
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 16th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    Guys we completed today!!!!!! Thanks for all the support received on this forum!
    Completed!! PROUD homeowner from now on!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 16th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 3,201 Posts
    • 23,818 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Congratulations Sultanabran and Pygmyhippo! Enjoy your new houses.
    Originally posted by DumbMuscle
    Guys we completed today!!!!!! Thanks for all the support received on this forum!
    Originally posted by hounsehunterftb
    Congratulations all round. Dying to hear your moving day stories.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,219Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin