Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 865Posts
    • 843Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 448
    • MisterP123
    • By MisterP123 18th May 17, 9:08 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    MisterP123
    Good news - we are all working towards and end of June completion.

    Bad news mortgage paperwork was posted on Saturday and hasn't arrived.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister


    My mortgage offer took an age to arrive. Not sure who you're with but it appears Santander have access to third class mail. My solicitor did have the offer very quickly though, took a couple of weeks for me to get my copy.
    • Dollydaydreama
    • By Dollydaydreama 18th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Dollydaydreama
    Hi Everyone..mortgage offer received today which is amazing after two long weeks of waiting! Called Solicitor today and searches have already been received back! We are chain free and our next house is also chain free as sellers moving to rented. Expecting delays as things never go smoothly but let's see!!
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 18th May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    sultanabran
    So just over 11 weeks since I accepted an offer on my house and I've still not concluded missives (exchanged). Buyers solicitor seems to have a world record for slowest performance by a solicitor. My buyer moves out of his house this weekend, has all his stuff in storage and goes on holiday Monday. He was planning to stay with his parents for a couple of weeks until he can move into mine.

    I'm due to move into my new build at the end of June but haven't obviously concluded missives on that yet. I have a part-ex deal as a back-up but would rather avoid going down that route. If it's not done tomorrow then it won't be done for a couple of weeks as my buyer will be out of the country. Not sure if the builder will give me much more leeway.

    My solicitor and my buyer have both been trying to get a response from his solicitor without much success. His solicitor said to him at the start of the week it would all be sorted this week. As it stands currently, my buyer could be coming back from holiday without a place to live!

    So frustrating, do these people not realise they're messing with peoples lives?!
    Last edited by sultanabran; 18-05-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 7:21 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 23,086 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    DOLLY good news about your mortgage offer.

    Mister P it is Yorkshire BS also 3rd class mail haha!

    Sultana that is frustrating. Our EAs are working hard, is yours?
    • sarahdonnelly
    • By sarahdonnelly 19th May 17, 9:14 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sarahdonnelly
    So glad I found this thread - might keep me sane!
    This is one of the most stressful things I've ever done! This all started in January when the offer was first accepted and we're still going..

    We'd agreed a date through discussions through the EA to exchange and complete. We gave notice on our rented house, booked removals, leave from work, furniture the works. Our sellers were moving out to stay with family as they are re-locating and weren't looking to buy straight away. At the last minute before exchange, we were advised that Mr Seller needs to go away (for only a few days) and Mrs Seller couldn't do it alone. Everything has now been put on hold. Found out since then that they've started to make offers on properties and they want to wait now so they don't want to move twice.

    So basically there's nothing we can do. I realise we shouldn't have given notice (which we can't change or extend now) but I did so in good faith as we'd agreed a date for exchange and completion. All parties were aware we were doing so. Didn't want to get stuck paying rent for another month.

    Relations with the other side are incredibly sour now, as I have tried my best to explain the position we are now in - but they won't move out now despite saying they would. The one thing I find so difficult is communication between everyone - things seem to get twisted, mis-interpreted or not even passed on.

    Good luck to the rest of you waiting to exchange :-)
    Last edited by sarahdonnelly; 19-05-2017 at 9:16 AM.
    • tiredoflife
    • By tiredoflife 19th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    tiredoflife
    So just over 11 weeks since I accepted an offer on my house and I've still not concluded missives (exchanged). Buyers solicitor seems to have a world record for slowest performance by a solicitor. My buyer moves out of his house this weekend, has all his stuff in storage and goes on holiday Monday. He was planning to stay with his parents for a couple of weeks until he can move into mine.

    I'm due to move into my new build at the end of June but haven't obviously concluded missives on that yet. I have a part-ex deal as a back-up but would rather avoid going down that route. If it's not done tomorrow then it won't be done for a couple of weeks as my buyer will be out of the country. Not sure if the builder will give me much more leeway.

    My solicitor and my buyer have both been trying to get a response from his solicitor without much success. His solicitor said to him at the start of the week it would all be sorted this week. As it stands currently, my buyer could be coming back from holiday without a place to live!

    So frustrating, do these people not realise they're messing with peoples lives?!
    Originally posted by sultanabran
    Very frustrating. All I'd say is keep pestering them, they'll get so sick of hearing from you they'll sort it out hopefully! Keep is updated.

    I caved and called my solicitor at 5ish last night. I got put on hold and told she was away from her desk, which probably translates to her flapping her hands and saying "tell her i'm not here" which I guess means no updates. Not feeling very optimistic about today tbh. Half tempted to call removal company and say we have a maybe date of the 2nd of June for completion and see if they can drop some boxes around so we can start packing. Thoughts?

    Hope others get some news today too.
    • tiredoflife
    • By tiredoflife 19th May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    tiredoflife
    This is one of the most stressful things I've ever done! This all started in January when the offer was first accepted and we're still going..

    We'd agreed a date through discussions through the EA to exchange and complete. We gave notice on our rented house, booked removals, leave from work, furniture the works. Our sellers were moving out to stay with family as they are re-locating and weren't looking to buy straight away. At the last minute before exchange, we were advised that Mr Seller needs to go away (for only a few days) and Mrs Seller couldn't do it alone. Everything has now been put on hold. Found out since then that they've started to make offers on properties and they want to wait now so they don't want to move twice.

    So basically there's nothing we can do. I realise we shouldn't have given notice (which we can't change or extend now) but I did so in good faith as we'd agreed a date for exchange and completion. All parties were aware we were doing so. Didn't want to get stuck paying rent for another month.

    Relations with the other side are incredibly sour now, as I have tried my best to explain the position we are now in - but they won't move out now despite saying they would. The one thing I find so difficult is communication between everyone - things seem to get twisted, mis-interpreted or not even passed on.

    Good luck to the rest of you waiting to exchange :-)
    Originally posted by sarahdonnelly
    Agree with the communication. Why can't they get us all in a room together with tea and cake and thrash it out! Also, I find emails can be interpreted as coming across as a bit s h i t t y when they are probably perfectly innocent! It's all a bit cloak and dagger. No other process is this hard or lengthy.

    Best of luck getting sorted
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 19th May 17, 9:27 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    sultanabran
    Sultana that is frustrating. Our EAs are working hard, is yours?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    My EA are being paid by the builder so there's probably less incentive for them to do any work as they'll get paid regardless.
    • sarahdonnelly
    • By sarahdonnelly 19th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sarahdonnelly
    Agree with the communication. Why can't they get us all in a room together with tea and cake and thrash it out! Also, I find emails can be interpreted as coming across as a bit s h i t t y when they are probably perfectly innocent! It's all a bit cloak and dagger. No other process is this hard or lengthy.

    Best of luck getting sorted
    Originally posted by tiredoflife

    Thank you! Same to you - I hope you get some news today. Love the tea and cake idea!
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 19th May 17, 10:15 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    bounderboy
    I noticed someone posted a time line of their housebuying and I found it interesting so keeping tally of mine... here we go.. with a Vendor that has an appetite for moving things can move much quicker.. our previous offer was in for 5mths and we didn;t even get past stage one.. People don't realise how much it affects peoples lives.. anyway onwards and upwards..

    Week 1
    28th April 17 - Offer Made
    2nd May 17 - Statement of Sale
    5th May 17 - Mortgage Application Completed
    Week 2
    9th May 17- Draft Contracts Sent Out
    10th May 17 - Mortgage Valuation Done
    Week 3
    16th May 17 - Mortgage Offer Confirmed by Broker
    16th May 17 - F&F Documents etc received from Solicitor to review
    16th May 17 - Local Searches Requested
    17th May 17 - Personal Vendor Queries sent through EA
    18th May 17 - Personal Vendor Queries reply - All OK
    18th May 17 - Official Mortgage Offer received in Post
    Week 4
    TBC

    I have been emailing and hassling which may or may not have helped - always hard to say.. sure everyone is thoroughly annoyed with me. We have been 5mths living with parents so just want to get a move on. However I am still glad we sold up and became FTB'sish rather than having a chain to now manage..

    Good Luck all..
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 19th May 17, 10:26 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    bounderboy
    Thank you! Same to you - I hope you get some news today. Love the tea and cake idea!
    Originally posted by sarahdonnelly
    I asked a couple of questions of Vendor as don't have direct contact and I think EA is quite selective in what they forward over in email which doesn't help. There is always plenty of pleasantries etc.

    However the response was "a peculiar question" and what i can assume was in response to me saying "thanks to vendor for replying so quickly it is appreciated" I got "No worries, i try to be prompt! ??" When I am reading the question marks I am overthinking what they mean. lol..

    Anyway as long as people keep communicating and don't go silent I am more than happy..
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 23,086 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Bounderboy we started 4 days before you but I don't know all of that detail.
    Sounds like a full time job for you!
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 19th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    bounderboy
    Bounderboy we started 4 days before you but I don't know all of that detail.
    Sounds like a full time job for you!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    I like to be thorough. Been waiting so long to find the right house and get moving I am trying to be methodical and keep momentum going. I really want to crack 6 week barrier as there is no reason not to (*yet). Vendor said they will move out even if next house they are buying isn't ready.

    Want to make sure the times are so out of sync that we don't get the call saying can we delay completion, "only a few weeks!", till the chain ready to go and us be stuck waiting for everyone else..

    The only bit I am unsure of is when we are likely to exchange. On looking on the council website Local Searches last year took an average of three days to return. And as far as I can see that is last key to puzzle now.. (oh and agreeing completion date with vendor)..
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 23,086 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    I have done it in four weeks so must be possible.
    • tiredoflife
    • By tiredoflife 19th May 17, 11:25 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    tiredoflife
    Still not heard anything. Do I call or not?
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 19th May 17, 11:30 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    bounderboy
    Still not heard anything. Do I call or not?
    Originally posted by tiredoflife
    Absolutely nothing to lose.. good time as well as it gives afternoon to act on...

    Say that with Weekend coming up it would be nice to get an update so you aren't just wondering all weekend. Any update is an update in this process.
    • tiredoflife
    • By tiredoflife 19th May 17, 11:34 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    tiredoflife
    Yep, you're right. Here goes....
    • tiredoflife
    • By tiredoflife 19th May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    tiredoflife
    Bahhhh! Away from her desk! It's not happening is it. 😕
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 19th May 17, 12:12 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    Bit of an update on our end. I called up our solicitors to check if they have heard from vendor's solicitors. It turns out they had received an email this morning which would be reviewed by our solicitor on Monday now :/ and they said if all looks good they might even produce a contract pack for us to sign.

    Fingers crossed for next week.

    (But I can still foresee the delay in this. Most probably our solicitor won't check on Monday but say Thursday and wont be satisfied with what she has received and again query back and thus waiting game would begin again! This time with LONG WEEKEND! I am being tooo negative I know.. but its all about "waiting for turn" in this home buying process)
    FTB - no chain vendor. In the middle of "home buying" - Conveyancing has began (Searches back and mortgage offer in place) - Solicitors taking awful amount of time for a simple chain free purchase!! So annoying!!
    Fingers Crossed still!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 23,086 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Mortgage form has arrived and being processed. Thank goodness!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,994Posts Today

6,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

  • Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

  • Follow Martin