Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 864Posts
    • 843Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 437
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 14th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    Pretty much everywhere are doing Easter Sales so get a look this weekend. I'm supposed to be completing on the 28th, I want to buy all my furniture this weekend but I'm so wary incase something happens as we haven't exchanged yet. Decisions decisions
    Originally posted by tomatta
    To start that was my issue too. Now I've been told it will be a 10-16 week wait eeekkk boxes it is then ��
    Last edited by Rileybaby; 14-04-2017 at 9:40 PM.
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 14th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jlaw4
    To start that was my issue too. Now I've been told it will be a 10-16 week wait eeekkk boxes it is then ��
    Originally posted by Rileybaby
    We got lucky by them having a much better deal online with the same store (harveys) no idea if they still do that but worth going in and looking and searching thier website whilst instore
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 15th Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    We got lucky by them having a much better deal online with the same store (harveys) no idea if they still do that but worth going in and looking and searching thier website whilst instore
    Originally posted by jlaw4
    Thank you I didn't know that!
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 15th Apr 17, 9:43 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stinabean
    Joining as I can't stop thinking about it and want it to hurry up so much but know that I'm so behind haha!

    FTB
    Vendor's property on market 23rd March, I viewed that day.
    Got the OH to view it 24th March, put an offer in that day and it was accepted.
    Vendor found empty house to move to 13th April, offer accepted.
    Went to Broker yesterday and signed bits to confirm movement ahead, will be paying the first lot of fees on Tuesday.

    Now I'm just sitting here scared that the lender will say no, scared that any surveys will be awful.. I just want it to go smoothly and I want to move in now!!

    Our tenancy ends end of July - having never bought a house before is it reasonable to think we should be out around then?
    • skywalker007
    • By skywalker007 15th Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    skywalker007
    I know it's eastpynfir me to say but try it to worry skywalker007 probate itself should not take too long to do if the family are sorting it not solicitors. Ive recently experienced probate and from submitting the application to the certificate being granted was about 5 weeks. If a solicitor is dealing with it it's likely to be longer!

    Are you progressing the sale, as in progressing towards exchange?

    On a side note can anyone recommend somewhere to purchase a sofa from?
    Originally posted by Rileybaby
    Its not progressing yet. i cant do anything till the probate is done. i have done valuation though and have my offer from my lender but thats all. its really scary and just pray it goes all well. Went around the house this week and notice the estate agent was still showing people the house. it's really scary and i hope they are not trying to make me bid higher again.The house is already STC on rightmove and don't understand why they are still showing people.
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 15th Apr 17, 1:23 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    Its not progressing yet. i cant do anything till the probate is done. i have done valuation though and have my offer from my lender but thats all. its really scary and just pray it goes all well. Went around the house this week and notice the estate agent was still showing people the house. it's really scary and i hope they are not trying to make me bid higher again.The house is already STC on rightmove and don't understand why they are still showing people.
    Originally posted by skywalker007
    So you have your mortgage offer then? If so that's a good start. Can you speak to the vendor and ask them take it off the market and ask for the position on the probate?
    • skywalker007
    • By skywalker007 17th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    skywalker007
    So you have your mortgage offer then? If so that's a good start. Can you speak to the vendor and ask them take it off the market and ask for the position on the probate?
    Originally posted by Rileybaby
    Yea its a good start but i am not getting any update from anyone. All i was told was when the probate is ready, they will let me know. i dont know how long it will take and worried someone with a bigger money might bump the price up later.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 17th Apr 17, 10:15 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Well.....have spent whole Easter bank holiday weekend packing our 4 bed house up and almost done - can't believe the stuff we have packed away - never want to move again, haven't even got to the moving part!!! Yay all the unpacking to do!!!...

    Exchange and completion is planned for Wed and removals van coming Thursday giving us chance to move some bits in on Wednesday all being well

    Will report back later in the week as to how it went!!
    SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • HB58
    • By HB58 18th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    HB58
    I am feeling soooo stressed at the moment!

    Our buyers have been incredibly patient but their mortgage offer expires at the end of the month.

    Our vendors seem to be playing silly beggars and not contacting their solicitor to instruct exchange.

    I need to arrange moving company to pack us up (not able to do it myself due to disability) and also arrange cattery for a few nights.

    I'm afraid to agree a completion date that does not give us time to arrange things (don't want to be the vendor who is still in situ when our buyers open the door!!!) but also afraid to lose our buyers due to their mortgage offer expiring. They have waited 6 months already, I suspect they might now be down to the wire regarding this
    • Mrs CP
    • By Mrs CP 18th Apr 17, 4:49 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Mrs CP
    We finally exchanged last Thursday - after an incredibly difficult six months. My experience of the English house buying process has put me off ever thinking about moving again. I have been stunned at the thoughtlessness of my fellow humans, and aghast at the level of incompetence that exists amongst the very people who can make it all happen.


    Now we just have moving day to get through!


    My advice to anyone starting this process is hold on tight, it will be a bumpy ride!
    • helmonade
    • By helmonade 20th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    helmonade
    Stressful isn't the word
    I'm on the edge of my tether.

    We put an offer in early January which was accepted, suggested completion date of 31st March. Perfect for us, OH had 2 weeks off for easter holidays. Closed our help to buy isas in March, signed our end of the contract, we were ready to go mid March.

    31st March came and went.

    Another suggested move in date on 18th April came. Found out top of the chain (in a chain of 3, us, our sellers and their sellers) didn't close their own isa so delayed everything. Another suggested move in date of 24th April now. We're still waiting. Every day I call my solicitors at least twice to get an update and every day I'm told it will happen today.

    Still waiting. V frustrated. Currently living in rented accomodation so don't want to hand notice in in case it all falls through & we won't have anywhere to live but each day is costing us extra in rent for a place we won't be living in & losing us the extra government help we would have had if our ISAs were still open.

    It's been the worst week ever.
    • HB58
    • By HB58 20th Apr 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    HB58
    Helmonade, I am sorry that you are going through this. I do hope it will soon by nothing more than a bad memory!

    We exchanged this morning! Completion 28th and, fortunately, removers can manage this, including packing. There is so much to do, I don't know where to start.
    • JigglyPug
    • By JigglyPug 20th Apr 17, 4:33 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    JigglyPug
    So sorry to hear about your bad week, Helmonade. Chains can be very complicated and laborious but I am sure you'll get there eventually

    We have officially exchanged after 6 months of waiting! It took the whole day to get it done and I was freaking out at 4pm, manically calling everyone and getting progressively angrier but we got there in the end. We complete tomorrow (talk about last minute!) so i'm sure tonight will be a sleepless night as we try to get everything packed before the movers arrive tomorrow. I'm just so happy to end this whole process and get into our new house - never again!
    • T21JMF
    • By T21JMF 20th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    T21JMF
    Well had phone call this afternoon to tell us the seller of the place we're buying has pulled out from where he is buying due to certain issues so 13 weeks of waiting and we're pretty much back to the beginning - so so angry at the moment it's untrue ��
    • HB58
    • By HB58 20th Apr 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    HB58
    JigglyPug, I hope everything goes well tomorrow. I don't envy you completing so soon, I thought 8 days was pushing it!

    T21JMF, I am so sorry everything has fallen through for you. Yesterday we thought we might be in this position, so you really do have my sympathy!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 21st Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hello. After a while on the market we are (tentatively) waiting to exchange.
    • JigglyPug
    • By JigglyPug 21st Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    JigglyPug
    Whew, we're in! We were up most of the night finishing off the packing but we're finally in! My washing machine doesn't fit in the kitchen, but that's a problem for another day! Good luck to everyone waiting to exchange and complete, I hope you all get there with the minimal amount of stress!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 21st Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Well done!

    Maybe a thread for completion day stories?
    • catlava
    • By catlava 22nd Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    catlava
    6 weeks in
    First viewed on 9th March and then spent 10th March scrabbling around to get an AiP as the EA wouldn't put forward an offer without one. I think that was the most stressful day of my life!
    Broker sorted the AiP before 9am on 13th March (I'll love her forever) and offer was accepted.
    We've since been to view it again, had a survey, electrical report, received quotes on roofing work and arranged for someone to look at a few other bits.

    So... I feel like we've done loads in 6 weeks, but our solicitor still hasn't received the draft contract from the vendors solicitor and are sat waiting... They've done the searches and I was hopeful that we could be in at the start of May - not so sure that is going to happen now. I spoke to the EA yesterday and they said that it had been sent on Wednesday via post - no idea why they don't email these things in this day and age!

    We're FTB and the house is empty / no probate - so is an exchange / completion for the first week in May a pipe dream? We're living in rented accommodation atm and have to give 30 days notice, so whilst a bit of overlap is fine, as we will be doing work on the new house, I don't really want to pay any more rent than is necessary...

    I really don't know how people deal with a chain!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 22nd Apr 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    I have done the whole thing in 4 weeks WITH a chain so not impossible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,849Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

  • RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

  • Follow Martin