Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 1:28 PM
    • 864Posts
    • 843Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • #1
    • 31st Mar 14, 1:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 1:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 430
    • missmoose
    • By missmoose 9th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    missmoose
    Ready to slam my head against a wall, was told that we will be able to talk about exchange dates by the end of this week, this has now change to in a week or two, with no reason given. I'm really losing my patients with our solicitor now! She always says she will ring us with updates when she gets them but she never does, then when we ring her she acts like we've really irritated her by ringing her as she gives us the updates that she had days ago but never bothered to ring us about. She never tells us what we're waiting for, she just tells us that she is waiting and if we ask why she gives a very vague answer. Would it be unreasonable to switch solicitors at this point? We have all the searches back. Would we still have to pay the full bill? We paid for searches and a small portion for the work that is done. She is just horrible and makes me feel stupid and talks as if we all have a law degree.
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 9th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Mrs36
    That would drive me mental missmoose but I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble of changing solicitors if you are almost there. Could you call and explain what you've said above and say that you need her to be clearer about what you are waiting for? She is working for you, remember.

    The one saving grace in this horrible process has been that our solicitor has been amazing. She has fielded issues with mortgage brokers and estate agents and has been worth every penny. I think I'd have had a nervous breakdown by now if it wasn't for her.
    • missmoose
    • By missmoose 9th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    missmoose
    It probably sounds so dumb but with how abrupt and irritated she already seems on the phone I'm scared to criticize her in case she puts us on the back burner, we've been jumping through all the loops since December already, we're just ready to exchange and complete now I don't want to do anything that might pee her off and make her intentionally delay it even more.
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 9th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Mrs36
    Doesn't sound dumb at all, I totally understand and the solicitor we used on our previous purchase was exactly the same. Could you ask your EA to have a word and try to speed them up a bit. Do you have any idea what you are waiting for?
    • Mrs CP
    • By Mrs CP 9th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Mrs CP
    Our buyer is at the bottom of the chain, with two vendors above us. We are on our second buyer as the first one pulled out, and everything is going according to plan. Well, apart from the fact that this buyer's solicitor has found that our house is in a flood risk area, which the previous buyer's solicitor did not. So we are still at the queries stage but hoping we should be in a position to talk dates soon. Had our first buyer not pulled out at the last minute, we would have been in our new house a month by now so I am more than ready to move.


    The vendor at the top of the chain has now announced that they have put a deposit down on a house and must exchange by 20 March or they will lose it. Previously they were going into rented accommodation so this is all news to us and puts pressure on everyone, but mostly me as I cannot and will not put pressure on my buyer, who is going through the motions at a pace, but I don't want to put her right off. I think it was totally unreasonable of the top vendor to do this but I have no idea what to do! I have responded to the flood risk (i.e. there has NEVER been a flood and the great big concrete culvert at the back of the property will see to that), but I cannot force my buyer to agree dates before she is ready??!! I just hope these people realise they can't do anything until we all agree.
    • tomatta
    • By tomatta 9th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    tomatta
    Well, just transferred all monies to the solicitor. Getting a bit more real now. Feels sickening handing over all that money haha
    • Dollymix12
    • By Dollymix12 9th Mar 17, 10:28 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Dollymix12
    Completion day tomorrow for us on our sale, just a bit more to put in storage in the morning and some cleaning to do and then we're done!! It's been a year since we put our house up for sale so it feels like it's been going on forever!! Only hope now that our purchase only takes a few more weeks so we're not living with the MIL for too long
    • kilowhat?
    • By kilowhat? 10th Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    kilowhat?
    Losing the plot!
    Good lord above! What on earth do we pay solicitor's for!? Still waiting to sign contracts - qeuries not being answered by vendor's solicitor, emails sent from my solicitor not recieved by vendor's solicitor - apparently! It took me ringing the vendor telling him to take every possible bit of paperwork and to look at the TA6 form which is filled in wrong and go and physically see his legal team then going into my solicitor's offices yesterday and giving them a testicle-ing! My solicitor tried playing the victim oh I have other cases and I spend 70% of my time away from the office. My responce - well I am sorry but I am paying A LOT of money for you to sort all this out. Not that I have anything else going on in my own life! Why when buying or selling a house does everyone need to have their hands held and bottys wiped?Sort it out people! Rant over I am hoping we sign and exchange next week to complete on 24th or 31st.... Not holding my breath.
    • amylou1107
    • By amylou1107 10th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    amylou1107
    Kilowhat? & Missmoose - totally feel your pain!!!
    Everyone in our chain is aiming for 31st March completion and i am getting slightly concerned that this is approaching fast!
    Solicitor said searches will be back this week - although feel like she has been saying that for a few weeks. Emailed her yesterday for an update and no response so will have to call today. Although when i call she is never available - not sure i have actually every spoken to her on the phone!! Dont like pestering here too much as she seems to get annoyed when i chase - but equally i need this sale to progress quickly

    Hoping that once searches are back then we can get an exchange date sorted. *Fingers Crossed*
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 10th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    samo8076
    The 'issue' i mentioned previously has been ok'd today (so the survey person said anyway), and all that's left now is the ok from the lender about an indemnity. EA has sad hopeful of an exchange Monday. Goin to be a long weekend.
    • kilowhat?
    • By kilowhat? 10th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    kilowhat?
    Amylou, do pester, do annoy them. It's the only way to make sure that it is all getting done. You CANNOT rely on these solicitors to do it for you. I will be physically seeing my seller today and ''seeing'' what he has emailed his solicitor. We have both decided to take it into our own hands as we both can't rely on others! They are effing useless these solicitors. Good luck and go and sit in the offices like I did yesterday if you get no joy over the phone or email!
    • richardwilson1984
    • By richardwilson1984 10th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    richardwilson1984
    This is so frustrating! We've done everything. All the searches, the surveys, our mortgage is OK'd, and we've returned all contracts and the deeds signed and good to go.

    That was over three weeks ago and we've since gone no further!

    I've rang the solicitor and chased every few days but they just say they haven't any update since we last spoke.

    Offer was accepted in December and it's chain-free!
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 10th Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    samo8076
    This is so frustrating! We've done everything. All the searches, the surveys, our mortgage is OK'd, and we've returned all contracts and the deeds signed and good to go.

    That was over three weeks ago and we've since gone no further!

    I've rang the solicitor and chased every few days but they just say they haven't any update since we last spoke.

    Offer was accepted in December and it's chain-free!
    Originally posted by richardwilson1984
    That's terrible
    • tacticalbanjo
    • By tacticalbanjo 10th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tacticalbanjo
    Found out yesterday that my buyer wants to complete by the end of April. He only made an offer on 1st March and we hadn't found a property at that stage so I don't know how he could possibly expect to complete by the end of April. Apparently his rental finishes then...

    He's lucky that we've had an offer accepted on a house already but our chain ends at a new build so no one will be going anywhere until the new build is ready to move into. Hopefully the agents and solicitors can make him see that things can only go as fast as they can go. My husband is mildly concerned that he will pull out when he realises he won't be in by the end of April but hopefully he will realise that he wouldn't be in anywhere by the end of April.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 10th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    All together now: ♫♪♫ I'm so tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting for YOOOOOOUUU!!!

    The problems are 100% with my buyers + their solicitor + their mortgage lender and I am getting so fed up of waiting and not being able to do anything about it. If I were to win a lottery, I'd tell the buyers to forget it and just go on and buy my new place without bothering to sell here.
    • stardust09
    • By stardust09 10th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    stardust09
    All together now: ♫♪♫ I'm so tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting for YOOOOOOUUU!!!

    The problems are 100% with my buyers + their solicitor + their mortgage lender and I am getting so fed up of waiting and not being able to do anything about it. If I were to win a lottery, I'd tell the buyers to forget it and just go on and buy my new place without bothering to sell here.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    I know the feeling! After 7 long weeks, the management company involved in my flat purchase have finally sent the completed enquiry paperwork over to my solicitor - after promising to do it on Wednesday! What an immense relief. I just hope it's watertight because if there are any follow-up questions then I'll still be on this thread in March 2018....!

    Every step forward is a milestone and not easily attained, it seems.
    • jack_1992
    • By jack_1992 11th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jack_1992
    And relax!
    We completed yesterday at 9.30am but as both at work til 6, couldn't get keys until today.
    So now starts the fun of decorating and making it our own.
    Total time from full application to completion was 5 weeks which is nothing really but not sure I'd hurry back again!

    Good luck to everyone else still waiting, I hope it goes smoothly as it can for you.
    • Becsie
    • By Becsie 11th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Becsie
    Also going through the utter hell that others have described here. My flat went under offer in the first week of October and my offer was accepted on the new build I wanted 2 hours later. Still haven't exchanged. Something seems to go wrong every 3 days and it all nearly falls apart. This time the seller of the house I am buying has suddenly gone quiet and I'm in a blind panic thinking he's given up on me. 3 identical houses have all sold hassle free, my solicitor seems to be requesting more documents and information than the solicitors working on the other three houses ever did. It simply seems the seller doesn't have these documents (even though he really should). Really don't know what to do, and of course on top of it all I am at serious risk of losing my buyer.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 52,504 Posts
    • 44,777 Thanks
    Thrugelmir

    Offer was accepted in December and it's chain-free!
    Originally posted by richardwilson1984
    Have you asked the EA what's going on?
    “A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against ‘a rainy day’.”
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 13th Mar 17, 9:26 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    samo8076
    Really hoping to exchange today. My solicitor has heard nothing more since early last week from the buyers solicitor but is chasing this morning. I don't know how much more I can take
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,871Users online

Martin's Twitter