Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 372
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 18th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Good Luck Levs and JoJo for tomorrow! Welcome to the thread Foion - here's hoping you have a smooth ride! Just going to read back on todays activities.

I've come down with something and my voice has disappeared. Hubby excitedly told me I sounded like a welsh Holly Willoughby this morning... haha!

Solcitor responded today to a query I sent yesterday regarding time between exchange and completion. Think they like to have a small timeframe...around 5 days!

I'm looking forward to exchange but it means it's closer to the time we have to put everything into storage and move in with my mam. The longer it goes on for, the less time we will have before the new house is ready.
    Last edited by Bonfire Bride; 18-10-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 18th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Neilio - It sounds like an awful situation to be in. It's great that the newbuild developers are not pushing for exchange...however, this will begin to happen shortly.

Not sure what is going on with your buyers solicitor but I would just wait to see what the EA says about the face to face meeting. It sounds like you are just looking for reassurance that the sale is still going ahead and I completely understand this.

Hopefully a good nights sleep will make things better for all parties involved tomorrow.

If no contact from buyers by Friday, then contact them directly...via email preferably.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 19th Oct 16, 6:05 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    lcc86
    Good luck today everyone!! Fingers crossed
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    neilio
    The purchaser solicitor is an old man; he qualified as a lawyer in 1970. My solicitor is a woman who has been practicing for at least ten years (that's how long my EA has known her). Early in the process, the purchaser solicitor didn't want to touch the transaction because it's former shared ownership and he didn't like the Lease. My solicitor "showed him up" by arranging a Deed of Variation to satisfy his concerns. Since then, he has been nothing but difficult. He continues to ask the same questions over and over again which we have already answered repeatedly. I suspect he is doing this deliberately to get back at her. He's probably a mysoginist and didn't like being told he was wrong by a younger woman at the very start.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 19th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    The EA are painfully slow with any correspondence the email address is just a branch email no personal emails i just want to exchange but I don't think she will do that till hers is ready
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 6:59 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    neilio
    I am so stressed and worried about my buyer's solicitor's behaviour, I'm starting to think it might be homophobic - we are a same-sex married couple. I don't want to go there, but it makes me wonder.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 19th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I am so stressed and worried about my buyer's solicitor's behaviour, I'm starting to think it might be homophobic - we are a same-sex married couple. I don't want to go there, but it makes me wonder.
    Originally posted by neilio
    Ok, now you are reading all sorts of things into it. He's late 60s therefore doddery. He's a misogynist. He's a homophobe.

None of that really matters. Just get that deadline in, and either they exchange, or your buyers have a bill and nothing to show for it (won't make them happy!) and everyone moves on, or the EAs work their magic and get it all shifting.

Stop over thinking, start being explicit with YOUR solicitor about what happens next. And keep your powder dry. Don't have a big rant or a flounce when you are so close!
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 19th Oct 16, 7:31 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Another sleepless night. Literally had 2 hours as my brain wouldn't shut off. I did make it stop stressing by thinking about nice things like carpet colours and wall paper but it kept going back to stressing. Hopefully exchange today.
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 7:39 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    neilio
    Another sleepless night. Literally had 2 hours as my brain wouldn't shut off. I did make it stop stressing by thinking about nice things like carpet colours and wall paper but it kept going back to stressing. Hopefully exchange today.
    Originally posted by Levs01
    I'm right there with you, my friend. I did sleep, but only because I took an ambien. Annoyingly, it was my last one!!
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    neilio
    BrassicWoman, I know you are right. I hate these people and how much power they have.
    • Foion
    • By Foion 19th Oct 16, 7:47 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Foion
    Thanks BB

I have to chase up the solicitor today to make sure they're onboard with the timescale outlined (its tight, but the quicker everything is checked the better IMO)

My current address was listed incorrectly on the last document the EA sent through to me, so I need to get that fixed - possibly my fault, we've been busy in work and I was doing multiple things whilst on the phone to them.

Good luck everyone, hope there's good news coming your way.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Oct 16, 7:57 AM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    glentoran99
    The EA are painfully slow with any correspondence the email address is just a branch email no personal emails i just want to exchange but I don't think she will do that till hers is ready
    Originally posted by jojo9239
    My estate agent was the same, However its not hard to find individuals email addresses and use them
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 19th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Congrats Korra, the 27th will come round quickly, here's to a smooth move for you!

Welcome back Chickenmumma and with a quick exchange / completion in the offing too! Well done!

Welcome Foion and Neilio, stressful situations all round, timescales bring their own stresses, let's hope something can get sorted. Neilio, I'd certainly be harassing the EA, you'll be paying their fee remember, for the fact that they introduced this buyer, so they should be doing everything they can to get this sorted for you. They should be talking to the buyer and buyers solicitor much more on your behalf, you shouldn't have to contact them yourselves (although I understand why you want to)!

Another day working and hoping the solicitors and EA etc are working hard to getbtheir parts done. Will be popping signed contract for our purchase back to solicitor during my lunchbreak, then more waiting. Plumber coming to repair heating valve later too, so new owners will be toasty here (and so that we can stay warm in the meantime) ...!

Lcc, Jojo and Levs, really hoping today's the day for you, you certainly all deserve for the pain to finally be over and BOnfire, I know it's a case of the longer the better after exchange for you, but either way best of luck for the exchange after such a looooooong road to a successful sale for you.

Here's to a Work-It Wednesday for everyone, where the professionals will do what's needed to work it out and get it done! PN x
    Last edited by PlaysNicely; 19-10-2016 at 9:02 AM. Reason: Deftness, just daftness
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 19th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    Waiting on our lenders valuation and some information RE: the mortgage. They offered us it originally and now want more information. hopefully it's just the confirmation from my work. Hope they get their fingers out today and do it! Want to move forward now
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    neilio
    Welcome Foion and Neilio, stressful situations all round, timescales bring their own stresses, let's hope so,etching can get sorted. Neilio, I'd certainly be harassing the EA, you'll be paying their fee remember, for the fact that they introduced this buyer, so they should be doing everything they can to get this sorted for you. They should be talking to the buyer and buyers solicitor much more on your behalf, you shouldn't have to contact them yourselves (although I understand why you want to)!
    Originally posted by PlaysNicely
    Thanks, PlaysNicely. Apparently, the EA is in regular contact with the buyer and tries to speak to the buyer's solicitor if he can get through the secretary. From what I'm told, the buyer is very ill-informed by what exactly is being discussed between both parties, and his solicitor is, allegedly, a friend of the family, which makes it even more sensitive when the EA tries to tell the buyer what his solicitor is up to. It is absolutely ridiculous. But I will hang in there as best I can. We have delivered an ultimatum that exchange must happen this week. Not sure how well I can hold my nerve if it does come to having to withdraw the sale or not.
    • Korra
    • By Korra 19th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    Good luck Levs. I was the same on Friday with 2 hours of sleep.

Originally posted by Levs01
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • Korra
    • By Korra 19th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    Thanks PN. I don't actually move into the house until the 5th of November or even later as I have the rented flat until end of November. I ordered the cupboard and drawers for my room yesterday so I could get a weekend delivery date with IKEA. I have a removals company coming on Saturday to give me a quote. I don't actually have a lot to move but unable to move the bulky stuff (i.e mattress, 2 seater sofa and my table) by myself.

Have you had any indication on when you might exchange?

Congrats Korra, the 27th will come round quickly, here's to a smooth move for you!

Welcome back Chickenmumma and with a quick exchange / completion in the offing too! Well done!

Welcome Foion and Neilio, stressful situations all round, timescales bring their own stresses, let's hope something can get sorted. Neilio, I'd certainly be harassing the EA, you'll be paying their fee remember, for the fact that they introduced this buyer, so they should be doing everything they can to get this sorted for you. They should be talking to the buyer and buyers solicitor much more on your behalf, you shouldn't have to contact them yourselves (although I understand why you want to)!

Another day working and hoping the solicitors and EA etc are working hard to getbtheir parts done. Will be popping signed contract for our purchase back to solicitor during my lunchbreak, then more waiting. Plumber coming to repair heating valve later too, so new owners will be toasty here (and so that we can stay warm in the meantime) ...!

Lcc, Jojo and Levs, really hoping today's the day for you, you certainly all deserve for the pain to finally be over and BOnfire, I know it's a case of the longer the better after exchange for you, but either way best of luck for the exchange after such a looooooong road to a successful sale for you.

Here's to a Work-It Wednesday for everyone, where the professionals will do what's needed to work it out and get it done! PN x
    Originally posted by PlaysNicely
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • lifeofunmumsy
    • By lifeofunmumsy 19th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    lifeofunmumsy
    Morning forum friends,

a sleepless night here too - I feel for all of us who are working today on limited sleep... 2 hours for me! am currently sat at work with a huge cup of coffee and matching palpitations lol.

So, it's now looking less hopful for us again - our buyer emailed overnight to say they're struggling to get home insurance sorted because they don't currently have a UK address or tel number. Also mentioned flood risk. I sent them back that floodrisk fully covered by all insurers we've had over the years and that we pay a competitve price for our insurance every year with no issues. Today will be day 3 we should have exchanged with a move date set for Monday - I have however tried to put that out of my head and feeling pretty gutted that we started clearing out at the weekend and looking at new furniture thinking this was definetley it.

Best of luck to you all today if you're waiting on exchange. For me it's a day of lots of caffiene and less hope than the last 2 days.

I have to say, it's been 12 weeks since we accepted the offer on our home and I am totally exhausted, I know others have been going much longer and I have huge respect for you all. I am drinking far too much weekday wine at the moment!!
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    neilio
    I just want to applaud the camaraderie of this thread!

My EA has put us in direct contact with the buyers by email this morning. I have sent an email to all explaining the situation and informing them of our ultimatum. No response from the buyers yet. I suspect they are quite frightened because they are FTB and, according to their solicitor's correspondence, their solicitor does not keep them in the loop with what is going on and shan't until he is satisfied. Therefore, this was all probably new to them. They needed to know, and now they do. Let's see what happens.

I have a telecon with my solicitor this afternoon to discuss what the **** we are supposed to do.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 19th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Jox
    Good luck neilio, my buyer's solicitor scuppered my sale so I understand your frustrations. I hope you have a better outcome x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,881Posts Today

6,207Users online

Martin's Twitter