Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 371
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 18th Oct 16, 5:22 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jojo9239
    My solicitor has rang she has finished everything and is sending me her final report she's also sent this to our lenders so just waiting on news about her purchase
    • neilio
    • By neilio 18th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    The estate agent has now suggested that perhaps I should contact the buyer directly, if it will get me the answers I am looking for. It seems like the buyer's solicitor is intentionally trying to put an end to this transaction. I know lawyers are heartless but, honestly, do they really behave that way just to put their ego ahead of their client wanting to buy a property?
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 18th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Levs01
    The estate agent has now suggested that perhaps I should contact the buyer directly, if it will get me the answers I am looking for. It seems like the buyer's solicitor is intentionally trying to put an end to this transaction. I know lawyers are heartless but, honestly, do they really behave that way just to put their ego ahead of their client wanting to buy a property?
    Originally posted by neilio
    Surely the estate agent had the purchasers details. Can they not contact them on you behalf and say that you've requested a meeting at their premises (neutral safe ground) and then discuss in person? I really don't think contacting them via social media is acceptable.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 18th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Ask your solicitor to give them a firm deadline. Don't go direct; you will only get cross!
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 gricercy challenge 0/£100
    • neilio
    • By neilio 18th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    I've told the solicitor to give the ultimatum and I've asked the EA to facilitate a face-to-face meeting. Let's see what happens.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 18th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    lcc86
    Neilio your situation echoes mine a little, although for me it's my buyer's actual solicitor who are the problem. I did threaten to withdraw at one stage last week, although have to say it was probably an empty threat tbh having come so far... But it's so exasperating at times that I completely understand your frustrations. If you're gonna meet, make sure the EA or someone is there to help.

We didn't exchange today, my buyer wasn't ready (after all their pushing lol) but look set to do so tomorrow.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £317 saved
    • Foion
    • By Foion 18th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Foion
    guess i'll join in ^^;;
    i've been lurking on this thread for a few weeks and its finally time to join in the waits.
    low bid put in on a repo in a great part of town (for me), bid, after much back and forth trying to get me to budge they accepted my original offer.
    the notices are up and the quicker all the searches (and the formal mortgage agreement) come in the better, every phonecall i've had today gave me some mild panic ^^ - weeks/months of this, i dont know how any of you have coped!
    • neilio
    • By neilio 18th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    lcc86, in fact it is the buyer's solicitor causing me the problem. They pretty much admitted in today's letter to my solicitor that they are not in touch with the buyer about anything until these last remaining issues are addressed. The issues have been addressed repeatedly by my solicitor again today, and she has had to resort to language such as "I am astounded that you...", "I have told you time and time again..." and "I am frankly exasperated by your repeated unnecessary enquiries and so are my clients" in her response back.

The estate agent summed it up by saying "He [the purchaser solicitor] is in full control and will not be told otherwise."

The reason I want to speak to the buyer is to understand what they make of all of this, because I don't believe they are aware of what is going on. If they want the flat as much as the EA says they do, then they need to understand. If I was in their position, I'd want to know if it's about to fall apart.

I wonder if your buyer's solicitor is the same as mine. Is it ok to name and shame people on this forum?
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 18th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    lcc86
    lcc86, in fact it is the buyer's solicitor causing me the problem. They pretty much admitted in today's letter to my solicitor that they are not in touch with the buyer about anything until these last remaining issues are addressed. The issues have been addressed repeatedly by my solicitor again today, and she has had to resort to language such as "I am astounded that you...", "I have told you time and time again..." and "I am frankly exasperated by your repeated unnecessary enquiries and so are my clients" in her response back.

The estate agent summed it up by saying "He [the purchaser solicitor] is in full control and will not be told otherwise."

The reason I want to speak to the buyer is to understand what they make of all of this, because I don't believe they are aware of what is going on. If they want the flat as much as the EA says they do, then they need to understand. If I was in their position, I'd want to know if it's about to fall apart.

I wonder if your buyer's solicitor is the same as mine. Is it ok to name and shame people on this forum?
    Erm if it's not okay it's too late for me cos I have already done so!!! A few days ago I named them on here, oops!

My buyer's solicitor was very VERY similar, kept coming back with repeated queries despite them being answered and didn't really keep my buyer fully in the loop from what I understand. I got the EA involved and they really helped push things along after weeks of going round in circles.

• neilio
    • By neilio 18th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    lcc86, I just PM'd you my buyer's solicitor's name and law firm. Although, oddly, it's not showing in my Sent box!
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 18th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Good Luck Levs and JoJo for tomorrow! Welcome to the thread Foion - here's hoping you have a smooth ride! Just going to read back on todays activities.

I've come down with something and my voice has disappeared. Hubby excitedly told me I sounded like a welsh Holly Willoughby this morning... haha!

Solcitor responded today to a query I sent yesterday regarding time between exchange and completion. Think they like to have a small timeframe...around 5 days!

I'm looking forward to exchange but it means it's closer to the time we have to put everything into storage and move in with my mam. The longer it goes on for, the less time we will have before the new house is ready.
    Last edited by Bonfire Bride; 18-10-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 18th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Neilio - It sounds like an awful situation to be in. It's great that the newbuild developers are not pushing for exchange...however, this will begin to happen shortly.

Not sure what is going on with your buyers solicitor but I would just wait to see what the EA says about the face to face meeting. It sounds like you are just looking for reassurance that the sale is still going ahead and I completely understand this.

Hopefully a good nights sleep will make things better for all parties involved tomorrow.

If no contact from buyers by Friday, then contact them directly...via email preferably.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 19th Oct 16, 6:05 AM
    • 871 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    lcc86
    Good luck today everyone!! Fingers crossed

• neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    The purchaser solicitor is an old man; he qualified as a lawyer in 1970. My solicitor is a woman who has been practicing for at least ten years (that's how long my EA has known her). Early in the process, the purchaser solicitor didn't want to touch the transaction because it's former shared ownership and he didn't like the Lease. My solicitor "showed him up" by arranging a Deed of Variation to satisfy his concerns. Since then, he has been nothing but difficult. He continues to ask the same questions over and over again which we have already answered repeatedly. I suspect he is doing this deliberately to get back at her. He's probably a mysoginist and didn't like being told he was wrong by a younger woman at the very start.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 19th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jojo9239
    The EA are painfully slow with any correspondence the email address is just a branch email no personal emails i just want to exchange but I don't think she will do that till hers is ready
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 6:59 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    I am so stressed and worried about my buyer's solicitor's behaviour, I'm starting to think it might be homophobic - we are a same-sex married couple. I don't want to go there, but it makes me wonder.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 19th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I am so stressed and worried about my buyer's solicitor's behaviour, I'm starting to think it might be homophobic - we are a same-sex married couple. I don't want to go there, but it makes me wonder.
    Ok, now you are reading all sorts of things into it. He's late 60s therefore doddery. He's a misogynist. He's a homophobe.

None of that really matters. Just get that deadline in, and either they exchange, or your buyers have a bill and nothing to show for it (won't make them happy!) and everyone moves on, or the EAs work their magic and get it all shifting.

Stop over thinking, start being explicit with YOUR solicitor about what happens next. And keep your powder dry. Don't have a big rant or a flounce when you are so close!
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 gricercy challenge 0/£100
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 19th Oct 16, 7:31 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Levs01
    Another sleepless night. Literally had 2 hours as my brain wouldn't shut off. I did make it stop stressing by thinking about nice things like carpet colours and wall paper but it kept going back to stressing. Hopefully exchange today.
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 7:39 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    Another sleepless night. Literally had 2 hours as my brain wouldn't shut off. I did make it stop stressing by thinking about nice things like carpet colours and wall paper but it kept going back to stressing. Hopefully exchange today.
    Originally posted by Levs01
    I'm right there with you, my friend. I did sleep, but only because I took an ambien. Annoyingly, it was my last one!!
    • neilio
    • By neilio 19th Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    BrassicWoman, I know you are right. I hate these people and how much power they have.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,153Posts Today

9,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin