Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 368
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 17th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    unmumsy - Good Luck! I'm not sure about time scales on exchange, but usually the deposit is transferred so it may be around 3:30pm for some solicitors. I have everything crossed for you.

ICx86 - hoping to hear it has all gone to plan today.

I've started bossing hubby around now...have told him he needs to sort out garden shed, clear loft and take our dining table to my friends (she's having it).

Solicitor emailed to say she is pushing for a completion date (no mention of eXchange) and wants me to keep her updated with the EA complaint.

Fees of 250.0 have been paid (again) for conveyancing on new property.
    Last edited by Bonfire Bride; 17-10-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• ap1985
    • By ap1985 17th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    ap1985
    Hi Everyone,

So sorry to see some of you still didn't get your exhange last week - so frustrating!

My situation finally has got a little clearer (I hope!). After 2.5 weeks of my sale essentially being 'on hold', my buyer phoned our EA just before the weekend and said they'd decided to go ahead with the purchase - que lots of tears of relief on my part!

We set a completion date for a week today, the 24th and we're moving to my parents until our new house is ready to complete, as we just don't want to delay anything now.

Thing is, I should feel relieved and happy, but last night I was awake all night terrified that it was all a dream and that our buyers would pull out before exchange.

Currently sat at work a bag of nerves waiting to hear if we exchange today or not. Apparently all it's waiting on is the buyers funds to arrive with their solicitor. Does any one know if there's a particular time to exchange by? we aren't in any kind of chain, it's just my sale that's exchanging to cash buyers. My solicitor goes on holiday tomorrow and she's so amazing I'm dreading what will happen if it doesn't exchange today - last time she went on holiday we heard nothing from her locum.

argh, sat here just hoping and praying we exchange today.

Good luck to all who are waiting for some news today!!
    Originally posted by lifeofunmumsy

Good luck to you and I pray that exchange happens for you today.

I don't think there is a specific time period for exchange to occur as ours happened at 5pm on a Friday lol
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 17th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    lcc86
    Glad to hear you've had some good news lifeofunmumsy! Sorry not got a clue about exchange time, I think someone on here mentioned 3.30pm as being the latest? But could be wrong.

I don't have a clue when we're going to exchange now, spoke to my EA today and my buyer said she's really keen to exchange but won't do it until her solicitor says it's okay to do so. Even though the solicitors are asking the same questions over and over again. Seems no one in this chain can see sense... My EA has sent an email to the solicitor saying they're jeopardising the entire chain and need to sort themselves out! But I hold out very little hope, seems they will only be ready in their own time and nothing will push them any quicker!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £242 saved
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 17th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jojo9239
    My solictor shuts at 4 on Fridays so they advise 3:30

God I hate this waiting 5 weeks and counting! Good luck everyone
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 17th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    We exchanged at 4.30 but it was touch and go so think they can exchange up to time they close .We have arranged for our phone and tv broadband for day after move.House is empty no phone ect .Know how you feel when you say your solicitor is going on holiday that's what happened to us which nearly cost us to loose our exchange as the one taking over only worked till 3. o'clock. Sat in living room while our removal company box everything up just managed to save my husbands shoes from being packed!! Where will it all fit in new house as were downsizing !!!!!! Have to live like this for 2 more days till we move but after the nightmare we went through this is just a minor thing
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 17th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    Hi Everyone,

So sorry to see some of you still didn't get your exhange last week - so frustrating!

My situation finally has got a little clearer (I hope!). After 2.5 weeks of my sale essentially being 'on hold', my buyer phoned our EA just before the weekend and said they'd decided to go ahead with the purchase - que lots of tears of relief on my part!

We set a completion date for a week today, the 24th and we're moving to my parents until our new house is ready to complete, as we just don't want to delay anything now.

Thing is, I should feel relieved and happy, but last night I was awake all night terrified that it was all a dream and that our buyers would pull out before exchange.

Currently sat at work a bag of nerves waiting to hear if we exchange today or not. Apparently all it's waiting on is the buyers funds to arrive with their solicitor. Does any one know if there's a particular time to exchange by? we aren't in any kind of chain, it's just my sale that's exchanging to cash buyers. My solicitor goes on holiday tomorrow and she's so amazing I'm dreading what will happen if it doesn't exchange today - last time she went on holiday we heard nothing from her locum.

argh, sat here just hoping and praying we exchange today.

Good luck to all who are waiting for some news today!!
    Originally posted by lifeofunmumsy
    Glad your situation has got better lets hope it happens today for you know the feeling of just waiting for that phone call. If some one else is taking over keep phoning them to not let it just sit on their desk .
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 17th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    Can I join in please? My current situation is this - have been renting for the last year following divorce and found the 'perfect' new start house for me and my little one in September. No chain either on my end or the seller's end so 'should' be a straightforward sale. The sellers are keen to complete the first week of December if not before which suits me as we can be in before Christmas!

We had a few hiccups following the survey (the surveyor said the house was overpriced but the seller agreed to drop the price) but this endless waiting for responses is frustrating to say the least. I know my solicitors well on a personal level so think the hold-ups are on the end of the sellers solicitors.

The content/fittings form finally arrived early last week but some of it seems to be incorrectly filled so I have gone back with questions. I've asked to send in an electrician and a gas engineer to look in more detail (as recommended by the survey) and havn't heard back about that after nearly 3 weeks. A bit frustrating really.

In the meantime I want to start looking at removal companies (impatient me!) and am thinking about when to notify my letting agents that we're moving but don't want to be jumping the gun too soon!
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    LBM Debt March 12 - £3,241 Paid Aug 2014!
    Debt 2 - 0% CC (till Oct 17) - £2,021.22
    • Korra
    • By Korra 17th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Korra
    Hello all,

The waiting game starts again. I have had a call from the estate agent this morning saying that the seller needs to complete by the 27th otherwise her seller will withdraw from the sale. Don't understand why someone would withdraw so close to the end and have to start the whole process again. I have emailed my solicitors and told them to do what they think is best as 27/28th doesn't make a difference for me.

The solicitors have said they are going to hear back from the mortgage lender by close of business today so exchange should be today/tomorrow depending on when they get the go ahead.

Keeping busy at work is definitely helping today.

Good luck to all waiting for exchange and hopefully the rest have some progression.
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB Complete 27.10.2016
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 17,267 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well I'm back off to the looking for a house to buy thread. We pulled out this morning having decided even if the vendor would change his mind and include the side path in the sale, we didn't want to live next door to him anyway.

8 weeks and nearly £1K wasted. The really annoying thing is another property we would have been interested in along the street has come up for sale and been sold in that time, it's with the same agent, so I've expressed very strong interest in it when explaining to the agent this morning our reasons for not progressing. If something goes wrong there he'll let us know. TBF he didn't know about the vendor's tricks with this path and could see why we didn't want to continue.
    • jodiepoke
    • By jodiepoke 17th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    jodiepoke
    Well I'm back off to the looking for a house to buy thread. We pulled out this morning having decided even if the vendor would change his mind and include the side path in the sale, we didn't want to live next door to him anyway.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I have done the same! The seller was messing us about, withholding information and being very slow at replying. I am glad that issues came up because it made us stop to think and the flat isn't what we wanted anymore and we can afford a better property..and a freehold! We have a list of properties lined up to view so fingers crossed we will be back on here soon!
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 17th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Levs01
    I hope everyone gets what they need today. LCC I'm right there with you today. I'm at my wits end as I've no flipping clue what the bottom of the chain is doing. Don't know if they've signed or if they plan too. Apparently they've said 31st completion is good for them but what difference does that make if they haven't signed the damn form. Nothing will happen till then. I'm pulling my hair out as we should be exchanging by today and no one has a clue what's going on. I'm really struggling and am at the point of telling them to shove it and go hibernate for a few months. Even if they say they not ready to sign just let us know what they are doing.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 17th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jojo9239
    I have done the same! The seller was messing us about, withholding information and being very slow at replying. I am glad that issues came up because it made us stop to think and the flat isn't what we wanted anymore and we can afford a better property..and a freehold! We have a list of properties lined up to view so fingers crossed we will be back on here soon!
    Originally posted by jodiepoke
    We did this it will work out in the end we have found an even better property now
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 2,699 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    lee111s
    Buyer's solicitor now has confirmation of gifted deposit is acceptable from the lender.

Passed the onward contract to my solicitor who tells me after all the chasing my house builder have been doing, are now missing a form they require from their end before the contracts can be exchanged. You couldn't make it up

She's still expecting it to be all done and dusted by close of play today.
    • kellsm
    • By kellsm 17th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    kellsm
    Hi everyone could use some advice if possible.

We are right at the point of exchange (for the second time, our buyers pulled out in June so it's taken us till now to get back to this point).

We are in a chain of 7 that was meant to exchange almost 2 weeks ago.

We are the second bottom of the chain and have found out that the third top is a divorcing couple who are selling up and the wife is buying her new place with the proceeds of their sale.

The whole chain is ready to go, but the wife won't send her part of the contract back signed until she gets a document from her husband that she has been waiting for. The estate agent said she's committed to buying the house 100% but needs whatever her husband has first so Is basically holding him to ransom.

The solicitors have tried to push but she's backed right off saying she feels pressured (duh). So we are having to give her a weeks "breathing space" so they won't chase her till at least the end of the week.

Then Being a few links up the chain I just want to know if there is anything we can do? Obviously if this drags on ultimatums from our side won't work as we can't threaten to pull out as she's not our seller.

I'm pregnant and we really need to move in the next couple of months. 2 babies and a teenager with us in a 2 bedroom flat does not add up

Any advice would be fab

Thank you! ..
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 17th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Slinky...thats horrible...especially the money spent. Hope you find your dream home soon. You too Jodie!

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• Korra
    • By Korra 17th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Korra
    lee111s, for a minute there I thought you were my seller as I have just had the confirmation from the lender regarding the gifted deposit.

Fingers crossed for you...

Buyer's solicitor now has confirmation of gifted deposit is acceptable from the lender.

Passed the onward contract to my solicitor who tells me after all the chasing my house builder have been doing, are now missing a form they require from their end before the contracts can be exchanged. You couldn't make it up

She's still expecting it to be all done and dusted by close of play today.
    Originally posted by lee111s
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB Complete 27.10.2016
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 17th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    lcc86
    I hope everyone gets what they need today. LCC I'm right there with you today. I'm at my wits end as I've no flipping clue what the bottom of the chain is doing. Don't know if they've signed or if they plan too. Apparently they've said 31st completion is good for them but what difference does that make if they haven't signed the damn form. Nothing will happen till then. I'm pulling my hair out as we should be exchanging by today and no one has a clue what's going on. I'm really struggling and am at the point of telling them to shove it and go hibernate for a few months. Even if they say they not ready to sign just let us know what they are doing.
    Originally posted by Levs01
    I am right there with you! Sometimes I feel like telling them I've had enough and the sale is off! Keep getting told a date for exchange and it never happens! At least we have this forum to vent. Seems this is relatively common unfortunately. Cancelled my sofa which was meant to be delivered next week as I no longer trust the whole "we'll exchange by Friday" line...
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £242 saved
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 17th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Hi everyone could use some advice if possible.

We are right at the point of exchange (for the second time, our buyers pulled out in June so it's taken us till now to get back to this point).

We are in a chain of 7 that was meant to exchange almost 2 weeks ago.

We are the second bottom of the chain and have found out that the third top is a divorcing couple who are selling up and the wife is buying her new place with the proceeds of their sale.

The whole chain is ready to go, but the wife won't send her part of the contract back signed until she gets a document from her husband that she has been waiting for. The estate agent said she's committed to buying the house 100% but needs whatever her husband has first so Is basically holding him to ransom.

The solicitors have tried to push but she's backed right off saying she feels pressured (duh). So we are having to give her a weeks "breathing space" so they won't chase her till at least the end of the week.

Then Being a few links up the chain I just want to know if there is anything we can do? Obviously if this drags on ultimatums from our side won't work as we can't threaten to pull out as she's not our seller.

I'm pregnant and we really need to move in the next couple of months. 2 babies and a teenager with us in a 2 bedroom flat does not add up

Any advice would be fab

Thank you! ..
    Originally posted by kellsm

To be honest, there is not a lot you can do. She has already said that she is feeling pressurised so adding an ultimatum may cause further stress. I would allow the week "breathing space" but get a plan ready.

What does your solicitor say?

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 17th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    mattk_180
    kellsm - That sounds like such a horrible situation!

I think they only thing to do is hope she gets her act in order sharpish.

In terms of ultimatums, they only way to do it is give your seller an ultimatum, which means they give an ultimatum to there's etc. etc. until it gets up the chain to her. Would seem very dangerous with a chain like that though.
    • kellsm
    • By kellsm 17th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    kellsm
    Thanks guys, we don't really want to give any ultimatum but we need time to find a house we can't stay in this flat once baby comes. We are caught in a horrid situation to be honest.

We haven't spoke to our solicitor about this part this has all come through the agents who have told our solitcitor What's going on so she's holding off until given the go ahead. Should we speak to her about it so you think?

We are literally stuck. If it goes another few weeks we will have to seriously reconsider what we are doing. Will be devastated if this happens to us again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,350Users online

Martin's Twitter