Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 367
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 14th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    Thought I wasn't going to update again this week!

So I instructed my solicitor to carry out an enhanced flood risk search.

They are doing this. However, they keep badgering the vendors solicitor for their old flood search. The reason "We do not require however the vendor says he has done one. Just need clarity on what was actually done"

So they are asking for a report that was carried out before significant development in the surrounding area was carried out?!

Is it just me, or does this seem a complete waste of time when we're trying to get the freeholder to confirm lease charges for the last two weeks?!

• MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 14th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Sorry to hear about all the issues you've had. I can't believe someone can completely ignore the estate agent and solicitors. Have you started looking at other properties?
    Originally posted by Korra
    We have and there's quite a few decent deals out there especially as our local area seems to be quite sluggish. It's just hard to give up on this property when we got so emotionally invested. It's so silly and naive but after they accepted our offer I remember talking about how to redecorate with my partner; silly things like lets replace the blinds with curtains here to get more of the sun in the morning... rather pathetic of us now thinking back.

I think though we've learnt from this situation and our main advice to anyone going through something similar is firstly don't trust a word estates agents says (they told us on five separate occasions that completion would be soon, but I doubt they'd even talked to the vendor they were just making it up as they went along,) and most importantly don't be scared to make ultimatums because either you get what you want (if it's a reasonable request) or you find out far sooner that the other party isn't serious and just wasting time.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    *big sigh*

• jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 14th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    Update from us our vendor is super quick at responding my solicitor says they asked for enquiries Monday and they responded Wednesday said they asked them for indemnity policy to do with the leasehold and she took it out no questions which they say is promising. Emailed EA twice about dates nothing which isn't surprising! Aiming for 11th!
    • Korra
    • By Korra 14th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    We have and there's quite a few decent deals out there especially as our local area seems to be quite sluggish. It's just hard to give up on this property when we got so emotionally invested. It's so silly and naive but after they accepted our offer I remember talking about how to redecorate with my partner; silly things like lets replace the blinds with curtains here to get more of the sun in the morning... rather pathetic of us now thinking back.

I think though we've learnt from this situation and our main advice to anyone going through something similar is firstly don't trust a word estates agents says (they told us on five separate occasions that completion would be soon, but I doubt they'd even talked to the vendor they were just making it up as they went along,) and most importantly don't be scared to make ultimatums because either you get what you want (if it's a reasonable request) or you find out far sooner that the other party isn't serious and just wasting time.
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    It took my vendor over 3 months to find a property she liked and had her offer accepted. I had started making plans also and when I decided to start looking at other properties, I would always compare with this property. I was so not ready to let it go. I went to view it yesterday and used that time to do some measuring. As soon as I got back home, I started looking at wardrobes, washing machines and fridge freezers.

There have been other properties before this one where I fell in love with and would start making plans only for someone to put a crazy offer in. I started not getting my hopes up high but when my offer was accepted on this property I already started making plans about whats going where, what needs changing, etc. It is so hard not to get excited.

I do hope your vendor realises he needs to start communicating and move forward with the process.
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 14th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    It took my vendor over 3 months to find a property she liked and had her offer accepted. I had started making plans also and when I decided to start looking at other properties, I would always compare with this property. I was so not ready to let it go. I went to view it yesterday and used that time to do some measuring. As soon as I got back home, I started looking at wardrobes, washing machines and fridge freezers.

There have been other properties before this one where I fell in love with and would start making plans only for someone to put a crazy offer in. I started not getting my hopes up high but when my offer was accepted on this property I already started making plans about whats going where, what needs changing, etc. It is so hard not to get excited.

I do hope your vendor realises he needs to start communicating and move forward with the process.
    Originally posted by Korra
    Thank you Korra; although sad to hear I am not alone in getting emotionally attached to properties. Have you heard anymore today or do you think it's too late now to exchange?
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 14th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    lcc86
    Thanks guys, my situation gets stranger, apparently the buyer spoke to EA yesterday and said they were ready to transfer the deposit today, so either something has happened overnight to make them change their mind or their solicitor isn't doing what the client wanted? Unfortunately the EA haven't been able to get hold of the buyer yet today but have left messages. Am hoping it's just crossed wires and we can sort it on Monday. Very bizarre.

MissT you're definitely not alone, we all get emotionally invested in properties, after all we're hoping they'll be our new homes! I have the same thoughts all the time. It's impossible not to even when you want to manage your expectations. Hope you can find something if you need to. Or better yet get the issues with your current one sorted.
    Last edited by lcc86; 14-10-2016 at 4:44 PM.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
    • Korra
    • By Korra 14th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    Thank you Korra; although sad to hear I am not alone in getting emotionally attached to properties. Have you heard anymore today or do you think it's too late now to exchange?
    I don't know what the latest they can exchange. I am going to email the solicitors to ask them as if it does happen after 5pm and I am on my way home, I won't be able to sort out the buildings insurance.
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 14th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    Usually 3:30 I think :/
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 14th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Thanks guys, my situation gets stranger, apparently the buyer spoke to EA yesterday and said they were ready to transfer the deposit today, so either something has happened overnight to make them change their mind or their solicitor isn't doing what the client wanted? Unfortunately the EA haven't been able to get hold of the buyer yet today but have left messages. Am hoping it's just crossed wires and we can sort it on Monday. Very bizarre.

MissT you're definitely not alone, we all get emotionally invested in properties, after all we're hoping they'll be our new homes! I have the same thoughts all the time. It's impossible not to even when you want to manage your expectations. Hope you can find something if you need to. Or better yet get the issues with your current one sorted.
    Originally posted by lcc86

Brilliant news about your buyers! I don't want to jinx it but it's looking really good that it'll all straighten out by Monday Perhaps their solicitor sent them straight? Annoying though that they can't get hold of the buyer :s

Thanks but I'd be amazed if we get the current house the vendor doesn't seem at all concerned about selling his house.
    • ST1991
    • By ST1991 14th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    ST1991
    I don't know if anyone has viewed any of my posts... but i am still waiting for exchange...

End of January 2016 - Our offer was accepted on the property
    Plans to complete by April, when our tenancy came to an end as our landlord was selling the flat

March 2016 - Tenants refused to move out of the house
    April 2016 - Our flat was sold, but the new owner wanted to let it out, so let us stay and pay rent pro-rata until we moved out

May 2016 - Tenants finally moved out, but issues found in contracts regarding right of way being blocked

July 2016 - we have to move out of our flat as landlord found long-term tenant
    End of July 2016 - We agreed to rent the house we are buying until it went through (otherwise the seller 'had' to rent it to someone else as couldn't afford to keep it empty)

August 2016 - Still no news, rent paid again

September 2016 - our mortgage offer is about to run out, but they extended it by a few weeks.
    Planned exchange/completion on 14th September but didn't happen. Waiting on signature from neighbors lender to remove right of way from deeds (its a terraced house...)
    Exchange didn't happen, and we apply for a new mortgage

October 2016 - New mortgage in place, and valuation is fine.
    Plan to exchange and complete to fall in line with rent on 21st

and breathe!

We were supposed to exchange today... but that hasn't happened.
    Our solicitor needs an undertaking from the sellers solicitors regarding a deed of variation and a deed of release both submitted to Land registry recently regarding right of way and boundary change.

Sellers solicitor on holiday and locum could not provide undertaking because it was 'very complicated'.

Our solicitor has applied for mortgage funds ahead of exchange (for the 3rd time...) for completion on the 21st October...
    They plan to exchange on monday at last!

This whole process has been sooo stressful. not to mention we cannot do anything to the house until it is ours, and it had FLEAS when we moved in, has damp in all downstairs walls and downstairs flooring in bare concrete.
    What is the point of putting down nice flooring/repairing if it can still fall through at any point
    • thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 14th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    thegirlintheattic
    Sorry to hear of the issues ST, LCC and Kora

We've had some sudden progress and will be exchanging towards the middle of next week with expected completion next Friday assuming the last of the enquires come back fine. I've got everything crossed but won't believe it until it's happened.
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
    • Korra
    • By Korra 14th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    So didn't exchange today as planned but more annoyed that the solicitor couldn't inform me it was too late to exchange.
    Here is hoping for better news next week for all of us.
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 14th Oct 16, 9:31 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Colloq - did you exchange?

Lewish - sounds like a waste of time to me. Frustrating...

Icc86 - think some solicitors try "too hard" and end up causing delays for everyone that really aren't needed.

appo1985 - congratulations

Korra - It completely disrupts sleep and work. My productivity was through the floor. I'm sorry it didnt happen today.

MissT - sorry to hear they are still messing you around. Do you have contact number of seller? Check memo of sale...after a week of the vendor not responding to EA, I text her myself. Write a letter of complaint to the EA. We were selling and buying through the same EA, so I have complained to them to try and get my sale fees reduced to help pay for the money we had already spent on the purchase.

There is also a property ombudsman if you are not happy with the way they handle your complaint.

Solicitor emailed me this afternoon to say thanks for docs that I handed in yesterday and that they had already forwarded this to buyers solicitor. She has also asked them to start deciding on a completion date. Exciting times.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 15th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Phew, all *my* paperwork sorted as of this morning.

3 more people to be in the same place!!

4 lumpy items freegled. 12 more boxes taped up. I am wondering if I should just donate all the things in boxes if I dont miss them before I move....?
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 15th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nLdn
    So I exchanged yesterday on my 2 bed flat in London. I thought I'd add my timescale here to give some balance of experiences.

Offer accepted 5 September. Mortgage approved a week later.

Exchange 14 October.

Offer to exchange, roughly 5 weeks.

Due to complete in another 3 weeks.

Friends who have bought have been amazed how quickly things went for me but that doesn't mean it was any less stress. Seller really dragged heels on some things but that's for another thread.

I'm a FTB and the place I'm buying was vacant throughout thw process so I suppose that helped.

So now I've got arrangements to make for the bit move in. Can't wait.
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 15th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    Like you and Korra I did get emotionally attached to the house, although I generally tried to not get too excited over it. Difficult to stop yourself though, especially if it's something you've wanted for a while.

Then we had the problems with the students refusing to leave and the resulting upset and anger really made me pull back from it all. Now our purchase is back on track but I'm refusing to look at Pinterest or consider costing up things like a new bathroom. That way if it falls through at the last minute I won't end up feeling sad that I have to change all my plans.

That said it's easier for me because I'm living with my parents, as is my fiancee, and the house needs some work before we move in. I'd find it a lot hard to not go furniture or paint shopping if we were moving in on completion day!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

House Deposit - £12132.18 | Furniture Fund - £805.86/£1000 Make £3 a Day in September - £15.24/£90 (2016 - £398.14) | Wombling - £47.08 | Wedding Fund: £2080.00/£4000
    • colloq
    • By colloq 16th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    colloq
    Congrats to all those that Exchanged yesterday, ourselves included

We've spent the last two days from morning until night ripping everything out. My hat goes out to those doing manual labour 6 days a week, my arms and legs are in pieces after two days!

Good luck to those waiting to complete, there is light at the end of the tunnel for everyone
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 16th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    Hating the waiting game...waitign to hear back what the mortgage company valued the property at vs the homebuyers report.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 16th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    I've seen a gorgeous new sofa earliest date is 15th December don't know if to bite the bullet and order HATE THIS WAITING surely this one can't fall through !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter