Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 365
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 13th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    3 weeks on from having an offer accepted, I haven't heard a thing about the sale from my solicitor or the vendors! I chase my solicitor every week who is also dealing with our sale. I think things are almost ready to exchange on that but obviously still waiting for the house we are buying. I chased up with the EA last week - hoping that my solicitor has now had contact with theirs, but if she has she isn't communicating it with us!

Would we normally be sent the sellers pack once it is received by our solicitor?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 13th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    I've just looked again at this deed of easement. We would have access to our back garden via this path - the only external route from front to back. However, we have to give access to our other neighbour to be able to maintain his property. This is via a set route, refered to in the title, for which we don't have details.

I don't know whether our vendors are trying to get easements from 'our' adjoining neighbour, or whether it hasn't occured to them that we would appear to have rights to walk across the path, but our other neighbours will not. If we have to give them access but they cannot use the path, their only other route would be through our house!

Madness, just madness. I'm not sure I even want to live next to this man....
    Originally posted by Slinky
    We have lived in our house for 36 years for the first 20 years everything was fine all the neighbors who have access across the lane at the back to get to each one property all got on. No one ever blocked anyones access. Then a guy moved into a house whose side of his house is at the back of the lane. He wanted work done to his house and we all agreed he could put scaffolding there to repair it. But he kept it there for months and did very little work. Any way we all said we had had enough and asked him to finish it by a said time. After that he got really funny and told us all we were not allowed to access our garages as we were damaging his wall . He has been nothing but trouble and we did find out that where he lived before they were glad to see the back of him. He has put his drainage in the lane and other things all without anyones permission When we got our deeds a few years ago we found out that each of the four property's has a right of access and no one can block the other and he has no rights. We call him Lord of the Manor but in the end we gave him a copy of the deeds to show him and he has been quiet ever since But it actually came to us calling the police when he dumped all his rubble in front of our garage I would be very careful of some one like you are describing as he sounds just like this guy who thinks he has rights above others and his property is more important than anyone else's.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 13th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    3 weeks on from having an offer accepted, I haven't heard a thing about the sale from my solicitor or the vendors! I chase my solicitor every week who is also dealing with our sale. I think things are almost ready to exchange on that but obviously still waiting for the house we are buying. I chased up with the EA last week - hoping that my solicitor has now had contact with theirs, but if she has she isn't communicating it with us!

Would we normally be sent the sellers pack once it is received by our solicitor?
    Originally posted by copperjar
    I think the solicitor will give it the once over and then should forward it to you to see if you are happy with fixtures and fittings etc.

The sellers will receive the contract first to sign and have witnessed however, and this will then be sent to the buyers.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 13th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Miss T - I really hope this ends well for you. Our vendors did the same but we pulled the plug early. It is a such a large amount of money to lose...we have still ended up needing to move into my mums due to the vendors being completely selfish and failing to communicate. Sounds like your solicitor is on the ball.

Good Luck...when do you expect to hear from your vendor?
    Natalie
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    about 8 weeks in and SO BORED OF WAITING

waiting on one gas safe duplicate certificate and one query from the management company

my new sofa has arrived and is staying under polythene in the kitchen

WHYYYYYYYY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG?

*eats more cake*
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 13th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Miss T - I really hope this ends well for you. Our vendors did the same but we pulled the plug early. It is a such a large amount of money to lose...we have still ended up needing to move into my mums due to the vendors being completely selfish and failing to communicate. Sounds like your solicitor is on the ball.

Good Luck...when do you expect to hear from your vendor?
    Originally posted by Bonfire Bride
    Thank you!

Kudos to you for knowing when to pull out and not being stringed along like we've been.

Our solicitor is brillaint and really puts all the other solicitors discussed about on this forum to shame.

We gave the vendor until Monday to decide and then we pull the plug if he doesn't agree to our exact demands. I think there's about a 5% chance of getting the house now.
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 14th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    Ours might be falling through The homebuyers report valued the property at £110,000. THe vendor wanted £120,000 and we got an offer accepted at £116,000. We dont have the saving to just 'meet in the middle' No mortgage = no house
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 14th Oct 16, 7:16 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Ours might be falling through The homebuyers report valued the property at £110,000. THe vendor wanted £120,000 and we got an offer accepted at £116,000. We dont have the saving to just 'meet in the middle' No mortgage = no house
    Originally posted by ultimatedingbat
    Sit tight; other buyers will have the same issue so they might have to take the cut.... crossing my fingers for you
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

My Vendors onward purchase has stalled. Tenants didn't move out on Monday as the S21 stipulated.

*grumpy Lewis*
    Originally posted by lewishardwick
    That's mighty frustrating, your vendors must be very stressed too ... let's hope it gets dealt with swiftly for you Lewis.

Originally posted by copperjar
    CopperJar, I saw my solicitor two weeks ago and she had our vendor's returned F&F forms etc all on her desk, but to date nothing has come through to us. I think it can depend on whether they are still waiting for additional information ... In our case it's flood reports etc. Keep going with those phone calls and chasing, sometimes it's the only way to find out what's going on, doesn't make it any less frustrating though, of course!

about 8 weeks in and SO BORED OF WAITING

waiting on one gas safe duplicate certificate and one query from the management company

my new sofa has arrived and is staying under polythene in the kitchen

WHYYYYYYYY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG?

*eats more cake*
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    I admire your positivity with the sofa ... I've almost saved up enough for a dining set, but am being very restrained for fear of jinxing it all! As above though, the whole waiting for paperwork thing can be very frustrating, I feel your pain!

Gawd, Having trouble multi-quoting, may have to come back for others!
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

We've finally made some progress, estate agent phoned to say that they'd heard from the vendor's solicitor that the contract had been sent out. They reckon searches will take 2 weeks as that's the average time and it's "quite quiet" at the moment so hopefully there isn't a huge backlog. Once the searches come back, THEN we can start talking about dates for exchange.

Tiny, tiny knot of stress has been released in my stomach. I hadn't realised how tense the last few weeks had made me!
    Originally posted by BritishBibliophile
    British, glad you're feeling a little less tense, this process takes far too long for carrying that kind of tension around in the body. Hopefully the two weeks will be at the outside and the searches will come back quickly ... I haven't heard about ours yet, but our buyer only paid for them 5 weeks in, so now we are waiting for hers. Good luck!

Joining in. We had an offer accepted on a 3 bed semi back in August, but our buyer was rejected by the housing association, (25% shared ownership, which has suited us well) so we had to remarket. We got confirmation a couple of days ago that the new buyer has been accepted, and I have given the housing association our solicitors details.

It's thankfully a very short chain - our vender has moved into sheltered accommodation so the property is empty. Our buyers are in rented. We also don't have a mortgage to worry about - providers don't like very part time and self employed- as we are using the Bank of Dad.
    Originally posted by Bonniepurple
    Good luck, Bonnie ... hopefully your short chain and friendly bank manager will mean the ordeal is over for you quite quickly!

My heart goes out to all of you waiting on exchange and I am ashamed to say that until it happened to me I never imagined it’d be so stressful and I hate to use this word, but,.. unfair.
    The solicitor has said that this is the one and only case in his whole career where he’d actually recommend “chipping,” we’ve compiled our actual expenses because of the delay, which works out at £3000! Our solicitor also said that he’s frankly amazed and angry that the seller and his solicitor would risk a fair, cash offer at a time when our local housing market is very sluggish.

Chipping? I haven't heard this before!

The estate agents who’re desperate to rescue the sale (I assume it’s their Christmas bonus) have told us that the seller is waiting on completion for his next house so we think he’s ignored us in the hope he could wait it out for his next house.

But we’re angry he would tell us he had somewhere to go and promised us it’d be a quick sale. That seems very dishonest of him and I feel like he’s simply transferred his expenses (of finding short term accommodation, storage costs) that we’ve had to pay instead. Also why not at least be honest about his intentions?

Too right, I'd be fuming, why should he think his time and money are more important than yours? You're right, sounds like he just passed his expenses down the line when instead he should be making the effort to keep you guys informed and onboard, by being honest, not treating you with such arrogance.

Regardless on if he really is waiting on his next house to complete I hope he’ll accept our final ultimatum for his sake and ours. I am sure his house will just sit for another two years waiting for a buyer thanks to his desire to save a few months in rent :/
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    Miss Tasmanian, I hope you hear something positive today, rather than having to wait until Monday. Fingers crossed for a favourable outcome for you.
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Oct 16, 8:13 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Update on mine - or no update really. Just waiting for one thing from my freeholder then we're good to go. If that comes back today we could exchange tomorrow. If not it's likely to be next week. Hope some others receive positive news today!
    Originally posted by lcc86
    Did the thing they wanted come back Lcc? Here's hoping that things happen very soon for you
    !
    I

Our problem is that any sniff of a delay and I think our upperchain will jump on it to stay put longer. They're in no rush to move at all so I do t want to give them any ammo.
    Originally posted by Levs01
    I understand your disquiet and frustration there Levs, the buying /selling malarkey is stressful enough, if you haven't got confidence in the chain either, that adds a whole other layer of stress and uncertainty. Hope a sensible solicitor pulls everyone in line. Fingers crossed for you.

Looking like today isn't going to be the day
    Originally posted by lee111s
    Lee... maybe today? Positive vibes to you.

Slinky, hi ... hmmm I agree that I wouldn't fancy ending up living next door to your vendor, sounds like a nightmare already, let alone getting him as a neighbour. Is your solicitor all over the legal aspects of what he's trying to pull with his 'rights' to this path?

PN x
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 13,843 Thanks
    Slinky
    I think we've more or less decided ours is a non-starter now.

The really annoying thing is, there's another property in the same street we would have been interested in that's sold in the past couple of days that would not have had these issues. There's one other that's still up for sale but the vendors have made some mad alterations which have left a 'study' that's about 4ft 3inches wide, so that's a non-starter. It's very unusual for anything to come up for sale in this street at all.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Oct 16, 8:24 AM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 13,843 Thanks
    Slinky

Slinky, hi ... hmmm I agree that I wouldn't fancy ending up living next door to your vendor, sounds like a nightmare already, let alone getting him as a neighbour. Is your solicitor all over the legal aspects of what he's trying to pull with his 'rights' to this path?

PN x
    Originally posted by PlaysNicely
    The paperwork yesterday with this deed of easement was the first we knew of it. I was expecting the delay in our solicitors receiving the title documents was due to it having to be redrawn to include this land. I only opened the envelope at 4pm so haven't been back to the solicitors yet. Will be sending a very pertinent question to the EA to be relayed to the vendor this morning.
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Originally posted by ultimatedingbat
    Ultimate, as BrassicWoman says, feed back what your lender says, via solicitor / EA then sit tight ... you've shown your commitment and paid out the expenses so far, it's now the vendors turn to do what's necessary. A downvaluation is always a risk you take as a seller, with luck they may already have considered that this may happen. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you.

So, last day of the week and progress so far:

Still nowt from solicitor or surveyor (several mails from surveyor promising phone calls and report, but none received). Will chase all again today.
    Got boiler serviced yesterday, for our own comfort, to get up to date certificate and to ensure that all in good working order for purchasers (who are older and don't realise that this is a bit of a cold house). However, turns out an additional valve plumbing type repair to the tune of £200 is needed, so they'll be back next week to do that. Hubby's a bit grumpy about this generally and with me specifically as he thinks I should have left it all alone, but thats not how my good conscience works!

He also doesn't understand the paperwork aspects required and that when you say on the cheeky (but ever so slightly legal) form that a system is in good working order ... etc! I tried to say that this is the point of a service and that we're lucky, that it could've been worse (more expensive, say a new boiler needed etc) but he thinks this was a case of "if it ain't broke ...."!

Hope everyone has a positive Forward-Step Friday. PN x
    Last edited by PlaysNicely; 14-10-2016 at 8:34 AM.
    • Korra
    • By Korra 14th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    Could today be the day exchange happens?

So I should be exchanging today with completion on the 28th. I viewed the property yesterday as the last time I saw it was at the end of May. Funds for the deposit were transferred yesterday also. The last I know is that the solicitors were waiting for Nationwide who my mortgage offer is with to confirm that they are happy for exchange to happen.

I am waiting for my solicitors to confirm it is happening today so I can get buildings insurance sorted.

I have had a sleepless night in anticipation for exchange to happen today.

Good luck to everyone else.
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 14th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    ap1985
    Good luck with the exchange Kora.

My husband and I have finally exchanged after all the issues in-between Now just got to sit and wait for our house to be built lol..

Good luck to every else going through or waiting for exchange....
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 14th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Good Luck Korra!

Slinky - keep very watchful eye on rightmove. We offered on house number 1 and it was rejected...they advised they needed much closer to asking.

decided to go with house number 2. House number 1 was also sold.

We pulled out of house number 2 as I dont think the vendors had any intention of selling.

The day we pulled out for house 2, house 1 came back on the market and it sold again in less than 12 hours They didnt even have chance to take the sold sign down

It may still come back on the market. Call the EA and let them know that if the sale falls through, you would like to view immediately.
    Natalie
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 14th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Good luck with the exchange Kora.

My husband and I have finally exchanged after all the issues in-between Now just got to sit and wait for our house to be built lol..

Good luck to every else going through or waiting for exchange....
    Originally posted by ap1985
    Brilliant news! Congrats!
    Natalie
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s

Lee... maybe today? Positive vibes to you.

PN x
    Hopefully! I've asked my buyer to chase with their lender for approval of the gifted deposit.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 14th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    lcc86

Did the thing they wanted come back Lcc? Here's hoping that things happen very soon for you
    !

PN x
    Hi PN, all they keep asking for is proof I've paid the service charge. The freeholder has filled out the form to say I have, yet they keep asking for accounts regardless, even though they've got copies of all the bills since the day I bought the place 4 years ago! I've even offered to send bank statements to show I've definitely paid. My solicitor contacted them again yesterday to effectively say what more could you want, all parties have said all bills have been paid, but no reply. That's all we're waiting for to be able to exchange. It's SO frustrating. My own solicitor has been great but my buyer's solicitor is worse than useless. Avoid dealing with anyone from Ezie conveyancing is all I'll say... Anyway long story short I don't think we'll be exchanging today. Hope others have more positive news!!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter