Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 866Posts
    • 844Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 364
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 13th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Levs01

My Vendors onward purchase has stalled. Tenants didn't move out on Monday as the S21 stipulated.

Yes, yes, yes, they don't HAVE to vacate. But will a Country Court allow a High Court application to evict?!

*grumpy Lewis*
    Originally posted by lewishardwick
    Oh I am sorry Lewis. How long have they said this could all take?
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 13th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    lee111s
    Looking like today isn't going to be the day
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 13th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile

My Vendors onward purchase has stalled. Tenants didn't move out on Monday as the S21 stipulated.

Yes, yes, yes, they don't HAVE to vacate. But will a Country Court allow a High Court application to evict?!

*grumpy Lewis*
    We had the same problem, only ours were students. We threatened to pull out of the sale completely so the agents fixed it by finding them a new place to live (I also have to wonder if they offered them the full deposit back to sweeten the deal).
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 17,855 Thanks
    Slinky
    Arggh, scuse me if I vent as a first post on this thread. All seemed to be going reasonably well with our purchase, albeit the vendor not being particularly helpful with regards a gas meter, however today we have received the first lot of 'real' paperwork from our solicitor. Our vendor has built a house next door he is moving into and to reach our back garden, it's accessed via strip of land between the garage and the new garden wall next door. It turns out the vendor is trying to retain ownership of this pathway, only granting us access to walk across it to reach our back garden with no materials to be stored there. Despite that being where he currently stores the 3 wheelie bins for the property we are buying. There's no reason for him to retain ownership of this pathway, his property is not accessible from it. He also wants a right of access across our drive to reach this pathway. Now I can understand him wanting to retain the right of access to maintain his wall, the owners of the property on the otherside have similar rights, but to retain ownership of the land....... he's having a laugh.

I can see this being a dealbreaker.

/Vent over, sorry.
    • nataliekatemese123
    • By nataliekatemese123 13th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    nataliekatemese123
    Popped back on to see how you're all getting on and to say that happily we are all moved in!

7 weeks from offer accepted to completing - bloody nightmare getting it all through so quickly but so pleased to be in before christmas.

hope that all your completions come soon enough!
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 13th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    Oh I am sorry Lewis. How long have they said this could all take?
    Originally posted by Levs01
    Not yet. I found out yesterday so thought I'd give all involved a couple of days to get the necessary in order. They did mention arranging bailiffs. If it's High Court (fingers xx'ed) they offer a quick turn-around so might just be a week. If it's County Court it can be much longer.

I will see what the agent says tomorrow.

I really don't want to pull out, my living situation is stable at the moment, but I really do want to be back closer to my friends and work!
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 13th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    That would be a deal breaker for us too Slinky, sounds like it's a vendor who doesn't want to let go of "their" house!

We've finally made some progress, estate agent phoned to say that they'd heard from the vendor's solicitor that the contract had been sent out. They reckon searches will take 2 weeks as that's the average time and it's "quite quiet" at the moment so hopefully there isn't a huge backlog. Once the searches come back, THEN we can start talking about dates for exchange.

Tiny, tiny knot of stress has been released in my stomach. I hadn't realised how tense the last few weeks had made me!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 17,855 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've just looked again at this deed of easement. We would have access to our back garden via this path - the only external route from front to back. However, we have to give access to our other neighbour to be able to maintain his property. This is via a set route, refered to in the title, for which we don't have details.

I don't know whether our vendors are trying to get easements from 'our' adjoining neighbour, or whether it hasn't occured to them that we would appear to have rights to walk across the path, but our other neighbours will not. If we have to give them access but they cannot use the path, their only other route would be through our house!

Madness, just madness. I'm not sure I even want to live next to this man....
    • Bonniepurple
    • By Bonniepurple 13th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Bonniepurple
    Joining in. We had an offer accepted on a 3 bed semi back in August, but our buyer was rejected by the housing association, (25% shared ownership, which has suited us well) so we had to remarket. We got confirmation a couple of days ago that the new buyer has been accepted, and I have given the housing association our solicitors details.

It's thankfully a very short chain - our vender has moved into sheltered accommodation so the property is empty. Our buyers are in rented. We also don't have a mortgage to worry about - providers don't like very part time and self employed- as we are using the Bank of Dad.
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 13th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    My heart goes out to all of you waiting on exchange and I am ashamed to say that until it happened to me I never imagined it’d be so stressful and I hate to use this word, but,.. unfair.

Slinky, what an awful choice having to either negotiate or walk away! Because I don’t see how you can accept that.

Really happy you’ve had some progress BritishBibliophile!

Lewishardwick I wouldn’t give up just yet! But perhaps time for an ultimatum?

So happy for you Natalie!

Sorry Lee L

We were advised by our friends and family and even our solicitor, to a lesser extent, to pull out the sale because the trust with the vendor has broken down because he did after all ignore us for six weeks, told us when viewing the house that he actually already had a house to go to, and finally he accepted our offer which specified that we expected a quick sale.

However (perhaps stupidly?)we’ve decided instead to give our seller one last chance, maybe it’ll just be a big waste of time but at this point it’s worth a shot.

We’ll buy the property but the seller will have to lower the price (to account for our extra expenses) and choose a firm date for completion this month or the next if he wants to rescue the sale.

The solicitor has said that this is the one and only case in his whole career where he’d actually recommend “chipping,” we’ve compiled our actual expenses because of the delay, which works out at £3000! Our solicitor also said that he’s frankly amazed and angry that the seller and his solicitor would risk a fair, cash offer at a time when our local housing market is very sluggish.

The estate agents who’re desperate to rescue the sale (I assume it’s their Christmas bonus) have told us that the seller is waiting on completion for his next house so we think he’s ignored us in the hope he could wait it out for his next house.

But we’re angry he would tell us he had somewhere to go and promised us it’d be a quick sale. That seems very dishonest of him and I feel like he’s simply transferred his expenses (of finding short term accommodation, storage costs) that we’ve had to pay instead. Also why not at least be honest about his intentions?

Regardless on if he really is waiting on his next house to complete I hope he’ll accept our final ultimatum for his sake and ours. I am sure his house will just sit for another two years waiting for a buyer thanks to his desire to save a few months in rent :/
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 13th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    copperjar
    3 weeks on from having an offer accepted, I haven't heard a thing about the sale from my solicitor or the vendors! I chase my solicitor every week who is also dealing with our sale. I think things are almost ready to exchange on that but obviously still waiting for the house we are buying. I chased up with the EA last week - hoping that my solicitor has now had contact with theirs, but if she has she isn't communicating it with us!

Would we normally be sent the sellers pack once it is received by our solicitor?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 13th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    I've just looked again at this deed of easement. We would have access to our back garden via this path - the only external route from front to back. However, we have to give access to our other neighbour to be able to maintain his property. This is via a set route, refered to in the title, for which we don't have details.

I don't know whether our vendors are trying to get easements from 'our' adjoining neighbour, or whether it hasn't occured to them that we would appear to have rights to walk across the path, but our other neighbours will not. If we have to give them access but they cannot use the path, their only other route would be through our house!

Madness, just madness. I'm not sure I even want to live next to this man....
    Originally posted by Slinky
    We have lived in our house for 36 years for the first 20 years everything was fine all the neighbors who have access across the lane at the back to get to each one property all got on. No one ever blocked anyones access. Then a guy moved into a house whose side of his house is at the back of the lane. He wanted work done to his house and we all agreed he could put scaffolding there to repair it. But he kept it there for months and did very little work. Any way we all said we had had enough and asked him to finish it by a said time. After that he got really funny and told us all we were not allowed to access our garages as we were damaging his wall . He has been nothing but trouble and we did find out that where he lived before they were glad to see the back of him. He has put his drainage in the lane and other things all without anyones permission When we got our deeds a few years ago we found out that each of the four property's has a right of access and no one can block the other and he has no rights. We call him Lord of the Manor but in the end we gave him a copy of the deeds to show him and he has been quiet ever since But it actually came to us calling the police when he dumped all his rubble in front of our garage I would be very careful of some one like you are describing as he sounds just like this guy who thinks he has rights above others and his property is more important than anyone else's.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 13th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    3 weeks on from having an offer accepted, I haven't heard a thing about the sale from my solicitor or the vendors! I chase my solicitor every week who is also dealing with our sale. I think things are almost ready to exchange on that but obviously still waiting for the house we are buying. I chased up with the EA last week - hoping that my solicitor has now had contact with theirs, but if she has she isn't communicating it with us!

Would we normally be sent the sellers pack once it is received by our solicitor?
    Originally posted by copperjar
    I think the solicitor will give it the once over and then should forward it to you to see if you are happy with fixtures and fittings etc.

The sellers will receive the contract first to sign and have witnessed however, and this will then be sent to the buyers.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 13th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Miss T - I really hope this ends well for you. Our vendors did the same but we pulled the plug early. It is a such a large amount of money to lose...we have still ended up needing to move into my mums due to the vendors being completely selfish and failing to communicate. Sounds like your solicitor is on the ball.

Good Luck...when do you expect to hear from your vendor?
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015

Save 12k in 2017 - #152
    £1,500/£8000

• BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    about 8 weeks in and SO BORED OF WAITING

waiting on one gas safe duplicate certificate and one query from the management company

my new sofa has arrived and is staying under polythene in the kitchen

WHYYYYYYYY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG?

*eats more cake*
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 13th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Miss T - I really hope this ends well for you. Our vendors did the same but we pulled the plug early. It is a such a large amount of money to lose...we have still ended up needing to move into my mums due to the vendors being completely selfish and failing to communicate. Sounds like your solicitor is on the ball.

Good Luck...when do you expect to hear from your vendor?
    Originally posted by Bonfire Bride
    Thank you!

Kudos to you for knowing when to pull out and not being stringed along like we've been.

Our solicitor is brillaint and really puts all the other solicitors discussed about on this forum to shame.

We gave the vendor until Monday to decide and then we pull the plug if he doesn't agree to our exact demands. I think there's about a 5% chance of getting the house now.
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 14th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    Ours might be falling through The homebuyers report valued the property at £110,000. THe vendor wanted £120,000 and we got an offer accepted at £116,000. We dont have the saving to just 'meet in the middle' No mortgage = no house
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 14th Oct 16, 7:16 AM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Ours might be falling through The homebuyers report valued the property at £110,000. THe vendor wanted £120,000 and we got an offer accepted at £116,000. We dont have the saving to just 'meet in the middle' No mortgage = no house
    Originally posted by ultimatedingbat
    Sit tight; other buyers will have the same issue so they might have to take the cut.... crossing my fingers for you
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

*grumpy Lewis*
    That's mighty frustrating, your vendors must be very stressed too ... let's hope it gets dealt with swiftly for you Lewis.

Originally posted by copperjar
    CopperJar, I saw my solicitor two weeks ago and she had our vendor's returned F&F forms etc all on her desk, but to date nothing has come through to us. I think it can depend on whether they are still waiting for additional information ... In our case it's flood reports etc. Keep going with those phone calls and chasing, sometimes it's the only way to find out what's going on, doesn't make it any less frustrating though, of course!

about 8 weeks in and SO BORED OF WAITING

waiting on one gas safe duplicate certificate and one query from the management company

my new sofa has arrived and is staying under polythene in the kitchen

WHYYYYYYYY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG?

*eats more cake*
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    I admire your positivity with the sofa ... I've almost saved up enough for a dining set, but am being very restrained for fear of jinxing it all! As above though, the whole waiting for paperwork thing can be very frustrating, I feel your pain!

Gawd, Having trouble multi-quoting, may have to come back for others!
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

We've finally made some progress, estate agent phoned to say that they'd heard from the vendor's solicitor that the contract had been sent out. They reckon searches will take 2 weeks as that's the average time and it's "quite quiet" at the moment so hopefully there isn't a huge backlog. Once the searches come back, THEN we can start talking about dates for exchange.

Tiny, tiny knot of stress has been released in my stomach. I hadn't realised how tense the last few weeks had made me!
    Originally posted by BritishBibliophile
    British, glad you're feeling a little less tense, this process takes far too long for carrying that kind of tension around in the body. Hopefully the two weeks will be at the outside and the searches will come back quickly ... I haven't heard about ours yet, but our buyer only paid for them 5 weeks in, so now we are waiting for hers. Good luck!

Joining in. We had an offer accepted on a 3 bed semi back in August, but our buyer was rejected by the housing association, (25% shared ownership, which has suited us well) so we had to remarket. We got confirmation a couple of days ago that the new buyer has been accepted, and I have given the housing association our solicitors details.

It's thankfully a very short chain - our vender has moved into sheltered accommodation so the property is empty. Our buyers are in rented. We also don't have a mortgage to worry about - providers don't like very part time and self employed- as we are using the Bank of Dad.
    Originally posted by Bonniepurple
    Good luck, Bonnie ... hopefully your short chain and friendly bank manager will mean the ordeal is over for you quite quickly!

My heart goes out to all of you waiting on exchange and I am ashamed to say that until it happened to me I never imagined it’d be so stressful and I hate to use this word, but,.. unfair.
    The solicitor has said that this is the one and only case in his whole career where he’d actually recommend “chipping,” we’ve compiled our actual expenses because of the delay, which works out at £3000! Our solicitor also said that he’s frankly amazed and angry that the seller and his solicitor would risk a fair, cash offer at a time when our local housing market is very sluggish.

Chipping? I haven't heard this before!

The estate agents who’re desperate to rescue the sale (I assume it’s their Christmas bonus) have told us that the seller is waiting on completion for his next house so we think he’s ignored us in the hope he could wait it out for his next house.

But we’re angry he would tell us he had somewhere to go and promised us it’d be a quick sale. That seems very dishonest of him and I feel like he’s simply transferred his expenses (of finding short term accommodation, storage costs) that we’ve had to pay instead. Also why not at least be honest about his intentions?

Too right, I'd be fuming, why should he think his time and money are more important than yours? You're right, sounds like he just passed his expenses down the line when instead he should be making the effort to keep you guys informed and onboard, by being honest, not treating you with such arrogance.

Regardless on if he really is waiting on his next house to complete I hope he’ll accept our final ultimatum for his sake and ours. I am sure his house will just sit for another two years waiting for a buyer thanks to his desire to save a few months in rent :/
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    Miss Tasmanian, I hope you hear something positive today, rather than having to wait until Monday. Fingers crossed for a favourable outcome for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

4,007Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin